Start by marking “Hummingbird” as Want to Read:
Hummingbird

Hummingbird

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Twelve-year-old March Anne Tanner’s life is tied to the simple rhythms and cycles of the watermelon farm in Jubilee, Georgia, that she has grown up on. Thanks to Grenna, her grandmother and surrogate mother, March Anne has learned everything she needs to know about seeds, vine pruning, and harvesting melons and pumpkins. And although Grenna has tried to teach March Anne ab ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Hummingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hummingbird

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Harmony for TeensReadToo.com

March Anne Tanner has grown up on a watermelon farm in Jubilee, Georgia, raised by her grandma, Grenna, and her father. She doesn't know too much about her ancestors, or rocks, or what to do when Grenna suffers from a heart attack.

The only thing she knows is watermelons. But she soon learns that not everything is expected and sometimes, those things you don't think matter, matter most.

Though you may think so from the summary and title, HUMMINGBIRD is not
Gwen the Librarian
Hummingbird is a beautfilly written, bittersweet coming of age story set in the South. The introduction alone is some of the best writing I've read in years.

March Anne lives on a watermelon farm with her grandma, dad, and brother. March Anne and her girlfriends have a secret club, change their names, and try to deal with pesky 7th grade boys. March Anne has a very special relationship with her grandmother, who's aging, and has to come to terms with her mother's death - something she's been ignor
Jackie
Chapter 9: “… how could I be named March when I was born in August? It just didn’t seem right to be born in one month and named for another… Now Augusta was a name I liked. It had some romance– some ummph, some mystery to it.” (70).
The Library Lady
It has its "aw shucks" moments. But overall it's well written and March Anne's voice rings true and clear. Funny and sad by turns, there's a lot going on here--and it works.
Laree
Really a very touching book.
Kimberly
This was such a sweet book. I wasn't expecting this YA fiction to elicit tears, but they came. And then they came some more with a post climactic addition that was a second little peak of the ending storyline.

This book is about a girl who lives on a watermelon farm. At 12 years old with a pesky 9 yr old brother, she is cared for by her Grenna, as her momma died when she was young. Her grandpap died a couple of years earlier, and then yet another close loved one becomes ill. A good book for worki
Kim
Gr 4-7-Twelve-year-old March Anne expects this summer to be like all others-spending time with her girlfriends, helping on the family's Georgia watermelon farm, and learning from her grandma, who has been raising March Anne and her brother since their mother died nine years ago. But in July, the girl's world is turned upside down when Grenna suffers a heart attack and is bedridden. March Anne valiantly tries to cook the dinners, but her misadventures only serve to highlight the void that her gra ...more
Hazel Buys
Jessie
Rain Misoa
Oct 17, 2014 Rain Misoa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Contemporary lovers and people who don't mind reading something sad.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
This was a quick sweet read. It has its sad moments but I think the message is something all kids should learn.

To read my full review, click here.
Renee Bush
This touching-but-never-maudlin tale of a young girl's arrival at coping is phenomenal, and really, astonishing, considering it is a first book. Though the main theme IS how the pre-adolescent copes with loss, it is a cheerful, encouraging, uplifting book, with other themes as well: friendship, family ties, honoring our elders, understanding shortcomings, just to name a few. I hope this author continues to write; I put this one up there with THE EVOLUTION OF CALPURNIA TATE, TO COME AND GO LIKE M ...more
Anisha Jain
Great book, but at the beginning it's kind of boring but yeah
Mrs. Foley
Catalog summary: "In spite of a busy life on the family pumpkin and watermelon farm in Jubilee, Georgia, twelve-year-old March Anne Tanner feels that something is missing, and when Grenna, the grandmother who has helped raise her since her mother died when she was three, also passes on, March Anne finds that she must act on her feelings of loss."

This is a very touching and beautifully written book. The main character is 12 and so some older students may not choose the book, but it does give grea
Rayda
This is a coming-of-age story about March Anne, a 12 year old girl in the south of Georgia. All she knows is watermelon growing. The story is very well written, and the dialogue and character development all rings very true. However, the fifth graders I know haven't been engaged by the book, and I think few have finished it. For an adult reader, though, it was a remarkable book, and the bittersweet ending was very touching.
Terri
I really enjoyed this book, but I question whether or not children will like it. I know the protagonist is 12, but I can't help feeling the audience is actually adult. I'm not sure young readers will understand March Anne's longings and musings. Much of the book is esoteric or ephemeral and may require an adult perspective. Maybe I'm not giving middle grade readers enough credit, so I welcome comments from others.

Samantha
I really enjoyed this book. It's the story of March Anne in quiet Jubilee Georgia. She lives on a watermelon farm with her father, brother and grandmother. She has two best friends and they form the Pseudonymphs. There's a "weird" boy nearby too. Everything seems to be normal and ordinary. Then Grenna, the grandmother, has a heart attack, and suddenly nothing is the same.
Sheri
I read Hummingbird as part of the Georgia Children's Book Award program and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were refreshing and the storyline was intriguing. I loved the southern touches and how the main character copes with the grief she experiences in her young life. I would definitely be interested in reading the next book from Kimberly Greene Angle.
Liana
May 16, 2014 Liana added it
i didnt like this too much.....
Rachel
Dec 22, 2008 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Her story was really touching. I easily related to some of the challenges she faces and I think others will too. The setting of Georgia was described well and very fitting. This was one of the best books I have ever read.
Chelsea
This was a good book a book i could c a teacher finding and having his/her class reading. well maube its been a while since i read it. not really but it was a good book over all
Eric Chow
Eloquently written story about the importance of living and accepting change.
Reading this was like entering someone's vivid dreams.
Miranda Cosgrove
this book is SUPER good. If you need a good book, this one is amazing! When I started reading it, i could not put it down!
Heather
What a sweet book. It reminded me of "Ida B." in a lot of ways. It was just cozy and exactly what I needed.
Hope
I didn't like this book very much. Flat. Not much excitment.
Lee Anne
A cute/thoughtful story about a 12 year old girl and her world.
Abigayle
Touching book about friends, family and....hummingbirds.
Celia
Jun 01, 2011 Celia marked it as wish-list
saw it at the library and it looked pretty good.
Taylor
I loved it but it was sad!!!! :(
Daria
This was just okay, not remarkable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Truth About My Bat Mitzvah
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • Moon Bridge
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • Franny Parker
  • Kindred Souls
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • Bird Lake Moon

“Grace is a gift. It's always a gift of love, but it usually comes in an unexpected way.” 3 likes
“That's how it is with work on a farm--you do the same thing over and over until you either burn up or your back will break.” 1 likes