Start by marking “Poor Yorick” as Want to Read:
Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick

This is a Kickstarter-exclusive chooseable-path mini adventure that takes place BEFORE Hamlet, leading into the action of To Be Or Not To Be. We're 25 years in the past and alas, poor Yorick: you're broke! While you may be a man of infinite jest and most excellent fancy, THAT DON'T PAY THE BILLS. Your one hope is an opening at the royal court for a jester. Seems easy ...more
staple-bound, 33 pages
Published July 16th 2013 by Breadpig

To ask other readers questions about Poor Yorick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Yorick

Charles
Jan 07, 2014 Charles rated it liked it
Stuff I Read - Poor Yorick by Ryan North Review

So part of me doesn't know quite how to rate and review this book, because it is really just a bonus to the To Be or Not To Be CYOA that Ryan North kickstarted the hell out of. This is the prequel, and as such it fits in nicely and sets the stage for things to come. It is very short, though, and that makes rating it rather...difficult, I guess. Because this is quite fun and light and moves right along. It can be read in its entirety in one sitting.
Domashita Romero
Aug 17, 2013 Domashita Romero rated it it was amazing
The short and sweet prequel to Ryan North's bigger Hamlet chooseable-path adventure. A nice and giggly half-hour or so's worth of leading Yorick to his different deaths. My personal favorite was the one with all the farting. This book is particularly enjoyable in e-book format (on the Kindle Fire, specifically), since it has clickable links to take you on your path, and you can use back buttons.
Kadri
Aug 24, 2013 Kadri rated it really liked it
"I'll say this: of all the legacies it is possible to have, Yorick, this is certainly one of them."
Sunil
Jan 09, 2014 Sunil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2014
This prequel to To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure functions as both a nice choose-your-path hit for those who have exhausted the larger work and a teaser/introduction for those who have yet to experience it. You play as Yorick, a fellow of infinite jest, whose fate is to die. You need to die, in fact, although North will side-eye you for embracing your fate with too much gusto. Like To Be or Not to Be, it's great fun, and North takes Yorick's brief "appearance" in Hamlet and extr ...more
Rach
Mar 29, 2014 Rach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
This prequel to Ryan North's (and Shakespeare's!) To Be or Not to Be, aka the Choose Your Own Adventure version of Hamlet, is short and sweet, and a great introduction to how the genre works. It's clever and witty, and in every version (except MAYBE one) Yorick dies. Because he has to, you know? Otherwise who's skull will Hamlet dig up and talk to when he needed to figure some stuff out? Awesome illustrations, too.

Sadly, unless you were a backer in the To Be or Not to Be Kickstarter, you will li
Matthew Brady
Aug 13, 2013 Matthew Brady rated it liked it
A fun prequel to Ryan North's "choosable-path" version of Hamlet, following the eponymous jester as he attempts to secure employ in the service of the Hamlet family, with most of the choices leading to a quick death, each of which prompt a reaction from Hamlet himself 25 years later when he discovers Yorick's corpse. Very amusing stuff, the perfect thing to get you in the mood for the massive tome that takes what must be at least a few hundred different paths in and around Shakespeare's ...more
Andrewcharles420
Aug 21, 2013 Andrewcharles420 rated it liked it
Clever and amusing CYOA story about how Yorick comes to know 'the Hammer' (Hamlet)--and quite a bit easier to get through than Ryan North's other Shakespearean CYOA book To Be or Not To Be A Chooseable-Path Adventure (not because it's hard to read, just that it's huuuuge). Love the artwork!
Alex
Aug 12, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
A cute little mini-choose-your-own-adventure bundled with To be Or Not To Be... That is the Adventure.

I liked it. I especially liked the fixation with Yorick dying and his skull being discovered years later. I've read maybe 5 or 6 paths through this book, and in NOT ONE has Yorick survived one day. That's pretty morbidly awesome.

..for the record, I haven't yet chosen the path in To Be or Not To Be where I actually get Hamlet and Horatio to Yorick's grave. There are too dang many paths in that bo
Marcelo Sanchez
Apr 21, 2014 Marcelo Sanchez rated it really liked it
Este libro es un chiste. Y uno muy bueno.
Mientras que el estilo de humor de Ryan North se puede volver tedioso en historias largas. Con 54 páginas, este libro te deja con gusto a poco. Pero en ningún momento se vuelve aburrido.
Con opciones asesinas en cada turno, salir vivo del libro te va a tomar algunos intentos. Y recorrerlo entero toma media hora (ponle o quitale minutos).
El libro es un gusto, uno breve, pero un gusto al fin y al cabo.
Jared Anderson
May 18, 2016 Jared Anderson rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong; this is a pretty entertaining read. I am just picky about what types of books get four and five stars. This little prequel to the Hamlet choose your own adventure book was a great mix of Shakespeare and modern-day jargon. There were a couple times when I audibly laughed. What a great way to introduce the world of Shakespeare to reticent readers. Caution: there are a couple off-color phrases and terms, but nothing outright offensive.
Michael Ben Silva III
"Poor Yorick" is a charming prologue to the truly excellent work To Be or Not To Be. I liked it, certainly, but my enjoyment was probably lessened by my choice to read it before I'd allow myself to open the full book. It is a perfectly well made chicken dinner, eaten too quickly as the chef has already prepared and set before me a chicken and waffle and ice cream "dessert."
Martin
Aug 19, 2013 Martin rated it it was amazing
This was super hysterical. The choice paths on this one are pretty much leading you down one main storyline, with many short but dead-end branches leading off of it. But that didn't detract from the fun really, and after probably twenty or thirty minutes I'd read all of it. Very enjoyable minutes, I might add. Fun stuff.
Román Gorojovsky
Aug 18, 2013 Román Gorojovsky rated it really liked it
De este leí ponele, la mitad de los finales. Es un buen compañero a To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure
Nov 29, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
I realize that this is just a little bonus book for To Be or Not to Be, but I thought it was pretty cheesy and mindless.

On the bright side, you can take all the paths in under an hour, so it's not like you lose a lot of time reading it.
Lindsay Wilson
Sep 02, 2013 Lindsay Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Delightful. This little companion to "To Be or Not to Be" just takes a few minutes to read, but each timeline was funny in its own way, with the fantastic Ryan North voice. Can't wait to undertake TBNTB!
Emily Davies
Feb 04, 2014 Emily Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was short but sweet. I have the eBook edition as I contributed to the To Be Or Not To Be Kickstarter.
Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
review to come, possibly.

read more possible reviews at auroralector.blogspot.com until that possible time.
Asach Quinn
Asach Quinn rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Peter Shirts
Peter Shirts rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Jeff Hitchcock
Jeff Hitchcock rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Rob Howell
Aug 12, 2013 Rob Howell rated it it was amazing
Funny as hells!
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Mary K
Mary K rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Patrick Book
Patrick Book rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Matt Nicholls
Matt Nicholls rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Matthew Hutchins
Matthew Hutchins rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ryan M. North is a Canadian writer and computer programmer who is the creator and author of Dinosaur Comics, and co-creator of Whispered Apologies and Happy Dog the Happy Dog.

North grew up in Ottawa, Ontario where he studied computer science (minor in film) at Carleton University before moving to Toronto for his Master's degree in Computer Science at the University of Toronto, specializing in comp
More about Ryan North...