Start by marking “Mr. Chickee's Funny Money” as Want to Read:
Mr. Chickee's Funny Money

Mr. Chickee's Funny Money

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Mr. Chickee, the genial blind man in the neighborhood, gives 9-year-old Steven a mysterious bill with 15 zeros on it and the image of a familiar but startling face. Could it be a quadrillion dollar bill? Could it be real? Well, Agent Fondoo of the U.S. Treasury Department and his team of Secret Government Agents are determined to get that money back! But Steven and his bes ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Chickee's Funny Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Chickee's Funny Money

Tami
A 250-foot drop over a dam, a friend who does not surface at the bottom and a dozen federal agents in dark suits holding what look like satellite ray guns…this is how Mr. Chickee’s Funny Money begins.

An exciting beginning leads to a story told in flashback by the narrator: fourth grader, Steven. He is joined in his Flint Future Detectives Club by his hilarious and oversize 7-year-old neighbor and best friend, Rufus and Rufus’ equally oversized and hilarious dog, Zoopy.

Steven is a marvelous narra
MissDziura
Mr. Chickee's Funny Money but Christopher Paul Curtis was overall dissappointing mainly because of the format I experienced the book in, audio. I am not a fan of listening to books on CD so I first had to adjust to hearing someone else read to me. As far as that, I found the reading by actor Joe Holt to be about as boring as watching (or listening) to paint dry. The story is multiethnic in nature because of the setting, urban, and the main characters who are African-American. Joe Holt, who is Af ...more
Jodysegal
May 17, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd-5th grades
Shelves: audio-books
Steven has received a quadrillion dollar bill imprinted with the face of James Brown on it from his neighbor Mr. Chickee and now it’s up to him to figure out if this very real looking bill could be authentic. Enlisting the help of his friend Russell, the two must stand up to the black-suited agents of the Department of Treasury. Funny, at times irreverent, and with some refreshing surprises, Mr. Chickee’s Funny Money delivers. An audio-book read by James Holt is enjoyable, though the actor plays ...more
Steven
Steven Carter, founding member and president of the Flint Future Detectives Agency, always finds time to help his favorite adult, Mr. Chickee, the elderly, blind man who lives in his neighborhood. Usually, Mr. Chickee buys ginger ale and potato chips for Steven as a reward. But one day, the old man gives him an envelope instead with a single dollar bill in it. However, it’s a bill that Steven has never seen before.

With the help of his exasperating dad (“Look it up, Steven.”), and an old diction
Christopher Paul Curtis continues to hit the mark with just the right combination of humor, mystery, suspense, accessible reading level, and quick plot. In my continual search to find light-hearted books with African-American protagonists for reluctant readers, Mr. Chickee is one of the few that met my hopes. Junior Detective Steven receives a mysterious dollar bill from neighbor Mr. Chickee, not only does the currency have more zeros than Steven can imagine, it boasts a picture of motown legend ...more
Lena Hillbrand
This book was kinda funny, but also just really weird. My son loved it, but I just listened to it along with him, because he liked it so much. It was entertaining at times, and I never wanted to return it to the library without finishing, but I also never wanted to sit in the driveway listening to it. So, it was enjoyable but not amazing or anything.
Kent
I have enjoyed Curtis's novels in the past and thought this would also be a fun one.

The premise of the novel is that Mr. Chickee gives Steven a quadrillion dollar bill (Soul singer James Brown is the portrait on the bill). It turns out the bill is real and the Feds are trying anything to recover it. The book was okay, but not excellent. The feds were written as fools, the premises of many of the sub-plots were ridiculous. If the book had been written as more of a fantasy, I might have believed i
Caroline
Fun and light-hearted first story in his Mr. Chickee series, Christopher Paul Curtis includes elements common in his other books (set in Flint, Michigan, for example) but provides a whole new kind of reading experience. The protagonist, Steven, is given a quadrillion-dollar bill by his blind--and somewhat mysterious--neighbor, Mr. Chickee, for all the help Steven provides him on his weekly grocery shopping trip. Mr. Chickee goes out of town immediately after, leaving Steven to figure out if the ...more
Abby Johnson
Steven, member of the Future Flint Detective Club, has been given a quadrillion dollar bill by his friend Mr. Chickee. When he goes to the Department of the Treasury to find out if the bill could be real, he meets Agent Fondoo and he thinks there's something fishy about him. Unbeknownst to Steven, Agent Fondoo has just gotten a memo about the missing quadrillion dollar bill and the huge reward for finding it. Fondoo will stop at nothing to get it back, but are Steven's detective skills sharp eno ...more
Gerry
This must be the first in a series of somewhat silly stories.
I especially enjoyed all the references to libraries, librarians and books in general!
Cassaundra Day
I am giving this book to every little boy (age 7-12) who says he can't find anything to read! Boys will be able to identify with Stephen's adventures as he tries to solve the mystery of the quadrillion dollar bill, given to him by his neighbor Mr. Chickee. I especially enjoyed the coded dialogue between Stephen and his dad - in the form of James Brown song lyrics! Hilarious!
Ann Marie
was not impressed enough to give it to any age group for a summer reading list
Anja Manning
There are few books that really weren't written for me. This is one of them.
This type of nonsense literature really doesn't appeal to me, but that's just my sense of humor.
I am just as convinced that there are a great many boys (and girls) out there who will love this book, because it's funny (I suppose), fast-paced, and short.
I love Christopher Paul Curtis - but this book not so much. Sorry. What book leaves more questions in the end than it answers in the entire book?
Josiah
This book is absolutely hilarious; I'm talking about quite a few laugh-out-loud moments being attributable to this book. There were also some heartfelt scenes snuck in amongst the sublime comedic syntax. Perhaps it's the limited amount of stories published by him, but Christopher Paul Curtis is always 100% on the ball with whatever comes from his pen. Simply put, if it's written by Christopher Paul Curtis, my advice to anyone is: Read it.
Sherry
A rare piece of currency originating from a blind old man leads the government to trail a boy, his dog, and his friends. Enjoyable and zany, and quite different from others by Christopher Paul Curtis. Starts out with the revelation that a best friend has just died in a tragic accident, which starts the book in a grim way, then begins a flashback to story leading up to that event, where the mystery and zaniness comes in.

Booklegger 3/4.
Hridayendra
I love the book mr. chickee's funny money because it makes simpel wards like big thung into words a pink big thing filled with water.I also enjoyed the book because it is filled with new and funny chapters. my favorate charater is zuippy because his bark is loud and people think he is a bear i have a dog jest like that at home. I give the book 10 barks out of 10.
Kesha
Corny but lovable for young readers. My fourth grader loved this one.
Kristi
This was the second book I read to my sixth graders. A boy is given a bill that is so outrageously large, and he goes to the FBI to see if it is even real. It's a fun, silly book. I mean, James Brown is on the bill! How crazy is that! The bill is real, and the FBI want it. Craziness ensues.
Heather
Cute story! Not as deep as other Christopher Paul Curtis' books that I've read, but it was entertaining. The story has little silly details thrown into an otherwise realistic setting. It reminded me of tall tales and oral storytelling a bit and of Robert Munch. My kids loved this one.
Cinnamon
This was way too annoying for me. I only finished it because I didn't want to lose any time in my reading challenge.
There was so much crazy stuff that I suppose 3rd or 4th grade boys might find funny. Curtis should stick with historical fiction, where he excels.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
I liked this one pretty good. I have to say, though, that my favorites are still The Watsons go to Birmingham and Bud, Not Buddy. The narrator did a pretty good job, although, it would have been nice for him to try a few more different variations in the voices.
Michele
didn't know what to expect, but this was quite funny in a subtle way that I definitely appreciated more than the kids. we listened to the book and it was very enjoyable. The references to pop music, particularly old soul, is really fun.
Lovmelovmycats Hart
Liz is determined to read all of Curtis' books. Ok by me, they are good! This one is a fantasy, which is different from the others of his we've read. A nice change of pace!

Not as good as his award-winners. (who woulda thought?) :)
Kate
Irreverent and goofy, this book takes Christopher Paul Curtis' unmistakable talent for creating very real child characters and blends it with a romping mystery whose lack of realism Curtis acknowledges with a wink and a nod.
Rebecca
I laughed out loud through the entire book. One of my favorite parts was the discussion of the Poneytail Patriots. I love how Curtis really captures the story through Steven's eyes - even when he's not speaking.
Junio
Humerous with its own logic. It's almost a modern folktale. James Brown's face on the quadrillion dollar bill, is a nice touch and integral to the storyline.
Keith
Very off the wall, but entertaining. Steven Carter is a kid with a wild imagination...or is there more to him than that? That's part of the fun!
Ika
Mr.Chickee's funny money is about this boy who got a quadrilion dollars.He has a friend who was really,really tall but he was just 5 years old.
Michelle
Arguably, the best line ever: "Besides, only somebody really strange would even think about changing the words that another person had written."
Diana
Cute and funny book, but I was not happy with the ending. It didn't wrap up as neatly as I expected, apparently there are more...
  • Maybelle in the Soup
  • The House of Windjammer (Windjammer, #1)
  • Highway Cats
  • My Name Is Sally Little Song
  • Soccer Chick Rules
  • All of the Above
  • The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio
  • Fire In The Hills
  • The Thirteenth Skull (Alfred Kropp, #3)
  • My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier
  • Troll Mill (Troll, #2)
  • Victory
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • Shadows on Society Hill: An Addy Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Search for Belle Prater
  • Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7)
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
Curtis was born in Flint, Michigan on May 10, 1953 to Dr. Herman Elmer Curtis, a chiropodist, and Leslie Jane Curtis, an educator. The city of Flint plays an important role in many of Curtis's books. One such example is Bucking the Sarge, which is about a fifteen year old boy named Luther T. Ferrel, who is in a running battle with his slum-lord mother. Curtis is an alumnus of the University of Mic ...more
More about Christopher Paul Curtis...
Bud, Not Buddy The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 Elijah of Buxton The Mighty Miss Malone Bucking the Sarge

“Once Zoopy started woofing you never knew when he'd stop. Agent One screamed, “It's alive! I thought it was a car!” 0 likes