Start by marking “When Gods Fail” as Want to Read:
When Gods Fail

When Gods Fail (When Gods Fail #1)

Exploring a cave, Tom finds himself trapped when a series of earthquakes seal the cave entrance. Weeks later, he pulls himself out.

He can't believe his eyes: there's nothing but ashes for miles.

A forest fire?

He sets out to find help, or maybe a phone to call his wife, but there's still nothing but ashes.

When he finds people, he learns a terrible truth: the world as he know
Kindle Edition, 3rd edition, 170 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Eiso Publishing

To ask other readers questions about When Gods Fail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Gods Fail

Jason Mckinsey
Feb 23, 2015 Jason Mckinsey rated it liked it
I admit, I waffled between a ** and *** rating. I think the story is a great idea. It's interesting to consider what happens during the transition of the apocalypse, what happens when we shift from a modern society to a post-apoc society?

The reason I waffled between ratings was I feel our hero shifted into gear a bit too quickly. Within a day or two there were deep-rooted changes to his persona that should have taken weeks. And he didn't mourn at all- not for the people he knew, not for his soci
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
All said I think this novella had promise and for the most part I enjoyed it. However, I wish the character hadn't broken down so quickly as it made him rather unlikable by novellas end. In the beginning it seemed like he was just a normal guy who'd survived the horrors above by chance due to being spelunking. I think he was more relatable that way. Maybe though he was always a mysoginistic prick and societal norms kept those feelings in check. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he was on ...more
Olethros
Jan 10, 2015 Olethros rated it liked it
-Otra visión (más, que no nueva) del postapocalipsis.-

Género. Novela corta.

Lo que nos cuenta. El terremoto que tuvo lugar mientras Tom estaba explorando unas cuevas al sur de Portland le dejó encerrado durante varias semanas. Cuando consigue salir el exterior está arrasado, por lo que el terremoto puede que fuese algo más, y cuando entra en contacto con otros seres humanos descubre que la guerra y la radiación han terminado con el mundo que conocía. Primer volumen de la serie When gods fail.

¿Qui
Gabe Erwin
Jan 15, 2014 Gabe Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quick read for sure but I liked it well enough. I still have a lot of questions that I would like answered but I assume the second book will handle those???

Definitely worth the time invested into reading it and I would like to read the second book to see where this all goes.

The main character was likeable but I am having hard time swallowing the wimp to superhero transformation but putting that aside I enjoyed his internal struggles.

Would have liked to seen the young girl live a little
Aragorn
May 06, 2014 Aragorn rated it liked it
Shelves: reddit-freebies
2.5 stars.

The prose is mostly written well enough, but the plot doesn't hold together very well and the characterisation, while frequently engaging, is rather inconsistent. The non-ending of this single book chopped in thirds didn't help it either as it leaves the reader with neither a sense of fulfillment nor a sense of wonderment--nor, for that matter, much of a desire to move on.
Echo
Jan 30, 2014 Echo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This reads like a violent misogynists wet-dream. It started off like an under-dog comes out on top story, but devolves into revenge and mindless killing paired with a little bit of female objectification and rape-justification.
Rich Meyer
May 18, 2014 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Excellent and realistic post-apocalyptic tale, without a single zombie. Well-written and has good characterization, putting it a parsec ahead of the usual story in this overdone genre. It shows how men rapidly lost the trappings of civilization, and their humanity, once every thing breaks down.
Gordon Sleigh
Apr 01, 2016 Gordon Sleigh rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
What an astoundingly unlikeable protagonist. I couldn't deal with it anymore even if it's only a novella.
Wolfgang Ruetz
Oct 09, 2013 Wolfgang Ruetz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that failed here big time was the author
Nelson Lowhim
Aug 15, 2013 Nelson Lowhim added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Tammy G.Beard
Tammy G.Beard rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2013
James
James rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2014
Kiro
Kiro rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Alternative Book Press
Alternative Book Press rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2014
Steve Cova
Steve Cova rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Babette
Babette rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Marjan
Marjan rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2014
Roland P Hagge
Roland P Hagge rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2014
Ryan Bergeron
Ryan Bergeron rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Rkb 2014
Rkb 2014 rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2014
Randy Akers
Randy Akers rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Jeremy Menefee
Jeremy Menefee rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
caroline dixon
caroline dixon rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Areland
Areland rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Making Connections: When Gods Fail 1 5 Jan 28, 2014 02:05PM
Author's Notes [spoliers] 1 5 Aug 13, 2013 03:40PM
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • RIZEN: Tales of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Eden Project: Humanity's Last Chance
  • The Most Uncommon Cold I: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Zombie Rehab (Impact, #2)
  • Dead Hunger II: The Gem Cardoza Chronicle
  • I've Been Deader
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • Degeneration (Degeneration #1)
  • Day 8: New Human War: The Complete Series
  • Flesh Code: Vol. I
  • Blood of Darkness: Genesis
  • Even Zombie Killers Get The Blues ( Zombie Killer Blues, #1)
  • Dead Beat
  • The Complex (The Reanimates, #1)
  • The Peeling Trilogy
  • Ripper (The Riser Saga, #3)
  • Zombie Apocalypse
Lowhim served in the US Army as a Green Beret and graduated from Columbia University. He's been published in LA review of LA, Nine Line Anthology, and Afterwords.
He enjoys writing books that cause cogitation about life.
Born in the bubbling cauldron of Tanzania, he picked up his first pen at the age of two and chewed. He's progressed much since then. He wrote his first story at 5, a knockoff of all
More about Nelson Lowhim...

When Gods Fail (3 books)
  • When Gods Fail II (#2)
  • When Gods Fail III (#3)