Start by marking “One Man's View of the World” as Want to Read:
One Man's View of the World

One Man's View of the World

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In this book, Lee draws on that wealth of experience and depth of insight to offer his views on today’s world and what it might look like in 20 years. This is no dry geopolitical treatise. Nor is it a thematic account of the twists and turns in global affairs. Instead, in this broad-sweep narrative that takes in America, China, Asia and Europe, he parses their society, pro...more
Published August 15th 2013 by Straits Times Press Books

To ask other readers questions about One Man's View of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's View of the World

Refine Lubis
LKY sees things from all perspective, his holistic approach on looking at what is happening around him. And I think that passion, curiosity and drive to understand things around him WhAT made Singapore today. Looking at his pictures collection inside the book is really astonishing, how many leaders and from different era he had met. I would thank him for giving his time to WRiTE this book for us. Thank you Sir! Salut and may God Bless you!
Nehal
An insightful, if opinionated book. Fascinatingly told narrative of LKY's perspective of the world. His understanding of China, US, ASEAN nations is impressively insightful. But, there are too many sweeping generalizations - many that beg jato wonder whether his intellectual arrogance is getting better of his judgement.

Fortunately, his judgement is clearly Singapore focussed and no one understands the reality of this country better than him - not it's current Government, not it's neighbors and n...more
PMP
This book made me LLOL (literally laugh out loud). Oh, to be 90 and to speak your unadulterated mind. Needs better copy-editing though.
Albert Hui
Suleiman
One Man's View of the World by Respected Leader of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew presents a sharp and convincing analysis, highlighting the consequences of the inevitable rebalancing of global power between the US and China. Europe being in the decline and poorer as well as Asia's opining up (Myanmar & Vietnam), and the obstacles of the Asian Tigers. Arab Spring that refuses to bring the Summer that was expected and many more…

I was disappointed by Lee's inability to talk about Africa and South Ame...more
Lim Kwang
Good book that serves as an appetizer for the reader who is interested in getting an overview of Singapore's past and present. LKY also comments briefly on the issues that matter around the globe with specific focus on the major powers and the region. Absolute must read for the Singaporean who has forgotten his history.
jiongwei lua

Lee writes with amazing clarity which reveals his thoughtful insights into world politics, shifting power relations and other pertinent current societal issues. As a Singaporean, I especially enjoyed the bits on Singapore's alignment in the world in the light of the rise of China and India. Widely acknowledged as a respected statesman in the world, Lee certainly lives up to his reputation in this incisive, brutally-honest, personal yet digestible sharing. Of course, one should certainly not expe...more
Rajiv Nair
This is the first time I read LKY and I think its fair to say that he writes like he speaks. A very shrewd, no-bullshit and heavily opinionated take(one man's nevertheless) on how the last 50 years played out for this little planet. The key difference being, unlike your average TV news talking head, LKY really has a stellar "been-there-done-that" track record to back up his observations.
Rishikeesh Wijaya
Although it does provide new perspectives into global matters and occurrences, I find that it fizzles out from the middle to the end. 'Hard Truths' was definitely a better read.
Alan Deng
Old but as smart as any young smart minds on the planet yet much more experienced. Stubbon though but adamant.
Supriya
A wonderful book. Straight from the heart - and he's such a likeable, admirable man! Eminently readable account by one of the greatest statesmen and visionaries of our time. May he live long and continue to impart of his wisdom.
Eugene
Good historic view on development of global major countries and culture.

in his last few years of his 90 years long life, he is seen to be trying hard to crystallize all his perspectives and experiences.

From power shifts,nation leaders, economic trends, cultural traits, geographic limitations, he is able make sense of all these variables to predict what will happen to countries, and how these affects regimes.

Good to read what he thinks and view of the world.given that he has spoken to so many pe...more
Audrey
I will not pretend that my review and rating is unbiased, because it is. For starters, I am clueless about politics. And of course, I adore LKY!

A man's view of the world - it is a very apt title and clearly spells out what you are in for. Perceptive and analytical (in his brutually honest way), he managed to cover the current issues in a holistic and palatable manner. Whether you agree or disagree with him, this is the world, through his eyes. At 89, one cannot help feeling amazed at how sharp a...more
Peter
A remarkable leader.
Maggie
It was written in clear simple English which made it very easy to understand. Surprisingly, it wasn't a boring book, but some of his views were nothing new. This book is highly recommended for anyone who wishes to understands more about the world in a very simple concise summarized manner. His insights are good to have, but I find myself more interested in his critical and rational thinking skills, how straightforward his train of thoughts are, and his "PR" skills. A truly inspiring leader to le...more
Hang Mor
As splendid as ever with the quality of thinking of this venerable statesman, Sir Harry Lee provides a great analysis of the balance of power between the fast rising China and the United States of America in the far east in his latest book as well as some new insights on what behold for Myammar and Vietnam. I am however let down by the fact that the Philippines is not included as part of his discussion of ASEAN, when it is in fact the economic star performer this year.
Xuewei
this man is very opinionated...but intelligently i think. A downright pragmatist he is. Some ppl say it's arrogance but what i see is instinct. An instinct that is backed by a series of proven track records.

But again, no matter how good his instinct is, there is a chance however slim of him being wrong, which is sth one should never forget.
Mingyi Hong
Gives you a quick look at the world today. Only LKY can provide such candid and too-straight-forward comments on different countries and regions as a seasoned statesman and a founding father who turned a third world finishing village to a first class city state.
Having said that it's still just one man's view. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Tze Siang
Insightful analysis of each region's history and culture leading to what the countries became today. Also, his opinion on the fate/challenges of different regions and what the future holds. Various policies, societal issues, economics and climate challenges are mentioned in the book as well. Blunt and straight to the point.
Winnie
Sathappan Sathappan
excellent read. with a bit of history and smart predictions for future geopolitics. I sincerely hope India can prove his predictions wrong in the next 50 years, given his very sombre predictions for India.
Huy
Great analysis from a first rate stateman
Sampatkar
Ummm I would like to disagree in a few points but given I wasn't a prime minister I have to agree!!! Leaves you wanting more honesty.
Wanrong
Just one man's view, but what a man! I particularly liked the last chapter, which excerpts his interview with Helmut Schmidt.
Brian Zheng
Highly recommended. His view about the geopolitics in the next few decades in Asia Pacific region is superb.
Andy
Clear and concise. The way LKY writes and expresses his views are always sharp and insightful.
Bambang Susilo
Bambang Susilo marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
abii
abii marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
DOES GOD EXIST? 3 8 Nov 30, 2013 07:02PM
  • Lee Kuan Yew: Hard Truths To Keep Singapore Going
  • Taj Mahal: Passion and Genius at the Heart of the Moghul Empire
  • سيف الله خالد بن الوليد
  • The Lost Executioner: A Journey to the Heart of the Killing Fields
  • Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, 1958-1962
  • Gandhi and Churchill: The Epic Rivalry that Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age
  • Red: My Autobiography
  • Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China
  • Trump: Think Like a Billionaire: Everything You Need to Know about Success, Real Estate, and Life
  • Screw Business As Usual
  • China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation
  • Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and StickYou with the Bill)
  • Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era
  • Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Life Management for Busy Women: Living Out God's Plan with Passion & Purpose
  • Silence on the Mountain: Stories of Terror, Betrayal, and Forgetting in Guatemala
  • The Antelope's Strategy: Living in Rwanda After the Genocide
From Third World to First: The Singapore Story: 1965-2000 The Singapore Story: Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew Lee Kuan Yew: The Grand Master's Insights on China, the United States, and the World My Lifelong Challenge: Singapore's Bilingual Journey The Wit & Wisdom of Lee Kuan Yew