Start by marking “Whisper Goodbye (Till We Meet Again, #2)” as Want to Read:
Whisper Goodbye (Till We Meet Again, #2)

Whisper Goodbye (Till We Meet Again #2)

Crippled both physically and emotionally by his war injuries, First Lt. Gilbert Ballard struggles to find himself again in civilian life. After breaking his engagement to Annemarie Kendall, he has found solace in the arms of Mary McClarney, a spunky Irish immigrant nurse he met at the Army and Navy Hospital in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Yet Mary’s love for Gilbert goes ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Abingdon Press (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Whisper Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whisper Goodbye

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
3 1/2 Stars

After returning home from the war ,Gilbert Ballard is still trying to adjust to his life as well as what he perceives he has become: a crippled man. His relationship with Annemarie is over, and he has made peace with the fact.
But he finds himself longing for Irish immigrant nurse Mary McCarney. But Mary is part of the working class and Gilbert's mother would never approve of someone so outside of their social circle. Mary herself doesn't believe she's worthy of Gilbert's affections, b
Angie Arndt
Aug 10, 2016 Angie Arndt rated it it was amazing
Times were harder – and simpler – after the Great War. But returning soldiers were haunted by nightmares and memories that left them as wounded emotionally as the worst of their physical injuries. This is the era that Myra Johnson tackles in her ‘Til We Meet Again series.

The latest in the series, Whisper Goodbye, follows two familiar characters from her first installment, When the Clouds Roll By, the despicable Gilbert Ballard and his faithful, but somewhat naïve nurse, Mary McClarney. Separated
Carla Stewart
Apr 21, 2014 Carla Stewart rated it it was amazing
Having read the first book in this series – When Clouds Roll By ¬– I was very curious about how Myra Johnson would redeem Gilbert Ballard, the WWI amputee who succumbed to drug addiction, alcohol, and self-destructive behavior. I shouldn’t have been concerned as through lots of twists and turns, Myra skillfully weaves a story of patience, hope, and redemption. The setting of Hot Springs Arkansas circa the beginning of Prohibition gave the historical realism that I look for in period pieces. ...more
Julie Cirka
Oct 13, 2016 Julie Cirka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!

I read the first book in the series, so I really liked that in this story, we meet new people, but still have the familiar character's lives continued in this story too. I found it very easy to get "involved" in their lives and in their story. I liked the series as it brought a continuity to the story, kind of like how life is.
Sandra
May 12, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
First Lt. Gilbert Ballard returned to Hot Springs, Arkansas, from The Great War to find his life a shambles. He lost a leg and partial use of an arm, formed an addiction to pain killers and alcohol, and drove his fiancée into another man's arms. While he struggles to put his life in order, Mary McClarney, a nurse at the Army and Navy Hospital in Hot Springs yearns for him to see her as his one true love.

Whisper Goodbye is the second book in Myra Johnson's series Till We Meet Again. While each b
Dora Hiers
May 13, 2014 Dora Hiers rated it it was amazing
Sharing my review~
After being introduced to both Gilbert and Mary in When the Clouds Roll By, the first book in Myra Johnson's Till We Meet Again series, I couldn't wait to get my greedy hands on the second book, Whisper Goodbye. Wounded war veteran First Lt. Gilbert Ballard was a character I couldn't forget after finishing When the Clouds Roll By. He'd treated his former fiancee and best friend dreadfully, but it was so hard to be upset with him. He was a casualty of war, broken and bitter, flo
Lynda Edwards
Sep 03, 2014 Lynda Edwards rated it liked it
The wounds of war are not just physical. In many instances, the deeper wounds are mental and emotional, and such is the case with Gilbert Ballard. His addictions and self-destructive behavior have made him an angry man and he struggles to live again, free from the mess he has made of his life. His girlfriend, Mary McClarney, struggles with her own wounds from the past, and to make matters worse, she feels hidden in the shadow of his old flame. An army nurse, we learn a little bit about the ...more
Iola
Gilbert Ballard lost his beau, Annemarie Kendall, because of his attitude when he returned home from the trenches of World War I France, and now he seems to be driving away another woman he loves, nurse Mary McClarney. For her part, Mary loves Gilbert but can’t trust him to not retreat into his vices—drugs, alcohol and gambling—in times of stress.

Whisper Goodbye is the sequel to When the Clouds Go By, the story of Annemarie and Army chaplain Samuel Vickeray. While the two can each be read as sta
Jayna
May 26, 2014 Jayna rated it liked it
I received a copy via the Goodreads First Reads program.

This is the second in a series, and I did not read the first book. It was fine as a stand alone, but I do feel that I must have missed a lot of the beginning relationship between Mary and Gilbert. As the novel opens, they are already having relationship problems, and the author alludes to quite a few important moments that were not in this book.

I requested this copy due to the time period it was set in. I am not typically a huge fan of Chr
Marian Baay
Jan 23, 2015 Marian Baay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, read-in-2015
After reading “When the Clouds Roll By”, the first book in this series, I have become to truly enjoy Myra Johnson’s writing style—she has an amazing way with words and knows how to beautifully describe emotions, thoughts and feelings. “Whisper Goodbye” is another story full of drama and emotion that swept me away into the world of Gilbert and Mary—two young people who are meant for each other but it seems impossible to get together as both are dealing with wounds from the past. A elegantly ...more
Ann
May 18, 2014 Ann rated it liked it
Returning from WWII, crippled and addicted to pain killers and alcohol, Gilbert ends his engagement to AnneMarie and starts depending on his nurse, Mary. He hits rock bottom and finally turns to God to help him. He and Mary go through some hard times and he finally does beat his addiction. This book is definitely a Christian romance but the religion doesn't overwhelm the story of love and redemption. Didn't read the first book but will pick it up soon. A nice story and hope there will be more.
Maria
Jul 27, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful love story that captured my attention from the beginning to the end. It describes the emotions of war, and the toll it takes with addictions to ease the pain of emotional scars. Sometimes we take for granted that which we already have that heals us in the first place. This is a must read and I highly recommend it to all.
Jun 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
With dealing with a husband who is recovering from addiction, this book touched me. I feel like I have treated him like Mary treated Gilbert. Sweet love story. Being as I have started with book two in this series I feel like I missed a few things though. I really need to go back and get book one. Thanks so much for this Goodreads giveaway.
Hannah
Jun 12, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Whisper Goodbye by Myra Johnson was a very good read. I didn't get to read the first book before I read this one and I think, as with all series,that would have been best. But I still really love this book and now I can't wait to read the others in the series.
Michele
Jan 23, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story line, and was rooting for the couple throughout the book! I had no idea until after reading that there is more in this series, but will definitely be checking them out now.
Mary Post
Jun 10, 2014 Mary Post rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I lived in Hot Springs Arkansas for years. Could picture all the places mentioned here.
Koketso Moseneke
Koketso Moseneke rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Breanne
Breanne rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2016
Lj
Lj rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Tina Crabtree
Tina Crabtree rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Danica
Danica rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Lisa Allen
Lisa Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Mackenzie
Jul 28, 2014 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: related-books
Book 2 of 3
*Great! Love Myra Johnson!
Racheal Janz
Racheal Janz rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Noelle
Noelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Mara Morgan
Mara Morgan rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Sally Jhon
i think reading this book might be so intersting
Zegi Dias
Zegi Dias rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Jennifer Fromke
Jennifer Fromke rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
  • Circle of Spies (The Culper Ring, #3)
  • Mistaken: First Impressions Are Never What They Seem
  • Shadowed in Silk (Twilight of the British Raj, #1)
  • A Path Toward Love
  • The Soul of the Rose
  • Sadie's Secret (The Secret Lives of Will Tucker, #3)
  • For Love or Country (The MacGregor Legacy, #2)
  • While Love Stirs (The Gregory Sisters, #2)
  • London Dawn (The Danforths of Lancashire #3)
  • Gunpowder Tea (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #3)
  • The Hatmaker's Heart
  • Tempest's Course
  • An Honest Heart (The Great Exhibition #2)
  • Shadowed by Grace (Story of Monuments Men #1)
  • Love Comes Calling
  • A Shadow of Treason (Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War #2)
  • The Beaches and Brides Romance Collection: 5 Historical Romances Buoyed by the Sea
  • Two Crosses (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #1)
Myra Johnson’s roots go deep into Texas soil, but she now enjoys the milder climate of the Carolinas. Empty-nesters, Myra and her husband share their home with two loveable (and very spoiled) rescue dogs who love getting into mischief. Her debut novel, One Imperfect Christmas, was a September 2009 release from Abingdon Press. She also writes for Love Inspired and Franciscan Media.

Awards of note:
More about Myra Johnson...

Till We Meet Again (3 books)
  • When the Clouds Roll By (Till We Meet Again #1)
  • Every Tear a Memory (Till We Meet Again, #3)