Start by marking “Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)

Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden #6)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  2,895 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
While spending Christmas break at an Arizona dude ranch, Trixie and the Bob-Whites work to solve several mysteries--a phony cowboy, disappearing staff, and puzzling cries in the night.
Published May 25th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery in Arizona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery in Arizona

Sheryl Tribble
Jul 03, 2013 Sheryl Tribble rated it it was ok
I think Julie Campbell's own marriage issues come through in this book (she and her husband were in the process of separating at the time) -- the boys and girls are more "rivalrous" in this book than in any other I can remember, practically settling into opposing camps at various points. It's also the most episodic of the Campbell books, with the fewest mystery elements (there's an on-going background mystery, but Trixie does no sleuthing on that one, and the other mini-mysteries are all rapidly ...more
Melody
Jul 18, 2012 Melody rated it did not like it
This book is so bad I have a hard time articulating the ways in which it sucks. Let's hit the easy targets first, heap big stereotypum, ugh. Completely offensive, on every level. Also easy to complain about; the didactic and horribly stilted writing. It sounds like a travelogue about Arizona written by aliens. This book reads as though it was written by a corporate committee. The characters, completely unreal, completely stereotypical.

There's just nothing about this book to like.
Susan Liston
Haven't read this in ages and ages. Quite nostalgic, but wow are these books dated. Written in the 50's , I originally read them in the 60's when they weren't so much. Like this:

"The stewardess stopped beside their seats then and introduced herself. "I'm a full blooded Apache Indian" she told them. "Barbara Slater is my American name and I was educated in public schools." She slipped into the empty seat beside Di. "My Indian name is too long to remember. So won't you please just call me Babs?"

"Y
Lydia Dyslin
Jun 25, 2015 Lydia Dyslin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, mysteries
The last book in the Trixie Belden series by Julie Campbell! I took more of my time with this one. The Kathryn Kenney books are okay, some are good and some are horrible, Kathryn Kenney is a pseudonym name so it really depends on the author.

Anyway, I loved this book, there wasn't really much of a mystery to it - it was just Trixie and the Bob-Whites trying to help many different people on an Arizona dude ranch they are staying at for the holidays.

I loved this book except for the fact that ther
Dayna
Jan 26, 2015 Dayna rated it it was ok
Kelly
Jun 28, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok
This is one of my least favorite early Trixies, and coincidentally, the very last one I owned. The book reads like some crappy Fodor's/history guide for the southwest. The depictions of Native Americans and Mexicans are dated and offensive (HOW many times can Mart call a woman a squaw?). Though I had to wonder, reading this book in 2010 -- would the Orlando family (who left the ranch to return to Mexico to attend a family gathering) be able to get back into Arizona in this day and age, or would ...more
Joy Gerbode
Good again ... pretty good Arizona history here.

August 2013 ... another good read, quick and easy, fun mystery, plus lots of information about Arizona and the culture of the American Indians there.
Maureen
Jan 17, 2015 Maureen rated it it was ok
This slight and silly Trixie is still good fun, though nowhere near as good as greats such as The Gatehouse Mystery. Not enough menace or concrete mystery to solve.
Heather
May 09, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alex
May 21, 2017 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a vague feeling of dread approaching this one, as if this had been my least favorite book of the series. Fortunately, not only was it not as painful as the last one, it undid some of the greatest sins of the prior book. Yes, there was no real threat, but they resolved a significant number of little dramatic challenges by talking to people. Additionally, it carries a clear lesson of the impacts of running out on problems, rather than talking them through. While not the strongest outing for ...more
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it
The first book set outside of New York, as the six Bob-Whites travel to Arizona for Christmas. Never truly loved this one. I would've preferred Christmas in Sleepyside and couldn't imagine MY parents ever letting me go away during the holidays.

2012 Read:
I'm not overly fond of Julie Campbell's final contribution to the series she created, but with my vacation (and first visit) to Arizona upon me, I had to read Trixie Belden and the Mystery in Arizona. The Bob-Whites head to Tucson and Di's uncle'
Bobbi Rightmyer
Oct 31, 2008 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
Trixie and the rest of the Bob-Whites are off to spend the Christmas holiday at Di's Uncle Monty's dude ranch in Arizona. At first, Trixie was afraid she would not be allowed to go because her school work wasn't up to par. But after her brothers, Brian and Mart, put in a good word for her, Trixie is allowed to go on one condition: she must work on her algebra and English theme at least one hour every day. Bummer!

After a long flight to Arizona, the gang is rearing to go, only there is a problem.
April Brown
Dec 04, 2012 April Brown rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1958.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - a
Dawn Michelle
Sep 24, 2007 Dawn Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie and the gang head for Di's Uncle Monty's dude ranch in Arizona. Trixie is only allowed to go on the condition that she work on her algebra, her very worst subject at school. The trip turns out differently than expected when the gang has to go to work for Uncle Monty after members of his staff mysteriously leave. (copied from The Trixie Belden Fan Website)

** this is the first one I ever read of this series and I fell in love with the books and the writing!!! Oh, and this is the "real" Uncl
Loraine
Di Lynch’s Uncle Monty has invited Trixie, Honey, and the rest of the Bob-Whites to his Arizona dude ranch for winter vacation. There will be lots to do—horseback riding, swimming, festivals—but Trixie is hoping for an activity that isn’t on the usual list. She wants another mystery.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Trixie, Honey, and the Bobwhites as a youngster often re-reading these mysteries several times. I know I read The Red Trailer Mystery 4 or 5 times. These are clean, cozy mysteries wit
Theresa
Oct 29, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Simple childhood mystery. Nothing scary about it. I didn't know what to expect when I started this Trixie Belden book, but what I found was a gateway back to a simpler time and a lot of good fun. The Bob-whites go to an Arizona dude ranch for Christmas holiday and Trixie as always manages to find more than one mystery.

I laughed with the Bob-Whites and wondered how they managed to stick together when they are constantly fighting. Maybe that's my own bad trait. I can't stand bickering and I wouldn
Miri
May 04, 2014 Miri rated it liked it
Trixie and the Bobwhites are off to Arizona to visit Uncle Monty on his dude ranch for a pleasant vacation, of course with Trixie around, there's not likely going to be much relaxing going on, not with her penchant for finding mysteries. When the Dude Ranch's help mysteriously take off, leaving the ranch with no help, just before the Christmas holidays, the Bobwhites step in the fill their shoes, becoming, maids, waiter and cooks and of course delving in the the personal problems of the guests a ...more
Lorraine
Mar 20, 2012 Lorraine rated it liked it
The Bob-Whites are given a trip to Tucson to spend Christmas on Diana Lynch's uncle's dude ranch. When they arrive, Uncle Monty informs them that he'll have to close down as his cleaning and serving staff, all members of one family, have left suddenly. Trixie impulsively offers the services of the Bob-Whites: the boys serve and the girls make beds and dust, and do dishes. Trixie wonders what happened to the family and spends time thinking about it when she should be studying (she's failing math ...more
Madeline Henricksen
Trixie Belden and the Happy Valley Mystery is book number nine in the Trixie Belden mystery series. Trixie Belden and Honey Wheeler are best friends, horse lovers, and detectives who always seem to accidentally find a mystery waiting to be solved. In this book, the pair find themselves at Di Lynch's Uncle Monty's dude ranch. The friends help Uncle Monty with the ranch and earn $200 for their clubhouse because the family that usually manage the ranch mysteriously left.

I love the Trixie Belden Mys
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Trixie and her friends get to spend Christmas in Arizona and Di's uncle's dude ranch. Well, maybe. When they arrive, they learn that most of the staff has left. Can Trixie figure out why? And what is bothering three of the guests? This isn't a typical mystery, but I still like it anyway. The characters are strong and there are mysterious things going on. The only flaw in my mind is the travelogue chapter that lectures us on Arizona.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Naomi
May 11, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
Tacey
Feb 21, 2013 Tacey rated it really liked it
The BWGs spend Christmas at Di's real uncle's dude ranch. Trixie is allowed to go as long as she studies math and English a little each day of the trip to prep for midterms.

It may be viewed as 'cheesy' today, but my favorite part is how the guests at the ranch end up assuming the roles of the missing Orlandos, and in doing so, get out of the funk they were in.

Oh, I think I also detected some jealousy from Jim when he saw Tenny taking an interest in Trixie.
J.H.
Jul 07, 2016 J.H. rated it it was amazing
Just re-read this one and liked it as much as I remember. Don't see it as a weak link in the series. Who needs a villain when you've got the root of Di's stewardess ambitions, the boys in tight matador pants, and Jim making Trixie blush when he says she'll be the most graceful lady on the floor for the square dance and asks to be her partner.
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it
Shelves: belden
Trixie and the girls were helping with housekeeping when they met up with one of the other guests on the ranch in her room. I remember about the fingernail polish on silver jewelry; I have yet to try that combination. Sometimes when I where silver jewelry too long, my skin does change a slightly different color.
Khushi
May 17, 2012 Khushi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trixie-belden
Summary:

A girl called Trixie Belden loves mysteries. She belongs to a club called the Bob-Whites of Glen(BWGs) on of the club member's, Diana Lynch's, uncle has called them for a trip to Arizona(his home)for Christmas. Di's dad, Mr.Lynch takes them by an airplane to Arizona. But when they reach there Di's uncle is not that happy. Read the book to find out the mystery and how Trixie solves it.
Paula
Jul 04, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A trip down memory lane! I read slews of Trixie Belden adventures (Nancy Drew, too!) as a kid and loved them and it's still a fun read. I appreciated the fact that no one attempted to update or modernize the story the way the did with the Nancy Drew series. TherRelationships and values are as valid today as they were in the 50's.
Miranda
May 08, 2015 Miranda rated it it was amazing
This book wasn't really a mystery. I mean, most of the Trixie Belden books have some kind of grand illegal plot, but this one didn't really have a tie-in factor. A lot of the elements were sort of predictable. I still loved it though! Tribe Belden, Honey Wheeler, Jim Frayne, Mart and Brian Belden and Di Lynch rock!!!!!!!!!!!
Dina
Apr 24, 2009 Dina rated it really liked it
Shelves: trixie-belden, 2013
This one is probably my least favorite of the JC books, but a worthwhile read nonetheless. I think instead of spending Christmas at uncle Monty's dude ranch, it would've been awesome to have Christmas in Sleepyside. I did like the ending though, especially when the Wellington kids came to the ranch.
Susan
Jun 23, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I have the entire set of these books which made me a reader when I was in middle school. I decided that they needed dusting and then I started rereading them for about the 10th time. I loved these books and how simple life was back then, and how having millionaire friends is the best way to get to experience new things.
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char
More about Julie Campbell...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)

“The stewardess stopped beside their seats then and introduced herself. “I’m a full-blooded Apache Indian,” she told them. “Barbara Slater is my American name and I was educated in public schools.” She slipped into the empty seat beside Di. “My Indian name is too long to remember. So won’t you please just call me Babs?” 0 likes
“Jane’s little cowgirl seemed made to order for riding Tenny’s bucking bronco.” 0 likes