Start by marking “One Drop of Blood: A C.I.L. Novel” as Want to Read:
One Drop of Blood: A C.I.L. Novel

One Drop of Blood: A C.I.L. Novel (Kel McKelvey #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An Arkansas soldier who died a hero's death in Vietnam is now linked to a forty-year-old unsolved racial killing in the Arkansas delta.
Published August 7th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Drop of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Drop of Blood

Jen
I thought this book was absolutely outstanding. I listened to it on audiobook, read by Patrick Lawlor. He was phenomenal. I believe he is my favorite audiobook reader to date. He truly made the book come alive.

Thomas Holland's crime fiction novel involves an anthropologist from the Central Identification Labratory in Hawaii (CILHI) and a black-sheep FBI agent from New York City. The two characters find themselves in small-town east Arkansas trying to solve their respective cases.

The regional co
Robert
This is the first in a series of two novels and it is a fantastic start to the series. The inside of the dust cover describes this as the pitch-perfect thriller. Well I tend to disagree on that. While I feel that this is a fantastic mystery I do not really see it fitting in the thriller category. The storytelling capabilities of this author are first rate and he can keep the reader going right up to the very end. Something about this really felt like an old comfortable blanket to me. Something y ...more
John Thomas
Really enjoyed the twists and turns and the era along with the main character
LJ
ONE DROP OF BLOOD (Lic. Invest-Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland-Cont) – DNF
Holland, Thomas – 1st book
Berkeley, 2007, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780425216934
First Sentence: He could smell them.
*** Kel McKelvey, Director of the U.S. Army Central Identification Laboratory, has been sent to Arkansas in an attempt to unravel the mystery of a forty-year old racial killing and a soldier who was supposed to have died in Vietnam.
*** It started out well but became so overloaded with scientific details, I decided
Michelle
I liked the story and the main character, Kel. I did not like the FBI agent. If
the author was trying to make sure we didn't like him, she did a good job.
Evelyn
Dr. "Kel" McKelvey of the Army's Central Identification Laboratory is assigned to help the FBI identify two suspected civil rights protesters killed in Arkansas in the '60s.

Dr. Thomas Holland is the real-life director of the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii. An exciting debut novel, full of forensic details as well as Vietnam remembrances.
Karoni
This book, written by someone I've known for umpteen years, was fabulous - even if I am a bit biased about the writer. ;-) It weaves in the MIA accounting issue with a murder investigation in Arkansas. The two main characters are hilarious - laughing out loud isn't something one normally gets when reading a murder mystery. I highly recommend it.
Martin
very enjoyable view into how the CIL works - against the backdrop of a colorful - if not completely baffling - murder mystery. Some of the characters are a little weakly drawn, and the ending is a bit abrupt - as if mr. holland ran out of paper - but all in all a good first shot.
Dennis Tomashewsky
Jan 24, 2008 Dennis Tomashewsky rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime / Mystery buffs.
Recommended to Dennis by: Library
For Crime / Mystery buffs.

Links Vietnam era with recent crime.

Not too technical DNA and scientific references.

Characters somewhat believeable.

I hadn't read this author before and probably will not do any follow-up reading.

Carolyn
Has some definite first-novel issues -- expository lumps, abrupt POV changes within paragraphs -- but good story line and characters, nice Southern flavor (speaking as a Southerner) and interesting plot. Look forward to the next one.
Lacy Katherine
My second cousin wrote this one. Go Tom! Names of my family are tucked all around. I think there's even a Lacy in there, although that's more a nod to my dad and grandfather than to me.
Lacy
Melisa
There wasn't a single likable character in this book. The plot wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy spending time with these people.
Kathy
Good mystery. It gets a bit technical but if you push through, a very good story. I look forward to book #2.
Stephanie
Interesting and funny. A mystery murder with a lovable main character.
Kellysutterfield
Written by a friend of ours, I really enjoyed this as a first novel.
Charlotte
Great read - recommend it to all mystery lovers.
Pat
Predictable and simplistic. Just didn't like it.
Pamela
Pamela is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Romina
Romina marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Holly Day bear
Holly Day bear marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Thomas Holland is presently the Scientific Director of the Department of Defense's Central Identification Laboratory, the largest skeletal identification laboratory in the world. In this position he has led forensic recoveries around the world, from the barren deserts of Iraq to the steamy jungles of Vietnam to the snow-covered mountains of North Korea. In 1993, while conducting a recovery near th ...more
More about Thomas Holland...

Kel McKelvey (2 books)
  • KIA (Kel McKelvey, #2)
KIA (Kel McKelvey, #2) KIA: A Dr. Kel McKelvey Novel The Living Faith Bible Commentary: General Epistles Science in the Changing World The Mineral Sanction as an Aid to International Security