Start by marking “Run for the Roses” as Want to Read:
Run for the Roses

Run for the Roses

Abigail Conrad has spent her whole life training for one goal: to win the roses at the Arabian Youth Nationals. She’s given up friends, a social life, and doesn’t have time to even think about guys -- much less date!

Now that she’s headed off to college in the fall, it’s her last chance to be a Youth National Champion, and she won’t let anything distract her from that dream
ebook
Published November 2013 by Swoon Romance

To ask other readers questions about Run for the Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run for the Roses

Lizzy Charles
Nov 24, 2013 Lizzy Charles rated it it was amazing
This novella is such a fantastic read and a great deal! Rachel does such a great job creating authentic characters in Abigail and Chase. I’ve read Rachel’s first novel, Secondary Characters, and I went into this worried I wouldn’t swoon over Chase as much as I did with Lance in her first novel.

I was foolish to worry. I swooned big time!

Rachel does such a great job creating a dynamic and adorable relationship between Abigail and Chase! You’ll love it!

The other aspect of the novella that I loved
ChuCha
Dec 09, 2013 ChuCha rated it really liked it

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

some_text

She’s focused, goal-oriented and doesn’t need the distraction – Abigail Conrad isn’t going to be the Reserve Champion for the Arabian Youth Nationals. Her life-long training is finally going to pay off when she’s going to win the roses. She had sacrificed so much for her dreams. While other girls her age party and drinks, this girl is training her ass off. Heading off to college in the fall, this is her last chance to win.

some_text

What she didn’t expect was to meet
Leeanna
Dec 26, 2013 Leeanna rated it liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

RUN FOR THE ROSES features Abby, a super-motivated girl who wants to win the Youth Nationals. This year is her big chance, and winning is more important than ever because she wants the college scholarship prize, but also because she wants to win so bad it hurts. Abby’s spent years focusing on this goal, and her life consists of riding, school, and working to help support her dream.

Boys do NOT figure into Abby’s life. She has no time for a
Fiction_TheNewReality
Nov 17, 2013 Fiction_TheNewReality rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Synopsis: Abigail Conrad is horse lover, horse rider, and horse competition winner. Abby's been training all her life for Arabian Youth Nationals, and she won't let anything keep her from coming in first place. That is, until she meets the handsome older brother of her competition rival. When Chase comes into Abby's life, she'll need to make the choice between letting horseback riding rule her living or letting in someone new that just might change her life forever.

Review: First, a major thank
Cierra (The Book Lover's Report)
Run for the Roses is a clean YA novella. The farthest that they even went was kissing. I would consider this a sweet little romance. And I mean little literally. I actually hadn't known that this book was a novella when I decided to read it.

I thought that Chase was a great person/guy/character for Abigails character. He was always there for her, especially when she needed him. This is (probably) what most people want in a guy, especially of the romantic persuation.

You know how sometimes you star
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)
Nov 02, 2013 Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?

Run for the Roses by Rachel Schieffelbein is an awfully addictive story for such a short book. Sometimes, I feel like I'm missing something with novellas, but that wasn't the case here. I got to know the main character and her situation fully. She was fun and easy to relate to. The romance was sweet and clean. It was plain cute! I feel like I got to know the supporting characters pretty well too. It was a story I would have enjoyed in high school as well. I re
Kelley Lynn
Oct 31, 2013 Kelley Lynn rated it it was amazing
Wrapped up in the 80 pages is a fantastic story ARC and wonderfully built characters. The emotions are genuine and real. We get it all, love, loss, determination, victory and defeat. I want to spend more time with Chase and Abby, but I don't have to. This story is that well written.

Probably the coolest aspect to this tale is the authenticity that comes with Rachel's experience with horses. The reader can easily tell that we are in the head of a true competitor, and one who lives and breathes the
Cassie Mae
Aug 16, 2013 Cassie Mae rated it it was amazing
Adorable, charming, easy read with characters who feel so real, I wanted to hug Abigail and smooch Chase. (I did hug my computer a few times ;))

Abigail is driven... one goal in her mind and boys are a distraction. But who cares when it's the yummy Chase, right? I felt for her... her passion for the races, her love for her horse, and the pressure to live up to something she's worked so hard for. I think a lot of people can relate to this character and her journey through this book.

Chase is a swoo
Nora Black
Nov 19, 2013 Nora Black rated it it was amazing
The interesting backstory for this novella elevates it into something more than a schoolgirl romance. The character of the main protagonist, with all her self-doubt and glowing ambition, make for an interesting read whatever your age. Chase Benson is suitably gorgeous as the hero boy of our love story and there is an element of suspense since he is the brother of our heroines sworn enemy and main rival for her ultimate goal the horsy Nationals, with the roses and silver trophy that go to the win ...more
Lenore Kosinski
Feb 26, 2014 Lenore Kosinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Super cute little novella. I actually felt like I learned quite a bit about horse stuff (the technical term) from reading this. Abigail was kind of hard to completely get behind, but I think that was the point. She was just so stubborn and ridiculous. And I almost thought that Chase was put up to it by Sydney, so apparently I wholeheartedly bought into Abi's paranoia...*smirk*

I really love how Ms. Schieffelbein captures that whole crush stuff....seriously, I loved reading Abi's thoughts about Ch
Jennifer Ramsey
Feb 13, 2014 Jennifer Ramsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOT my usual genre but the story is set at the Arabian Youth Nationals horse show. Arabian horses are my passion and I have fond memories of showing at Youth Nationals in the past. This is a cute young adult romance short story. The characters are a bit too perfect and they fall in love too quickly...but isn't that how most teenagers see love anyway? A very fun read. The author captures the horse show environment perfectly even for non-horse people.
Leandra
Nov 18, 2013 Leandra rated it it was amazing
Super enjoyed this and loved how yummy Chase was. A girl w/a big dream, a boy w/green eyes & muscles, and then throw in horses- books can't get much better than that! One of my fav lines was a snarky comment that the mc, Abby, made about her 'frenemy' Sydney, that was along the lines of her being born w/her head up and heels down. Anyone who has ever taken riding lessons can definitely appreciate that comment, lol!
Elizabeth Seckman
Nov 19, 2013 Elizabeth Seckman rated it it was amazing
First loves are always fun to read, but add in the backdrop of show horses made it even better. I didn't know much about the show horse world, but Rachel brought it to life. Good read, all the way to the author's note. Seems Rachel knew this world first hand!
Jeana Marie
Oct 05, 2013 Jeana Marie rated it really liked it
This is a cute little story, though not quiiite as good as Rachel's debut, Secondary Characters. But still very enjoyable! :o)

(P.S. Chase.... thou art mine)
Susan
Sep 06, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Like Rachel's other novella, I didn't want this one to end. It's a sweet, fun love story with unforgettable characters.
Juliana
Oct 11, 2013 Juliana rated it it was amazing
Super sweet and cute story! And it has horses! Love me some horses ;)
Cameron
Read for professional services
Jessica
Aug 06, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I know this was meant to be a novella, but I would have loved to explore the characters more. There was potential in all of them. But I enjoyed this sweet YA romance.
Fly To The Sky
Nov 03, 2013 Fly To The Sky rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5
Cute book! Lovely short story
More to come...
Cynthia LaBrecque
Cynthia LaBrecque rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Catie
Catie rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Jessica Salyer
Jessica Salyer rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2013
Bailey Lamar
Bailey Lamar rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Brigitte Thomas
Brigitte Thomas rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Jolene Haley
Jolene Haley rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Arabella Oliger
Arabella Oliger rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
  • Pride and Prep School (Snark and Circumstance, #3)
  • The Funeral Singer
  • Class of '98
  • Unexpectedly You
  • Me After You (Willowhaven, #1)
  • False Start (Love and Skate, #5)
  • The Dating Tutor
  • Heartbreak Ranch (A Very Sexy Romance)
  • The Cinderella Moment
  • Perfectly Able
  • (Never) Again (Again, #1)
  • Maverick (Maverick Academy Series)
  • Messy Jessie
  • Camp Christmas (Camp Boyfriend, #1.5)
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  • How to Date a Nerd (How To, #1)
  • Cruiser (Cruiser & Lex, #1)
  • In the Blood
Rachel grew up in a tiny town in Minnesota. She still lives there, with her husband and their four kids. She coaches high school speech and theater, rides Arabian horses, reads as much as she can, and writes stories.
More about Rachel Schieffelbein...