Start by marking “The Tin Forest” as Want to Read:
The Tin Forest

The Tin Forest

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  41 reviews
There was once a wide, windswept place, near nowhere and close to forgotten....

In the middle of a dark, lonely wasteland filled with old scrap metal lives an old man. Every night he dreams of a lively forest, full of sunshine, plants, birds, and animals. Every morning he wakes to gloom and bad weather. Then one day, he comes up with an idea to change things. But can an i
Published October 13th 2003 by Puffin Books (first published 2001)

Kathryn
Beautiful story, sweetly told with engrossing illustrations that are magical and yet almost ugly at times in perfect keeping with the garbage-metal world the man lives in at first. This book manages not to be overt with the environmental message—but it's certainly there, so if that sort of thing annoys you then probably this book will, too. However, I think that it's almost more about being imaginative, about having dreams and going after them—most of all, it's about making lemonade from lemons ...more
Elaine
Really, this is such a delightful book that I almost wish I'd never given another 5 star review so this one would stand out. I love everything about this book. I love the story and how this wonderful old man brings beauty out of the ashes (aka garbage). I love the font that was chosen and how it is gray and not black, adding to the soft dignity of the book. I absolutely LOVE the illustrations, the detail and the use of color. I got this from the library but I'll be ordering my own copy tomorrow. ...more
Tim Hackbarth
Tin Forest is a children's book with a deeper message. It is about a man who yearned for a different world than the one he had. He built a forest out of the trash around him and found joy in the process. It is a book about taking ownership for the environment. It is also a book that teaches adaptability and forethought. The pictures are very engaging and the text is simple. I would use this as part of an environmental unit or with a child that was feeling helpless about their situation. It is de ...more
Pam
This is a delightfully sweet book with great life lessons. I loved the story by Helen Ward as well as the illustrations by Wayne Anderson. As a person who loves to make welded sculptures out of junk metal, this story is just close to my heart. This is a great book to teach children to dream, to be artistic and to make the best out of your situation. As they say, when life gives you too many lemons, make lemonade. I highly recommend it to parents as a way to spark many conversations!
Mary
This wonderful picture book is for anyone who has hope and believes that there is a way. Or for those who believe that our world is without hope and so why care...
When I got to the end of the book my heart felt warm and my hopes were stoked. The illustrations are fabulous. Good read for Children and adults.
Sara
The dreams of this old man are powerful indeed. My two, four and six year olds were drawn in and eager to see what each new page would bring. Well written with kind and gentle verse, beautifully illustrated and wholesome.
Nabila Anwar
Pak Tua tinggal sendiri. Di sebuah rumah kecil di tengah timbunan kaleng rombeng. Dia bermimpi tentang sebuah hutan asri dengan harimau, katak pohon dan burung-burung. Satu hari dia berusaha mewujudkan mimpinya. Pak Tua membuat hutan dari tumpukan kaleng rombeng.

Ilustrasi buku ini menawan sangat. Tak salah kalau di sampul depannya dipajang tulisan Winner og The National Art Library Award. Kekuatan naskahnya juga bagus. Beberapa kalimat terasa puitis. Saya suka bagaimana ilustrator menggambarkan
No Books
«L'idea mise radici e poi germogli. Nutrendosi dei rifiuti, mise foglie. Mise rami. Diventò più grande e ancora più grande».

Nel mezzo di una discarica sterminata c’è una casetta, in cui vive un vecchio che ogni giorno cerca di ordinare, contenere, domare l’ammasso di rifiuti metallici. Ogni notte il vecchio sogna di vivere in una giungla tropicale; ma al risveglio si trova circondato dai rottami e da un clima uggioso fin troppo nordico. Finché non si imbatte in una lampadina scheggiata, che gli
Grace Abwooli
The Tin Forest, by Helen Ward, tells the story of an old man who lived in what is described as a, "wide, windswept place, near nowhere and close to forgotten, that was filled with all the things that no one wanted." Every day, the old man clears away the garbage, "sifting and sorting, burning and burying." Every night the man dreams of a beautiful world full of plants and animals, but every day he awakens to the same dull grey world. One day, the old man decides to build the world that he dreams ...more
Sunny Cooper
Absolutely perfect. My little man found this in a Walgreens bin; I bought it for a few bucks, and had no idea what we had discovered. An underrated classic. Full of delectable art, redemptive themes, and a beautiful story about a gentle soul who loves his own Eden into being. This sits right next to "Where the Wild Things Are" and "The Secret Garden" in our bookshelf.
Connie
When the story starts, we're told about a man who lives in a great plain full of things nobody wanted. Every night he reads about the rain forest, until one day an idea "sprouted and grew" in his mind and he starts to build his own forest out of the scraps around his house. He fills the forest with tin trees and animals, and flowers of metal and glass, until one day a real bird stops on a branch. The man is overjoyed, but saddened when the bird leaves him again. However (yay!) the bird comes bac ...more
Chelsea
There is now a land that is quiet and lonely, full of things that no one wants. In the middle there is a small cottage where a little old man lives and looks over other people’s trash. Every day he tried to get rid of it all, and every night he dreamed a beautiful forest. Unfortunately every morning he realizes it was just a dream. He gets an idea to build the forest with the trash around him, and in the end wishes for it to be real. I love this book because it has beautiful illustrations and ni ...more
Curtis
A great children's book!
Rachel
nice pictures
Dyah Rinni
Saya suka banget cerita kecil ini. Ceritanya sederhana, tentang seorang bapak yang tinggal di tengah barang rongsokan. Ia bermimpi untuk berada di tengah hutan yang indah. Tapi alih-alih cuma ngomel dan menyalahkan situasi, ia membangun hutan impiannya sendiri dari barang rongsokan. Cerita yang bagus. Mengajarkan anak-anak (dan orang dewasa juga) untuk berpikir positif dan melakukan tindakan. Jangan diam saja atau cuma ngomel. Do something!
Nakitah
The Tin Forest will help students think in a creative manner when it comes to their environment. The man in the book creates a forest out of scrap metal, and it eventually begins to come to life with real animals. THis can be used to adress recycling and how we can minimize waste to help our environment florish.
Jostalady
Nice book, creative. I like how Helen actively keeps hope alive in her books and demonstrates that even when the world is bleak, we have the power in us to create a better place and that optimistic patience pays. A theme I saw her her book, Varmints, and I love that book a lot.
Jim Agustin
A post-apocalyptic world is the unexpected setting for this enchanting picture book. Imagination becomes a source of solitude and regeneration. I can look at the illustrations over and over and marvel at the careful details. Definitely not just for kids.
Megan
I just read this aloud to my class today to talk about mood. It has two very distinct moods and they are very obvious throughout the book. A great introduction and concrete way to showcase mood. Thanks Holly for the suggestion!
Kyle Greenberg
The Tin Forest is a great book for any students, even middle school students. They can learn through the imaginative story of The Tin Forest about recycling, natural resources, and how to change things into becoming reusable.
Ryan
Jan 10, 2013 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lily, Bailey, Robin, Roy
Lovely pictures and ideas. An old man lives in a junkyard, but dreams of a forest. Good bedtime book - sleepy words and pictures and ideas. Sleep little one, dream of lovely things.
Marlene
Another children's book I didn't read until I was an adult. This book was given to me from a friend as a birthday gift, and absolutely loved it because there are so much of me in the book.
Kelly
The illustrations are fabulous to say the least - the story incredible and helps you realize the importance of just one person in helping take care of the world we live in.
Matthew
I don't know what it is about this book, probably the warm feeling that I get from the illustrations or maybe the hopeful note of the story, but I really enjoyed this book.
Greta
Earth friendly book, great illustrations. An old man dreams of of green forest and then builds his own forest out of metal garbage and trash that surrounds his house.
Samantha Penrose
Amazing!
The synopsis provided here on goodreads will tell you what you need to know, the rest is in the experience. The illustrations are awesome.
Chrystal
I enjoyed the art and creativity of this book. My 5 year old thought it was cool how they were made of tin and then "they turned into real."
MissInformation
A lonely tinker creates his own clever tin forest. Beyond the green message, there is a wonderful lesson in creating your own beauty.
Kerry
Breathtaking...
Two really solid ideas in here, never stop dreaming and recycle. It's up there with the greats on my list.
  • Imagine a Day
  • A Quiet Place
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • The Little Yellow Leaf
  • Prehistoric Actual Size
Helen Ward won the first Walker Prize for Children’s Illustration and twice won the British National Art Library Award. She has also been short-listed for the 2003 Kate Greenaway Medal. She lives in Gloucestershire, England.
More about Helen Ward...
Varmints The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse Spots in a Box The Dragon Machine Unwitting Wisdom: An Anthology of Aesop's Fables