Start by marking “Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743” as Want to Read:
Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743

Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743 (The Royal Diaries)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,621 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Scholastic is proud to present the final installment of The Royal Diaries series. Drama and intrigue explode in the story of young Princess Catherine's incredible journey to greatness.

Fourteen-year-old Prussian princess Sophia finds herself entangled in her mother's efforts to arrange a marriage between Sophia and Charles-Peter, a young German duke and nephew of the Russia
Published April 1st 2006 by Scholastic

Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyEleanor by Kristiana Gregory
The Royal Diaries
9th out of 21 books — 248 voters
Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
30th out of 184 books — 140 voters

More lists with this book...

Katherine
description
”I will live to make myself not feared.”- Catherine the Great

3.5 out of 5 stars

Setting:Prussia and Russia; 1743-1745

Cover Thoughts?:I think the painting overall is beautiful (another lovely cover design by Tim O’Brien), but the dog looks terrified. Like “WTF is this chick making me come out here in the Russian snow” type terrified.

Plot:
”’My poor German princess,’ she said. ‘You’re as plain as a toad. Who will ever want to marry you?’”
Little Sophie of Prussia has been told over and over agai
Jinny (Lost-At-Sea Book Reviews)
When I was a kid, around ten or twelve years old, this was one of my absolute favourite book series. I adore books about princesses, real or fictional, and love learning about them. There's twenty books in this series, I own eight of them. I recently decided to re-read some of them, partly for nostalgic reasons, and partly because I'm kind of behind in my 100 books goal and would like to shamelessly bring that number up a bit, heh.

This book is about a little German princess who lived in Prussia,
mae xo
So this is going to be less of an individual review, and more of a whole series wide review of The Royal Diaries, which I know is weird, but it's easier then finding every book and basically leaving the same review.

Around 4th grade, I discovered mythology, specifically Greek & Egyptian. I was enthralled by the myths, and the history that surrounded them, and quickly found The Royal Diaries, Cleopatra edition, and I was hooked, beginning to spiral into the world of royalty and history, which
Yu-Jie
Dec 25, 2015 Yu-Jie rated it it was ok
I am reasonably sure that I can attribute the start of my long love affair with historical fiction solely to reading The Royal Diaries series as a child. I still harbour a great fondness for the books, despite being a great deal older than the target audience now. Catherine: The Great Journey was by no means my favourite of the series, but nevertheless a quick, enjoyable read. My only real gripe is that the ending was far too abrupt, almost nonsensically so.
Eliza Brittni
Dec 14, 2008 Eliza Brittni rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history lovers
Recommended to Eliza Brittni by: me!
Dear Kristiana Gregory
This book was really well put together. To think that this is what really went on in young “Catherine’s” life. Her real name was Sophie and it was changed by Empress Elizabeth of Russia. This was an amazing diary because it talked about historical events as well as her feeling towards different important people in history. I couldn’t believe the way her mother treated her, always putting her down, telling her she would never be someone in life, and how she would never marry
Kelsey Hanson
Generally, after reading the Royal Diaries, my first thought is "jeez they had it rough." This one is no exception. These royal daughters were forced to grow up so quickly and had so much responsibility thrust upon them. She also had to make an alarming number of sacrifices in order to secure her throne. It is impressive that Catherine was able to overcome so much to be a strong leader.
Drucilla
Jan 24, 2013 Drucilla rated it liked it
Shelves: royal-diaries
The author does a great job of showing a girl who's caught between a rock and a hard place and is scared. I wish the historical information had been a bit more thorough in regards to her private life such as her family and whether or not she ever saw them again. The author also mentions a few really interesting things such as the coup and I wished she would have gone more into detail about them, although I realize it might not have been appropriate for the age group she was writing to. The only ...more
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
I know very little about Russian history, so Catherine: The Great Journey was eye-opening to say the least! Did you know Catherine the Great’s real name was Sophie and that she was named Catherine when she was in Russia because of the bad connotations her name had there? I sure didn’t. That’s why it wasn’t only Catherine’s amazing character in this novel that appealed to me, but it was also the history added in.

So far Catherine is my favourite character in the entire Royal Diaries series. Consid
Kelly
Jul 18, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: written-by-women
Well, here it is. The very last Royal Diary. And it's a big subject: Catherine the Great. How do you approach one of the most famous royal women in history? You show just how much one girl can grow from a terrorized nobody to empress of one of the largest European empires.

I had no idea Catherine (or Sophie, her name before moving to Russia) had suffered from so much abuse at the hands of her power-hungry mother. This is really the only Royal Diary I can think of that had the protagonist being op
Heidi
The slightly annoying thread that I notice running through these "Royal Diaries" books is that they stop just when the story is getting really interesting. It's a pity. I loved Catherine's voice in this, though.
Meaghan Steeves
Sep 22, 2014 Meaghan Steeves rated it really liked it
This was a great (albeit very brief) enjoyment to read. I love reading diaries (fiction or non-fic as long as it's historical) and find a guilty pleasure in reading about the luxury and splendor the royals lived with so long ago. I love being able to empathize with the poor girls who must grow up learning things they're not interested in or learn their private feelings about who they are intended to marry. My only criticism is that the story is so short. The placement of the ending felt right ye ...more
Amanda Yeargin
I decided to read Catherine: The Great Journey, Russia, 1743 as an IR book. Thsi girl named Sophia she is 14 and she is an Prussian princess. She gets mixed up in her mothers arrangement to marry a young german duke named Charles-Peter who is also the nephew of Russian Empress Elizabeth. She has to move to Russia the Kingdom of Elizabeth and is renamed Catherine. Also she is married to Charles-Peter. She realizes that she is getting seperated from her family. Her mother is in spying ring agains ...more
Linda Lipko
Mar 01, 2011 Linda Lipko rated it liked it
The Royal Diaries series is something I stumbled upon a few days ago. I'm very tired and energy compromised and thus not able to read anything in depth right now.

This book caught my eye when I visited the library yesterday. With he intended audience of younger readers, these books are a wonderful way to learn history without pedantic, boring lists of dates and times.

Catherine was a Princess of Anhalt-Zerbst Prussia. Her father was a Prussian general who was not of nobility. Her incredibly cruel,
Lady Knight
I had read/learned about Catherine the Great in the past, but this story blew me away. I loved the way Kristiana Gregory brought her character to life! Catherine the Great definately had her faults, but she turned a backwards country on its head and revolutionized the Northern world for years to come. She was a truly great figure of history, and one I hope to read much more of.

This is the beautifully told story of Catherine II, Empress of Russia. Or at least, that is who she will be. For now she
Erin
Again with the Russian history, I think the story itself is intriguing. This book made Catherine II look like a gentle and wise ruler, and I appreciated all the additional information in the back of the book that helped to clarify fact from fiction, but I am now interested in finding out more about her. One of the best things about this type of book (also the Dear Mr. President, American Girl series and the like) is that it sparks an interest. I wouldn't be who I am today, studying what I am and ...more
PurplyCookie
"Now I am in the window seat of a Russian palace, bethrothed to my cousin. Mother has made an enemy of just about everyone, and Papa is forbidden to visit me. I have a new name, a new religion, a new title. Gifts of diamonds and jewels are at my fingertips, and I may become the empress of all Russia."

Fourteen-year-old Prussian princess Sophia Augusta Fredericka of Anhalt-Zerbst finds herself entangled in her mother's efforts to arrange a marriage between Sophia and Charles-Peter, a young German
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
It is 1743, and fourteen-year-old Sophie is a princess of Anhalt-Zerbst in Prussia. Sophie's father is not royalty, and her cruel mother, Princess Johanna Elizabeth, is obsessed with improving her own status through her daughter's marriage. To that end, she is determined to do everything possible in order to get Sophie chosen by Empress Elizabeth of Russia to marry her nephew Peter, heir to the throne. Soon, Sophie and her mother must travel to Russia in order to meet Empress Elizabeth. Sophie i ...more
Ana Mardoll
Feb 23, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Catherine, Great Journey / 0-439-25385-3

Here is another wonderful Royal Diary addition. Catherine the Great is of interest to me, having read Henri Troyat's superb rendition of her life and reign. This novel, fictionally 'written' by Catherine, follows Troyat's own work closely and is remarkably consistent with the facts of Catherine's early life, and with the tone of Catherine's personality and style.

This book would be highly approachable for children and adults of all ages. The historical accu
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: Face Blindness
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 0
Talky Talk: About the Subtitles...
Bonus Factors: Crossdressing, Women in Power
Anti-Bonus Factor: Patty Chase Award for Awful Parenting
Relationship Status: Loyal Subject

Read the full book report here.
Avalon
May 31, 2014 Avalon rated it liked it
Catherine's life as a royal was hard. She had a mother and a mother-in-law that continually told her that she was unattractive. There were many strict rule about posture, acquaintances and freedom. but despite all this, Catherine stayed strong and one day became the Russian Empress. The lesson that you can gain from this book is that you are strong, you can do anything if you put your heart to it.
Athen
Oct 29, 2014 Athen rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good book. I would recommend this book to people that like historical fiction and the Dear America series. This is about Sophie who lives in Russia, 1743. The Empress Elizabeth selects her to be her nephew's wife. The empress changes Sophie's name to Catherine. Catherine goes throughout this long journey to become queen. She faces a lot of hardships with her mother, her fiancé, and disease. I think she didn't want to be queen, but was forced into it by her mother's ad ...more
Yshelle Fernandez
Jul 28, 2014 Yshelle Fernandez rated it it was amazing
These series really overwhelmed my whole reading time in school that even my teacher scolds me! It's a really inspiring one in the series because she continued on, despite the cruelty of her mother. Five stars!
Heidi
May 20, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
The Royal Diaries series were always favorites when I was in middle school; I love historical fiction and kept a daily journal, so these books fed my imagination and made me feel connected to some of the greatest people in history.
Amanda
Adventures throughout Russia and exciting, takes a while to get into, overall a good book.
Montana
Jan 16, 2014 Montana rated it it was ok
I read this book as a quick read for information on russia as I will be travelling there in February. It served the purpose I wanted it for, as an introduction to Russian history and in particular Catherine the great. I have since become interested in her and have done further research.
Diviya
Jul 27, 2010 Diviya rated it liked it
This is the story of a young princess. Groomed by a super ambitious mother to become the Empress of Russia, Catherine is not happy.
Not happy to make the journey from France to Russia ( even though the journey is one of the more interesting parts of the book) Not happy to be married to the Russian prince.
Raisa doesnt it rate it that high. "The character of the mother is the problem" she explains.
Diviya agrees. The author hasnt made her convincing. Some villains are colorful ( Snape from Harry P
Abby Eck
Feb 25, 2015 Abby Eck rated it it was amazing
Really nice, fun to read
Maggie
Feb 16, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
Just OK. not bad, not great.
Sue
Mar 20, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Lots of detail; good read.
Ashley
Apr 08, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Catherine has surpassed Victoria as my favourite installment of this series. The dynamics of her relationship with her mother are beautifully portrayed - it's a disturbing, sometimes violent relationship, and Catherine's thoughts come across as realistic, though sad. Probably one of the more heartbreaking epilogues. The shortness of the book makes it an easy read. It's still got it's slower points, but there aren't pages and pages of exposition to wade through.
  • Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858
  • Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653
  • Lady of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749
  • Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 (Royal Diaries #8)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn (Dear Canada))
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909 (Dear America Series)
Kristiana Gregory grew up in Manhattan Beach, California, two blocks from the ocean. She's always loved to make up stories [ask her family!], telling her younger siblings whoppers that would leave them wide-eyed and shivering. Her first rejection letter at age ten was for a poem she wrote in class when she was supposed to be doing a math assignment. She's had a myriad of odd jobs: telephone operat ...more
More about Kristiana Gregory...

The Royal Diaries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England, 1544 (Royal Diaries #1)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C. (Royal Diaries #2)
  • Isabel: Jewel of Castilla, Spain, 1466 (Royal Diaries #3)
  • Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769 (Royal Diaries #4)
  • Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914 (Royal Diaries #5)
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (Royal Diaries #6)
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (Royal Diaries #7)
  • Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829