Start by marking “Run for the Roses” as Want to Read:
Run for the Roses

Run for the Roses

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Abigail Conrad has spent her whole life training for one goal: to win the roses at the Arabian Youth Nationals. She’s given up friends, a social life, and doesn’t have time to even think about guys -- much less date!

Now that she’s headed off to college in the fall, it’s her last chance to be a Youth National Champion, and she won’t let anything distract her from that dream
Published November 2013 by Swoon Romance

To ask other readers questions about Run for the Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run for the Roses

Riptide by Amber Lea EastonFire of Stars and Dragons by Melissa PetreshockHow to Date a Nerd by Cassie MaeThe Funeral Singer by Linda BudzinskiAnonymity by Amber Lea Easton
Best Swoon Romance Book Cover of 2013
8th out of 302 books — 69 voters
Complicate Me by M.  RobinsonHow to Seduce a Band Geek by Cassie MaeHow to Date a Nerd by Cassie MaeHow to Hook a Bookworm by Cassie MaeLove and Cupcakes by Susan Bishop Crispell
Swoon Romance Novels
62nd out of 109 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Lizzy Charles
This novella is such a fantastic read and a great deal! Rachel does such a great job creating authentic characters in Abigail and Chase. I’ve read Rachel’s first novel, Secondary Characters, and I went into this worried I wouldn’t swoon over Chase as much as I did with Lance in her first novel.

I was foolish to worry. I swooned big time!

Rachel does such a great job creating a dynamic and adorable relationship between Abigail and Chase! You’ll love it!

The other aspect of the novella that I loved
Cierra (The Book Lover's Report)
Run for the Roses is a clean YA novella. The farthest that they even went was kissing. I would consider this a sweet little romance. And I mean little literally. I actually hadn't known that this book was a novella when I decided to read it.

I thought that Chase was a great person/guy/character for Abigails character. He was always there for her, especially when she needed him. This is (probably) what most people want in a guy, especially of the romantic persuation.

You know how sometimes you star
This review originally appeared on my blog,

RUN FOR THE ROSES features Abby, a super-motivated girl who wants to win the Youth Nationals. This year is her big chance, and winning is more important than ever because she wants the college scholarship prize, but also because she wants to win so bad it hurts. Abby’s spent years focusing on this goal, and her life consists of riding, school, and working to help support her dream.

Boys do NOT figure into Abby’s life. She has no time for a

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

She’s focused, goal-oriented and doesn’t need the distraction – Abigail Conrad isn’t going to be the Reserve Champion for the Arabian Youth Nationals. Her life-long training is finally going to pay off when she’s going to win the roses. She had sacrificed so much for her dreams. While other girls her age party and drinks, this girl is training her ass off. Heading off to college in the fall, this is her last chance to win.

What she didn’t expect was to meet
Synopsis: Abigail Conrad is horse lover, horse rider, and horse competition winner. Abby's been training all her life for Arabian Youth Nationals, and she won't let anything keep her from coming in first place. That is, until she meets the handsome older brother of her competition rival. When Chase comes into Abby's life, she'll need to make the choice between letting horseback riding rule her living or letting in someone new that just might change her life forever.

Review: First, a major thank
Kelley Lynn
Wrapped up in the 80 pages is a fantastic story ARC and wonderfully built characters. The emotions are genuine and real. We get it all, love, loss, determination, victory and defeat. I want to spend more time with Chase and Abby, but I don't have to. This story is that well written.

Probably the coolest aspect to this tale is the authenticity that comes with Rachel's experience with horses. The reader can easily tell that we are in the head of a true competitor, and one who lives and breathes the
Gabby (What's Beyond Forks?)

Full Review at: What's Beyond Forks?

Run for the Roses by Rachel Schieffelbein is an awfully addictive story for such a short book. Sometimes, I feel like I'm missing something with novellas, but that wasn't the case here. I got to know the main character and her situation fully. She was fun and easy to relate to. The romance was sweet and clean. It was plain cute! I feel like I got to know the supporting characters pretty well too. It was a story I would have enjoyed in high school as well. I re
Nora Black
The interesting backstory for this novella elevates it into something more than a schoolgirl romance. The character of the main protagonist, with all her self-doubt and glowing ambition, make for an interesting read whatever your age. Chase Benson is suitably gorgeous as the hero boy of our love story and there is an element of suspense since he is the brother of our heroines sworn enemy and main rival for her ultimate goal the horsy Nationals, with the roses and silver trophy that go to the win ...more
Cassie Mae
Adorable, charming, easy read with characters who feel so real, I wanted to hug Abigail and smooch Chase. (I did hug my computer a few times ;))

Abigail is driven... one goal in her mind and boys are a distraction. But who cares when it's the yummy Chase, right? I felt for her... her passion for the races, her love for her horse, and the pressure to live up to something she's worked so hard for. I think a lot of people can relate to this character and her journey through this book.

Chase is a swoo
Lenore Kosinski
Super cute little novella. I actually felt like I learned quite a bit about horse stuff (the technical term) from reading this. Abigail was kind of hard to completely get behind, but I think that was the point. She was just so stubborn and ridiculous. And I almost thought that Chase was put up to it by Sydney, so apparently I wholeheartedly bought into Abi's paranoia...*smirk*

I really love how Ms. Schieffelbein captures that whole crush stuff....seriously, I loved reading Abi's thoughts about Ch
Jennifer Ramsey
NOT my usual genre but the story is set at the Arabian Youth Nationals horse show. Arabian horses are my passion and I have fond memories of showing at Youth Nationals in the past. This is a cute young adult romance short story. The characters are a bit too perfect and they fall in love too quickly...but isn't that how most teenagers see love anyway? A very fun read. The author captures the horse show environment perfectly even for non-horse people.
Super enjoyed this and loved how yummy Chase was. A girl w/a big dream, a boy w/green eyes & muscles, and then throw in horses- books can't get much better than that! One of my fav lines was a snarky comment that the mc, Abby, made about her 'frenemy' Sydney, that was along the lines of her being born w/her head up and heels down. Anyone who has ever taken riding lessons can definitely appreciate that comment, lol!
Elizabeth Seckman
First loves are always fun to read, but add in the backdrop of show horses made it even better. I didn't know much about the show horse world, but Rachel brought it to life. Good read, all the way to the author's note. Seems Rachel knew this world first hand!
Jeana Marie
This is a cute little story, though not quiiite as good as Rachel's debut, Secondary Characters. But still very enjoyable! :o)

(P.S. Chase.... thou art mine)
Jan 22, 2014 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Like Rachel's other novella, I didn't want this one to end. It's a sweet, fun love story with unforgettable characters.
Super sweet and cute story! And it has horses! Love me some horses ;)
I know this was meant to be a novella, but I would have loved to explore the characters more. There was potential in all of them. But I enjoyed this sweet YA romance.
Fly To The Sky
Actual rating: 3.5
Cute book! Lovely short story
More to come...
Read for professional services
fee marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Sanna Bengtsson
Sanna Bengtsson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Linda Cullen
Linda Cullen marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Tanisha Jain
Tanisha Jain marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Gisselle marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
  • The Funeral Singer
  • Pride and Prep School (Snark and Circumstance, #3)
  • Class of '98
  • Unexpectedly You
  • Me After You (Willowhaven, #1)
  • False Start (Love and Skate, #5)
  • Maverick (Maverick Academy Series)
  • How to Date a Nerd (How To, #1)
  • Heartbreak Ranch (A Very Sexy Romance)
  • (Never) Again (Again, #1)
  • Hooked
  • Perfectly Able
  • The Cinderella Moment
  • Camp Christmas (Camp Boyfriend, #1.5)
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  • In the Blood
  • Soul Oath (Everlast, #2)
  • Breaking the Arm, Healing the Heart
Rachel grew up in a tiny town in Minnesota. She still lives there, with her husband and their four kids. She coaches high school speech and theater, rides Arabian horses, reads as much as she can, and writes stories.
More about Rachel Schieffelbein...