Start by marking “Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)

Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  474 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Brett Taylor has been doing just fine living in his little world of grief and pain for the past three years—thank you very much. Losing someone special is life changing, and Brett doesn't understand why everyone and their damn dog thinks they can get all up in his business about moving on. He's accepted his job going from musician to rancher without relying on anyone else' ...more
Published August 25th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Unbreak My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbreak My Heart

Chase in Shadow by Amy LaneFinding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie SextonFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsShades of Gray by Brooke McKinley
Best M/M Hurt/Healing/Comfort Books
103rd out of 483 books — 345 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanHot Head by Damon SuedeZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Madeleine UrbanSticks & Stones by Madeleine Urban
m/m books you must read
385th out of 1,247 books — 1,088 voters

More lists with this book...

Gigi
Re-read Feb. 2016 - Comfort re-read!

OK, if I had a shelf titled Over-The-Top-Sticky-Sweet-M/M-Romance-In-The-Best-Possible-Way that is where this book would live. Unbreak My Heart is off-the-charts romantic and had two MCs I absolutely adored. I cried during the first 10 pages of this book, while reading a letter MC Brett had written to his dead lover Walt. I almost decided to stop reading, thinking it would be too emotional, but I kept going and I was rewarded with a beautifully emotional tale
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

I never give more than 4 stars to books in the romance genre, but this one is damn near perfect. Well written, a little angsty, but ultimately redeeming, this one will shatter your heart a little and then piece it together again.

Brett is mourning the death of his partner and soaking his sorrows in guilt and whiskey. He used to be somebody; now, he's a broken-down cowboy living on a ranch that's seen better days with only his gruff foreman and (occasionally) feisty mama for company.

Ent
Macky ~ Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews
Well shucks, I think I died and went to cowboy heaven with this gorgeous love story. Sooo romantic but never sloppy, sweet but not sickly, gentle and tender with a slow burn but never dragging or boring, enough angst to engage your feelings but in a realistic way and emotionally charged, but never in the way that felt dramatised to the point where you felt overly bombarded. Honestly I think this was pretty much the perfect love story!

There are five major players in this. Four in the flesh and
Bev
5 stars and 5 from me, this was so romantic, I loved it. This is the tale of Brett who is really struggling to come to terms with the death of his lover Walt 3 years previously, and is finding solace in the bottle and in writing letters to his dead lover. The letters (and they are so touching and heart-wrenching) help him to express his feelings of grief and guilt, but unfortunately cannot help with the drinking, so it falls upon his foreman Ray's shoulders to mostly deal with the day to day r ...more
Kaje Harper
Oct 21, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, comfort-reread
An older guy who lost his partner is still grieving, when he meets a younger guy who breaks through to his heart - so familiar a plot, and yet so full of potential. Romance is a genre with a lot of well-used tropes and there is nothing wrong with that. The key is all in how they are handled, and for me, this book got it right.

This began as a four-star read. But I was sucked deeper and deeper in, and in the end had to give it five stars for the way I really felt Brett's grief, his indecision and
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Feel free to examine my head because I didn't love this book like the rest of my GR friends.

In all honesty, I really enjoyed the first half. I was willing to go along for a super slow burn romance, and those letters.... OH MY GOD, they damn near killed me. I swear, I sobbed along with each one. But when at 50% the plot seemed to still be going in circles, I checked out a little bit.

I'll also admit that cowboys are one of my least favorite themes in M/M. I honestly don't know why that is becaus
Susan
May 07, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it

Admittedly, this book has some of my favorite storylines: older man/younger man, grieving widower, cowboys, quirky family. So, no brainer…I was already sold on it before I even started.

Brett Taylor…there’s something about Brett, everything about Brett…that I just wanted/needed to love. His pain, his attempts to drown his sorrows, how he copes, how he feels – I wanted him to find his joy, to find love again.

In walks JT…JT hadn’t had it easy either. He worked hard and ran away to get to a
Debra
Jan 31, 2014 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debra by: Will Parkinson
This was a good, slow building, hurt/comfort romance. Brett is still torn by grief for the lover he lost years ago. He has withdrawn to his ranch and is really just going through the motions and self-medicating with booze. Thanks to his meddling mother, the younger JT arrives at the ranch, seemingly lost and a bit broken, but ready to work until he feels the need to move on.

What follows is a slow building friendship and attraction as JT, with the help of the ranch foreman Ray, starts to bring B
Gina
Feb 22, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, cowboys
This gets a big satisfying sigh out of me!  photo brlove_zps506b9d72.gif
This is the story of an man (Brett) still grieving after the death of his partner three years ago. Brett cannot move on, racked with guilt over the circumstances of his partners death and the hole in his heart that just won’t close. Brett is closed up and angry and spends a number of nights drunk and pouring out his emotions in letters to his beloved. Then one night his meddlesome mother brings him a young man (JT) needing work and a place to stay, she
Truus
Feb 25, 2016 Truus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Brett and JT..
Brett is mourning for over three years when his mum brings him a new young strong employee...JT
Captivating story, slow, in the beginning a little physical tension. Very detailed described.
There is a barn with some secrets in it. Which weighs heavily on Brett
The many conversations really make sense.
But it was soooo restrained. I wanted some firework.
At 50 % there were some hot passages
It is a slow story but It's really going somewhere.
The build-up is solid and steady and the dialog
Renée Yes-I-know-I-read-too-damn-much
This was a surprising gem. Brett is a former country star who lost his partner 3 years ago and continues to wallow in grief during his current life on a ranch. JT is a Masters graduate who doesn't really know what he wants to do with life, and who's been drifting from town to town for a while.

Theirs is one of a slow friendship, slow attraction, and slow burn romance.

"I'd like to wait, Ray, but waiting's hard when you don't know if the one you want actually wants you to wait."

This was a really
Tina

I loved this one! Slow building hurt/comfort romances just do it for me. This one is very emotional, focused on healing a broken heart, moving on and finding a home.

Brett, the owner of a ranch somewhere in Texas is still grieving for his lover he lost a few years ago. He is self medicating with booze and writing his dead lover heart-breaking letters about missing him. When his mother Millie finds JT, a young guy, alongside the road and asks her son to take him in and put him to work, things sta
Catherine
This book is a total a gem. It had fantastic characters, genuine emotion and struggle, and dialogue that resonated. It was... quietly lovely and authentic.

Full (gushing) review to come.

Warning: the words "suckle" and "moist" DO appear in the text. ("Flutter" does too, but I give that one a pass since the author was talking about stomach muscles and not... other muscles).
Pickles
Emotional and beautifully written. I shed tears a couple of times. I've seen firsthand that grief over the loss of a lover can last for years, so this was particularly heartbreaking for me. I'm glad that Brett was finally able to move on with the help of JT. Not everyone gets or will allow themselves to even look for that second chance. Definitely recommended.
Silkeeeeee
4.5 COUNTRY STARS

A crusty cowboy, an interfering momma, a crusty ranch foreman and a younger man from California are tossed in a colorful, emotional salad of grief, hope and love with a large dose of humor thrown in. The reason for 4.5 instead of 5 stars? I didn't quite believe TJ's voice. He sounded a bit more country than a California 28 year old would sound and a lot less educated. Otherwise, loved this story.
Bitchie *Bored Now*
Emotional and VERY romantic. A couple minor editing mistakes, but not enough to get on your nerves. Slow burn relationship that played all the emotional beats and never felt rushed.

I really want to hear Brett's music.
Whitney
I was hooked by the premise, but this book just turned out to be okay. It had my biggest romance writing pet peeve in it and it soured the book for me a bit.

I hate the “meddling friends and family members” trope with the power of a thousand suns. I even hate it more than insta-love. At least with insta-love, it can be done well and there are many exceptions to the rule. And if it’s a well-rounded story, insta-love doesn’t really seem that instant or there are other elements to the story that mak
Smith Barney
SO see the dramatic cover photo. That was me reading this book from boredom... I could not stomach the MC's LONG f'ing HAIR or his intoxicated-melancholic twang one page longer..and Millie the meddling mother..ugh. No can do.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
I love it when a book surprises me . . . is much more than I expected. Unbreak My Heart is one of those books. Brett is an ex-country singer turned rancher who continues to drown his pain and broken heart in bottles of Jack Daniels three years after the death of his mate/lover/partner, Walter. Brett is living with a world of regret and guilt over not being there when Walter died. J.T. is a young psychology major who left it all behind a year and a half ago - traveling the country on foot, lookin ...more
Katharina
Mar 06, 2014 Katharina rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, cowboy
3.25

Yes, I liked this story. It was sweet and slow and the author didn't take the easy, quick way out in difficult situations. All that is good.
It was also very emotional, and the epitome of a romance - purely focused on matters of the heart, of healing and moving on and finding a home.

It was written in a casual, fluid prose that made it easy and pleasant to read. Mostly, anyway - a few rough edges could have been edited out, but this was a long-ass book and I didn't find too many of those.

An
SheReadsALot
I think I need to break out some shades before reading this:

I'm going to Angst City!

*sniffles*
Lelyana
Jan 27, 2014 Lelyana rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, emotional-read

I needed all my patience when it came to Brett Taylor, good thing is, JT have it all. ALL the patience in the world loving him.He's mourning almost all the time, stubborn and all bossy, but blushes like a school girl when it comes to JT, a man he love secretly.
I like their slow relationship development, instead of insta love, it feels more real.
Losing someone you dearly love, never been an easy thing, especially when you're being faithful to each other and felt guilty. Happened with Brett. Walt
Chris, the Dalek King
The bed’s too big
And my heart’s too small
My mind’s gone south
Someone just let me fall
Ain’t no sense in denying
How little I’ve become

Brett just wanted Walt. And since he could no longer have him, he’s going to settle for some warm Jack and bittersweet words on an old yellow pad of paper. Three years wasn’t enough time to say goodbye, but everyone around him seemed to think that it was more than enough time to not bleed out every time he remembered just what he wanted. What he had. And what
Claudia
Oct 08, 2013 Claudia rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read, a total emocional roller coaster. Brett was so heartbroken and lovable, and to let JT get involved in his life was a huge step.
JT was a funny guy and his presence helped to lighten up Brett. It was amazing to see their love growing and how Brett changed and opened up to JT.

I totally fell in love by (view spoiler)
Lisa J.
Jan 25, 2015 Lisa J. rated it really liked it
This book was just what I was in the mood for -- a (really) slow build romance, charming MCs, witty dialogue and cowboys. It was also a very emotional.

It's been three years since Brett lost his partner Walt, and he's still in a very dark place, drinking too much and writing him heart-breaking letters about missing him. His mamma Millie (I loved the Southern dialect and sayings) picks up JT on the side of the road and brings him back to the ranch with the promise of a job.

Brett and JT dance arou
Candice
Dec 30, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it
I just have 2 words: THE LETTERS!

Okay, with all of that, I bawled my eyes out during the letters. What Brett felt and still feels for Walt is palpable. It was beautiful and if I were in Brett's shoes I am not sure I would have been able to move on. Much like Brett, who found himself at the bottom of a bottle for 3 years. With his mother, Millie, and his best friend and foreman, Ray to pick up the pieces of his life.

JT Campbell was 'kidnapped' off the side of the highway by Millie and decided to
blub
When I started this book I was enjoying it until I got a little more than a 100 pages in. Then it kind of started grating on my nerves. I found Millie(?), Brett's mother extremely annoying after a while and Ray was getting there too. I was feeling a bit mad on Brett's behalf when everyone was shoving him to move on. Everyone grieves differently and yeah, sure it's been three years for Brett but in time, I think he would have pursued JT on his own. I ended up skipping portions of the book after t ...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
Parts of this book were so lovely they had me sniffling back a few tears. I enjoyed the slow build between JT and Brett, and was overwhelmed with how much I enjoyed all the characters in this book. K-lee Klein is an author I want more from.
Nic
Jul 23, 2014 Nic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, cowboy, amber-allure

This is quite an emotional story as one of the MCs is dealing with grief, compounded by a tremendous sense of guilt. It takes the love of a younger man to bring him back to life.

The secondary characters were wonderful - everyone needs a mum like Millie and a friend like Ray.

The highlight was the heart-wrenching letters written by Brett to his lost love.
Yuki
Jan 24, 2014 Yuki rated it liked it
Here's another average book - I liked it, but I will surely forget it.
Just a quick, funny read.
  • Chase the Storm
  • Love, Like Water
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
  • The Fall (The Fall #1)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song (Heartwarming)
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • Wishing for a Home (Home, #3)
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • The Return
  • My Only Sunshine
  • The Terms of Release (The Release #1)
  • A Wild Ride (The Bullriders, #1)
  • Cowboy Waltz
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • Bullheaded
  • Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • Sole Support
  • Junk  (The Bristol Collection #1)
K-lee Klein has lived in one part of Western Canada or another for her entire life. She’s a doting mother of three now-grown kids, and has had characters and plots running around her head for as long as she can remember. In an attempt to avoid major writer's block, she keeps the image of muse on her leg so he can't run off too far, unfortunately it doesn't work all the time.

K-lee's days consist o
More about K-lee Klein...

Unbreak My Heart (5 books)
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • Unwrapped Hearts (Unbreak My Heart #3)
  • Unwanted Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #4)
  • Unbridled Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #5)