Start by marking “The Dead God's Shadow” as Want to Read:
The Dead God's Shadow

The Dead God's Shadow (The Bastard Cadre #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  15 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Avril Ethanson has left Frake’s Peak and Lord Obdurin’s schemes behind. He hopes to find a member of his cadre at mysterious Lancity which was unaffected by the Cleansing. Unknown to Avril, there are forces waiting for him–Valan the Wolf and the Dead God’s priesthood–intent on using him and his connection to Lord Obdurin and Rhysin.

The Dead God’s Shadow is the third story
Published July 31st 2013 by Clockwork Samurai (first published July 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead God's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead God's Shadow

David Baird
Nov 14, 2016 David Baird rated it it was amazing
This is book 3 in The Bastard Cadre series and for me it's the best yet.

Yes I’m late to the party with this being released 3 years ago but these tales are absolute gems that need to be read.

We are back with Avril as he set outs from Frake’s Peak to get away from Lord Obdurin. I’m not sure Avril really knows what the plan is but he ends up heading towards Lancity where I can feel the connection of one of his cadre mates.

Lord Obdurin split Avril’s cadre up many years ago, the hope was to make the
Lise
Aug 04, 2013 Lise rated it really liked it
"The Bastard Cadre" serial just gets better and better. I think I am a sucker for the traditional Hero. I have to admit that I am a sucker for just about any type of character as long as they are well written.

One example of a well written character in "The Dead God’s Shadow" is the Death priest Avril has his gentle encounter with. Crazy or what? That is one dedicated priest. I don’t know if it is more fun to write about the “bad guys”, but in my head it must be. I cannot even say that the Death
Jack
Sep 09, 2013 Jack rated it really liked it
The Bastard Cadre really starts to soar with this third book. I've enjoyed the series a lot so far, but there's a vividness and urgency to "The Dead God's Shadow" that makes the story come alive in a whole new way. Carlon seems to have a stronger grasp on the core conflicts of the series and how to make us feel them more viscerally, and the numerous confrontations between the characters are charged in their austerity and confidence.

Taking Avril away from Peak City and out on his own adventure is
Susan
Aug 13, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
The dystopic world and adventure narrative continues to engage, though the theme eludes. Happy to see that Lee has picked up the threads and woven a tighter tale than book two, the worlds are believable AND we need more gadgets Lee!
An enjoyable read, despite my confusion over the story prgression.. what does Avril want? I have no idea. But nevertheless look forward to book 4! ;)
Avril's journey continues with all the twists and subplots, new characters enter the story, and older forgotten ones re
Eddie Jong
Nov 16, 2013 Eddie Jong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Avril's journey to find the rest of his cadre stays fascinating and well worth the read.

His discoveries peel away the layers of the society he is in slowly but surely, and makes for plenty of WTF moments :-)

Lee has his cliff hangers at the end of each book down to a fine art. I am always disappointed that the book is finished, and it leaves me wanting more.
Jim
Feb 11, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lee-carlon
I have thoroughly enjoyed this book along with the first 2 boos in this series and ee can count me in as a faithful follower. Pick the books up and start reading them and you too wil become a fan
Keith Keffer
Keith Keffer rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Garret
Garret rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Susan L Quinn
Susan L Quinn rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Anne Milne
Anne Milne rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Cheryn Tan
Cheryn Tan rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Karen Field
Karen Field rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Michael Katz
Michael Katz rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
N.E. White
Mar 02, 2014 N.E. White rated it liked it
A cliff hanger!? Not fair, not fair at all. Proper review to come later.
Misha Husnain Ali
Misha Husnain Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Florin
Florin marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Mark Grisham
Mark Grisham marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Teshai
Teshai marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Lee Carlon is the author of The Bastard Cadre, a futuristic epic fantasy story, featuring a host of science fiction and fantasy villains, anti-heroes, and heroines.
More about Lee Carlon...

The Bastard Cadre (4 books)
  • A God-Blasted Land