Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)

Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden #6)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,150 ratings  ·  40 reviews
While spending Christmas break at an Arizona dude ranch, Trixie and the Bob-Whites work to solve several mysteries--a phony cowboy, disappearing staff, and puzzling cries in the night.
Published May 25th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery in Arizona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery in Arizona

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
6th out of 39 books — 12 voters
Alaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerLooking for Alaska by John GreenCrazy in Alabama by Mark ChildressAlaska by James A. MichenerRaising Arizona by Joel Coen
Name of State (USA) in Title: A-C
57th out of 125 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
This book is so bad I have a hard time articulating the ways in which it sucks. Let's hit the easy targets first, heap big stereotypum, ugh. Completely offensive, on every level. Also easy to complain about; the didactic and horribly stilted writing. It sounds like a travelogue about Arizona written by aliens. This book reads as though it was written by a corporate committee. The characters, completely unreal, completely stereotypical.

There's just nothing about this book to like.
Sheryl Tribble
I think Julie Campbell's own marriage issues come through in this book (she and her husband were in the process of separating at the time) -- the boys and girls are more "rivalrous" in this book than in any other I can remember, practically settling into opposing camps at various points. It's also the most episodic of the Campbell books, with the fewest mystery elements (there's an on-going background mystery, but Trixie does no sleuthing on that one, and the other mini-mysteries are all rapidly...more
Miri
Trixie and the Bobwhites are off to Arizona to visit Uncle Monty on his dude ranch for a pleasant vacation, of course with Trixie around, there's not likely going to be much relaxing going on, not with her penchant for finding mysteries. When the Dude Ranch's help mysteriously take off, leaving the ranch with no help, just before the Christmas holidays, the Bobwhites step in the fill their shoes, becoming, maids, waiter and cooks and of course delving in the the personal problems of the guests a...more
Joy Gerbode
Good again ... pretty good Arizona history here.

August 2013 ... another good read, quick and easy, fun mystery, plus lots of information about Arizona and the culture of the American Indians there.
Mark Baker
Trixie and her friends get to spend Christmas in Arizona and Di's uncle's dude ranch. Well, maybe. When they arrive, they learn that most of the staff has left. Can Trixie figure out why? And what is bothering three of the guests? This isn't a typical mystery, but I still like it anyway. The characters are strong and there are mysterious things going on. The only flaw in my mind is the travelogue chapter that lectures us on Arizona.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Bonnie
The first book set outside of New York, as the six Bob-Whites travel to Arizona for Christmas. Never truly loved this one. I would've preferred Christmas in Sleepyside and couldn't imagine MY parents ever letting me go away during the holidays.

2012 Read:
I'm not overly fond of Julie Campbell's final contribution to the series she created, but with my vacation (and first visit) to Arizona upon me, I had to read Trixie Belden and the Mystery in Arizona. The Bob-Whites head to Tucson and Di's uncle'...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
Trixie and the rest of the Bob-Whites are off to spend the Christmas holiday at Di's Uncle Monty's dude ranch in Arizona. At first, Trixie was afraid she would not be allowed to go because her school work wasn't up to par. But after her brothers, Brian and Mart, put in a good word for her, Trixie is allowed to go on one condition: she must work on her algebra and English theme at least one hour every day. Bummer!

After a long flight to Arizona, the gang is rearing to go, only there is a problem....more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1958.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - a...more
Naomi
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
Dawn Michelle
Trixie and the gang head for Di's Uncle Monty's dude ranch in Arizona. Trixie is only allowed to go on the condition that she work on her algebra, her very worst subject at school. The trip turns out differently than expected when the gang has to go to work for Uncle Monty after members of his staff mysteriously leave. (copied from The Trixie Belden Fan Website)

** this is the first one I ever read of this series and I fell in love with the books and the writing!!! Oh, and this is the "real" Uncl...more
Kelly
This is one of my least favorite early Trixies, and coincidentally, the very last one I owned. The book reads like some crappy Fodor's/history guide for the southwest. The depictions of Native Americans and Mexicans are dated and offensive (HOW many times can Mart call a woman a squaw?). Though I had to wonder, reading this book in 2010 -- would the Orlando family (who left the ranch to return to Mexico to attend a family gathering) be able to get back into Arizona in this day and age, or would...more
Theresa
Simple childhood mystery. Nothing scary about it. I didn't know what to expect when I started this Trixie Belden book, but what I found was a gateway back to a simpler time and a lot of good fun. The Bob-whites go to an Arizona dude ranch for Christmas holiday and Trixie as always manages to find more than one mystery.

I laughed with the Bob-Whites and wondered how they managed to stick together when they are constantly fighting. Maybe that's my own bad trait. I can't stand bickering and I wouldn...more
Lorraine
The Bob-Whites are given a trip to Tucson to spend Christmas on Diana Lynch's uncle's dude ranch. When they arrive, Uncle Monty informs them that he'll have to close down as his cleaning and serving staff, all members of one family, have left suddenly. Trixie impulsively offers the services of the Bob-Whites: the boys serve and the girls make beds and dust, and do dishes. Trixie wonders what happened to the family and spends time thinking about it when she should be studying (she's failing math...more
Madeline Henricksen
Trixie Belden and the Happy Valley Mystery is book number nine in the Trixie Belden mystery series. Trixie Belden and Honey Wheeler are best friends, horse lovers, and detectives who always seem to accidentally find a mystery waiting to be solved. In this book, the pair find themselves at Di Lynch's Uncle Monty's dude ranch. The friends help Uncle Monty with the ranch and earn $200 for their clubhouse because the family that usually manage the ranch mysteriously left.

I love the Trixie Belden Mys...more
Another Thyme
The last of the Trixie Belden books to have been written by Julie Campbell.
Tacey
The BWGs spend Christmas at Di's real uncle's dude ranch. Trixie is allowed to go as long as she studies math and English a little each day of the trip to prep for midterms.

It may be viewed as 'cheesy' today, but my favorite part is how the guests at the ranch end up assuming the roles of the missing Orlandos, and in doing so, get out of the funk they were in.

Oh, I think I also detected some jealousy from Jim when he saw Tenny taking an interest in Trixie.
Khushi
Summary:

A girl called Trixie Belden loves mysteries. She belongs to a club called the Bob-Whites of Glen(BWGs) on of the club member's, Diana Lynch's, uncle has called them for a trip to Arizona(his home)for Christmas. Di's dad, Mr.Lynch takes them by an airplane to Arizona. But when they reach there Di's uncle is not that happy. Read the book to find out the mystery and how Trixie solves it.
Paula
A trip down memory lane! I read slews of Trixie Belden adventures (Nancy Drew, too!) as a kid and loved them and it's still a fun read. I appreciated the fact that no one attempted to update or modernize the story the way the did with the Nancy Drew series. TherRelationships and values are as valid today as they were in the 50's.
Jill
May 05, 2012 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: belden
Trixie and the girls were helping with housekeeping when they met up with one of the other guests on the ranch in her room. I remember about the fingernail polish on silver jewelry; I have yet to try that combination. Sometimes when I where silver jewelry too long, my skin does change a slightly different color.
Dina
This one is probably my least favorite of the JC books, but a worthwhile read nonetheless. I think instead of spending Christmas at uncle Monty's dude ranch, it would've been awesome to have Christmas in Sleepyside. I did like the ending though, especially when the Wellington kids came to the ranch.
Meen
Jun 21, 2008 Meen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: Musta been my mama!
I ate UP Trixie Belden when I was a little girl! (But I never got into Nancy Drew... Seems like Trixie was younger and more of a tomboy, so I must've identified with her more.) I lost all my books somewhere along the way, but I bought the five vintage books I own now at an antique sale in the mall.
Lisa
Book 6. This was the last book in the series written by the original author and was really quite lame. It was nice to have a change of setting though. I liked how the book had so many different people in it than are normally seen in "Trixie's world".
Ruth
I wasn't crazy about the kids being away for the holidays & it took too strong a southwestern feel for me. I could only relate to Trix's lack of studying.... seemed to take forever just to tell the story itself.
Tiffany
Are the more recent editions modernized? It was quite funny to read a 50 year old version of Trixie's visit to a dude ranch in Tucson, Arizona (my home state). I have a nostalgic love of Trixie Belden books.
Tara Calaby
This book might have been okay if it didn't spend so much time 'teaching' things. The depictions of Native Americans and Mexicans were very uncomfortable as well.
Debra
My schoolmate Peggy owned the whole series of these books, and loaned them to me one or two at a time to read in junior high school. I loved them!
Mia
Re-reading old favorites. Was given a few copies of Trixie books form a friend. Mine disappeared during a move.
Kristen
What; no 1985 Golden Books edition available? Oh well. My copy of this one came from Polly's Books in La Vista, NE.
crazy
this books alright with me it didnt touch me as MUCH AS OTHER BOOKS HAVE!!!
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char...more
More about Julie Campbell...
The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2) The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5) The Gatehouse Mystery The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)