Start by marking “Africa on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)” as Want to Read:
Africa on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)

Africa on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Covering the countries on the African continent, this text is designed for all budgets and provides a comprehensive guide to the region. It includes: cultural, political and historical notes; travel advice; information on border crossings and visas; and advice on health, safety and local transport.
Paperback, 10th edition, 1084 pages
Published March 10th 2004 by Lonely Planet Publications

To ask other readers questions about Africa on a Shoestring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Africa on a Shoestring

Jamie is
I used to read this every day on the bus going to work in Chicago, soon after the book came out. I planned a (in retrospect impossible due to border closures, poor streets, and violence I knew nothing about then) trip from Nigeria looping up and back to Egypt. I canceled my plans and sold my guitar and all my books, packing two duffel bags for what I thought would be the rest of my life, when my boyfriend at the time beckoned me to return to Egypt earlier. Should have done the trip! In the next ...more
Benjamin
Jun 19, 2013 Benjamin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Map enthusiests, armchair explorers
About eight years ago, I was living in employee housing at a Colorado ski area. A few co-workers who were working their way around the world quit their ski area jobs after a few months to go teach at a surf school in Nicaragua, and abandoned a lot of stuff in their apartment. As we picked through their abandoned stuff, one of my roommates found the local library’s copy of this book. And what a find it was.

I have never traveled to Africa, so I cannot tell you if any of the advice contained in thi
Eliza
Africa is too big to fit into an entire Shoestring Guide. They made "Southeast Asia on a Shoestring" because it's only 11 countries, they should break up Africa a little as well!
Ahmad
I used this book for my Cape to Cairo trip. A lot of the history in this book is inaccurate. As a guide-book it was okay.
Sandra Roca
Sandra Roca marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Ahalya
Ahalya added it
Oct 04, 2014
Emily Mangan
Emily Mangan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Louis Du Plooy
Louis Du Plooy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Marwa Arafa
Marwa Arafa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Dave
Dave added it
Aug 07, 2012
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 01, 2012
Jodi
Jodi added it
Sep 24, 2011
Nadya Luqyana
Nadya Luqyana marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2010

Lonely Planet on a Shoestring (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Lonely Planet on a Shoestring: Africa
  • Africa on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • Across Asia on the Cheap
  • Australia & New Zealand on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • Central America on a Shoestring
  • Lonely Planet Central America on a Shoestring
  • Central America on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • Central America on a Shoestring
  • Central America on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
  • Central Europe on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)
Great Britain (Lonely Planet Guide) British Language & Culture (Lonely Planet Language and Culture) England (Lonely Planet Guide) Britain (Lonely Planet Guide) Walking in Britain