Start by marking “Night of the Assassin (Assassin, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Night of the Assassin (Assassin, #0.5)

Night of the Assassin (Assassin 0.5)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,670 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Librarian's Note: This is an alternate cover edition - ASIN: B006M5L5JC

Night of the Assassin is the second book in the Assassin series, and is the gritty, edge-of-your seat prequel to King of Swords. A no-holds-barred, breakneck-paced thriller, Night charts the early years of El Rey - known as the King of Swords - a super-assassin responsible for some of the world's most s
Kindle Edition
Published by Reprobatio Ltd (first published December 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Assassin

Ben Campbell
I tried to read this novel but couldn't, but that's not to say that other readers might enjoy reading Night of the Assassin. For me there was too much telling + explaining.

I want movement forward. This novel had that. If you can thrill me with invigorating plotting and adventurous characters then I'll read your story. Accost me and thrill me and I'll follow every word you write, every scintillating character you create and every brilliant plot you throw at me. Just dazzle me and I'll be your dev
Richard (Davros)
I got this off Amazon for free. I think it is like a drug-dealer giving away a free sample.

It had me from the the beginning, From the first kill, on the yacht, I was hooked. I am more into gruesome and macabre work. And the only reason I tried this was it was free. I am hooked. I read that someone thought his explanation of things was too lengthy, and detracted from the story. I disagree. Yes, I like it in your face, gritty, and the more gore the better. This, however, was more serene. He tried
Judy
This was a Twitter find, I'd never heard of Russell Blake before. So here's a shining example that readers will stumble upon your works with no help from a high priced publicist.

While I'm at it, I'll give a plug for his blog "How To Sell Loads of Books," http://russellblake.com/how-to-sell-l.... Something to bring the starry-eyed authors among us down to earth.

Probably the best advice any aspiring writer can get is to read a lot and write a lot and of course, become very good at writing. Blake h
Christy
Apr 11, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Russell Blake's reasoning behind writing this story about El Rey. He said it was to give a background into what made him who he was. The story was a great story and I enjoyed reading about his development into what he became. However, I still feel like I don't know WHY he decided, at the age of 16, that he would become the world's most prolific assassin. Clearly the Don was not his father, but where did he come from? A few unanswered questions for me but it was still a great read.

Amended
Nick Fields
Nov 07, 2015 Nick Fields rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sa
Jul 21, 2015 Sa rated it it was ok
This story has a huge hole in it.*SPOILER*.When Alamater's men come and attack Emilio and his family, Jasmine knew that her father was dead, so why didn't she run away and hide?She was old enough to know what those men were like.Why would she just stay there like a fool?Even children know when it's better to hide.The author made her stay so that the succeeding events would advance El Rey's career.But I have to say what she did was not plausible.
The
Apr 02, 2012 The rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Streamlined thriller

Another rollercoaster of a thriller from this author. It is a prequel of sorts to the "King of Swords" but you don't have to have read that book to enjoy this one.

It is episodic in structure and the various assassinations that are carried out are seem quite authentic ( Not that I have ever been a contract killer) and you don't need to suspend your disbelief too much.
It has an interesting setting, right in the heart of Mexican Cartel country

This book is well written and it is
George Gutowski
Oct 05, 2012 George Gutowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting insight into the feuding drug cartels in Mexico. A Mexican marine becomes a feared assassin commanding the highest prices for the toughest hits. Scene after scene this gun for hire takes out the top ranking cartel bosses. Every security system is foiled. Time and again psychopatic drug lords get their just desserts.

Readers will enjoy following the unique preparations the assassin makes to hit his mark. A few guys over at CIA should read this one. You know the guys who work for that grou
Jim A
Jun 10, 2012 Jim A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast paced and pretty well written book. Even the first half or so, which is all back story, moves along without getting bogged down. In addition to the back story of the character, El Rey, Blake gave me a pretty good education into the workings of the drug cartels in Mexico. Any time I can be entertained and learn something from a writer, I am a very happy reader.

This is my third Blake novel, Zero Sum, which I really enjoyed, being the first and The Voynich Cypher which I didn't reall
Marsha Cornelius
Feb 14, 2012 Marsha Cornelius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From a woman's point of view, I like the characters I follow to have some redeeming values, but from a realistic point of view, I understand that these barbarians in the drug cartels are ruthless. Blake does a thorough, if gut-wrenching job of showing just how far these peddlers will go as they traffic drugs to the U.S. And the book also illustrates what an overwhelming task the Mexican government has, trying to stop it. There is no happy ending in the drug wars.
William Brown
Jul 10, 2015 William Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Action Novella

This is a short novella penned by the author of King of Swords, the best selling action Assassin series by Russell Blake. He says he penned it as a prequel character study so his readers would better understand where his protagonist came from, and to interest new readers in the series. I enjoyed it. It's a quick read, and I might download King of Swords when my reading cue. empties out a bit more.
Carl
Nov 01, 2012 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great origin story. Well written and easy to read, just flows of the page.As good as any thriller on the market.
The Mexican settings and the Drug Cartel wars make a fantastic backdrop.
El Rey is a master assassin who wages war on the Cartels, for a remuneration of course!
The action is superbly written and I look forward to reading the authors other books in this series to see how El Rey is further fleshed out.
Top notch.
Amber
Dec 19, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fantastic read
Recommended to Amber by: a total genius
As usual, Russell Blake blows his readers out of the water with his new novel, Night of the Assassin, the prequel to King of Swords. Blake pushes the boundaries, gripping the reader with powerful imagery and epic storytelling. In Night, the reader gets to explore the life behind the madness of one of Blake's most terrifying charactures to date.

Blake's work just gets better with every novel published!
Len Cenotti
Feb 03, 2012 Len Cenotti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blake
I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time. I was up late into the early morning hours reading it because I hated to put it down. I've already downloaded The King of Swords and will start reading it as soon as I finish this review. Bottom line... I thoroughly enjoyed The Night of the Assassin and highly recommend it.
Terry Parrish
Jul 30, 2015 Terry Parrish rated it it was amazing
Definitely fast paced. Sad in parts of it, but the strangest thing is the age of El Rey. Seemed way too young to be so strong minded. And choosing a profession way beyond his years. Determined, for sure. Never really had a childhood to speak of. Always learning. Now on to the next one.
D.V. Berkom
Mar 15, 2012 D.V. Berkom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blake's writing is crisp and straight-forward in this prequel to the King of Swords. I think the book would have been more intriguing if I had read KoS. As it stands, it's an interesting look at the inner workings of an elite assassin in Mexico's drug cartel and it does its job well.

B.P. Crouse
Feb 05, 2012 B.P. Crouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tale that gives a glimpse of what happens when a person chooses to detach from all those human "weaknesses" like emotion and compassion and empathy. Business is business and excellence is the only thing that matters to the King.
David Donaghe
Feb 15, 2012 David Donaghe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Night of The Assassin to be an entertaining read. It takes you into the dark world of Mexico's drug cartels, A world filled with violence. Russel Blake weaves a good tale and does not pull any punches.
Kim Cano
Mar 14, 2016 Kim Cano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
I loved hearing about El Rey when he fell in love. He's probably the most fascinating bad guy I've ever read about. Even though he's a psycho he's endearing. I'm off to read more in the series.
Marie Solka
Jul 16, 2014 Marie Solka rated it it was amazing
Awesome prequel! Read this book after you read King of Swords, then continue with Revenge of the Assassin to find out what happens next!
A.M.
Jun 24, 2015 A.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
The King of Swords - named for the tarot card - is the best assassin in Mexico. El Rey is a feared professional in a world where money is no object and rivals are everywhere; he’s in high demand, but only because he is very, very good at what he does.
But how did he come to this life?
This is that story.
***
A small boy watches as his family is murdered. He is taken by Don Miguel to be his heir, and is raised and trained by Emilio. Five years later a ten year old is taught to be smart, strong and si
Dean C. Moore
Jan 29, 2015 Dean C. Moore rated it it was amazing
If you just read this book for content, it’s a solid four star assassin story that both meets and exceeds genre requirements. Great plotting and an engrossing lead character are offered up as table stakes. Plenty of action, and evidence that the author knows his stuff, from sniper rifles and ammo, to everything an assassin needs to know to get the job done in a way that convinces the reader the writer might actually have done a stint as a Special Forces operative once upon a time.

What made the s
Tamara!
Mar 28, 2014 Tamara! rated it really liked it
Never read any of the El Rey books, as well, not a genre I'm normally drawn to, but grabbed the free eReader version thinking I'd check it out and let my 'Other' know if I thought he'd like it as he's more of the manly spy vs spy or war type reader. I found myself enjoying more than expected. It didn't fill in many gaps about the character, since it never explains why at his tender young age he kills the Don and goes into a life of assassin, but I will assume that will all work itself out in fut ...more
Pat Byrnes
Jun 25, 2014 Pat Byrnes rated it really liked it
A very good intro to the Assassin Series by Mr. Blake. El Rey’s life started out hard and made him a trained killer in the Mexican drug world. After having his family die before his eyes at a young age, he was groomed to become the most sought after assassin in Mexico. El Rey did everything to boost his image to bigger and bigger paydays for his line of work.

I truly enjoyed the style and pace of the book. The story clipped along at a fast pace with no threads unaccounted for. With this being the
Raye
Feb 25, 2012 Raye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are well-developed, the places and settings are real. This is a story about how El Ray becomes the consummate assassin. There is a great deal of detail about his life, why he is the way he is.

But, other than that, there is no story. I enjoy learning why a person is the way they are, but there was really no story to read about. It would have been better if Mr. Blake had described something monumental in his life, some life-changing circumstance.

It is a book worth reading.
Sboysen
Feb 21, 2015 Sboysen rated it it was ok
It read like an automatic weapons brochure. Don't bother.
Jack_the_ginger
Mar 23, 2015 Jack_the_ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Night of the Assassin immediately caught my attention when I was reading its summary on iBooks. It seemed perfectly fitting to read a book about drugs and the cartel since I had recently finished the T.V. sensation, Breaking Bad. After I finished the series, I had a sort of craving for something drug related to read or watch on T.V. So reading about this book on iBooks, combined with the fact that it was free, caused me to start reading this "action-thriller" as described on iBooks.

Night of the
Leslie
Mar 14, 2012 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read this I knew it was a prequel and maybe that affected my expectations. It was ok. Good background if you have read King of Swords I expect.
Warren R.
Apr 27, 2015 Warren R. rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book early on. It's a story about how a young man comes to age as an assassin, who primarily kills drug lords and their henchmen. The character, EL Rey (the King of Swords), is nothing more than a person who likes to kill people for money. As I progressed through the book I found no reason to like him or even feel for him. The book is just story about how he tracks, plans, and executes his targets. Nothing more. Maybe I'm getting old because such stories would have appealed ...more
Kay Van Slyke
Would really give this one 3.5. Good prequel to the King of Swords.
  • Plaza: An Archaeological Thriller
  • Pandora's Succession
  • White Jade (The Project, #1)
  • Seven Days From Sunday (MP-5 CIA Thriller, #1)
  • Black Coke
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • Foreign Deceit (David Wolf #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Black Flagged (Black Flagged #1)
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders
  • Past Imperfect
  • Night Tide (Blake Sanders #2)
  • Uncaged
  • Power in the Blood (John Jordan Mystery #1)
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Gray Justice (Tom Gray, #1)

Assassin (6 books)
  • King of Swords (Assassin #1)
  • Revenge of the Assassin (Assassin, #2)
  • Return of the Assassin (Assassin, #3)
  • Blood of the Assassin (Assassin, #4)
  • Requiem for the Assassin (Assassin, #5)
  • Rage of the Assassin (Assassin, #6)

“Experience: Mistakes you have survived.” 17 likes
“of Swords to bed, I couldn’t shake the sense of unfinished business. I’d go to sleep and have vivid dreams, and they were always the same – about the characters in my book. Specifically, they were about the assassin’s past. It was like a disease. I couldn’t stop thinking about him. That’s unfamiliar to me, for the most part. I had the same general sense when I got done with Al, from The Geronimo Breach, but I had no compulsion to write another book about him, fascinating as his character is. I felt closure at the end of that work.” 0 likes