Start by marking “All You Need Is Kill (Graphic Novel)” as Want to Read:
All You Need Is Kill (Graphic Novel)

All You Need Is Kill (Graphic Novel)

When the alien Mimics invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor called a Jacket and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to be reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On his 158th iteration, he gets a message from a mysterious ally--the female soldier known as the Full Metal Bitch. Is she the key to ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Haikasoru

Jedi JC
Jul 14, 2014 Jedi JC rated it it was ok
The graphic novel adaptation of All You Need is Kill depends much on the notion that those who will be reading it are the people who have either read the novel or saw the movie Edge of Tomorrow. As a stand-alone graphic novel, someone without any prior knowledge about the movie or the novel will find the comics confusing. Many of the important elements are not clearly explained.

On the other hand, those who have read the novel or watched the movie will feel like they have to recall many things f
Michael Healy
Calling this a graphic novel is adaptation of the original All You Need Is Kill is not quite right. To me at least it felt more like a trailer for the novel in comic form (maybe a brand new medium). You are given the bare minimum amount of exposition for the plot to be mostly understandable and lots of disjointed action, seemingly out of context snippets of dialogue and narration.

Outside of a few odd moments (Rita addressing the reader while explaining her backstory, the action figures from "the
Bill
Nov 18, 2014 Bill rated it did not like it
Full of meh. The aliens are abysmally designed. The pacing is terrible and the page layouts would be confusing if there were anything going on on the page that you needed to understand, which there isn't. Read the book, watch the movie, avoid the obvious movie related cash grab that this slim graphic novel represents. The best thing about it was that it didn't take very long to read.
Sharon Powers
Jul 14, 2014 Sharon Powers rated it it was ok
A graphic novel is, in form, a bound book with material similar to full novels. They can be hardcover or card stock and include topics of fiction and non-fiction, or even such things as anthologies or collections.

The graphic novel is distinguished from comics or comic books even though the bulk of the material consists of art work. Comic books are printed on inexpensive bulk paper and graphic novels are printed on much higher quality of paper. Some are truly beautiful with glossy pages and be
Nicole Bunge
For better or worse, this is based on the light novel by Hiroshi Sakaurazaka, and it comes off as a Cliff Notes version of the novel - which is a 'light novel' (so think YA) which has also been translated and reissued by Viz under their Haika Soru label. Even the art is rushed, with backgrounds being flat colors - not actual settings - most of the time, so the whole thing feels hollow, no depth to the world it takes place in.

It's not a bad introduction, and I haven't seen the movie adaptation,
Kirsten
Sep 24, 2015 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015, reviewed
Even a Coles Notes has more info than this does. While its an adaptation it doesn't even scratch the surface of the original novel. This version feels superficial it doesn't get into what made the book so good. Many important scenes were cut out and we barely know anything about the characters (also what is with Rita breaking fourth wall? Where did that even come from).

The only good thing about these flaws is that I could finish reading it soon and move on to something better.
Library
Nov 01, 2014 Library rated it it was ok
The graphic novel adaptation of a graphic novel? Okay. An interesting story but this adaptation leaves a lot of unanswered questions and was sometimes hard to follow. This book certainly doesn't inspire me to watch the movie based from it but perhaps one day I wil read the story that started it all.
Michael Loring
Jul 14, 2014 Michael Loring rated it it was amazing
This is a very good graphic novel, albeit you have to of read the original novel to get it. I recommend this to everyone who has read the novel!
Lee
Aug 11, 2015 Lee rated it it was ok
Well, nice try.

Sorry though, you're compared to Yoshitoshi ABe and Takeshi Obata here..
Ria
Oct 15, 2016 Ria rated it liked it
This was just OK - the art wasn't great and I think the film did a better job with the narrative. Will have to try the novel instead.
Ian Wood
Jul 14, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove
Artur Coelho
Jul 14, 2014 Artur Coelho rated it it was ok
Quando comecei a olhar com atenção para a FC japonesa publicada pela Haikasoru All You Need Is Kill despertou-me a atenção. Belíssima peça de FC militarista, estava escrita numa linguagem tão clara que poderia dar um excelente filme. Não devo ter sido o único a pensar nisso. Esta história que pode ser descrita como um Groundhog Day com invasões alienígenas está prestes a estrear no grande ecrã, com os efeitos especiais da praxe e canastrão a rigor para atrair multidões às salas. Vai ter a trajec ...more
Nuno Almeida
Oct 01, 2014 Nuno Almeida rated it it was ok
É impossível evitar comparações entre esta graphic novel e a adaptação a manga, sobretudo porque os triunfos da última são os maiores erros da primeira. Enquanto a manga levou o seu tempo, contando a história inteira ao longo de 15 capítulos mais tarde reunidos em dois volumes, este comic resume tudo em menos de 100 páginas, condensando personagens e situações, atropelando-se na sua pressa de contar a história.

Enquanto a manga traduzia as palavras em imagens cuidadas, com representações fiéis da
Zedsdead
Sep 02, 2015 Zedsdead rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody.
Recommended to Zedsdead by: I liked the movie.
Shelves: graphic-novels
There's a surprisingly good Tom Cruise movie called Edge of Tomorrow about a couple of human heroes fighting off an alien invasion. I thought it was based on this graphic novel. Turns out the graphic novel--like the movie--is based on this book. Wish I'd figured that out before.

This book is bad. The best thing I can say about it is that it's extremely short. But it's short because most of the plot is missing. Half the panels appear to be unconnected to the scene. The art goes all pixelly from ti
Alex
Jul 14, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
First off, All You Need Is Kill, is one of my favorite SF novels of the last few years. So I had high hopes. (I have zero hope for the Tom Cruise film coming out soon.)

For the most part, they were met. The artwork is clean, and Nick got what I consider to be the crucial scenes onto the page. You can follow the story without having read the book, and if you have, the story has remained faithful.

As with other reviewers, I believe that this adaptation could've used another fifteen to twenty pages t
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I can definitely see why my son would enjoy this.

He has read the novel but I have only seen the movie (The Edge of Tomorrow).

The graphic novel confused me at times but I was lucky that my son told me the differences between the book and the movie.

I wouldn't recommend reading this unless you have read the book or seen the movie. Even with me just seeing the movie I was confused so perhaps reading the book too will help.

The book seemed rush. My son told me it was like a really really cut down vers
Dimitris
Dec 27, 2014 Dimitris rated it it was ok
(Background: Have just watched Edge of Tomorrow but I have not read the novel.)

I suppose the above has its role in why I was so disappointed in the graphic novel which felt rushed and emotionless. The absence of any substantial character development is probably to be expected but still, almost shocking how bad this all works. It feels disjointed and unnecessary, heartless and bleak but not in a melancholic sense. The writing feels mechanical and stale, as if a good idea was written by a machine
Vikas Khair
Jul 14, 2014 Vikas Khair rated it really liked it
I learned about this graphic novel/book while reading review for the upcoming Tom Cruise movie 'Edge of Tomorrow', I must say that the producers surely picked a nice book to make a movie.

Basically aliens have attacked earth and almost finished the human race and our hero dies while trying to fight them but he wakes up again to fight the aliens and dying again. so on and so forth.

Its a very nice graphic novel and everyone should read it, I finished it in one single session after all its only abo
Beth
Sep 28, 2015 Beth rated it did not like it
Luckily I've seen the movie The Edge of Tomorrow and read the other (MUCH BETTER) graphic novel of All You Need is Kill, so I had an inkling of what was going on. There was SO much left out of this version, that unless you've read the novel or the graphic novel, nothing would make sense (the movie is totally different). I was really disappointed. Important plot points were left out, characters were not well identified (or even named), and the whole thing just sucked. Not worth the time.
Mike
Sep 11, 2014 Mike rated it it was ok
The graphic novel adaptation of Hiroshi Sakurazaka's All You Need Is Kill. Since I read the novel first, I was able to follow the graphic novel version, bu it was... challenging. Without the background, I think I would have seen no connection to Edge of Tomorrow, and had a really difficult time enjoying the GN.
Stewart Tame
Nov 22, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it liked it
Not bad. This is a decent bit of science fiction. I can't help but feel that the original novel is probably better. I haven't seen the recent Tom Cruise film based on the book either. So basically this guy keeps reliving the same loop of time over and over again. It eventually becomes clear what's happening and what he needs to do to break the cycle. It's ultimately a bit too much flashy and stylish for its own good. Substance is important too. It's a decent quick read, but not much else.
Paul Harmon
I give this three star because having read the original novel....and really liked it...this seemed to leave out way more than should have been to understand what was really going on. It isnt too bad but pales in comparison to the novel.

Side note Hollywood has found a way to F this up as well making a movie out of it called Edge of Tomorrow changing the title of even the book and starring a 50 year old Tome cruise as young raw 18 year old raw recruit Keiji...screw Hollywood and Tom Cruise.
Joshua
Sep 12, 2014 Joshua rated it it was amazing
Michael Daaboul
Jun 26, 2016 Michael Daaboul rated it really liked it
It's a fast read that's written well. I wish there was more and disappointing that it's a small take on a much larger piece of work.

With that said, I still enjoyed my time reading through the action and found the artwork to be inventive for the most part.

Despite the negative reception it gets, understand what you're in for, and that is a fast, action filled take of the world in All You Need Is Kill.
J.C.
Sep 17, 2014 J.C. rated it liked it
Shelves: other
The Graphic Novel adaptation of the novel which became the 2014 movie Edge of Tomorrow. Pretty good story, going to read the book soon, and see the movie too. The art work could have been a bit better. Hope the movie keeps the origin of the invaders the same, cause it's hilarious.
Craig
Nov 10, 2014 Craig rated it liked it
This is the story of the guy who relives a day of battle, over and over. Like groundhog day (the movie) but in war. It is based on the novel that the movie Edge of Tomorrow was; so tells the same basic story.

This graphic novel's plot is pretty simple and uncomplicated.
It is entertaining enough; but felt a bit like a summary more than a complete story.
Brendan
Oct 13, 2014 Brendan rated it it was ok
Comics have a remarkable facility for telling stories quickly — a few panels can do the work it took pages to do in a novel. That said, All You Need is Kill feels like the poor ripoff of the novel by the same name. Its very brief story goes by very quickly, and adds little to the tale. I’d recommend the novel or the film instead.
Bill
Jul 13, 2016 Bill rated it it was ok
If you didn't know the story, you'd never be able to follow it in this jumbled up adaptation of the hit novel that inspired the not-quite-hit movie. Even if you know the story it's hard to follow here and I found myself disappointed by the flat art and flatter characters. Recommended only for completists.
Adam Weinert
Jul 24, 2014 Adam Weinert rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody, read the book.
This is a graphic-novel adaptation of the Novel "All you need is kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. A lot is lost in translation, but even more from the book to the graphic novel. Of course, the book was the basis for the Tom Cruise film, Edge of Tomorrow.
Yoly
Jul 14, 2014 Yoly rated it liked it
I read the novel a few days ago and loved it and wanted to see how the story translated into a graphic novel. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting a bit more. I felt it was a bit too short.

Novel > graphic novel :)
  • Tomie 2
  • Gambit Classic, Vol. 1
  • Myspace Dark Horse Presents, Volume 3
  • Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye, Volume 2
  • Elementary Particles and the Laws of Physics: The 1986 Dirac Memorial Lectures
193861
Nick Mamatas is the author of the Lovecraftian Beat road novel Move Under Ground, which was nominated for both the Bram Stoker and International Horror Guild awards, the Civil War ghost story Northern Gothic, also a Stoker nominee, the suburban nighmare novel Under My Roof, and over thirty short stories and hundreds of articles (some of which were collected in 3000 Miles Per Hour in Every ...more
More about Nick Mamatas...