Start by marking “Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death” as Want to Read:
Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death

Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death

You probably think you know all there is to know: Anna Nicole Smith lost her son. She accidentally overdosed. She was a drug addict.

You don't know a thing...

She was famous for being famous-Americana at its Scarlet Letter-wearing best. A bodacious young girl from Texas, Anna remade herself into the centrefold of the world. She was a "dumb blonde," a stripper, a Playboy Play
Published September 4th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blonde Ambition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blonde Ambition

Leeanne
Feb 18, 2015 Leeanne rated it did not like it
Terrible! Nothing but conjecture and tabloid trash. Practically everything in this book is a work of fiction. Disappointed to see so many people buying this when it was proven that Rita attempted to bribe witnesses and was unable to produce ONE credible (or otherwise) source. I could see how people not knowing a lot about Anna Nicole would find it interesting, but if you are a true fan; SKIP THIS ONE. It is salacious and interesting but it should be categorized as a novel not a biography. Good f ...more
Doris Jean
Yes, blonde ambition: Vickie Lynn Hogan Hart Smith Marshall was a single mom high school drop-out with a little boy named Daniel Wayne Smith. She wanted to be Marilyn Monroe. In October, 1991, she met J. Howard Marshall, who was a retired trust and probate attorney worth $550,000,000 while she was working the lunch shift as a topless dancer at a gentlemen's club in Houston. Marshall helped fund and promote her career. 1n 1992 she was on the cover of Playboy and was the Playmate of the Year in 19 ...more
Kara
Sep 04, 2007 Kara rated it it was ok
This isn't going to win any awards, but it was an interesting look into the "third side of the story". In my opinion, Rita Cosby can't write for anything, but if you're interested in the scandal surrounding Anna Nicole's murder, it's worth a read. It took me about a week to get through, so it's quick. I'm not sure how much of this story I believe though...part of me wants to say it's too far fetched, but if there's one thing Anna Nicole taught us, it's that sometimes truth is stranger than ficti ...more
Cassandra Javier
Dec 31, 2013 Cassandra Javier rated it really liked it
First book I finished reading this 2014! yay! :)

This is the untold story of the events that led up to Anna Nicole Smith's death in 2007. As a Pop-Culture geek, and some sort of a fatalist, when I came across this book, I realized that I really had to buy it because I always like getting an inside look regarding these mysterious Hollywood Deaths.

Anna Nicole's death affected me in such a way that back then, it really opened up my mind to what drugs can do to someone. She was trying to get her lif
Marianne Jay
May 16, 2009 Marianne Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is very disturbing. Some of it I knew from news accounts, other parts came as a total shock.

The parallels between Marilyn Monroe and Anna Nicole are, quite frankly, creepy.

Both addicted to drugs, both surrounded themselves with toxic people who had agenda's, both were murdered (I believe that Marilyn was murdered and I do believe that Anna Nicole was murdered.)

It actually seems as if Marilyn was reincarnated into Anna Nicole Smith.

Rita Cosby makes some allegations in this book that I
Nicolle
Mar 04, 2012 Nicolle rated it liked it
This book was an excellent time line. I enjoyed reading the book because I felt it broke down for those of not involved in the immediate the events that took place. I believe that something took place out of the ordinary with this group of scum, I believe innocent people did get tangled up in their mess However, I believe "birds of a feather flock together." It is ironic that when I first heard the mention of Larry Birkhead being gay , I laughed only because I stated to my husband when the whole ...more
Cheryl
Sep 21, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I've always considered Anna Nicole Smith quite a curious character so when this book crossed my path for free, I couldn't resist reading it. I am so happy I never paid a penny for this as it just comes across as an opportunist money-making scheme by someone who wanted in on the action.

The writing is so disjointed and the timeline jumps around massively that it's hard to keep track of what Cosby is trying to say. It's pretty clear she's making plenty of accusations though. All of them very basele
Sharon
Sep 20, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok
I had wanted to read this book for years, and went for it the other day at the library. Did I learn anything new? NO...maybe two things that I really did not know from all the news reporting after her death...Larry is gay and she was bisexual... What did I want to learn about Anna Nicole Smith and did not learn? Maybe more information about her childhood and growing up. There was a little information, maybe a chapter of the book, but not much. This book was simply a review (rehash) of everything ...more
Myra
Feb 23, 2008 Myra rated it it was ok
This was okay, but as with any book of this type, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Cosby does seem to nail some things directly on the head, but then she turns around and reports false information without having actually done the appropriate fact-checking. I will say this, though - it was far better than the other Anna Nicole Smith book that hit the shelves at that time (Train Wreck).
Violet
Mar 09, 2013 Violet rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Oh yes, I really did read this. Right after the book about the Korean War. I like to keep my brain guessing.

I was never a fan of Anna Nicole Smith, and I wasn't particularly upset or intrigued by her death, but I read this for the sake of it and it fulfilled pretty much everything it promised to fulfil.

That said, it wasn't particularly well-written, and I feel pretty confident that a fan of Smith would be able to read something more, and better, elsewhere.
Mark
Sep 02, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
Very straight forward and seemingly accurate account by a reporter familiar with Anna Nicole, of how Howard K. Stern murdered Danial Smith and Anna Nicole. Very sad and pathetic what a person can do when they take over your life. Howard was an abuser who isolated Anna from friends and family and kept her dependent on drugs. Very insightful and sad, a wasted life of an honestly very naive young woman and the love of her life, her son Danial.
Kelli
May 01, 2012 Kelli rated it it was ok
My friend told me to read this and It took me over a week to read do to losing lack of interest in reading it. Everything in the book could've been told in a 30min news segment on tv...which I think they did anyway. I guess if your wanting to know more about Anna's death and events leading up to it....this is the book for you.
Sara
Jan 24, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Very interesting book, detailing events of Anna's life. Although, this book may leave you with more questions then answers, it is a great book to get your mind wandering. Some pieces of the "Anna" puzzle come together like a light bulb going off. I hope there is a follow up by someone who was personally closer to Anna, but NOT Howard K. Stearn - read the book to understand that comment!
Ali
Apr 27, 2014 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: can-t-put-down
A real page turner, this one. It tells the story of how shady and questionable the death of Anna Nicole Smith really was and the true motives of her manager, Howard. Anna Nicole Smith's life was a strange one, but her dependence on Howard and her death were even stranger events. This is definitely worth a read. Disregard the trashy vibe and dig in.
Vicki Krivak
Mar 07, 2011 Vicki Krivak rated it it was ok
This was an OK book, I wasn't thrilled with it. It was quick and easy to read. I really didn't learn
anything new from reading it, everything had already been covered by the media. I was glad when
I was finished with it and a few times I had to convince myself to keep reading it.
Jenn
Jan 28, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it
I had to add another book to my celebrity gossip obsession. I like Rita Cosby and she did a great job of drawing connections between Anna Nicole and her son's death. Exceptionally sad but a great look at how celebrity and drugs don't mix.
Leah
Apr 11, 2013 Leah added it
Shelves: 2013
I love true crime and I did overall like this book, however I just found the subject matter to be very disturbing. It was actually just a very sad story about the events leading up to Anna's death. The book was well written, easy to read and interesting.
Leslie
Oct 24, 2007 Leslie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: celebrity fans
Shelves: biosandmemoirs
A quick, easy read. The author alleges that Howard K. Stern was responsible for the deaths of Anna Nicole and her son. She also alleges that Stern and Larry Birkhead are/were gay lovers. The truth is stranger than fiction.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Anna Nicole Smith. But this book interested me because I'm into Hollywood gossip.

Howard Stern is a slimy dog. Larry Birkhead starts out being a hero, until he falls under Howard's spell and gets greedy.

Definitely a good read!
Heather
Feb 21, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
If you're into crime/mystery stuff you'll like this book.
If you watch CSI, Law & Order, etc., you'll like this book.
If you like reading about celebs, you'll like this book.
I liked this book.
April Sandmeyer
Nov 29, 2010 April Sandmeyer rated it it was amazing
I loved handling the NYC book launch party for Rita Cosby's Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death. Rita is such a great reporter and writer!
Liz
Nov 21, 2007 Liz rated it did not like it
I thought this book was a waste of time to read. I didn't learn anything new from it - everything had already been covered by the media. In my opinion don't waste your time.
Dee brown
Jul 08, 2013 Dee brown rated it really liked it
Even tho I'm not a huge Anna Nicole fan, this book really humanizes her. I feel so bad for her little girl.
Julianna
Nov 05, 2007 Julianna rated it it was ok
hmmmmm. Historical reading at it's best. Wanted to get this one read before it's pulled from the shelves??? The lawsuits made me wonder what's all the fuss.
Terrie Lewis
Sep 15, 2008 Terrie Lewis rated it it was amazing
Blonde Ambition is very well written, but tragic story about a sweet spirit who surrounded herself with the wrong people.
Amy Alice
May 13, 2013 Amy Alice rated it it was ok
I don't think most of the information in this book was credible, in fact it reeks of an unbelievable conspiracy theory. I am sure Rita Cosby made a lot of money on it, however!
Feb 15, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is a good read and I learned you cant believe every thing you hear and read about someones life.
Katrina Leach
Oct 23, 2007 Katrina Leach rated it liked it
If you watched this whole thing unfold on TV, then you pretty much know the story. It was an easy read and good "junk food for the brain".
Leah
Jun 24, 2009 Leah added it
Janice
May 22, 2011 Janice rated it it was ok
This book was really depressing. Also if you paid attention to anything said in the media about Anna Nicole Smith's death, this book doesn't offer anything past that.
  • Mr. Strangelove: A Biography of Peter Sellers
  • Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Frank: The Voice
  • The Journals of Spalding Gray
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • The House of Wittgenstein: A Family at War
  • Barack and Michelle: Portrait of an American Marriage
  • Operation Family Secrets: How a Mobster's Son and the FBI Brought Down Chicago's Murderous Crime Family
  • Pieces of My Heart: A Life
  • Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter
  • George, Being George: George Plimpton's Life as Told, Admired, Deplored, and Envied by 200 Friends, Relatives, Lovers, Acquaintances, Rivals--and a Few Unappreciative ...
  • Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Arrested Development and Philosophy: They′ve Made a Huge Mistake (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
  • Tough Without a Gun: The Life and Extraordinary Afterlife of Humphrey Bogart
  • Growing Up Laughing: My Story and the Story of Funny
  • Julia Child (Penguin Lives Biographies)