Start by marking “Meaning Of Masonry” as Want to Read:
Meaning Of Masonry

Meaning Of Masonry

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  209 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In this classic book the author, himself a Mason, reveals the relationship between modern Masonry & the Ancient Mysteries; the philosophy & meaning of the symbols & rites of the Craft.
Published by Barnes Noble (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Meaning Of Masonry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meaning Of Masonry

John Rivera
Dec 25, 2008 John Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, religion
This was quite a read that I attempted to read as carefully as possible but even then, I don't feel that I completely understand and appreciate what Wilmshurst was attempting to convey.

Nevertheless, this work has truly enlightened me to the true purpose of Freemasonry and my place as a Mason. It makes me wish that could repeat my degrees and understand them now that I am armed with such knowledge. Even while I feel a sense of lack, I am also filled with a sense of purpose that I need to better u
Sherrill Watson
The edition of this book that I got from the Sun City library had a different cover, with different symbols of Masonry. ORIGONALLY PUBLISHED IN 1922!! Mr. W.L. Wilmshurst is a dyed-in-the-wool (pun intended) Enghlishman who writes from his unshaken belief in Masonry. Taking that into consideration (what about Islam? Confucianism? Buddhism?) he argues and puts forth convincing arguments for the study of Masonry as THE method of attaining Enlightenment.
Fredrick Danysh
Masons are a secret society that takes on the aspects of a religion. The author promotes the role of masonry as a dedication to science. To be a true Mason one has to forsake one's religious beliefs. Some of the basic tenants are explained.
Karlo
Nov 06, 2015 Karlo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masonic-occult
Still one of the best books on Freemasonry I've ever read; both from an Esoteric and Exoteric perspective. Highly recommended and because it's out of copyright, available online for free from multiple sources.
Avery
Jan 05, 2013 Avery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clear and considered exposition of the meaning underlying the symbolism and ritual of Freemasonry. I found that reading it helped me considerably in understanding much of what occurs in the Lodge. Wilmshurst's discussion of Masonry's relationship to the ancient Mystery schools was very thought-provoking.

I highly recommend this book for any new brother, and I wish I had read it earlier in my Masonic career.

If I have one criticism, it is that Bro. Wilmshurst tends to over-emphasize Chri
Corey
Feb 17, 2014 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freemasonry
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to any brother mason. The first 3 chapters are a must read for any mason in search of the veiled allegory within the symbolism of the craft. This is a perfect starting point if you're interested in doing your own lectures in lodge, especially if you are wanting to delve into the more esoteric without going too far off the deep end.
Ia Deng
Chuck Springer
Mar 06, 2014 Chuck Springer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me to get a better understanding of freemasonry. I really enjoyed this book, the history, the symbolism and description of the allegories. The book also helps one to realize that the Craft is to mean more than ancient rituals, it is a true spiritual journey and rebuilding of man within himself...in which good men are made better!
Rachelle
Jan 14, 2009 Rachelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I thought this book was very interesting. I love seeing the comparisons to Masonry in my own faith. I don't know the right word to use... but the author uses way to many words to put forth a simple idea. It was hard to stay focused. Partly it was just really intense and deep and I wasn't able to get into it. Maybe I will look for another book about Masonry.
Rob
Sep 16, 2014 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freemasonry
Like many classic works of Masonic literature, this book can take a while to wade through. Lack of paragraphs, arcane language, and run-on sentences pose quite the challenge to the reader.

If you stick with it and plow through, this is a very interesting explanation of the whys and hows of Masonry.
Matthew John
Jan 08, 2015 Matthew John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a mason for a little over a year. This book was suggested to me even before I became a MM.

It is a difficult read at times but I believe every mason interested in the esoteric interpretation of the craft should read this book, multiple times!
Alex
Aug 07, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masonic

A great and interesting read. Pretty deep at times. The book is written for Freemasons so some of it would be easier to understand to those more versed in the craft. A fine book, theme, and call for masons to dig deeper.
Roger Wadleigh
While on the one hand it explains that Masonry is about perfecting the individual and creating someone better... It doesn't really go into how that's done. I guess that's some of the mysteries of Masonry.
Brandon
Oct 22, 2009 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
63 page into it and it keeps me thinking about it hours into the night in my sleep
Jason Maness
Jul 13, 2013 Jason Maness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone looking to start on the journey into esoteric Masonry.
Mick Glasgow
Jan 26, 2008 Mick Glasgow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book on what Freemasonry means to the individual.
Lewis Manalo
Oct 16, 2013 Lewis Manalo rated it really liked it
Well, my curiosity is sated.
Ian
Aug 04, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good writing about the esoteric side of Masonic teaching.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Longster23
Longster23 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Andrew Fernandez
Andrew Fernandez marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Glenn Patterson
Glenn Patterson marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Charlton Armojah
Charlton Armojah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Scott
Scott added it
Jan 23, 2016
Vasa68
Vasa68 added it
Jan 21, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Emrah Tuzcuoğlu
Emrah Tuzcuoğlu marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Arzu Zeynalov
Arzu Zeynalov marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • Telepathy and Etheric Vehicle
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • James Baldwin: The Legacy
  • The Life And Words Of Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Here and Hereafter
  • Initiation
  • Complete Illustrated Book Of The Psychic Sciences
  • Home: Social Essays
  • The Music of Black Americans: A History
Walter Leslie Wilmshurst was an English author and Freemason. He published four books on English Freemasonry and submitted articles to The Occult Review magazine. Born in Chichester, Wilmshurst was initiated as a Mason in the Huddersfield lodge in 1889, having moved to the town to become a solicitor, for a time becoming president of the Huddersfield Law Society. He died in Huddersfield.
More about W.L. Wilmshurst...