Start by marking “Rush” as Want to Read:
Rush

Rush

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,382 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews
This new adult, male/male romance will capture the audience who fell in love with Nyrae Dawn's Games Trilogy.

For the love of the game.

Brandon Chase has always defined himself by one thing: football. Tough and athletic, he is a great college player who enjoys the hard hits and the sweaty grind of the gridiron. But when Brandon is injured, only one person can help him get ba
Published May 6th 2014 by Forever Yours

Christy
5 Stars!

photo c335700e-0ef8-4613-9c3a-0bcaa1a8237e_zps33f640f7.jpg
“How can loving someone be wrong?”

Nyrae Dawn is an author I absolutely adore. I love all her stuff. She has such a knack for writing from the male point of view. Last year when I heard she was writing an m/m book I was thrilled. I had high hopes and she didn’t let me down- this book was fantastic.

Rush is the story of two college guys, Brandon and Alec. Brandon and Alec have been friends for years, but they’ve both treaded the line of ‘more’. They care about each other, they’re attr
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
4.5--Coming Out--Stars!

Apparently this book is about characters that were introuduced in Four Summers, which I did not read. But now I kind of want to because I was thinking I would have liked to get more of Alec and Brandon's past relationship....when they first meet and fall in love.

However, I loved Alec and Brandon's story in Rush. It broke my heart what these two boys went through. To protect their feelings, their friends, their families. Sacrificing their own happiness for others.

Alec an
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Chicks with Dicks Alert!

The voices of the MCs were so interchangeable, I sort of got lost in this trite and forgettable story. There was a lot of push/pull, very little steam (this read very much like YA), and a lot of whining/self-flagellation on Brandon’s part.

I didn’t like Brand; I didn’t get what Alec saw in him. This was chit-lit disguised as M/M; these men acted like teenage girls, deliriously pining for one another and keeping their dicks hidden, just in case.

I’ve read these same themes
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

3 STARS

Well, after seeing so many of my friends love this, I became excited to read this and love it too. However, that was not the case for me. It wasn't completely bad for me, I did enjoy some parts but I did not love it. I found it a bit hard to like Brandon until he was finally doing something right. Then Alec became all weird, it was like they switched personalities. I didn't get it and they seemed too similar at times that you couldn't tell them apart.

I don't really have too much to say
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

How can loving someone be wrong?

Brandon and Alec have a bit of history. They're both in college but met several years ago during summer vacation at their family cabins. They shared summer after summer growing a strong friendship, playing football, secretly meeting in their private place in the woods. In time, both Brandon and Alec realized these feelings are stronger than simple guys hanging out. They're gay but both are firmly in the closet. Especially Brandon who has high hopes of making it i
Wendy Higgins
This book is full of raw emotion, and I'm so proud of Nyrae for writing it. Her passion shows on every page. I could feel the fear and frustration of Alec and Brandon, and that deep human desire to be accepted and treated fairly. Heartfelt and powerful. A beautiful love story.
<3 <3 <3
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
I was so wrong.

I don't typically read M/M stories. It's just not a genre that I've ever sought out, or had much interest in reading. I'm a woman, so obviously I felt as though I'd connect more with females in fiction. But I love Nyrae Dawn. I've read every single story she's published and I haven't found a single one that I could not connect with on so many levels. So I knew before going in that if there was an author who could connect me to a M/M storyline, it'd be her. I was so wrong about so
Kara
Apr 07, 2014 Kara rated it it was amazing
description

Kara's Review:
I love m/m books! A year ago - I am not sure I could have said that. ...but after reading a few - I am a follower now. The love with two men - well it can be HOT. and Sweet. and Real.

RUSH When Alec punch Brandon in the prologue I was hooked. I knew that this book was going to be the story I needed. Watching Brand and Alec through Ms Dawns eyes - it really put me in a place to feel compassion towards others. Everyone is fighting a battle we don't see...

We've talked about everyth

Karla
Jun 09, 2014 Karla rated it liked it

3 Stars! A shaky start, but ended on a good note.

I love this author! Love, love, love her, but this was not her best effort. I don't know if it was because this was her first foray into this genre, or if she was a little unclear about how to move the story forward, but the writing didn't flow as well as it normally does...or at least that's how it read for me, mostly in the first half. But, then somewhere along the way she found her footing and it was all good.

What I did enjoy, is that both the
Jolene Perry
Aug 14, 2013 Jolene Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readable, guy-pov
So fantastic.
I've been begging her to let me be her first reader for this book, and even in draft one I was smiling and swooning and tearing up.
There is so much to love here.
SO MUCH.

I love it when an author's passion for their characters' story comes through and it definitely did here.
Awesome story. Amazing characters.
Reanell Tisdale
May 06, 2014 Reanell Tisdale rated it really liked it
***ARC kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

This was the first book I've read by Nyrae Dawn and it won't be my last! I love M/M romance and this one did not disappoint! The build up of the characters was perfect, I fell a little harder for Alec than I did Brand though, there is just something I really liked about Alec.

Rush is a M/M romance where the two men are in love but haven't come out to many people so they hide their feelings. And we all know what h
GusUchiha
Estoy cansada de estas historias que pretenden ser profundas y tocarte una vena sensible porque los protagonistas son gays y termina siendo una mierda misogina y machista llena de estereotipos toxicos que perpetúan la desigualdad de genero. Rush es basicamente el tipico libro con personajes gays al estilo "soy tan macho que me gustan los hombres porque las mujeres son tan estupidas y blah blah blah" Cada vez que los personajes principales decían cosas como "yo no necesito que me defiendan porque ...more
Polly
May 07, 2014 Polly rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!! What a great book. I'm pretty much a fan girl for most anything Nyrae writes anyway, but when I heard she was branching into M/M I was a little weary. I had no reason to be. What a sweet ride that was. I loved both guys.

I definitely recommend for people who are just starting out in the M/M genre. It wasn't heavy on the steam, but it wasn't pure vanilla either.
Brenna
Apr 20, 2014 Brenna rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romantic, mm, sports
I am a big fan of Charade by Nyrae Dawn and when I found out she was writing an M/M romance, I was seriously excited.

Rush is Brandon and Alec’s story. They met when they were teenagers, spending several summers together and maintaining a friendship from a distance. Neither has come out and after years of keeping their feelings (and kissing) a secret, Brandon decides to end all contact with Alec and focus on his football career.
I slide my hand down to the back of his neck, fisting it there, an
Lynn
May 08, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, new-adult
This book is a spin off from Nyrae Dawn's Four Summers. After I read that book I contacted Nyrae in a message expressing my appreciation for her creation of gay characters that felt like real people instead of the cliched gay characters that often populate contemporary fiction. I have friends and family that are gay so this is something that is important to me. Alec and Brandon had an authenticity that is hard to find and I really appreciated her care in crafting them. When she let me know she w ...more
Stephanie*
Jul 06, 2014 Stephanie* rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I did enjoy this book. I'm giving it 4 stars because I feel like I was missing parts of the story. I didn't have the connection to the characters like I would have liked. This book felt like a sequel to a series and I just felt I was missing key parts throughout. Certain areas felt skimmed over, like the reader should have just known the history or background to the main characters and even the secondary characters.

After reading the book I did some investigative work and found out that the seco
BookLover
Apr 24, 2016 BookLover rated it it was amazing
Alec and Brandon… Sigh!

The whole time I was reading this book, I just wanted to wrap both of them up in a blanket and swaddle them. They were both so vulnerable and I wanted to protect them from all of the obstacles they had to face in order to be together.

This was a lovely story. My first Nyrae Dawn book and it won’t be my last. I love her style of writing. She had me drawn into Alec and Brandon’s story from the beginning and I devoured the book. Reading through other reviews, I see that there
Patrycja
May 11, 2014 Patrycja rated it really liked it
Review to follow.
Lindy
Jun 10, 2015 Lindy rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts:

Rush, by Nyrae Dawn, is the first M/M romance that I have ever read. I decided that I wanted to read this book for a few reasons. First off, I am a huge Nyrae Dawn fan, and have enjoyed every book that she has written. I follow Ms. Dawn, and was excited and intrigued, every time she would share her excitement for Rush, her favorite quotes, and teasers with her fans. Also, someone that is near and dear to my heart, recently came out to me, and I felt by reading this story, I would be
Angie Elle
Feb 21, 2016 Angie Elle rated it liked it

If I’m going to read contemporary romance, M/M is my genre of choice. Pair that with the fact that this was from Nyrae Dawn who wrote the Games trilogy (which I adored,) and it’s safe to say I went into Rush wanting so much to love it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t all I’d hoped it would be. It was high angst all the way through, which, when done well, can make for an excellent story. Here it was very repetitive and too much to take at times. I did like both Brandon and Alec, which makes sen
Bella
Apr 03, 2014 Bella rated it it was amazing
I was sooooooo excited to get approved for this arc on Netgalley. They usually deny me for all the good ones, but for whatever reason, I got approved!!! And just in time to cure me from a book hangover I had from my last read.

I met Alec and Brandon in Four Summers. Then she announced this spin off book and I'm so glad she did. Alec and Brandon needed to tell their story.

Rush gives us alternating POV between Alec and Brandon - LOVE THIS STYLE!!!

Nyrae's writing is amazing. She did such a good jo
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I loved this book, friends to lovers, young MM, a voyage of discovery for the both of them. This was more a YA MM which is a first for me. Fade to black scenes but the emotional punch behind them really hits you hard. Both of these boys have to come to terms with their feelings, both have to take that step of coming out to their family so that they can live the life that they dream of. Both have to evaluate their priorities and their dreams as love takes over.

It was a beautiful read and one tha
***Cheryl***
May 05, 2014 ***Cheryl*** rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed this story from Nyrae Dawn.

The story is about Brandon and Alec. Alec has never quite got over Brandon walking away from him last summer. So when Brandon has an accident and reaches out to Alec he can’t help but go to Brandon. Brandon decides to spend the summer with Alec. As they begin to spend time together they re-connect and realise that they belong together. However Alec has to think about how to come out to his parents and Brandon being a football player worries how his t
Elisabeth Staab
Sep 11, 2013 Elisabeth Staab rated it it was amazing
I adored this book and this couple. SO honored to have gotten to beta read this emotional journey between two college athletes struggling to come to terms with who they are to each other and to themselves. Definitely a must-read.
Katie(babs)
DNF 1/4 way through. Reads too much as a straight woman's fantasy of what two gay men would be like together. Written more as a straight romance geared to grab straight female readers into trying M/M romance.
Sarika Patkotwar
May 26, 2014 Sarika Patkotwar rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

I loved Nyrae Dawn's What a Boy Wants, What a Boy Needs and Measuring Up. Those are books I read when I was completely into Young Adult and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of them. I, however, no matter how big a fan of Nyrae's I became after that, didn't read any other books by the author. But once I got to know that her latest book, Rush, was a male/ male romance, I just knew I had to read it. And while I realised I missed out on Nyrae's simple and sweet writing, I didn't rea
May 05, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
It's been two days since I've finished Rush, and my heart is still fluttering and I have butterflies in my stomach. I can not shake this story out of my head, so much so, that I read it for a second time within 24 hours.

I honestly did not know what to expect from this book, but I had nothing to worry about as Ms. Dawn knocked another one out of the park. There is no one who can write from the male point of view better than she can. She is a master at creating angsty and emotionally charged stor
Vanessa
4 Accepting Stars!!

"Nothing I've ever had feels as right as you." - Brandon <---I think that's my favorite line from the entire book.

photo imagejpg1_zps7da73171.jpg

Wow..once again, beautiful! I have read a lot of M/M lately, but I feel like this book really did an exceptional job of showing how hard it can be to be a gay man in today's cruel society. Brandon and Alec fight to prove that it really is ok to love who you love.. Against society, family, and the sports world. So heartfelt and emotional. I teared up a coupl
  • Outing the Quarterback (Long Pass Chronicles, #1)
  • Not Just Friends
  • Man of the Match
  • Strong Side (Eastshore Tigers, #1)
  • Pinned (SSU Boys, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Mandate (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #2)
  • Saugatuck Summer (Saugatuck, #1)
  • Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • Starfish and Coffee
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
  • Trust the Focus (In Focus #1)
  • Collide (Blackcreek, #1)
  • Picks & Pucks
  • Catch My Breath
  • Six Ways from Sunday (Southern Scrimmage #1)
  • #Junkie (GearShark, #1)
  • Out in the Field
  • Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1)
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

More about Nyrae Dawn...

“Fuck the world. We don't need anyone else. Just this right here. Just us.” 0 likes
“That doesn't matter. How far from home you go means nothing. A person can run to the other side of the world but it doesn't mean shit if they're the same person when they get there as they were when they left. You might not have gone far from home but inside you've traveled a whole hell of a lot further than most people...farther than me.” 0 likes