Start by marking “Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures” as Want to Read:
Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This second edition of this best-selling guide to taking photographs while on the road has been thoroughly updated and revised to include a special new section on digital photography. Also includes new information on black and white photography techniques.
Published October 1st 2004 by Lonely Planet (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Travel Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travel Photography

Ninja Neko
I ordered this together with another photography guidebook ( The Photographer's Eye ) right before my trip next week. I was looking for tips to improve my photography without having to deal with too many technical details (I only have a point & shoot camera anyway), but more from a composition & interest point of view. I'm not aiming to become a professional, just to take more interesting, nicer pictures. And Travel Photography was, for me, the best one. The most accessible. I've read th ...more
Nicki Markus
This was a book I ordered with some 'points' I had to spend and I think it was a good choice.

This is a book that should suit most photographers, from beginners to intermediate level. The first half of the book is dedicated to the basics: what equipment you need, what that equipment does, and technical explanations of things such as aperture and shutter speed. This is good for the novice, but even had something to teach me at intermediate level. The author also offers tips for keeping your camer
William
This is a decent book on travel photography, and indeed on photography in general. It's full of great advice on how to go about shooting fantastic images around the world, all within a small book that's perfect for sticking in your camera bag whilst on your travels.

The only downside is that for someone like myself, who only deals with digital photography, too much time is spent discussing film photography, which sometimes gives the impression that the book isn't quite as up to date as it could b
Eldan Goldenberg
Useful manual. Fairly concise, but with enough information to still be helpful to people like me, who know the basic technical stuff pretty well but have plenty to learn about composition and material. Not much of it is actually specific to "travel", but then why would taking a picture of some other city be magically different from taking one of where I live?
Sallie
I thought this book was great for an amateur photographer like me. It coached me on how to prepare for the journey, what to bring for the journey, and how to think out of the box and take photos from different perpectives and angles.
Liz De Coster
Primarily advice for DSLR camera owners, but gives a lot of good advice about when to get the best light, how to pre-plan for travel photography, and photography techniques for travel situations (festivals, shop windows, etc.)
Al
Needs an updated edition. The photography basics on composition, exposure, etc. are timeless, but the extensive number of pages dedicated to film photography and transporting/developing said film is definitely dated.
David
2009 3rd edition. (important as cameras evolve quickly). Pretty basic book (for 368 pages) but most non professional photographers would pick up a few ideas from it that they have not come across before.
Polina
great book and although written with non digital cameras in mind, it still gives lots of relevant tips that cover all areas of travel photography. A great basics book for those just starting out.
Tami
Jun 05, 2013 Tami added it
It was ok. It was published in 2000, and so much has changed in camera technology. There are some good ideas nevertheless.
Alissa
A great book with excellent tips for taking photos while on your travels. I only wish I had read it a long time ago.
Decy
many tips are here !
how to take good composition
how to get nice lighting
how you set your diafragma
Nichole
This book is filled with quite a few tips. Nothing really extensive but helpful nonetheless.
Matthews M.
photography, especially travel photography, is exciting with a lot of challenges!
Amanda
References to film got annoying but there's a lot of useful info in here.
Karla
Pretty informative but it's more for film photography than digital photography.
Darina G.
VERY helpful and covers every aspect of photography thoroughly.
erry
ada yg mau berbaik hati memberi buku ini ke gw? :D *ngarep mode on*
Pablo Puente
Pablo Puente marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Mandy
Mandy is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Mustafa
Mustafa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Tolis
Tolis added it
Mar 19, 2015
Maria Pellosis
Maria Pellosis marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Photographs
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Photojournalism: The Professionals' Approach [With Dvdrom]
  • Berlin (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
Urban Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures Lonely Planet's Best Ever Photography Tips Nepal (General Pictorial) Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Photography Lonely Planet Wildlife Photography (How to)