A Touch Of Daniel

A Touch Of Daniel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Brandon family inhabit an absurd world where the men say nothing if they can help it and the women carp endlessly to no avail. They live an exceptionally unexceptional lifes Daniel.
Published 1975 by Pan Books (first published January 1st 1968)

Steve TK
Picked this up after watching the sitcom, I Didn't Know You Cared, based on the same characters, also written by Peter Tinniswood. The sitcom is an overlooked gem, a surreal cult classic which ran to four series. It took Amazon four months to locate the box set after I ordered it! The only reason I can see for it not being hailed as a great 70s sitcom on 'I love 1975' clip shows and the like is that it's so thoroughly northern, but that's actually a huge part of its charm. The book is darker, bu...more
John Mccafferty
A mostly unknown classic by the brilliant Peter Tinniswood.
A very funny yet dark comedy novel but so much more you will not read a more original book.
The 1st of four novels featuring the Brandon family set in the 1960's in Northern England and also featuring my favourite character in literature Uncle Mort.
Simon
This book changed my life. He is still our best ever writer for radio, look out for his work on R4.

I cried openly when PT died I don't mind telling you. I might go for a little weep now...

S
☯Bettie☯
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Chumley Pawkins
Chumley Pawkins marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
*Dino
*Dino marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Gemma Webb
Gemma Webb marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Michael Hsu
Michael Hsu marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Hazlit
Hazlit added it
Dec 19, 2013
Stan
Stan marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Edhoncho
Edhoncho marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I Didn't Know You Cared Tales from a Long Room Except You're A Bird Uncle Mort's North Country The Stirk of Stirk