Start by marking “Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)” as Want to Read:
Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)

Alchemy (Prophecy Breakers #1)

"Do you want me to be dangerous?" he asked, his voice husky and low.
I gulped, and for a moment I was incapable of speech. But he was quiet, waiting. "No. I don't."
"Then I'm not dangerous at all," he murmured. His gaze moved from my eyes to my mouth. "You've never been safer than you are at this moment." I shivered as his breath tickled my skin. Our lips were mere millimete
Published October 11th 2013 by Boekweg Books

To ask other readers questions about Alchemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alchemy

Nov 19, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
WOW! I loved every minute of this book, and I'm not just saying that because I was able to read a free demo copy (or whatever the technical term for that is). I was through it in two days, which included two very late nights. Now I can't wait for the next book!!

Believable, yet complicated, characters made this book a joy to read. Not one voice lacked in any way. In fact, switching between voices helped to heighten the suspense at times (although Juliette is my personal favorite).

Alchemy has th
Oct 30, 2014 Zarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
First of all, I loved this book. I loved the three distinct, but well matched, voices of Sam, Juliette and Ana. I loved the idea, the story and the pacing. I loved the way this book made me LAUGH out loud, feel angry and go a bt mushy at times.

(I REALLY feel that the blurb doesn't do it justice, even a little bit. It's a nice passage, sure, but it doesn't feel suitable as an example of the story. At all.)

The humour of this book is remarkable and I have highlighted and bookmarked SO many spots in
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Jan 27, 2014 Michelle (In Libris Veritas) rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Alchemy is a joint venture between three different authors, who each tackle one point of view throughout the story. I’ll admit to being a bit worried when I saw the three names at the top of the cover. I rarely read books with more than one author because I can usually tell when one person’s work ends and the other’s begins…in the case of Alchemy it turned out to be a plus.

Alchemy takes that normally pleasant magic boarding school idea and turns it on it’s head. Chebeague holds a ton of potentia
Kimber Wheaton
Jan 25, 2014 Kimber Wheaton rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the authors in exchange for an honest review.

Interesting thing about Alchemy...what I thought I'd dislike the most turned out to be the best part. This novel has three authors. The story is told from three different characters' POV, each author writing a different character. What I was worried would be incongruous, was in actuality intriguing. The three writing styles mesh so well, their voices so similar. I was pleasantly surprised.

This story follows three characters s
Shelly Hodson
Nov 21, 2013 Shelly Hodson rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. I loved that the main characters in the book are each written by different authors.
I received a copy of this book as free feedback from one of the authors. Thank you so much for sending it to me. I look forward to reading the other books in this series.
Meredith Mansfield
Sep 27, 2013 Meredith Mansfield rated it it was amazing
I got a chance to read this early. I loved it.

Such truly different characters thrown together in a very challenging environment, where they not only have to find a way to survive, but also figure out who they can trust and who the really bad guys are. I loved them all. And it's clear their adventures aren't over yet. :)

Can't wait to find out what they're up agains in Book 2.
Jan 22, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
The idea of multiple authors for one story really threw me for a loop, I won't deny that. How would it work? Would it feel disconnected and confusing? Would I find myself wondering who wrote what part? well... I still Wonder that.. I'm going to have to go ask the authors.. as for the rest. It worked wonderfully!

The story is told in 3 different POV's. Usually, I am not a fan of multiple POV's. If you read other reviews of mine with the same element you will find that usually I feel like the chara
Jan 20, 2014 Berenice rated it really liked it
At first I thought I would get dizzy and get my facts mixed up when I discovered there where 3 voices we follow as the story develops, but luckily each author brought to the table a unique personality with a narration that seemed to be enough to give each character its own but in a way that let the narration flow as you change from one character’s point of view into the next’s.
Although I had to admit that in the fast scenes I would get a little lost for a couple of lines, but luckily the charac
Nov 30, 2013 Clara rated it really liked it
Shelves: maine
So, Alchemy is the first of a new series written by three very talented women. Each author took one main character, and wrote those chapters. It gave the characters distinctive voices.

The reality in this book is kind of gritty. In parts of the book, I wasn't sure what was true and what wasn't. Frankly, I love that. I enjoy going back and trying to figure out exactly what was happening for any particular person, especially if they appear to be different from how they have been acting. The fact t
Lindsey Winsemius
Aug 20, 2014 Lindsey Winsemius rated it it was amazing
All three authors have a fantastic voice. I enjoyed the writing style, which was humorous yet flirted with deeper emotions. Each character was well-developed and likable. While the content was more suited for a young adult, I was highly entertained throughout and it could certainly appeal to more mature readers. It did remind me of the X-men series, but with an interesting twist (and humorous allusions to the popular series).

Normally I don't care for the "journal entry" book, as it seems to be t
Jan 22, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

This world of magic is different than any other I’ve read about before. Someone is infected with magic, gets crazy for a while, and then ends up with powers. Anyone who is infected is considered an outcast.

I like how Alchemy is in journal form and the reader can follow what each character is thinking by reading those journals. The main characters are unique, they each bring a different point of view, and I liked all three of them.

This stor
Mar 23, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I think this is the only book that I've read that was written by three authors. And it really worked. Each author wrote the diary of one of the main characters. I liked how this really gave the characters different voices. The world building was well done - it was really interesting to think of magic as a disease that you could catch. There was plenty of suspense driving the book and then the cliff-hanger at the end ensures that I'll be reading the next book when it comes out.
Dec 03, 2013 Suzi rated it it was amazing
I was nervous about reading this because one of the authors is a good friend. I'm so happy to say that I really enjoyed it! Each character was different and unique, and the plot left me questioning until the end. I can tell when I've enjoyed a book because I keep reading everything all the way to the end, author's notes, acknowledgements, etc.. I also keep thinking about the story and what I would do, how I would react. This book got me doing it all! I'm looking forward to the next one.
Jan 29, 2014 Dalene rated it it was amazing
First, I would like to thank the authors Sheena Boekweg, Sabrina West and Melanie Crouse for giving me this book for an honest review. I loved reading this story, at first I wasn't sure how it was going to go being written by three different authors, but they did great and meshed well together. The characters are very well written and the world building is very good. I look forward to reading more from these authors and more from of this series.
Jan 17, 2014 Cwdavenport rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is appropriate for all ages. It is a fun view with magic. I love that it is an infection. The characters are so great. I love that this is a book I can recommend to my nieces and nephews and won't be embarrassed to discuss it with them. I am really looking forward to the next book.
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Amanda rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Kelley J Sparks
Kelley J Sparks rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Melis rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Amy Stabins
Amy Stabins rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Rachel Star
Rachel Star rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Nicole Brown
Nicole Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Kim rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
linda houghtaling
linda houghtaling rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2015
C.M. Keller
C.M. Keller rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Kay rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
ech rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
yvonne gould
yvonne gould rated it did not like it
May 04, 2016
Melissa Holley
Melissa Holley rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Alchemy is FREE 1-23-14 through 1-24-14. 1 4 Jan 23, 2014 11:59AM
Read the First Chapter... 1 7 Sep 26, 2013 09:42AM
Insomnia Book Club: Alchemy by Melanie Crouse 4 10 Sep 25, 2013 05:28PM
  • The Magick of Dark Root (Daughters of Dark Root, #2)
  • Descendants (The Descendants Saga, #1)
  • Winterborne (Universe Unbound, #1)
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle #1)
  • Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic, #1)
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Hayle Coven, #2)
  • Grim Tidings (Aisling Grimlock, #1)
  • Isla's Inheritance (Isla's Inheritance, #1)
  • Chasing Shadows (Tala Prophecy, #2)
  • Blackwater (Redeemers, #1)
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #4)
  • DeadBorn
  • The Spirit of a Witch (The Briley Witch Chronicles #1)
  • Finding Meara (An Adven Realm Adventure, Vol. 1)
  • The Secret Trinity: Unearth (Fae-Witch, #1)
  • Modern Sorcery (Jonathan Shade, #1)
  • Phantoms In Philadelphia
Sheena Boekweg is a staff member at Flash Fiction Online. She has received an Honorable Mention in the Writers of the Future Contest, and The New Era Magazine accepted her work for publication. Look for her next novel, Alchemy, coming this October.

Sheena is a mom of three living in West Jordan, Utah.
To read more about Sheena and her writing, check out
More about Sheena Boekweg...

Prophecy Breakers (3 books)
  • Prophecy of the Six (Prophecy Breakers,#2)
  • Pyromancy (Prophecy Breakers, #3)