Start by marking “Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death” as Want to Read:
Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death

Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  48 reviews
You probably think you know all there is to know: Anna Nicole Smith lost her son. She accidentally overdosed. She was a drug addict.

You don't know a thing...

She was famous for being famous-Americana at its Scarlet Letter-wearing best. A bodacious young girl from Texas, Anna remade herself into the centrefold of the world. She was a "dumb blonde," a stripper, a Playboy Play...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blonde Ambition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blonde Ambition

Kara
This isn't going to win any awards, but it was an interesting look into the "third side of the story". In my opinion, Rita Cosby can't write for anything, but if you're interested in the scandal surrounding Anna Nicole's murder, it's worth a read. It took me about a week to get through, so it's quick. I'm not sure how much of this story I believe though...part of me wants to say it's too far fetched, but if there's one thing Anna Nicole taught us, it's that sometimes truth is stranger than ficti...more
Elise Swenson
Great book! Rita "shocking" Cosby's (MSNBC reporter) shocking account of Anna Nicole's shocking death. Objective, yet shocking, shockingly trashy. Wished I'd saved it for a shocking read at the beach. Highly recommended.
Cassandra Javier
First book I finished reading this 2014! yay! :)

This is the untold story of the events that led up to Anna Nicole Smith's death in 2007. As a Pop-Culture geek, and some sort of a fatalist, when I came across this book, I realized that I really had to buy it because I always like getting an inside look regarding these mysterious Hollywood Deaths.

Anna Nicole's death affected me in such a way that back then, it really opened up my mind to what drugs can do to someone. She was trying to get her lif...more
Marianne Jay
This story is very disturbing. Some of it I knew from news accounts, other parts came as a total shock.

The parallels between Marilyn Monroe and Anna Nicole are, quite frankly, creepy.

Both addicted to drugs, both surrounded themselves with toxic people who had agenda's, both were murdered (I believe that Marilyn was murdered and I do believe that Anna Nicole was murdered.)

It actually seems as if Marilyn was reincarnated into Anna Nicole Smith.

Rita Cosby makes some allegations in this book that I...more
Nicolle
This book was an excellent time line. I enjoyed reading the book because I felt it broke down for those of not involved in the immediate the events that took place. I believe that something took place out of the ordinary with this group of scum, I believe innocent people did get tangled up in their mess However, I believe "birds of a feather flock together." It is ironic that when I first heard the mention of Larry Birkhead being gay , I laughed only because I stated to my husband when the whole...more
Ali
A real page turner, this one. It tells the story of how shady and questionable the death of Anna Nicole Smith really was and the true motives of her manager, Howard. Anna Nicole Smith's life was a strange one, but her dependence on Howard and her death were even stranger events. This is definitely worth a read. Disregard the trashy vibe and dig in.
Sharon
I had wanted to read this book for years, and went for it the other day at the library. Did I learn anything new? NO...maybe two things that I really did not know from all the news reporting after her death...Larry is gay and she was bisexual... What did I want to learn about Anna Nicole Smith and did not learn? Maybe more information about her childhood and growing up. There was a little information, maybe a chapter of the book, but not much. This book was simply a review (rehash) of everything...more
Violet
Oh yes, I really did read this. Right after the book about the Korean War. I like to keep my brain guessing.

I was never a fan of Anna Nicole Smith, and I wasn't particularly upset or intrigued by her death, but I read this for the sake of it and it fulfilled pretty much everything it promised to fulfil.

That said, it wasn't particularly well-written, and I feel pretty confident that a fan of Smith would be able to read something more, and better, elsewhere.
Mark
Very straight forward and seemingly accurate account by a reporter familiar with Anna Nicole, of how Howard K. Stern murdered Danial Smith and Anna Nicole. Very sad and pathetic what a person can do when they take over your life. Howard was an abuser who isolated Anna from friends and family and kept her dependent on drugs. Very insightful and sad, a wasted life of an honestly very naive young woman and the love of her life, her son Danial.
Myra
This was okay, but as with any book of this type, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Cosby does seem to nail some things directly on the head, but then she turns around and reports false information without having actually done the appropriate fact-checking. I will say this, though - it was far better than the other Anna Nicole Smith book that hit the shelves at that time (Train Wreck).
Sara
Very interesting book, detailing events of Anna's life. Although, this book may leave you with more questions then answers, it is a great book to get your mind wandering. Some pieces of the "Anna" puzzle come together like a light bulb going off. I hope there is a follow up by someone who was personally closer to Anna, but NOT Howard K. Stearn - read the book to understand that comment!
Kelli
My friend told me to read this and It took me over a week to read do to losing lack of interest in reading it. Everything in the book could've been told in a 30min news segment on tv...which I think they did anyway. I guess if your wanting to know more about Anna's death and events leading up to it....this is the book for you.
Vicki Krivak
This was an OK book, I wasn't thrilled with it. It was quick and easy to read. I really didn't learn
anything new from reading it, everything had already been covered by the media. I was glad when
I was finished with it and a few times I had to convince myself to keep reading it.
Teena in Toronto
To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Anna Nicole Smith. But this book interested me because I'm into Hollywood gossip.

Howard Stern is a slimy dog. Larry Birkhead starts out being a hero, until he falls under Howard's spell and gets greedy.

Definitely a good read!
Leah
Apr 11, 2013 Leah added it
Shelves: 2013
I love true crime and I did overall like this book, however I just found the subject matter to be very disturbing. It was actually just a very sad story about the events leading up to Anna's death. The book was well written, easy to read and interesting.
Jenn
I had to add another book to my celebrity gossip obsession. I like Rita Cosby and she did a great job of drawing connections between Anna Nicole and her son's death. Exceptionally sad but a great look at how celebrity and drugs don't mix.
Leslie
Oct 29, 2007 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: celebrity fans
Shelves: biosandmemoirs
A quick, easy read. The author alleges that Howard K. Stern was responsible for the deaths of Anna Nicole and her son. She also alleges that Stern and Larry Birkhead are/were gay lovers. The truth is stranger than fiction.
Heather
If you're into crime/mystery stuff you'll like this book.
If you watch CSI, Law & Order, etc., you'll like this book.
If you like reading about celebs, you'll like this book.
I liked this book.
Amy Alice
I don't think most of the information in this book was credible, in fact it reeks of an unbelievable conspiracy theory. I am sure Rita Cosby made a lot of money on it, however!
Liz
I thought this book was a waste of time to read. I didn't learn anything new from it - everything had already been covered by the media. In my opinion don't waste your time.
April Sandmeyer
I loved handling the NYC book launch party for Rita Cosby's Blonde Ambition: The Untold Story Behind Anna Nicole Smith's Death. Rita is such a great reporter and writer!
Janice
This book was really depressing. Also if you paid attention to anything said in the media about Anna Nicole Smith's death, this book doesn't offer anything past that.
Julianna
hmmmmm. Historical reading at it's best. Wanted to get this one read before it's pulled from the shelves??? The lawsuits made me wonder what's all the fuss.
Yvonne
Not the most well written book I have read, but I was curious as to the circumstances surrounding the death of this tragic figure.
Katrina Leach
If you watched this whole thing unfold on TV, then you pretty much know the story. It was an easy read and good "junk food for the brain".
Terrie Lewis
Blonde Ambition is very well written, but tragic story about a sweet spirit who surrounded herself with the wrong people.
Leah
Jun 24, 2009 Leah added it
Naomi E
Not the greatest book ever (Rita Cosby's writing/ ghost writer could use some work) but was an entertaining read.
Marnie
Really gives you the background perspective on what went on in the end of her days. Quite the conspiracy
Dee brown
Even tho I'm not a huge Anna Nicole fan, this book really humanizes her. I feel so bad for her little girl.
  • Frank: The Voice
  • My Extraordinary Ordinary Life
  • Ron Jeremy: The Hardest (Working) Man in Showbiz
  • Dear Cary: My Life with Cary Grant
  • Arrested Development and Philosophy: They've Made a Huge Mistake
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Operation Family Secrets: How a Mobster's Son and the FBI Brought Down Chicago's Murderous Crime Family
Quiet Hero