Start by marking “Mirrors and Magic (The Clockwork Republics #3)” as Want to Read:
Mirrors and Magic (The Clockwork Republics #3)

Mirrors and Magic (The Clockwork Republics #3)

A PRINCESS IN EXILE

Neve Bianchi has always lived in the shadow of the big top, haunted by the death of her father, famed magician The Magnificent Bianchi. But Neve has discovered something that may change not just her fate, but the destiny of Lang & Perrault's World Famous Circus.

Can she trust the charming Prince of Blades? Or will the wicked Queen of the Air win in t
Published July 2013

To ask other readers questions about Mirrors and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirrors and Magic

Andrea Judy
Jul 31, 2014 Andrea Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neve is trying to hold together the circus her father always loved, but wicked things are afoot all around her. When Neve finally makes the leap to save the circus from financial ruin she steps right into a battle for the spotlight. After someone makes an attempt on her life, she starts to question who to trust as she tries to save the circus, her father's legacy, and just maybe whatever feelings are growing between her and knife thrower Brendan.

As soon as I saw Steampunk circus, I was sold. Two
Masquerade Crew
Sep 21, 2013 Masquerade Crew rated it liked it
(2 REVIEWS)

MELISSA S'S REVIEW

3 STARS

MIRRORS AND MAGIC, Book #1 in The Clockwork Republics series by Katina French is a steam punk fantasy set in a world with an alternative history. The United States never became a republic. Instead, an assortment of small nations formed across North America, including the Republic of New Africa, located in what was once Nebraska. All technology is the result of a strange hybrid of magic and alchemy.

The story starts out with enormous promise as the heroine zips
Mati
Jul 02, 2014 Mati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Steampunk and fairy tales, what more could I ask for? Since these are two of my favorite things, mixing the two seemed like it could be either a hit or a miss. Thankfully, this one was a hit, even against my high expectations. In a world lush with mechanics, some magic, and a little romance, an old story tale came to life in a new way. While it still had a little room for improvement, Katina French managed to captur
K.M. Herkes
I found this book to be as light and chewy as caramel corn and twice as addictive. It's a triple play of fun: a coming-of-age story, and alternate history with a touch of magic, and a classic tale painted up in a fresh, delightful coat of steampunk styling.

The plot starts with action, weaves and dances through backstory as lightly as an acrobat, and makes a lovely shadow-play out of the necessary world-building. There is enough description to deftly evoke the look and feel of the places and peop
Chris
Aug 18, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
I thought this was a well written book. Since it's based on Snow White you have to read into a lot of things that go on, such as the seven dwarfs. The rest of the Snow White characters were pretty easily found. I thought though that there could have been a bit more steam related parts of the book. All in all though it was a good read and kept my interest peaked.
Red Tash
A steampunk Snow White tale.

Really excellent world building by Katina French. You just want to get lost in this world and explore--kind of how you feel when you read about Diagon Alley in the HP books.

If you love fairy tale reimaginings, I urge you to check this one out. You won't be sorry.

Highly original!

(My review is of the audiobook edition.)
Jay
May 31, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ebooks
An excellent Steampunk retelling of an old classic - Snow White!
Based around a world of clockwork and alchemy, and following the tale of poor Neve the daughter of a world class magician!
Karissa
Sep 08, 2014 Karissa rated it liked it
I got a copy of this audiobook from Audible.com, it was sent to me by the author to review. This was a decent steampunk fairytale retelling. It was basically a retelling of Snow White set in a steampunk circus in an alternate version of the US.

As mentioned above I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator was okay. Ironically she did a great job distinguishing between male voices (many female narrators have trouble with this) but all the female characters sounded the same. I had a very hard ti
Earicka
Apr 10, 2016 Earicka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-editions
•••I listened to the Audible Audio Edition of this book•••

Hollie Jackson brought each and every character to life vividly, but I have to say Neve was my favorite character! She grows from a scared little girl, afraid to lose her place with her adopted family, into a strong and vivacious woman at ease with herself and unafraid of anything or anyone :) The accents were truly amazing and the best I have heard so far from any voice actor on Audible! I can't wait to hear what she does next :)

The Prin
astaliegurec
Mar 31, 2014 astaliegurec rated it it was amazing
I actually read a Kindle version of this book that doesn't seem to exist any more. Sorry for putting this review here. Anyway, Katina French's "Mirrors and Magic" is a bit hard for me to review. On the plus side, her writing is excellent. She does a great job of doing an alternative take on Snow White in what is ostensibly a Steampunk universe (in a circus, no less). She's got good characters, excellent prose, and a total lack of fluff and filler. Technically, the only quibble I have with the ...more
Elaine
Jul 26, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Received from author for a honest review.

I was really surprised at how much I really enjoyed this book. It was faced paced, full of action and had a little romance thrown in.

I found this book to be well thought out and well written, there was not any needless information that did not help progress the storyline, it flowed nicely and kept me gripped from start to finish. I enjoyed the updated re-telling of Snow White and found it worked well with the setting the author created. The world created
Terri
Oct 03, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it
Mirror, Mirror On The Wall and the Circus (Audiobook)
Katina French again gives us a delightful retelling of a classic fairy tale. This time a steampunk version of Snow White using the setting of a down on its luck circus.

Lang & Perrault's World Famous Circus has gone steady downhill since the death of the Magnificent Bianchi despite the hard work of the owner Andrew Lang and Bianchi's daughter, Neve. That is until the fateful day when with the encouragement of Brendan, the Prince of Blades,
Catherine
Sep 19, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
I found this as a free read on Amazon and thought I'd give it a shot. This book was a fairly quick read. It was entertaining, but fairly predictable. It mirrored the classic tale of snow white. The author set a nice pace with enough action to keep you turning pages. I liked it, but would have preferred to read something completely original. It was a nice distraction for an afternoon.
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Deby Earl
Deby Earl rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Katina French
Jul 26, 2014 Katina French rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Catriona Laurie
Catriona Laurie rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
MJ Willoughby
MJ Willoughby rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Katina French
Aug 02, 2013 Katina French rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nick Sheehan
Nick Sheehan rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2014
John Hundley
John Hundley rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Lise Quintana
Lise Quintana rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2014
SootyF
SootyF marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Sara
Sara added it
Aug 28, 2013
France
France marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Leesa
Leesa marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kaela
Kaela marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Riley
Riley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Dolores French
Dolores French marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Heidi Garrett
Heidi Garrett marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Sep 09, 2014
Cheryl Medley
Cheryl Medley marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Emily Thibert
Emily Thibert marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
The Sword and Laser: Free for August: Steampunk Snow White at the Circus! 5 62 Aug 08, 2013 01:55PM
Bluegrass Hoosier living in southern Indiana, working in Louisville, Kentucky. My first fiction novel (a steampunk fairy tale) was published in 2013. Reader of pulpy fantastic tales. Lover of tasty beverages, including but not limited to coffee, tea and bourbon. Fan of soulful, old-timey music.

I believe in real things. But my definition of "real" is quite expansive.
More about Katina French...