Towards Land, Work & Power: Charting a Path of Resistance to U.S.-Led Imperialism

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  13 reviews
After years of building a fighting organization of welfare recipients, domestic workers, shoe shiners, child care workers, security guards, unemployed workers and other no- and low-wage workers, the organizers and leaders of People Organized to Win Employment Rights (POWER) realized that we couldn't answer some basic questions: What is the nature of the world's political e...more
Published January 30th 2006 by Unite to Fight Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Towards Land, Work & Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Towards Land, Work & Power

Jack Stephens
This book is a fantastic read written by the community organizers of POWER (People Organizing to Win Employment Rights). It covers San Francisco's context within global capitalism and the expansion of US imperialism and how San Francisco is an "outpost" of US imperialism and globalized capital. Within this context the authors describe how these national and international conditions have interacted with the local politics and economy of the Bay Area elite and how its effected poor and working cla...more
Marty
The first two sections of this book are a good summary of social tensions and working class struggle in the Bay Area. These sections are really a wonderful introduction to this history.

The later half of the book is not worth the paper its printed on. It advocates movement towards some vague, very maoist and ill-concieved worker's party.

So anyway read the first two or maybe three sections of the book especially if you're unfamiliar to the history of San Francisco Bay-Area and its struggles.
chelsea
The best part was the (brief) section about the history of city planning/ gentrification in SF. I guess I just expected it to be more about that stuff and less about a vague analysis of the global economic system, which I read plenty of in school and am slightly annoyed by. Maybe it's just me.
Ali
Jan 12, 2008 Ali rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: veteran organizers from the bay, folks familiar with STORM's poltical efforts,
It's been a while since I read the book. Although I'm not a fan of it, I still recommend it to Bay Area folks with radical politics just simply because it's a good conversation starter. The book gave me insight on some aspects of SF's political landscape. I should read it again however.
Louisa
This is a great document of the macro and micro work of Organizing. It has a real motiviating narrative to view the world as it is, so you can work towards the world as we would like it to be through grassroots community organizing!
Mariana
This book is important because it shows the analysis of imperialism in one particular city, i.e. San Francisco. It may not be enough to be against prisons. I will think about being anti-imperialist.
Nat Smith
let's throw around the word worker and not actually define what a worker is.
let's spit up maoist doctrine, and then say we're not the vanguard but then say we are the only ones who are right.
Amy
May 20, 2007 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks in sf
Shelves: favorites
The title almost says it all, except that also, this book is written by the organization POWER in San Francisco, so they really know what they're talkin about.
cory
The most readable explanation of the dynamics of imperialism that I've ever read -- incredibly applicable to our experience in this "global city."
Bran
I learned so much about Imperialism and the U.S. Highly reccommend.
M
Its smart. Accurate. Sophisticated. Accessible.
Owen
useful to give as a gift
cadelba
Read. this. book.
Lawrence
Lawrence is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Ntanya
Ntanya added it
Jul 21, 2013
Elliot Karl
Elliot Karl marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Bumpleberry
Bumpleberry marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
Zeo
Zeo marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Sara Gold
Sara Gold marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hacia La Tierra, El Trabajo, y El Poder: Trazando Camino Para La Resistencia Contra El Imperialismo Eeuu Towards Land, Work & Power: Charting a Path of Resistance to U.S. -Led Imperialism