Everybody's Got Something

Everybody's Got Something

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  135 reviews
"Regardless of how much money you have, your race, where you live, what religion you follow, you are going through something. Or you already have or you will. As momma always said, "Everybody's got something."

So begins beloved Good Morning America anchor Robin Roberts's new memoir in which she recounts the incredible journey that's been her life so far, and the lessons sh...more
Published April 22nd 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

Marilyn
Robin Roberts did exactly what her mama told her to do, "Make your mess your message." And, what a message she had to tell. Robin is a strong, positive, faith-filled woman. She sets a fine example for anyone going through difficult times.
Carol
Robin Roberts and I have very little in common; she's tall, I'm short, she's black, I'm white, she's athletic, I'm not...but I have watched her on GMA for years. Little did I know that following her breast cancer diagnosis and treatment in 2007 would prepare me for my own BC diagnosis in 2008. The tone of her book was as if you sat down with Robin and she told you her story. An easy read, but well worthwhile.
Lori
I would give this a 4.5. Robin Roberts gives an honest heartfelt account of her dealing with a life threatening illness. A few years after battling breast cancer Robin is diagnosed with a rare blood disorder. She finds that she needs a bone marrow transplant. She needs to find a match that could save her life or she would face only two more years of life. Thank goodness her sister Sally -Ann is a perfect match.
Sadly just before Robin starts therapy her beloved mother dies at 88 years old. Robi...more
Jean Poulos
Along with many people in the country I became aware of Robin Roberts diagnosis of MDS and pending bone marrow transplant while watching Diane Sawyer on ABC Nightly News. This book is astonishingly honest and refreshingly upbeat as Roberts tells the shock of discovering once again she had to fight for her life. Roberts, a hall of fame college basketball player and host on ABC’s Good Morning America T.V. show tells the story of her recent bone marrow transplant. This new diagnosis was apparently...more
Carol
I interrupted my reading of Insurgent to read this book. It was a quick interesting read
as was her previous book. I found myself writing down the name of a book that she had
recommended and taking notes on some of her mother's favorite quotes such as "make your mess
your message". I recommend this book to anyone who has enjoyed Robin's reporting on Good Morning
America, readers interested in books with a strong component of faith in action and especially
to cancer patients.
Helen Wilson
it was an excellent book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Robin Roberts memoir and how her life was and how her health issues came about and how her family and friends were there for her though everything and always had her back no matter what, I recommend this book to anyone
Sydney Young
(Via Audio) Robin's mother anyways told her that regardless of who or what you are in life, regardless of what you do or don't do, you'll go through hardship, "Everybody's got something." She also told her to "Make your mess your message." So Robin proceeds to do just that in this book as she shares her hardship of going through a bone marrow transplant at the same time her elderly mother faces failing health.

I've always just loved Robin Roberts. She is a breath of fresh air, a ray of sunshine,...more
Jo Dunn
Of course I know who Robin Roberts is; however, I've never seen a single airing of Good Morning America (I haven't watched television for almost twenty years). Regardless of whether, or not, I am a GMA fan, I'd read about her book and - given some VERY minor, by comparison, health and wellness challenges I've recently experienced, I was very much looking forward to reading her story.

In 2012, Robin Roberts was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), a blood disorder she had contracted fro...more
Rachel
This is a quick read. A very quick read.
My friend sent it me, after my latest health nonsense and I'm glad she did. I needed the messages Roberts has to say.

As a today show girl, I don't know Roberts-- feel an attachment to her. So maybe the way she writes is her authentic self. Perhaps, she is this normal, down to earth and so forth. Maybe she really is the type of person who truly understands that if her chosen docs weren't includes in her insurance plan, she would have significant costs to en...more
Lauren Ukkerd
Robin Roberts outdid herself on this book. This was such an inspirational and inspiring story of the trials and tribulations that Robin has gone through over the last few years. The one constant that I took away from the book was the gratitude and appreciation she has/had for her family and especially her parents. Through it all her family, friends and colleagues fought her battle right beside her which gave her the strength, determination and motivation to keep going even on her darkest days. O...more
When I first started reading this book I was immediately regretting my decision. It seemed like it was going to be chapters upon chapters of name dropping and free publicity for Robin's favorite restaraunts... and maybe it was but you come to find out that it has nothing to do with her ego and everything to do with her grattitude for every single person that helped her along her journey. She invites you to listen to her story and her struggles and allows you to see into her soul. Robin Roberts i...more
Carolyn
This book is an inspirational piece and certainly introduces the world to this all American woman with great courage and an esteemed family legacy no one can deny. Robin Roberts has written other books, however, for those just meeting her for the first time; you've been exposed to the best of humanity and humility. What a gift....what a prayer. I recommend it highly.
Cindy F.
I was not sure I was going to enjoy reading this book. I am sure glad I did. Having a personal health issue, I was able to associate a lot of my struggle to hers.
What I learned from this book, is to never to be afraid to reach out and ask for help from family and friends. It is not a sign of weakness, but instead, a sign of inner strength.

I truly recommend anyone to read this book. if you read this book in paperback, be sure to have a highlighter to mark passages and to make personal notes.
I really loved this book. The story of Robin Roberts' second battle with cancer was beyond my comprehension. I loved her stories if family and friends and how they helped her through it. Her willingness to give credit to those around her is truly a credit to her! If you think you are dealing with something that you cannot possible handle, give this book a try.
Lois Plantefaber
I love Robin Roberts! And I expected to love this book. While I thoroughly enjoyed her story and amazing strength to live her journey, the book was poorly written which lessened my enjoyment and did not have the emotional "punch" that I wanted/expected.
Idania M
May 07, 2014 Idania M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Idania by: saw it on Goodmorning America
I am a huge fan of Robin Roberts. I enjoy reading this book. I always watch her on Good Morning America. I saw the two different times when she announced that she had breast cancer 2007 and years later when she announced she had MDS and that she needed a bone Marrow transplant.In this book she chronicle her journey to fight for her life.I was glad when she return to the show. I recommend this book. I like when Robin mom always told her that Everybody's Got Something that is so true.....
Julie Smith
This book isn't a great literary work, but feels more like you are sitting down to a cup of tea with Robin, while she tells her story. It is beautiful, inspiring, touching, spiritual and more. Everybody does have something and her battle with MDS can resonate with anyone facing a health crisis them self or going through it with a friend or loved one. A very moving story.
Kathie
I am a fan of Robin Roberts and was devastated to hear that she was sick again. This book is a chronicle of her journey, a journey she took with grace and strength when she fighting for her life! You will cry when you read this and laugh and if you weren't team Robin before, you will be at the end. What she says is true, everybody's got something!
howsweeteats
I adore her. Always have, probably always will. So classy, so positive, so inspirational.
Latiffany
If you know anything about me you know that I love Robin Roberts. I have never met her, but consider her to be family. I first became acquainted with Robin in my college years. I watched Good Morning America occasionally. I like Diane Sawyer, was partial to Charlie Gibson, but Robin stood out and commanded my full attention. I watched the episode where Robin thanked Diane for her support when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember her telling Diane that what she appreciated was that Di...more
Roxanne
A very quick and easy read. I appreciated all of the great photos!

The fact that Robin is out in front of the world almost every morning on GMA does not mean that sharing her illness and recovery was an easy thing to do. I am happy that she followed her mother's advice and did make her mess the message for all of us to read about and learn from.

I admire her willingness to share her recovery with the readers and not breeze over the areas that caused the most pain or for some, might be embarrassing...more
Denis Vukosav
‘Everybody's Got Something’ written by Robin Roberts are memoirs of known presenter and reporter who in recent years unfortunately because of sad reasons was not present in the media, due to her severe illness from which, however, she managed to recover.

Afterwards Roberts not only returned back to normal life, but she learned a lesson from what she went through realizing that there is no reason to hide anything from your life because beauty of life is something most valuable and there is no reas...more
Julie
I read this book in 24 hours (which I never do). I just wanted to keep reading. She didn't spend a lot of time in medical lingo. It was more about her spirit to get better & her appreciation for everyone around her. I thought that Robin & Veronica did a nice job collaborating on this book.
Marykay Pogar
I wish she'd gotten a better co-author, maybe one who didn't feel the need to use every cliche possible.
Cheryl
Love her! What an amazing strong woman. Lots of life lessons in this book. Get a box of Kleenex ready.
Gina
Everyone should be so lucky to have the support and love of a wonderful family and great friends as Robin Roberts has in her life. Her story in this memoir is an inspiration to us all. She is a genuinely good person and classy lady. She has endured her illnesses with her head held high. Her memoir was a life lesson for me.
Nancy Augustine
I am so thankful I decided to read her book. The chapter about her mothers' passing was so comforting to me as, I too am going through the same with my mother. Thank you Robin.
Marcia
I'm in the Today Show camp, but I may just be giving Good Morning America a look after listening to this audiobook. I knew just the vaguest details of Robin Roberts' journey. I knew she played college ball and had fought breast cancer. This is the story of the disease, MDS, that came as a result of the breast cancer treatment. It required a bone marrow transplant. She is the epitome of positive thinking. Her faith, love of family, strong support system and general sunny outlook pulled her throug...more
A
I found this book to encompass all feelings of having one's life on the line. It left me with encouragement, energy and especially knowing that it's okay to accept help. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Beverly
I recently joined a new book club - one where most of the members read the books and we actually discuss them. It was a very fun evening and I enjoyed meeting new people. The read for June was Robin Roberts' Everybody's Got Something. This is a quick easy read. Despite facing a life threatening disease that was most likely brought on by the treatment for breast cancer, Robin's story is very positive. She does admit that there were times when the weight of her ordeal did cause her to feel angry o...more
  • Let's Just Say It Wasn't Pretty
  • In My Skin: My Life On and Off the Basketball Court
  • A Fighting Chance
  • New Life, No Instructions
  • Living and Dying in Brick City
  • We Will Survive: True Stories of Encouragement, Inspiration, and the Power of Song
  • My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir
  • Put on Your Crown: Life-Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom
  • A Sliver of Light: Three Americans Imprisoned in Iran
  • Stronger
  • Lost and Found: Finding Hope in the Detours of Life
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)
  • Gandhi Before India
  • The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams
  • Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
  • Shirley Jones: A Memoir
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
  • The Closer: My Story
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.

Robin René Roberts (born November 23, 1960) is an American television broadcaster. Roberts is the anchor of ABC's morning show Good Morning America. After growing up in Mississippi and attending Southeastern Louisiana University, Roberts was a sports anchor for local TV and radio stations. Roberts was a sportscaster on ESPN for 15 years (1990...more
More about Robin Roberts...
From the Heart: Seven Rules to Live By The Whiz Kids And the 1950 Pennant My Life in Baseball Sports for Life Basketball, the Right Way

“Thank God I could say that I had truly enjoyed the journey, because if I had saved all of my joy for the destination, I would have missed it. We are all so focused on getting “there,” but you have to be careful. Sometimes, I sense a lot of times, “there” ends up feeling different than you expected.” 5 likes
“Being optimistic is like a muscle that gets stronger with use. Makes it easier when the tough times arrive. You have to change the way you think in order to change the way you feel.” 4 likes