Start by marking “How to Read and Understand Shakespeare” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How to Read and Unders...

Marc C. Conner

How to Read and Understand Shakespeare

Shakespeare's works are among the greatest of humanity's cultural expressions and, as such, demand to be experienced and understood.

But, simply put, Shakespeare is difficult. His language and culture - those of Elizabethan England - are greatly different from our own, and his poetry, thick with metaphorical imagery and double meanings, can be hard to penetrate.

Yet the keys
Audiobook
Published July 8th 2013 by The Great Courses (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read and Understand Shakespeare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read and Understand Shakespeare

Brendan Monroe
Sep 15, 2016 Brendan Monroe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great guide to understanding the Bard! While this will be sure to reward even those uninitiated in Shakespeare, it helps to have at least a basic grasp of the plays covered in the course.
George Barker
Dec 29, 2015 George Barker rated it really liked it
I've never been a big Shakespeare person. I've always attributed that to an intellectual and/or cultural deficiency. So I took this (Great Courses) 24 lecture 12 hour course and I actually enjoyed it! Professor Conner's enthusiasm is infectious and motivating. The lectures are described as "innovative and penetrating" and I agree as I now have more understanding, insight and, most importantly, appreciation of Shakespeare's works. I highly recommend this course.
Kara
May 16, 2015 Kara rated it liked it
Very good. Dr. Conner goes over 12 plays in depth & talks about some of the others. Romeo & Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Twelveth Night, Measure for Measure, The Henriad or the tetralogy consisting of Richard II, Henry IV parts I & II & Henry V, The Tempest, Macbeth & Julius Caesar.
Monica Rice
Sep 14, 2016 Monica Rice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Professor Conner did an amazing job helping to unpack themes and contexts that undergird all of Shakespeare's plays. By choosing a core group of plays and focusing closely on them, I was also given tools to apply to all of the other plays as well. If you have an inclination to read Shakespeare at all, I highly recommend this lecture series. If you are well read in Shakespeare already, these lectures are still completely worth your time and attention as they will highlight new ideas or remind you ...more
Leila
Jul 20, 2014 Leila rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Marc C. Conner does a great job and I feel a lot more confident about my Shakespeare. My only problem, was once he had gone over most of the tools, in his last 4 lectures, it became repetitive. Most of the things he commented on I could've easily understood myself. Other than that, I highly recommend this if ever you are interested in understanding Shakespeare in a deeper, more intellectual way.
Leonard
Jan 11, 2016 Leonard rated it it was amazing
Even though I was an English major in college for several years, my exposure to Shakespeare was minimal. Listening to these college lectures is helping to fill that gap in my education, and I'm beginning to want to see more of his plays on stage, or the movie versions if the stage performance is not available. Now all I need to do is talk my grandson into watching them with me.
Mcgyver5
Jan 05, 2016 Mcgyver5 rated it it was amazing
rekindled a love for learning! kindled a new awe of Shakespeare. Kind of book I'm reminded of everywhere I look and every word I hear.

I'd recommend it to absolutely everyone. If you plan on studying more Shakespeare, this will give you lots of tools to help you understand more. If you have only a passing interest in the subject, this will fill you in.
Matthew Huff
Nov 05, 2015 Matthew Huff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a great lecture series with a lot of helpful insight and advice on reading his plays. I'm not sure how I feel about the "tool" device, but overall I enjoyed it immensely.
Paul Mannino
Paul Mannino rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Rohini Gupta
Rohini Gupta rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Kristin Plessinger
Kristin Plessinger rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Scott_flaxman
Scott_flaxman rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Walker (A Shropshire Girl)
Walker (A Shropshire Girl) rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Ben Gee
Ben Gee rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Greg Lico
Greg Lico rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Khaled H. Ahmed
Khaled H. Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Tegumai Bopsulai
Tegumai Bopsulai rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Jayne
Jayne rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Dr. Marc C. Conner is the Jo M. and James M. Ballengee Professor of English at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. Professor Conner earned his bachelor's degrees in English and philosophy at the University of Washington and his master's and doctoral degrees in English literature at Princeton University.
More about Marc C. Conner...