Start by marking “Guns for the Dead (Graveminder, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
Guns for the Dead (Graveminder, #1.6)

Guns for the Dead (Graveminder)

The worst part isn’t being dead, but finding a job. Francis Lee Lemons wakes up in the land of the dead, unemployed and bored. As a criminal in his life in modern America, he figured that the best plan in his afterlife is to stick to what he knows. But getting in with the local crime syndicate—run by an 1800s gunslinger, Alicia—isn’t that easy.

Also found in Ellen Datlow's
Published January 7th 2014 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Guns for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guns for the Dead

Morgan
I really wish she'd revisit this world.

Graveminder was just so goooood.

This was a really good little taste of more, but it was short and I'm needy. haha.

Naoms
Jan 28, 2015 Naoms rated it really liked it
This one I liked a lot! I just want more!
Faye
Aug 17, 2016 Faye rated it really liked it
Guns for the Dead is a short story in the Graveminder series, and should ideally be read after Graveminder otherwise it won't make a lot of sense. It follows a man named Frankie Lee who has died and gone to the land of the dead where he meets Alicia. We know from Graveminder that Alicia is a former graveminder and that she has a love/hate relationship with Charles; the powerful figure who runs the land of the dead.

This short story is very short indeed; it finishes at 38% on my Kindle and the re
Mel
Oct 15, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a HUGE fan of Melissa Marr's Graveminder and was beyond thrilled when Guns for the Dead was released as a standalone short. I hate buying anthologies for 1 or 2 shorts so I put off buying Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy. Now I don't have to buy it. Squee!

Getting to dive back into the city of the dead and seeing Alicia again was a treat, even if Guns for the Dead was only around 20 pages long. Better short than nothing if you ask me and while short, Guns for the Dead was chock full of awe
Reign Warner [He is The Last Word]
Alicia was a darling and a boss Frankie Lee can ever respect with such grim-like assertiveness. Frankie Lee will have so much to ask for his afterlife now. A new life in the afterlife, yeah?

P. S. You can never use is for they are already dead people in the Land of the Living Dead. Well, who knows what crosses in between the afterlife and the death of their own lives in that world. That world over there ain't boring to drag around Graveminders and Undertakers.
Michelle
Jan 06, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kindle-books
The only bad thing that can be said about this story, is it just didn't last long enough... I adore Melissa Marr's writing style and love all of her books, this short story is no exception. I was excited to revisit the Land Of The Dead, even for just a short while in this adorable short from Graveminder. Guns for the dead is entertaining and enjoyable.
Tegan
May 19, 2014 Tegan rated it really liked it
I really liked this. It was nice to return to this world. I would be really happy with another FULL graveminder story. I felt like I was just back in to this amazing world I love, and yanked away too soon.
Karen
Jun 05, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this. This was just a taste, it was far too short. More, more, more please!!! Action, fantastic worlds, quirky characters. All the good stuff is here. Just not enough of it!
Penny Ramirez
As other reviewers have stated, I wish Marr would bring us another novel set in this universe. Graveminder was so powerful and memorable. This was a nice visit, but I want more!
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Graveminder was such a promising story that ended too abruptly for me... I enjoyed this little story...
Tera Slawson
Dec 31, 2015 Tera Slawson rated it liked it
Way too short!!!!! I loved Graveminder so much and have been waiting for a sequel, but this was way not enough. But a little is better than nothing.
Lexi
Jun 16, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it
I hope for another Graveminder story, but only if she actually gives the two main characters as much personality and intrigue as those in this short story.
STEPHANIE HUNT
STEPHANIE HUNT rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Bob
Bob rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2013
Don Corcoran
Don Corcoran rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Keri
Keri rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2014
Sarah rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2016
Echo Scar
Echo Scar rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Karina
Karina rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Megan Walstra
Megan Walstra rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2016
Jazmine
Jazmine rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Arriel Bromley
Arriel Bromley rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
CL BAILEY
CL BAILEY rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Amber Worthington
Amber Worthington rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Kara
Aug 08, 2013 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way too short! I want to know more!!
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Night Crawlers
  • Haunted Love
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
  • When We Join Jesus In Hell
  • Soul Screamers Volume Four (Soul Screamers, #0.4, 7, 7.5)
  • Wraith's Awakening (Para-Ops, #0.5)
  • The Line Unseen
  • Paging the Dead (A Family History Mystery, #01)
  • Beyond the Darkness (Offspring, #5)
  • A Witch's World of Magick: Expanding Your Practice with Techniques & Traditions from Diverse Cultures
  • Alice the Assassin (Malice in Wonderland #1)
  • Zero Tolerance
  • The Painted Darkness
  • Lost (Cinderella's Secret Diary, #1)
  • The Halloween Man
  • 11:15 The Making of a Halfling (Halflings, #0.5)
  • Paranoia (The Night Walkers, #2)
  • Follies
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or
More about Melissa Marr...

Graveminder (2 books)
  • Graveminder (Graveminder, #1)