Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The second edition of this best-selling guide to taking photographs while on the road has been thoroughly updated and revised to include a special new section on digital photography. Also includes new information on black and white photography techniques.
- Great for beginners and a handy reference for more experienced photographers
- Technical know-how in succinct, easy...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Lonely Planet (first published 2000)

Ninja Neko
I ordered this together with another photography guidebook ( The Photographer's Eye ) right before my trip next week. I was looking for tips to improve my photography without having to deal with too many technical details (I only have a point & shoot camera anyway), but more from a composition & interest point of view. I'm not aiming to become a professional, just to take more interesting, nicer pictures. And Travel Photography was, for me, the best one. The most accessible. I've read thr...more
Nicki Markus
This was a book I ordered with some 'points' I had to spend and I think it was a good choice.

This is a book that should suit most photographers, from beginners to intermediate level. The first half of the book is dedicated to the basics: what equipment you need, what that equipment does, and technical explanations of things such as aperture and shutter speed. This is good for the novice, but even had something to teach me at intermediate level. The author also offers tips for keeping your camer...more
William
This is a decent book on travel photography, and indeed on photography in general. It's full of great advice on how to go about shooting fantastic images around the world, all within a small book that's perfect for sticking in your camera bag whilst on your travels.

The only downside is that for someone like myself, who only deals with digital photography, too much time is spent discussing film photography, which sometimes gives the impression that the book isn't quite as up to date as it could b...more
Eldan Goldenberg
Useful manual. Fairly concise, but with enough information to still be helpful to people like me, who know the basic technical stuff pretty well but have plenty to learn about composition and material. Not much of it is actually specific to "travel", but then why would taking a picture of some other city be magically different from taking one of where I live?
Sallie
I thought this book was great for an amateur photographer like me. It coached me on how to prepare for the journey, what to bring for the journey, and how to think out of the box and take photos from different perpectives and angles.
Liz DeCoster
Primarily advice for DSLR camera owners, but gives a lot of good advice about when to get the best light, how to pre-plan for travel photography, and photography techniques for travel situations (festivals, shop windows, etc.)
Al
Needs an updated edition. The photography basics on composition, exposure, etc. are timeless, but the extensive number of pages dedicated to film photography and transporting/developing said film is definitely dated.
David
2009 3rd edition. (important as cameras evolve quickly). Pretty basic book (for 368 pages) but most non professional photographers would pick up a few ideas from it that they have not come across before.
Polina
great book and although written with non digital cameras in mind, it still gives lots of relevant tips that cover all areas of travel photography. A great basics book for those just starting out.
Tami
Jun 05, 2013 Tami added it
It was ok. It was published in 2000, and so much has changed in camera technology. There are some good ideas nevertheless.
Alissa
A great book with excellent tips for taking photos while on your travels. I only wish I had read it a long time ago.
Decy
many tips are here !
how to take good composition
how to get nice lighting
how you set your diafragma
Nichole
This book is filled with quite a few tips. Nothing really extensive but helpful nonetheless.
Matthews M.
photography, especially travel photography, is exciting with a lot of challenges!
Amanda
References to film got annoying but there's a lot of useful info in here.
Karla
Pretty informative but it's more for film photography than digital photography.
Darina G.
VERY helpful and covers every aspect of photography thoroughly.
erry
ada yg mau berbaik hati memberi buku ini ke gw? :D *ngarep mode on*
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tommo
Tommo added it
Jul 20, 2014
Jerry Williams
Jerry Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Elvira Ikiru
Elvira Ikiru marked it as to-read
Machella
Machella marked it as to-read
Jessica Nguyen
Jessica Nguyen marked it as to-read
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color and Composition in Photography
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Photographs
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1)
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Unlikely Destinations: The Lonely Planet Story
  • Portraits
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Lonely Planet: Japan
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Ansel Adams: 400 Photographs
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
Urban Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures Lonely Planet's Best Ever Photography Tips Nepal (General Pictorial) Lonely Planet's Guide to Travel Photography Lonely Planet Urban Photography (How to)