Start by marking “Towards Land, Work & Power: Charting a Path of Resistance to U.S.-Led Imperialism” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
After years of building a fighting organization of welfare recipients, domestic workers, shoe shiners, child care workers, security guards, unemployed workers and other no- and low-wage workers, the organizers and leaders of People Organized to Win Employment Rights (POWER) realized that we couldn't answer some basic questions: What is the nature of the world's political e ...more
Published January 30th 2006 by Unite to Fight Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Land, Work & Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Land, Work & Power

Jack Stephens
Aug 25, 2011 Jack Stephens rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic read written by the community organizers of POWER (People Organizing to Win Employment Rights). It covers San Francisco's context within global capitalism and the expansion of US imperialism and how San Francisco is an "outpost" of US imperialism and globalized capital. Within this context the authors describe how these national and international conditions have interacted with the local politics and economy of the Bay Area elite and how its effected poor and working cla ...more
Marty
Apr 06, 2009 Marty rated it liked it
Shelves: history
The first two sections of this book are a good summary of social tensions and working class struggle in the Bay Area. These sections are really a wonderful introduction to this history.

The later half of the book is not worth the paper its printed on. It advocates movement towards some vague, very maoist and ill-concieved worker's party.

So anyway read the first two or maybe three sections of the book especially if you're unfamiliar to the history of San Francisco Bay-Area and its struggles.
chelsea
Apr 02, 2008 chelsea rated it liked it
The best part was the (brief) section about the history of city planning/ gentrification in SF. I guess I just expected it to be more about that stuff and less about a vague analysis of the global economic system, which I read plenty of in school and am slightly annoyed by. Maybe it's just me.
Ali
Jan 12, 2008 Ali rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: veteran organizers from the bay, folks familiar with STORM's poltical efforts,
It's been a while since I read the book. Although I'm not a fan of it, I still recommend it to Bay Area folks with radical politics just simply because it's a good conversation starter. The book gave me insight on some aspects of SF's political landscape. I should read it again however.
Louisa
Dec 23, 2009 Louisa rated it really liked it
This is a great document of the macro and micro work of Organizing. It has a real motiviating narrative to view the world as it is, so you can work towards the world as we would like it to be through grassroots community organizing!
Mariana
Feb 01, 2009 Mariana rated it really liked it
This book is important because it shows the analysis of imperialism in one particular city, i.e. San Francisco. It may not be enough to be against prisons. I will think about being anti-imperialist.
Nat Smith
Jan 08, 2008 Nat Smith rated it it was ok
let's throw around the word worker and not actually define what a worker is.
let's spit up maoist doctrine, and then say we're not the vanguard but then say we are the only ones who are right.
Amy
May 20, 2007 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks in sf
Shelves: favorites
The title almost says it all, except that also, this book is written by the organization POWER in San Francisco, so they really know what they're talkin about.
cory
Oct 02, 2007 cory rated it it was amazing
The most readable explanation of the dynamics of imperialism that I've ever read -- incredibly applicable to our experience in this "global city."
Bran
Nov 01, 2007 Bran rated it it was amazing
I learned so much about Imperialism and the U.S. Highly reccommend.
M
May 01, 2012 M rated it really liked it
Its smart. Accurate. Sophisticated. Accessible.
Owen
Mar 02, 2008 Owen rated it it was amazing
useful to give as a gift
cadelba
Aug 24, 2009 cadelba rated it it was amazing
Read. this. book.
Michaelann
Michaelann rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Damaris
Damaris marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Peyton Proffitt
Peyton Proffitt marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Maleia
Maleia marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Lauren Anzaldo
Lauren Anzaldo rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Ian Trupin
Ian Trupin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Ivy
Ivy is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Baltz.greg
Baltz.greg marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Eileen Gingko
Eileen Gingko marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
NO added it
May 02, 2016
Karlyn
Karlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Morgandonor
Morgandonor marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Judy's Homegrown
Judy's Homegrown marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Lawrence
Lawrence is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014