Start by marking “The Invisible Palace: The True Story of a Journalist's Murder in Java” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Palace: The True Story of a Journalist's Murder in Java

The Invisible Palace: The True Story of a Journalist's Murder in Java

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
ONE AUGUST NIGHT IN 1996, on a rural highway in Java, an investigative journalist was beaten to death by unknown assailants. Two months later, police arrested a high-school drop-out and put him on trial for the reporter's murder. One problem: the accused killer had never met his alleged victim. Entwined in local rivalries, media intrigues, and the long-held beliefs of many ...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Equinox Publishing (first published August 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Palace

Tomi
The book is about the murder of a journalist in Jogja. The case has been considered as dark number since the real murderer have never been found. The police complicated the investigation as one officer threw out all the evidence left to the sea to seek for superstitious clues.

It's interesting how a foreign journalist like Jose Manuel Tesoro traced back the case and tried to open the case layer by layer. Tesoro was working for AsiaWeek and ow is working as lawyer in Washington DC.
Valencia
Since I'm an Indonesian and I know a bit history of my own country, the explanation about Yogyakarta, the history behind, and everything about it bore me. I just want to know about Fuad Muhammad Syafruddin. *selfish*

I don't blame Jose Manuel Tesoro though, guess this book isn't intended for Indonesian.
Jens
Sep 04, 2007 Jens rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interseted in How Indonesia worked and works
Shelves: historynovels
The Invisible palace is a book about the event around the murder of the Journalist Udin in jogyakarta, it is a thrilling book and yet it is sad to see how bad a land works when it is based on corruption and superstition.
Arnold
Not that well written the book was funded by The Ford Foundation. Fascinating confirmation of what many have suspected about the murder of Yogya journalist Fuad Muhammad Syafruddin in 1996
Retno Nindya
I love this book. Personally, this book didn't go with facts only but also with some folklore, myths and urban legends. Very very interesting.
Enrico
Oct 10, 2007 Enrico rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nuri and Jacqueline
A really good first book by my friend Joel, ex AsiaWeek correspondent, about the murder of Udin of Bernas. And the illustrations are by me...
Tine
Tine marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
John Allen
John Allen marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Jodi Arata
Jodi Arata marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Briana.n.jones
Briana.n.jones marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Elizabeth Orlan
Elizabeth Orlan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Shereensoliman
Shereensoliman marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Lany Arsi
Lany Arsi marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Astri Apriyani
Astri Apriyani is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2013
Arvia Sutandi
Arvia Sutandi marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Vio
Vio added it
Oct 30, 2012
Sydney Bender
Sydney Bender marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
nawir nawir
nawir nawir marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2011
Paolo Maligaya
Paolo Maligaya is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2011