Start by marking “A Touch Of Daniel” as Want to Read:
A Touch Of Daniel

A Touch Of Daniel

The Brandon family inhabit an absurd world where the men say nothing if they can help it and the women carp endlessly to no avail. They live an exceptionally unexceptional lifes Daniel.
Published 1975 by Pan Books (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch Of Daniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch Of Daniel

Steve TK
Dec 13, 2013 Steve TK rated it it was amazing
Picked this up after watching the sitcom, I Didn't Know You Cared, based on the same characters, also written by Peter Tinniswood. The sitcom is an overlooked gem, a surreal cult classic which ran to four series. It took Amazon four months to locate the box set after I ordered it! The only reason I can see for it not being hailed as a great 70s sitcom on 'I love 1975' clip shows and the like is that it's so thoroughly northern, but that's actually a huge part of its charm. The book is darker, bu ...more
Jon
Nov 29, 2016 Jon rated it it was ok
The late Peter Tinniswood's first novel about the Brandon family is nothing like the BBC sitcom 'I Didn't Know You Cared' which was somewhat loosely based on it (by Tinniswood himself). And I'm not surprised. Carter Brandon's internal conversations with the baby Daniel, and the strange powers the child seems to have, are very surreal and strangely disturbing. The BBC would never have understood it (and I'm not sure I do, either). This part of the story is very much at odds with the rest, a comic ...more
Stephen Hayes
Jan 17, 2017 Stephen Hayes rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephen by: Val Hayes
I first read A touch of Daniel 45 years ago, quite soon after it was written, and only a few years after I had visited north-west England, where it is set. The story deals with the Brandon family, who live in a place that sounds like Oldham, Lancashire, where I once stayed with a college friend, Alan Cox. I had been reading other books set in the area, like Elidor, and so I found a kind of affinity and feel for the place.

A touch of Daniel above all gives a feel for the place and the people. It
Steven Kay
Oct 10, 2014 Steven Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: sheffield-novels
"Some good aspects but the best description I can give is that they are like butterscotch Angel Delight. On the first mouthful you think you quite like it, then after a few spoonfuls, you realise you actually don’t like it that much at all and find it rather unsubstantial. Ultimately it leaves you feeling a bit sick..."
Full review at: http://stevek1889.blogspot.co.uk/2014...
Tamara Taylor
Dec 12, 2015 Tamara Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I have no idea how this book is so hard to find and rarely mentioned. It is ridiculous in the best sense of the word. The humour is so dark, so wicked, so hilarious. It is wonderfully horrible. I snorted audibly on each page. I want to send a copy to all of the people I know who have the same wicked sense of humour but copies of this book are so hard to find. Read it and forgive yourself for laughing at all the irreverant humour.
John Mccafferty
Dec 16, 2012 John Mccafferty rated it it was amazing
A mostly unknown classic by the brilliant Peter Tinniswood.
A very funny yet dark comedy novel but so much more you will not read a more original book.
The 1st of four novels featuring the Brandon family set in the 1960's in Northern England and also featuring my favourite character in literature Uncle Mort.
Simon
Nov 25, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. He is still our best ever writer for radio, look out for his work on R4.

I cried openly when PT died I don't mind telling you. I might go for a little weep now...

S
Annalise
Annalise rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Matthew Taylor
Matthew Taylor rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2012
Chiffchaff Birdy
Chiffchaff Birdy rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Brian Wharry
Brian Wharry rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Leslie King
Leslie King rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2009
Mave Mcmahon
Mave Mcmahon rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Alan Moores
Alan Moores rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2012
Bettie☯
Ascoyne
Ascoyne rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2007
Debi Wearing
Debi Wearing rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Peter Pinkney
Peter Pinkney rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Andy Harper
Andy Harper rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Beth Hilton
Beth Hilton rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Kevin Marshall
Kevin Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Johnm
Johnm rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Michele Brenton
Michele Brenton rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Richard Towers
Richard Towers rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Chris Gledhill
Chris Gledhill rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013