Start by marking “The Manning Sisters (Manning Sisters, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Manning Sisters (Manning Sisters, #1-2)

The Manning Sisters (The Manning Sisters #1-2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  2,509 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
A beloved New York Times bestselling author takes readers to Montana in two classic tales about sisters Taylor and Christy Manning. The Cowboys Lady and The Sheriff Takes a Wife previously appeared in the Silhouette Special Edition series. Reissue.
Published January 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Manning Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manning Sisters

Suzie Quint
Jan 21, 2012 Suzie Quint rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
These stories are both updates of older versions and it shows. Not just in that there aren't any cell phones, but in the stories themselves as when the heroine keeps insisting that she can't love the hero, she can't, she can't, she can't but then does a 180 for no reason and admits that she does. That type of poor plotting/motivation worked at one time, but not anymore. Not for me.
Julianna
Mar 27, 2013 Julianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sweet Small-Town Romances
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars overall"
The Cowboy's Lady - The Cowboy's Lady was my first read by Debbie Macomber. I know that Ms. Macomber is a prolific writer who seems to be a romance fan favorite, and the impression of her writing that I had gotten over the years, made me think that I would really enjoy her books. Unfortunately, this initial foray into her work didn't do a whole lot for me. I think this is owing in large part to there not being much to the plot of the story and the cha
Heather
Jun 09, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
While I love Debbie Macomber, I wasn't thrilled with this book. Both stories were contrived and over before they even started. You could tell where the plot was headed within the first few pages. It was a nice fluff read, but not one of Macomber's best.
Christine
Jan 03, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
The Manning Sisters is 2 love stories in one book: The Cowboy's Lady and The Sheriff Takes a Wife.

In 'The Cowboy's Lady', we are introduced to Taylor Manning. Trying to heal from a difficult breakup, she moves from Seattle to a small town in Montana for a teaching position. Her first week there, she meets Russ, an attractive rancher with antiquated views on women. Although they are both opinionated and often at odds, they can't help their attraction to one another.

Picking up where 'The Cowboy'
Kay Smith
Jul 11, 2015 Kay Smith rated it it was amazing
Very cute girl meets boy, girl and boy fall inexplicably and immediately in love. Usually I like my characters to wrestle with the idea of love more--but this was beautifully written. Good descriptors, emotional drive and character connection.

Worth a pick-up, I don't have any complaints (well, other than spirit is spelled 'spirt' in the second installment of this book. Let's go editors, pick it up).
Judy
Feb 16, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Tried and tested City Girl - Cowboy romance. This is a first of a series featuring the Manning family. I liked that the book had entertaining moments (feminist vs male chauvinist disagreements, city life and country life advantages and disadvantages to having no premarital sex). A fast paced breather book, its still a nice chiclit that would make you believe in love at first sight (or hate)
Janice
Feb 07, 2009 Janice rated it it was ok
I didn't like this one as much as the other "Manning books" but come on, these are romance novels, so one can't expect too much from them. (FYI: If you are like me, the heroine in the 2nd story, will really annoy you.)
Esther
Jun 14, 2011 Esther rated it it was amazing
I oved it so much. The first story was my favourite. It was very cute and romantic. A quick read.
Judy
Aug 23, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book contained two of Macomber's earlier novels. While they were light enjoyable reading, the plots and dialogues seemed a little contrived at times. Not her best work.
Mary Hook
Jul 18, 2017 Mary Hook rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-vineyard
very predictable light reading
Michelle Rabinowitz
Jul 10, 2017 Michelle Rabinowitz rated it did not like it
Well....I guess I didn't realize it was a sort of tame romance novel. The story is too contrived and predictable. People fall in love in a few days?? Just not for me...
Dail Sams
May 15, 2017 Dail Sams rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Two sisters who are city slickers end up in small town Montana for different reasons and fall in love with country boys.
Jaclyn
Mar 03, 2017 Jaclyn rated it liked it
"The Cowboy's Lady" felt very dated, with its super alpha male hero and feisty-but-ultimately-capitulating heroine. I liked the story and the heroine, but Russ was too chauvinistic for me to really get into the romance. (He thinks a woman's place is in the home and while he eventually learns to compromise, I just don't quite get the appeal.) I also liked Mandy the little sister and how she found an ally in Taylor.

I liked "The Sheriff Takes a Wife" much better. Cody is a much gentler, more forwar
Pam
Mar 06, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
The Manning Sisters is actually two novels in one by Debbie Macomber. It contains Taylor’s story in The Cowboy’s Lady and Christy’s in The Sheriff Takes a Wife. Both books are easy to read and delightful.
In The Cowboy’s Lady, Taylor Manning takes a teaching job in Cougar Point, Montana not realizing just how different it is from Seattle. For one thing, no one takes credit cards and she is short on cash after traveling. Luckily for her, Russ Palmer tells the store clerk that she is the new schoo
Lynda
Jan 19, 2016 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Taylor and Christy Manning were in for a shock in Cougar Point Montana and for these two Seattle city women, falling in love was not on their minds until two handsome men changed their lives forever. Taylor, a schoolteacher met the obstinate cattle rancher Russ Palmer, a man whose ideas about women were decades old and she was the one to send this cowboy into contemporary time. Christy, a paralegal and newly engaged became unsettled when Sheriff Cody Franklin knocked her emotions for a loop.

Com
Doris
Aug 03, 2013 Doris rated it really liked it
Shelves: debbie-macomber
The introductory note by author Debbie Macomber warned that the Manning Sisters were to encounter the two most chauvinistic men possible. That in itself made me wonder whether I would actually enjoy reading the two stories contained in this book - however, I did not need to worry.
Yes, the men do come across as very opinionated as to what is a man's work and a woman's duty, but, as the story unfolds, the reasons become more and more clear. Also, both Manning women have their heads screwed on righ
SheLove2Read
May 10, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is a compilation of two related stories.

The first book is The Cowboy's Lady. It is "updated" for the current times but you still notice little things like no cell phones, the entire town not taking credit cards, no fast food joints...

Taylor Manning has moved to Montana in an attempt to get over a failed relationship that really hurt her emotionally. Maybe by taking a year in a small, nowhere town, where she can teach and focus on no one but herself, she can finally put the hurt behind. She
Sorcha
Feb 23, 2014 Sorcha added it
Shelves: romance, 2014

Two books in one, both originally published in the early 1990s.

The Cowboy's Lady

Taylor moves to a small town as their new teacher, hoping for a little peace and quiet as she mends her broken heart. It's all different to what she's used to as a city girl - they dont take Amex, there's no cell phones or pizza delivery service. Somehow she gets involved with a cowboy who reminds her too much of her father in his stubborn, male chauvinistic ways. Somehow they fall in love with each other, and end up
Romancing the Book
Apr 29, 2011 Romancing the Book rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Jen's Review:
This is a current re-release of two classic Macomber stories, ‘The Cowboy’s Lady’ and ‘The Sheriff Takes a Wife’. And since the stories are so closely related, I’ll just do one long synopsis.

Taylor moves to small town Montana to get over a failed relationship and vows to spend her year without a man. But soon rancher Russ is throwing that plan out the window. Taylor is determined to fight her feelings for Russ, but it’s a losing battle. So, jump ahead about 9 months and Taylor is ha
Jane
Sep 23, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"The only woman who interests me is you."--Russ Palmer, rancher

When Taylor Manning accepts a teaching job in Cougar Point, Montana, she discovers that life there is very different from life in Seattle. So are the men She soon notices a handsome, opinionated, stubborn rancher named Russ Palmer, and he notices her. In fact, they more than notice each other.... After only a few months, Taylor's certain of one thing. Despite their conflicting backgrounds, she'd love to be The Cowboy's Lady.

"I feel a
Toni
Jan 26, 2016 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-fiction
Two novels about the Manning sisters.
The Cowboy's Lady features schoolteacher, Taylor who accepted a teaching position in Montana to get away from a broken heart. Life in Montana is very different from Seattle. She meets Russ Apalmer, an opionated, stubborn rancher caring for his younger sister. They can never seem to agree on anything, but are attracted to each other.

The Sheriff takes a Wife has Christy Manning coming to help Taylor out when she has her baby. She has no time to prepare as Taylo
Marianne
Apr 16, 2011 Marianne rated it really liked it
The Manning Sisters is an omnibus of the first two novels by Debbie Macomber in the six-part Manning series. The first novel, The Cowboy’s Lady, has rancher Russ Palmer falling in love with the new teacher in town, city-girl Taylor Manning. Neither are convinced they are right for each other, although to everyone around them, it is quite plain to see. The second novel, The Sheriff Takes a Wife, has the sheriff (and Russ Palmer’s friend), Cody Franklin falling for Taylor’s sister Christy when she ...more
Rina
Aug 04, 2014 Rina rated it it was ok
a two story book, one about each sister. first one goes to Montana to teach in a small town and to get over a heartbreak. of course, within minutes she meets a cowboy and the attraction is mutual but she doesn't want to get involved. oh well, it's a romance, so she does. lust followed by love and marriage. the second sister comes to visit, secretly engaged to a boy back home. uh oh she meets the cowboy's brother and...repeat above. you can guess the rest as I did. but, if you like romances, this ...more
Ayny
Oct 09, 2013 Ayny rated it it was ok
2.5 Seattle WA teacher moves to Montana. I've enjoyed some western romance books. Although predictable, the are not not smutty.
As these are reprints from stories first written in the late 80's and early 90's so there isn't any technology to keep in touch constantly.
The Cowboy's Lady - first one was "cute", mostly chauvinist male characters, but not creeps. The second story, The Sheriff takes a Wife, was less impressive. I didn't finish reading the entire story, after the first few chapters. Sk
Meagan Godo
May 22, 2009 Meagan Godo rated it really liked it
If your looking for a quick read with romance this the a great book for that. I often like to read fantasy books but I like to mix it up sometimes and I picked this book up at flea market in Florida for a quick read for the ride back home. It was a good choice. It has two good romantic stories about two city sisters who fall in love with country boys. Sometimes the writing is a little cheesy but you can easily get past it.
Kim North
So I am actually embarrassed to say that I read this book. When I was a teen I used to read her romance novels because they were clean, and yet adult sappy romances. I found this book at the thrift store and picked it up to read. It was slow moving, it dragged, I just wasn't feeling it. Maybe you have to be in the mood and I just wasn't needless to say I don't think I'll be going down the Debbie Macomber path for awhile.
Karen
Jul 09, 2012 Karen added it
As usual, loved reading anything by Debbie Macomber. I like that she can use the reader's imagination in the romantic storyline without being vulgar. I love a lighthearted story in a world of heavy duty daily issues. Nice escape.
Not sure if I know of anyone that would have handled what James the Atty had to handle with such ease...seemed a bit too convenient - but in the storyline I'm sure it had to go that way.
P
Jan 25, 2014 P rated it it was ok
When Taylor Manning accepts a teaching job in Cougar Point, Montana, she discovers that life and the men there is very different from life in Seattle. She soon notices a handsome, opinionated, stubborn rancher named Russ Palmer. Despite their conflicting backgrounds, she'd love to be The Cowboy's Lady.
Mary Baker
This is a book with two novels in it. One is about Taylor Manning; the other is about Christy. Both novels were fast paced, but I liked Taylor's story first because it was more fun to read, The author developed this story more than the second and had more humorous events in it. Russ is a wonderful character in both books; a man to fall in love with. I enjoyed both novels. .
Mary
May 11, 2016 Mary rated it it was ok
I do not recommend this book to anyone who is a big fan of Debbie Macomb's work. The book summary made it out to be much more than it actually was. It was repetitive, lacked in any sort of character development and in a strong female lead. All in all, it was upsetting to read. Hopefully, I have better luck with Debbie Macomb's next book!
Happy Reading!
  • Turn My World Upside Down: Jo's Story
  • Teaming Up (Harlequin NASCAR, #26)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • Miss Liz's Passion: Miss Liz's Passion\Home on the Ranch
  • Honky Tonk Christmas (Honky Tonk, #4)
  • Christmas Weddings: His Christmas Eve Proposal / Snowbound Bride / Their Christmas Vows
  • Ex, Why, and Me
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #3.5 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • British Bad Boys
  • Desert Rogues Part 2
  • The Black Sheep and the Hidden Beauty (Unholy Trinity #2)
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • A Creed Country Christmas (Montana Creeds, #4)
  • The Irish Devil (Devil, #1)
  • Hearts Under Caution
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Old Enough to Know Better
  • Seven-Night Stand
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

The Manning Sisters (2 books)
  • The Cowboy's Lady
  • The Sheriff Takes a Wife (Manning Sisters, #2)