Start by marking “Anything That Loves” as Want to Read:
Anything That Loves

Anything That Loves

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
From confessional, personal accounts to erotic flights of fancy to undersea identity politics, this collection of comics invites the reader to step outside of the categories and explore the wild and wonderful uncharted territory between “gay” and “straight”.
Published July 2013 by Northwest Press

To ask other readers questions about Anything That Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything That Loves

Kerri
Nov 12, 2015 Kerri rated it really liked it
Shelves: bisexual, comics, queer
This comics anthology, created by a selection of bisexual/pansexual writers/artists, contains everything from biographical sketches to an allegorical mermaid story. While a few of the comics remind me of those well-meaning, yet dreadfully awful, "13 Myths About Bisexuality" articles that pop up everywhere, I think others really get at the diversity and complexity of the non-monosexual experience. I actually think the most appropriate target audience for this is straight and gay/lesbian folks who ...more
Ronna
Aug 12, 2013 Ronna rated it it was amazing
"The true aim of the queer liberation movement, as I understand it, has always been to affirm the right to determine one's own ideal romantic and sexual life. The utopian world where everyone is free to follow their hearts (and libidos!) benefits everyone, not just lesbian and gay people." (Charles "Zan" Christensen, editor)

Anything That Loves is a collection of comics on the spectrum between gay and straight, including personal stories, fiction, dialogues to past selves, and 101 introductions i
Emilia P
Apr 22, 2014 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I feel a little bit cruel for saying this but seriously, dudes, I have read many better GLBT anthologies, including better bi ones, better sexually diverse ones (like uhmmm the Gender Outlaws redux), and better comics (Juicy Mother!). I felt like I should respect this for its scope and its celebration of a legacy of bi cartoonists, but it's really didactic, and even some of my faves (Erika Moen, Sam of Rooster Tails) don't save it. Alas.
Robert
A fine comics anthology with the ultimate message that human sexuality is far more fluid than popularly acknowledged, and the binary categorizations and sub-categorizations we assign to it are limiting, often downright damaging. Some highlights include a thoughtful forward from Editor Zan Christensen, and stories from Bill Roundy, Kate Lethe, Leanne Franson, MariNaomi, and Nick Leonard.
Margreet Heer
Sep 06, 2013 Margreet Heer rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: comics
It's probably not very politically correct to give 5 stars to a collection that contains some of my own work - but heck, this book is not about being politically correct and besides, it's just really that good. I love it for its various styles, its autobiographical confessions, and its call for openness and acceptance. I imagine this book can be a real eye-opener for a lot of people.
Adriane
This was a really great book, not entire SFW but was idea and perception challenging in the best way.

The issue at the moment about being bisexual is all of the media shouting "that's not possible" when it clearly scientifically is. There are studies where they conected the brains of participants up to biofeedback machines and measure the "arousal" quadrants when shows both straight and gay stimulants. In the bisexual people the quadrants lit up equally regardless of stimulant.

So here are the b
Matt Cresswell
Jan 20, 2014 Matt Cresswell rated it liked it
Anything That Loves is the latest offering from the really-rather-sterling Northwest Press, purveyors of fine LGBT-related comics. I came across them on kickstarter, pledged, and immediately forgot I had done any such thing, which made it’s arrival on my doorstep (accompanied by the bonus book The Lavender Menace) a bit of a surprise.

The theme of the book is ‘bisexuality’–it’s a vast collection of comics address bisexuality and the various iterations of the issues surrounding it. Like people’s d
Kate
As with any anthology, some of the stories fell a bit flat but others were really great. I think it's important to look at sexualities that fall between gay and straight because the first two letters of the acronym are always L or G.
Amy
Dec 05, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Although a little basic in terms of gender analysis and queer theory, this collection was thoroughly enjoyable and addressed some of the major quandraries of being bisexual or queer. I'll admit, it was nice to see some of my own struggles with sexual identity put into ink. Can you still be bi if you're in a hetero relationship? Does being bi mean you can't be monogamous? What about gender non-conforming partners? Although this book provides no answers (because we all know there's no real right o ...more
Ian Wood
Sep 06, 2015 Ian Wood rated it did not like it

Kate
Jan 18, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's hard to respond to an anthology as a whole, especially when one like this has such a range of writing and drawing quality. Yet there's enough good stuff in here to merit a read. And in terms of mainstream views, there's a lot of revolutionary content in here. I like the way it challenges sexuality and gender binaries.
Jocilyn
Sep 29, 2014 Jocilyn rated it it was amazing
Exceptional anthology of real-life inspired or autobiographical non-binary and/or bisexual comics. The collective experiences of these artists is invaluable in recognizing the lack of acceptance and understanding bi folks have garnered from the LGBT community. Many of the stories, though very believable, were utterly sad and will make you want to give the author a hug. Disclaimer: If you have lived as bisexual/trans/asexual/queer or eschew such labels, some of these stories WILL hit close to ho ...more
Aubri
Oct 21, 2013 Aubri rated it it was ok
I enjoyed parts of it but found it to be cissexist and somewhat depressing.
SA
Dec 21, 2015 SA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
I've been meaning to read this since it came out in '13, and boy was it dumb to wait this long. A great anthology focusing on bisexuality and to an extent non-binary sexuality, Anything That Loves covers so many autobiographical situations that I myself have experienced. It also covers a decent history/background of the disdain of bisexuality as a concept/term from both hetero and homosexual communities.

Shit though, it makes me tired to realize that these dumb conversations challenging a person
Jan
Sep 11, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bisexuals and monosexuals who want to understand them
Gets an extra star for bisexual content! I had the impression that most of these comics were for explaining to monosexual people what bisexuality was about, or for helping people with very little contact with other bisexuals to understand themselves. Very few of them offered an actual gripping storyline with a bi character in it. (Of course, that's probably hard to do in the space available in an anthology.) None made me want to rush out this second and buy work by a particular artist.

Some of t
Doublezerodomino
An assorted collection of old, new, experienced and novice artists writing about bisexuality and other stories and sexuality and gender. Artists I want to read more of in this collection: Powflip, Kevin Boze, Eria Moen, Ellen Forney, Bill Roundy.

Some great art and fantastic stories!
Milena
Dec 17, 2015 Milena rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, comics-etc
Very good anthology about identity and sexuality, and what it means to identify as bisexual. Different artists contributed to this book, each telling their own stories and sharing their experiences. I recommend this highly to anyone who is interested in LGBT, identity, and sexuality - and comics, of course.
Laney
Aug 08, 2014 Laney rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very solid and uplifting work, with the exception of the Sam Saturday bit which felt outdated and offensive. The Powflip story was both interesting and well presented making it my personal favorite. I would back this project again in a heartbeat.
Joseph Young
Feb 16, 2015 Joseph Young rated it liked it
Although I am straight, I found a common thread in the stories, one of battling societal expectations versus personal identity. Many of the stories are about realizing society is stupid and obsessed with categorizing things, and breaking through that to the truth. However, many of the stories are quite heartbreaking stories of rejection as well. I just hope that all the authors discover their truths and don't change negatively just because they're 'expected' to be a certain way by a judgmental b ...more
Maggie Gordon
Jul 16, 2014 Maggie Gordon rated it it was amazing
Anything That Loves is an anthology about an issue very personal to me: bisexuality. As a person on the bisexual spectrum I don't often get to see depictions of my sexual identity in literature and media. Anything That Loves is one attempt to rectify this absence. The book is a collection of different stories about what it means to be bisexual. Ranging from personal stories to more informative lectures, there are plenty of perspectives on the experiences and beliefs of bisexual people, and I fou ...more
Kara
Nov 02, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: readin2015
This was wonderful. I saw my experience in several of the comics, and enjoyed seeing so many others in the remainder. I do agree with other reviewers that this would be a good collection to give to people who AREN'T bisexual, or who might be questioning whether they are.
Aaron
I'm not big on comics anthologies, but this one hit the sweet spot: diverse and energetic storytelling, unique variation of author perspective, and polished artwork. Historically and with deference to the many talented, queer artists currently working in comics, Anything that Loves catches as much of the visible rainbow as is humanly possible.
Ben
Nov 08, 2014 Ben rated it liked it
Liked it OK. Didn't read all the stories. Juicy Mother, from the nineties, felt more feminist.
Holland Carney
Aug 24, 2015 Holland Carney rated it liked it
More entertaining than informative. I think I'm fatigued on the topic of gender identity.
Heidi Schutt
Sep 30, 2014 Heidi Schutt rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Compilation of comics by many authors and illustrators.
Mick
Oct 22, 2013 Mick rated it really liked it
I loved this collection, really. I'm the only bi person I know; my friends identify as either gay, lesbian, or straight. While they are mostly supportive and try to understand, I've been at the receiving end of a fair share of bi-phobia over the years. It was really refreshing to read stories written by folks who've had similar experiences; it felt like a hug in comics.

I give it four stars because it did get a little repetitive at times, but by (ha! word play!) and large, it was wonderful.
Karin
Aug 19, 2013 Karin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Anything That Loves is a collection of comics focused on the theme that love (and gender) are not binary. This resonates a lot with me. I am in one of the murky grey areas where I don't feel comfortable claiming any label. I am afraid that I won't be accepted as "genuine" anything except straight. This book did a good job of reminding me that it is ok to be me, no matter what that means in terms of gender and sexuality.
Paula Valenca
Oct 01, 2014 Paula Valenca rated it really liked it
I really wanted to like this book but I must admit it felt very mixed: some strips are good and made me smile, others offer little challenge, variety or depth.
4 stars mostly for the initiative.
Lani
Sep 30, 2013 Lani rated it really liked it
A compilation with such a narrow theme runs the risk of getting repetitive. Different art styles helps save this one, but it's nothing exceptional. The notable thing about this collection is the issue it's addressing... being bisexual and how to fit into the spectrum of sexuality that society accepts. Many of the creators experience the same struggles, but there is some variety in attitude and approach.
Hassanchop
Sep 17, 2013 Hassanchop rated it it was ok
Some great Ellen Foley, Erica Moen, and Maurice Vellekoop.
  • QU33R
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • Transposes
  • 100 Crushes
  • Bi: Notes for a Bisexual Revolution
  • Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volume 1: Poor Boys and Pilgrims
  • Flutter, Vol. 1: Hell Can Wait (Flutter, #1)
  • Long Red Hair
  • Bread and Wine
  • Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag
  • Seasonal Velocities
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One
  • Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
Charles "Zan" Christensen is the publisher of Northwest Press.
More about Charles "Zan" Christensen...