Start by marking “Anything That Loves” as Want to Read:
Anything That Loves

Anything That Loves

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From confessional, personal accounts to erotic flights of fancy to undersea identity politics, this collection of comics invites the reader to step outside of the categories and explore the wild and wonderful uncharted territory between “gay” and “straight”.
Published July 2013 by Northwest Press

To ask other readers questions about Anything That Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything That Loves

Kerri
This comics anthology, created by a selection of bisexual/pansexual writers/artists, contains everything from biographical sketches to an allegorical mermaid story. While a few of the comics remind me of those well-meaning, yet dreadfully awful, "13 Myths About Bisexuality" articles that pop up everywhere, I think others really get at the diversity and complexity of the non-monosexual experience. I actually think the most appropriate target audience for this is straight and gay/lesbian folks who ...more
Ronna
"The true aim of the queer liberation movement, as I understand it, has always been to affirm the right to determine one's own ideal romantic and sexual life. The utopian world where everyone is free to follow their hearts (and libidos!) benefits everyone, not just lesbian and gay people." (Charles "Zan" Christensen, editor)

Anything That Loves is a collection of comics on the spectrum between gay and straight, including personal stories, fiction, dialogues to past selves, and 101 introductions i
Robert
A fine comics anthology with the ultimate message that human sexuality is far more fluid than popularly acknowledged, and the binary categorizations and sub-categorizations we assign to it are limiting, often downright damaging. Some highlights include a thoughtful forward from Editor Zan Christensen, and stories from Bill Roundy, Kate Lethe, Leanne Franson, MariNaomi, and Nick Leonard.
Margreet Heer
Sep 06, 2013 Margreet Heer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: comics
It's probably not very politically correct to give 5 stars to a collection that contains some of my own work - but heck, this book is not about being politically correct and besides, it's just really that good. I love it for its various styles, its autobiographical confessions, and its call for openness and acceptance. I imagine this book can be a real eye-opener for a lot of people.
Adriane
This was a really great book, not entire SFW but was idea and perception challenging in the best way.

The issue at the moment about being bisexual is all of the media shouting "that's not possible" when it clearly scientifically is. There are studies where they conected the brains of participants up to biofeedback machines and measure the "arousal" quadrants when shows both straight and gay stimulants. In the bisexual people the quadrants lit up equally regardless of stimulant.

So here are the b
Matt Cresswell
Anything That Loves is the latest offering from the really-rather-sterling Northwest Press, purveyors of fine LGBT-related comics. I came across them on kickstarter, pledged, and immediately forgot I had done any such thing, which made it’s arrival on my doorstep (accompanied by the bonus book The Lavender Menace) a bit of a surprise.

The theme of the book is ‘bisexuality’–it’s a vast collection of comics address bisexuality and the various iterations of the issues surrounding it. Like people’s d
Amy
Although a little basic in terms of gender analysis and queer theory, this collection was thoroughly enjoyable and addressed some of the major quandraries of being bisexual or queer. I'll admit, it was nice to see some of my own struggles with sexual identity put into ink. Can you still be bi if you're in a hetero relationship? Does being bi mean you can't be monogamous? What about gender non-conforming partners? Although this book provides no answers (because we all know there's no real right o ...more
Emilia P
I feel a little bit cruel for saying this but seriously, dudes, I have read many better GLBT anthologies, including better bi ones, better sexually diverse ones (like uhmmm the Gender Outlaws redux), and better comics (Juicy Mother!). I felt like I should respect this for its scope and its celebration of a legacy of bi cartoonists, but it's really didactic, and even some of my faves (Erika Moen, Sam of Rooster Tails) don't save it. Alas.
Kate
It's hard to respond to an anthology as a whole, especially when one like this has such a range of writing and drawing quality. Yet there's enough good stuff in here to merit a read. And in terms of mainstream views, there's a lot of revolutionary content in here. I like the way it challenges sexuality and gender binaries.
Jocilyn
Exceptional anthology of real-life inspired or autobiographical non-binary and/or bisexual comics. The collective experiences of these artists is invaluable in recognizing the lack of acceptance and understanding bi folks have garnered from the LGBT community. Many of the stories, though very believable, were utterly sad and will make you want to give the author a hug. Disclaimer: If you have lived as bisexual/trans/asexual/queer or eschew such labels, some of these stories WILL hit close to ho ...more
Jan
Sep 11, 2014 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bisexuals and monosexuals who want to understand them
Gets an extra star for bisexual content! I had the impression that most of these comics were for explaining to monosexual people what bisexuality was about, or for helping people with very little contact with other bisexuals to understand themselves. Very few of them offered an actual gripping storyline with a bi character in it. (Of course, that's probably hard to do in the space available in an anthology.) None made me want to rush out this second and buy work by a particular artist.

Some of t
Martin Conover
Very solid and uplifting work, with the exception of the Sam Saturday bit which felt outdated and offensive. The Powflip story was both interesting and well presented making it my personal favorite. I would back this project again in a heartbeat.
Joseph Young
Although I am straight, I found a common thread in the stories, one of battling societal expectations versus personal identity. Many of the stories are about realizing society is stupid and obsessed with categorizing things, and breaking through that to the truth. However, many of the stories are quite heartbreaking stories of rejection as well. I just hope that all the authors discover their truths and don't change negatively just because they're 'expected' to be a certain way by a judgmental b ...more
Maggie Gordon
Anything That Loves is an anthology about an issue very personal to me: bisexuality. As a person on the bisexual spectrum I don't often get to see depictions of my sexual identity in literature and media. Anything That Loves is one attempt to rectify this absence. The book is a collection of different stories about what it means to be bisexual. Ranging from personal stories to more informative lectures, there are plenty of perspectives on the experiences and beliefs of bisexual people, and I fou ...more
Aaron
I'm not big on comics anthologies, but this one hit the sweet spot: diverse and energetic storytelling, unique variation of author perspective, and polished artwork. Historically and with deference to the many talented, queer artists currently working in comics, Anything that Loves catches as much of the visible rainbow as is humanly possible.
Ben
Liked it OK. Didn't read all the stories. Juicy Mother, from the nineties, felt more feminist.
Heidi Schutt
Compilation of comics by many authors and illustrators.
Mick
I loved this collection, really. I'm the only bi person I know; my friends identify as either gay, lesbian, or straight. While they are mostly supportive and try to understand, I've been at the receiving end of a fair share of bi-phobia over the years. It was really refreshing to read stories written by folks who've had similar experiences; it felt like a hug in comics.

I give it four stars because it did get a little repetitive at times, but by (ha! word play!) and large, it was wonderful.
Karin
Anything That Loves is a collection of comics focused on the theme that love (and gender) are not binary. This resonates a lot with me. I am in one of the murky grey areas where I don't feel comfortable claiming any label. I am afraid that I won't be accepted as "genuine" anything except straight. This book did a good job of reminding me that it is ok to be me, no matter what that means in terms of gender and sexuality.
Paula Valenca
I really wanted to like this book but I must admit it felt very mixed: some strips are good and made me smile, others offer little challenge, variety or depth.
4 stars mostly for the initiative.
Lani
A compilation with such a narrow theme runs the risk of getting repetitive. Different art styles helps save this one, but it's nothing exceptional. The notable thing about this collection is the issue it's addressing... being bisexual and how to fit into the spectrum of sexuality that society accepts. Many of the creators experience the same struggles, but there is some variety in attitude and approach.
Aubri
I enjoyed parts of it but found it to be cissexist and somewhat depressing.
Hassanchop
Some great Ellen Foley, Erica Moen, and Maurice Vellekoop.
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Leah Horlick
Leah Horlick marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Holly Smith
Holly Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Cheyenne
Cheyenne marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World
  • How Loathsome
  • Man Alive: A True Story of Violence, Forgiveness and Becoming a Man
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • A + E 4ever
  • Blood, Marriage, Wine, & Glitter
  • Twice the Pleasure: Bisexual Women's Erotica
  • Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing
Charles "Zan" Christensen is the publisher of Northwest Press.
More about Charles "Zan" Christensen...
The Mark Of Aeacus #1 The Power Within The Mark Of Aeacus #2 The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!