Start by marking “A Light on the Road to Woodstock” as Want to Read:
A Light on the Road to Woodstock

A Light on the Road to Woodstock (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael 0.1)

One of three 'prequel' short stories in the Cadfael series, released together in book form as A Rare Benedictine. In this first story, Cadfael is in his forties and newly returned to England, his soldiering days waning. It is during this adventure that Cadfael meets the Prior of The Abbey of St Peter and St Paul in Shrewsbury and makes his decision to join the Benedictines ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published August 1st 1993 by DH Audio (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Light on the Road to Woodstock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Light on the Road to Woodstock

From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Returning from the Crusades to a country he hardly recognises, Brother Cadfael finds intrigue and deception almost as soon as he lands in the court of his master Roger Mauduit.
Gaetano
Una insolita ambientazione nel medioevo inglese caratterizza questa serie di romanzi gialli che vedono come protagonista Fratello Cadfael.

Questo libro, con tre brevi racconti, contiene l’episodio della vocazione di Cadfael che, di ritorno dalle crociate, lo condurrà nell’abbazia benedettina di Shrewsbury. Per questo, pur non essendo il primo della serie, può introdurre la lettura dei successivi romanzi.

Storie semplici con dame, cavalieri, criminali e complotti che mi stimolano la prosecuzione de
Diabolika
Dec 16, 2016 Diabolika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery
Tre racconti brevi che introducono il personaggio di Fratello Cadfael, sufficientemente interessanti da stimolarmi ad iniziare la serie.

O forse, il libro giusto al momento giusto? In questo periodo ho tanta voglia di medioevo...
Bettie☯
Brother Cadfael - A Light On The Road To Woodstock - BBC Radio Audiobook - cheops
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adapted from the books by Ellis Peters and read by Nigel Anthony.

A Brother Cadfael story - set in Autumn of 1120 - in which he returns from the Crusades to find treachery and intrigue in the quiet corridors of England...

This story forms the first part of 'A RARE BENEDICTINE' - three tales which chronicle the events that led Brother Cadf
Sue
May 19, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Having read other books in the Cadfael series it was enjoyable to read this and find out how he joined the monastery at Shrewsbury. I love this series and for me Cadfael will always be synonymous with Derek Jacobi who played him in the TV series I watched many years ago (and can now rewatch due to the repeats on satellite TV).
vaishnavi
Dec 31, 2016 vaishnavi rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Having read just the prequel, I guess I am in no position to judge. The style reminds me of Robin hood. I should say the book found me at the wrong period of my life. I found it a bit slow and no where near great. And I doubt it could have kept me engaged as a child.
Tom
Mar 12, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
I was a boy the last time I visited with Brother Cadfael. It was grand to visit the simpler Middle Ages and see him again. Good plot. Strong characters. Well written!
Becky
I wish I could read Brother Cadfael for the first time again
Francesco
Delle tre storie l'unica decente è l'ultima, che verte su un furto delle rendite dell'abbazia. La prima sembra interrompersi sul più bello, la seconda è smielata e insulsa
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, gialli
Ren
Ren rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Mauro
Mauro rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Vesper
Vesper rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Magda
Magda rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
David Johnson
David Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Prp
Prp rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Daisy
Daisy rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Traci
Traci rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Marco
Marco rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
S Robinson
S Robinson rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
caterspotaters
caterspotaters rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Marylittlegoth
Marylittlegoth rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Guest05
Guest05 rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Miki
Miki rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Michele (Mikecas)
Michele (Mikecas) rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Horsehay (Shropshire, England), she had Welsh ancestry, and many of her sho
More about Ellis Peters...

Chronicles of Brother Cadfael (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Rare Benedictine (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, prequel stories 0.1-0.3)
  • A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
  • One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #2)
  • Monk's Hood (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #3)
  • St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • The Leper of Saint Giles (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #5)
  • The Virgin in the Ice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #6)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • The Devil's Novice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #8)
  • Dead Man's Ransom (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #9)