Start by marking “Poison” as Want to Read:
Poison

Poison

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,655 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
Poison has always been a wilful, contrary girl, prone to being argumentative and stubborn. So when she discovers that her younger sister has been snatched by the phaeiries, she decides to seek out the Phaerie Lord herself to get her back. But finding him is not easy, and he's a little preoccupied when she does. Poison has stepped into a murderous world of intrigue, where t ...more
Published January 16th 2004 by Scholastic Point (first published 2003)

Sesana
Aug 27, 2015 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a strange and cool book. It starts out sounding like so many other fairy tales, with a younger sibling kidnapped by fairies. (In this book, Wooding calls them phaeries. I honestly don't think I can keep that up, so I'm not going to try.) Purely as a fairy story, it absolutely hits the mark. Wooding is drawing heavily from the concept of fairies as malevolent, and it works quite well. There's some excellently creepy imagery, particularly in the Bone Witch chapters.

About halfway through the b
Darci
Apr 26, 2010 Darci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is midnight and I just finished this book. Let me tell you, this book absolutely blew my mind. I don't think I have read any other teen book that had a story like this. The ending was deep and the imagery was powerful. Their was no faulty flitty love story to it like most teen books, but instead a rich imagination of strong people, troubles, questions, and answers. This is definitely something that I would read again - and I don't often reread books. It had its ups and downs, along with heavy ...more
Ali
May 03, 2008 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ali by: My Lit teacher
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly good book. I have never read a book by Chris Wooding before, and although I had to slog through the first chapter, the book really picked up pace from that point on.

Poison lives in a swamp with her step-mother, father and baby sister. Poison is an outcast, she can never understand why the people of the swamp village put up with living the way they do, she can't understand why someone doesn't change things. When Poison's sister is stolen by the Phaeries it is the last stra
Bibliophile
A wonderful quest novel with a female heroine who does not *GASP* have any romantic entanglements, but who does encounter several bone-chilling antagonists (it's a toss-up between the Bone Witch and the Spider Queen for Most Terrifying Character Ever Encountered by Me in a Young Adult Novel) and makes deep and lasting friendships. And for bibliophiles like me, Poison is also a book about books and stories and the importance of writing our own. I first read this 10 years ago (as an adult) and am ...more
Athena
Jan 03, 2016 Athena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy & fairy tale readers
One of those fine YA books appeal at both youth and adult levels, Poison follows the titular character on, of course, her quest. Smart, self-aware, cranky and perverse, she's Not Your Typical YA Heroine. The appropriately self-named Poison finds unlikely and unlooked-for friendships along the creepy road she sets herself to travel, is smart enough to be frightened when any marginally intelligent creature would be and remains herself as she does a bit of growing up along the way. There are no s ...more
Jackie
Dec 19, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much!!!!
C.R. Sedore
Chris Wooding brings a whole other earth to our subconscious. He writes a detailed world where humans are scarce and Faeries rule most of our realm. Then Chis added a place for an adventure to begin in a few different realms besides the faerie realm. This adventure fantasy had everything you needed and a fantastic twist I'm sure no one can foreshadow. There are rise and falling of action and a wild climax. The ending fits perfectly.

I found he fluffed the conversation between poison and Myrrk to
Victoria Hooper
Poison, by Chris Wooding, is the story of a sixteen year old girl called Poison whose sister is stolen by phaeries. Poison, unwilling to accept her sister’s disappearance or the changeling left in her place, sets out to find the Phaerie Lord and demand her sister’s return. Poison soon finds herself pitted against weird and terrifying fairytale creatures. When she faces the mysterious figure of the Hierophant, the most powerful of the Lords, she finds herself in a fight to control her own fate, a ...more
Wizard
Jun 20, 2012 Wizard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is probably my favorite book ever. I did an English project on it one time and even learned a new a wonderful word. Because of my love for this book I now try to incorporate "phantasmagorical" into everything i can keeping it in context. Just about everything about this book was lovable. She was very easy to relate to, and as she journeyed(possibly because i read it so many times but) I feel as if i can sense her fear, excitement, misery, and peculiarity.

This book is phenomenal the charac
Elizabeth
So not my cup of tea. The writing was not bad but it was written for an age group of I'd say 8-12. The writing is more along the lines of a classic fairy tale and not really a great one. The books was really very predictable.
Sarah Key
Jul 11, 2014 Sarah Key rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-or-before
This book wasn't predictable at all. As a matter of fact, the author told you everything in the story as he wrote. You never had to predict anything, he laid it all out for you on the pages. Uninteresting.
Paula  from Reading Lark
This is high fantasy; don't pick this up if you don't like to read about other worlds, fantastical creatures and the like.
It's been a while since I've found a book that's as quotable as this one: "Some of us are born in the right place, and some of us have to go look for it."
". . .life was a precarious thing, and the only truly solid ground was that which you built yourself."
"Books are dangerous things sometimes, Poison. . .they feed your imagination."

Poison is a young girl from an isolated vill
Midstar
Oct 03, 2012 Midstar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! In ways that I don't have time right now to explain, but I just wanted to get it out there READ THIS BOOK.
***
Okay, here we go. When I started out this book, I thought "why me?" In the tiny list of books we were allowed to read for my English class, Poison was the only fantasy one there while the others were Grapes of Wrath and such that I was not yet prepared to delve into. So, I thought it would be a better choice than anything else. As I began the book I was thoroughly disappointed.

I
Blaine
May 11, 2010 Blaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, metafiction
Woah, this is amazing! This is one of the best written, most enjoyable, most captivating, and coolest books I've ever read. It's one of those books where not only is it fun to read, it feels good to read. There's something fulfilling about reading this book.
One of my favorite parts of this book was how Wooding wrote it. He used such exquisite detail, so that I could picture it perfectly. Yet, the descriptions never got boring. My favorite part about reading this book was imagining it. I loved i
Elevetha
When Poison's younger sister is kidnapped by the Phaeries and a changeling left in her place, Poison sets out to find the Phaerie Lord, Aelthar, and rescue her sister, Azalea. Things aren't quite as simple as Poison might hope but she does have the help of a few friends. Loved Bram (he was so sweet), Myrrk was funny, however little he was in the book, I ended up liking Fleet, and Andersen!! He was awesome. Can I has one of him? Aelthar is tricksy cruel and has no love for humans. Poison realizes ...more
Michaela Osiecki
Chris Wooding has done it again! This is the third novel of his that I've read and I adored it. His writing style borders on snarky fairy-tale narration, which is perfect for the content of his work.

As a character, I really connected with Poison. She's a lot like I was as a teen, miserable and longing for something greater. Her ragtag group of companions seemed right up my alley too - gruff but lovable Bram, cheerful Peppercorn, and of course Anderson the cat. I mean, who doesn't want a super sm
Lyndsey Sobieralski
Dec 10, 2015 Lyndsey Sobieralski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is one of the best books I've ever read and the first in awhile that is not part of a series. The main character, Poison, is headstrong, resourceful, and really fun to read about. I love her overall attitude as well. The world that this book is set in is...a little complicated but not in a bad way. The setting of the world is very...grand in an almost awe-inspiring way. The story starts a little slow but picks up really fast. All of the other main characters including Bram, Peppercorn, and ...more
Miss Clark
Dec 14, 2010 Miss Clark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Clark by: Grace
Amanda Mccarther
Nov 21, 2014 Amanda Mccarther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, entertaining read! Love anything new when it comes to fairy tales and this book didn't disappoint. Good pacing, great character development, and poses some really interesting thoughts about the concepts of writing and creation and imagination. I did (correctly) guess some of the plot twists but it didn't lesson my reading experience at all. A fun weekend or beach read for adults and kids alike!
Cherylann
Mar 24, 2013 Cherylann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Poison starts out as a typical "quest" tale. Poison's sister Azalea is taken by phaeries and a changeling is left in Azalea's place. Poison sets out to get her sister back. And I was bored. I'll be honest, the first 100+ pages of this book bored me. Quests are a dime a dozen in middle-grades and YA novels. I wanted something that set Poison apart from other books. And then Poison entered the realm of the Phaeries. The last 100+ pages were full of action, adventure, and intrigue, and this typical ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Dec 14, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, youngadult
Poison is on a mission, a mission to rescue her sister, stolen by fairies. Or faeries. Phaeries. Whatever. I loved how ornery Poison is, determined to get her sister back no matter what obstacles she is faced with - long journeys, scary witch houses, metafiction, she is more than equal to them all.
However, I'm not sure I am. The ending had me throwing the book across the room in disgust. I don't want to be ripped out of the narrative. Can someone tell me what the point is? How does this ending
Stephanie
Oct 20, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-1-12
Poison is a girl who grew up in a swamp called Gull. With violet eyes and a rebellious personality, Poison has never been a favorite of her village. But what she loves more than anything else is her baby sister. So when her sister is stolen by the phaeries, she feels she has no choice but to go after the Phaerie Lord himself to get her back. But just getting to him is more dangerous than she could have ever expected, and that's only half the challenges she will have to face. Meeting a wide range ...more
Lisa
Aug 29, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A dark fantasy about a girl who takes on the name Poison to spite her stepmother. When her baby sister is taken by phaeries, she sets out on a journey to get her back, only to begin an adventure she never could have imagined. I really enjoyed this book, and although it had some very creepy parts, I loved the strong main character, as well as her growth throughout the story. It was very well written and creative, as well as clean - which is sometimes rare in YA books.
Kira Simion
Oct 09, 2015 Kira Simion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now THIS was one unique story. If I can remember ever vivid detail (not literally) then you know you did something right. Though I read this about what, 2-3 years ago. So bear with me, I may be a tad bit forgetful.

I don't know how I feel. It's like mixing two of your favorite things and wondering how the amalgam will turn out.

1 star for the characters. I want more! I really liked the characters but, I'm not quite sure of the names. Hmmm.... May have to go back and read again.

1 star for the world
Cena Keegan
A Very good book, though I wasn't too impressed. So thing's were too much like other stories I had read. Though some part's were WOW. It's A younger reading level then I would like, I knew the end of the book when I got into chapter 3 or 4. So that was disappointing. The book is a good read for when you just want to relax.
Jaime
Nov 10, 2014 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely adore this book. The plot is well thought out and structured, and like all of Wooding's books, the writing is substantial. I highly suggest reading it, if you like fantasy/adventure stories.
Sam Blizzard
Jan 08, 2013 Sam Blizzard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, read-in-2013

I thought this was really original and engrossing. It's definitely different from any other young adult book, but in a really good way.
Charlie
Nov 09, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-grade readers, fantasylovers
Poison's sister has been taken by the mean-spirited faeries to be brought to the phaerie lord. Poison sets out to look for her sister. She goes on a quest to the phaerie lord, but this isn't easy.

Review

Middle-grade fantasy/kind of fairytale book. It's really good. Didn't expect to like this book as much as I did.

The Dutch cover is beautiful. It's what has driven me to pick this one up.

The characters definitely all have their own character. Poison had a realistic personality. She made selfish d
Megaball
Nov 26, 2010 Megaball rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This started out very strong, which is what I've come to expect from Chris Wooding. I loved the character of Poison, her unconventional relationship with Bram, the eerie set pieces, and the unusual fantasy setting.

Sadly, aside from a memorable sequence involving the queen of the spider realm - who is probably the darkest and most striking character I've ever encountered in juvenile fiction - the book pretty much lost it for me once Poison left her own world and went questing in the realm of Faer
Any books similar? 4 35 Dec 31, 2011 08:39PM
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
  • Now You See It . . .
  • Changeling (Changeling, #1)
  • The Goblin Wood (Goblin Wood, #1)
  • The Dark Flight Down (Book of Dead Days, #2)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1)
  • Jasmyn
  • The Hidden World
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Bizenghast, Volume 3 (Bizenghast, #3)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
  • Silver World (Silver Sequence, #3)
  • Aurelie: A Faerie Tale
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-two, Chris has written sixteen b
More about Chris Wooding...

“Some of us are born in the right place, and some of us have to go look for it.” 96 likes
“The books were legends and tales, stories from all over the Realm. These she had devoured voraciously – so voraciously, in fact, that she started to become fatigued by them. It was possible to have too much of a good thing, she reflected.
“They’re all the same,” she complained to Fleet one night. “The soldier rescues the maiden and they fall in love. The fool outwits the wicked king. There are always three brothers or sisters, and it’s always the youngest who succeeds after the first two fail. Always be kind to beggars, for they always have a secret; never trust a unicorn. If you answer somebody’s riddle they always either kill themselves or have to do what you say. They’re all the same, and they’re all ridiculous! That isn’t what life is like!”
Fleet had nodded sagely and puffed on his hookah. “Well, of course that’s not what life is like. Except the bit about unicorns – they’ll eat your guts as soon as look at you. those things in there” – he tapped the book she was carrying – “they’re simple stories. Real life is a story, too, only much more complicated. It’s still got a beginning, a middle, and an end. Everyone follows the same rules, you know. . . It’s just that there are more of them. Everyone has chapters and cliffhangers. Everyone has their journey to make. Some go far and wide and come back empty-handed; some don’t go anywhere and their journey makes them richest of all. Some tales have a moral and some don’t make any sense. Some will make you laugh, others make you cry. The world is a library, young Poison, and you’ll never get to read the same book twice.”
53 likes