Start by marking “Rescued by a Highlander (Clan Grant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rescued by a Highlander (Clan Grant, #1)

Rescued by a Highlander (Clan Grant #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,821 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
**WARNING** Mature content- Contains references to abuse and a previous rape that may be disturbing for some readers.

Recently revised! New Editor!

Madeline MacDonald has been a victim of her stepbrother's cruelty ever since her parents' death in a fire two years ago. Forced into a betrothal to a man she hates, her only way out is to escape to a convent.

Laird Alexander Gran
Published July 26th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rescued by a Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescued by a Highlander

How to Train Your Knight by Stella Marie AldenThe Secret by Julie GarwoodThe Wedding by Julie GarwoodThe Bride by Julie GarwoodThe Protector by Madeline Hunter
Favorite Medieval Romances
44th out of 170 books — 31 voters
At the Water's Edge by Sara GruenBeyond Seduction by Stephanie LaurensProtected by the Major by Anne HerriesThe Wicked Earl by Margaret McPheeSecrets of the Heart by Jillian Kent
"Madeline"
28th out of 69 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

~ Becs ~
Oh my!

It really doesn't give me pleasure to leave negative reviews but I firmly believe in HONEST reviews and this book was not at all to my liking so, if you're the author who's just happened on my review, I urge you to look away now. This is NOT going to be pretty!

This really was THE most overblown, melodramatic, sentimental piece of romantic claptrap that has been my displeasure to read these past couple of years. It is seriously cheesy and I mean MASSIVELY CHEESY and it has the feel of somet
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jan 12, 2014 Katrina Passick Lumsden rated it did not like it
Where do I start?

Where do I even start?

I had wondered if anyone had yet written a highland romance featuring an irritating Mary Sue heroine. By the gods, I have my answer!

Madeline is just perfect. She's beautiful and strong and good with children and artistic and sweet and nurturing and loyal and smart and brave and

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She suffers severe abuse (including a rather horrifying torture rape), but still doesn't want anything bad to happen to the people who hurt her. Because she's just that fucking ama
Carmen
Nov 08, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans
She enjoyed kissing Alex. Maybe he would allow her to kiss him whenever she wanted after they were wed.

Hell, yeah! KISSING!!!!!!

Maddie is under the protection of her evil stepbrother, Kenneth. He beats her frequently, and tortures her. He also gives her to the neighbor to be raped and promises him her hand in marriage. She's permanently scarred and also branded. Alex, a good man, sees this abuse while visiting and rescues Maddie by spiriting her away. They fall in love.

I honestly don't know what
Amber
Oct 06, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
While I PERSONALLY loved this book I will admit first and foremost it is not a book that is going to appeal to everyone. It's hard for me to describe exactly who this book is for, but I will try.

* Do you like heroes saving damsels in distress?
* Do you like a romantic pair healing each others emotional scars?
* Do you love watching a romance develop slowly over time?
GOOD NEWS! This IS a book for you.

x Do you NOT like your characters to be too "perfect?"
x Do you NOT like historical plots that focu
L.A. Miller
Aug 07, 2013 L.A. Miller rated it really liked it
First off I totally enjoyed this book and fell in love with Alex from the moment he was introduced. Any male that is totally hot, lethal, brutal when necessary in battle yet tender towards the female gender rates high in my book. I felt for Maddie as she struggled with her trust of men after the abuse she had suffered. She was not a weak heroine but one who had learned to adapt to the awful situation she that had been forced upon her without losing the decency of her humanity. In a time era ...more
Lisa
Jan 24, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
I am so very sorry to be doing this....I don't think I've ever given a poor review, but I can't help it here. I didn't realize this was a debut effort-I learned that from another reviewer, but it makes total sense. I agree with other reviewers that it was a very amateurish attempt.

It started out okay enough and Alex was a little interesting, but Madeleine, albeit strong, was very immature and had a very elementary vocabulary. Also, there just wasn't any depth. I am a fan of Highland imagery, th
Liloshadow (ReNee)
Aug 06, 2013 Liloshadow (ReNee) rated it liked it
Shelves: so-so
Sadly disappointing...

I find leaving critical reviews hard and distasteful most of the time...but I felt I needed to point a few things out with this story. Hopefully it doesn't come across as overly critical...I do enjoy nice people so I try to be one myself. ; )

This story started out great but quickly went sour. I found the characters to be one dimensional, and not that engaging. The heroine Maddie has been sorely abused and at first I really liked her. She had an innocence that was sweet. S
Maria
Jul 20, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Passionately touching!

This is my first Keira Montclair book...and it will definitely not be my last. Maddie MacDonald 's young life has been filled with horrible, horrible abuse by her stepbrother and betrothed. To the extent she does not express her pain, whether it is physical or emotional pain. Laird Alexander Grant (Alex) is Laird of his clan and overseer of his two brothers and two sisters who he love immensely. When he is suddenly witness to Maddie's bruises, he makes it his mission to pro
Kimi Court
Jun 18, 2014 Kimi Court rated it it was amazing
If you have issues with rape scenes or women being brutishly beaten then this is not your book, But if you are like me and realize this happened back then and was part of life, then this is your book to get.

I loved this book. I was so consumed the more I read. I felt like I was there feeling everything she felt. This book still remains with me to this day. I bought this book and read it last summer. It happens to be one of my Favorite and I don't have many on my FAV list. I am picky when I add
Cozen
Somehow, this book feels as though it was written by an amateur. Maybe more amateur towards the time period than the actual writing. Maybe it's due to the inner dialog of the hero, because it doesn't read "leader alpha guy" at all. Maturity level is off. I have only made it to chapter 9 and it is rankling my nerves that I paid $5.00 to read it.
Becky
Apr 13, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abuse, historical
I really liked this book. The characters were great and the story was great. It did have quite a bit of abuse in it, and some of it was hard to read, but it was still a really enjoyable book. I loved Alex and how patient and sweet he was!
Denise
Jan 12, 2015 Denise rated it did not like it
Well that was completely ridiculous.
Jocelyn
Ugh... where to start with this... I don't usually like to give books a bad review but COME ON!!!

For a first time out... at least the editing was pretty good... just a couple of mistakes ... wrong words in wrong places but I've seen way worse. The premise was good... the description of the tortures that Maddie went through are horrific (almost on the borderline of unbelievable)and the final twist was absolutely ludicrous. So here we go:

Oh holy hell... the characters drove me up the wall!

Maddie i
Ezinwanyi~ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)

I liked this book. It was a good beginning with a really likeable H/h pairing. The hero was a really kind hearted leader and the heroine wasn't really a damsel in distress. She was had so much inner strength that she withstood repeated attempts by her stepbrother to break her spirit.

Madeline MacDonald was an orphan left to the care of stepbrother who hated her. Kenneth physically and emotionally abused Maddy as many times as he could. She was finally rescued after the Grant clan came through for
Tory
Nov 15, 2013 Tory rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
I was only able to get about 1/3 of the way through this book. We are told many, many, many, many times that Keira has been abused and traumatized throughout her life, but she doesn't act like it, other than to lament about it. The first chapter or so are good, but then it just gets worse and worse, so I had to quit.
Tracey Brown
3.5 to 4 stars I thoroughly enjoyed this book Alex was instantly likable and i loved him more and more as the story went on, There are difficult topics covered in this story and if rape and abuse are triggers for you then maybe this book is not for you. I personally thought the author handled those scenes very well and they weren't overly gratuitous . Very likable characters and good story lines i loved Madelines strength and courage i look forward to reading the next one.

Re read 09/11/2015
I dec
Joan Osborne
Aug 21, 2014 Joan Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Highland romance

Wonderful Highland romance

This was a wonderful story with one of the bravest heroines I have ever had the pleasure to read about. Maddie suffered greatly at the hands of her step brother and suffered a terrible rape by the man her step brother tried to force her to marry. When Alex sees her and notices her injuries, with the help of his brother and Maddie's loyal servants, he is able to sneak her and take her home with him. Alex was such a wonderful hero and I loved how
Karen
Mar 01, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
This a shocking tale especially as the extent of abuse unravels. However, the heroine shows much courage and fortitude continuing to mask her pain in silence.

Villains are psychotic, protective laird shows much compassion under all his bluster and impatience, I enjoyed the wonderment as Maddie sees the contrasts of the old life with the new. The little sister Jennie was delightful character that brought perspective and the fundamental importance of family cherishing each other.
Kate Laporte
Feb 18, 2015 Kate Laporte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hi Boy!

Where do I begin? The plot is over-done, the speech is stilted, the characters are unbelievably innocent for the time they live in (or, actually any time!).
No one is as good as the heroine, or as ignorant as the hero!
Boring, boring, boring! Wish I could be more positive, but from now on I will read the free sample before buying a book!
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Aug 28, 2015 Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb" rated it did not like it
VIOLENT AND ABUSIVE!!

I couldn't finish this one returned it.

Rescued by a Highlander should come with a warning. The book starts out with rape and abuse to the Heroine Madeline!! It's horrible. It made me sick!! Books with this type of violence toward women should come with a Warning!! I returned the book
Yolanda
Oct 12, 2014 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
sooooooooooooo enjoyed this book was beautifully written the baddies got what they deserved and ms montclair had me on the edge of my chair right the way through the story cant wait to read more in this series. if you like historical fiction taking you back in time then this series is for you loved every chapter.
Heather
Madeline MacDonald has been victimized by her evil stepbrother since her parent's untimely death two years earlier. The brutalization is severe and her torture has escalated to the point where her devoted maid fears for Maddie's life. In addition to the torture, Maddie is betrothed to a cruel man, although the book does not make it clear why her brother has forced this betrothal.

Laird Alexander Grant receives a desperate message to rescue a lady in distress from a keep he has recently visited.
Wendy C
Sep 27, 2013 Wendy C rated it liked it
Rescued by a Highlander by Keira Monclair

Rescued by a Highlander by Keira Monclair is a story about a young woman named Maddie, who was living with her step-bother Kenneth because their parents were dead. Maddie endured a great amount of pain and suffering at her brothers hands. Kenneth wanted Maddie to marry Niles and Kenneth gave Maddie to Niles one day and Niles raped her. So Maddie is very fearful of men.

One day Alexander saves Maddie by taking her through secret tunnels under her family est
Elle Schroder
Jan 11, 2015 Elle Schroder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kara
Oct 20, 2013 Kara rated it it was ok
I am torn about how to write this review. On the one hand, this is a debut book. The two main characters are engaging. I love the time period.

On the other hand, there are some things in this story that really irked me. The first thing was the number of times that Maddie "drew on her inner strength." I'm sorry but any phrase repeated that many times in a story just really bugs me! It did seem to die down some about halfway through the book so that helped. Another thing that bugged me was how Ale
†Ðawn†
It's been over a year since I read this, and I am back to give my written review.

This was my very first HR, and I loved it so much I continued to read more of this genre (and this series).

My memory is a bit weak, and I will one day reread and rewrite this with more clarity, but of what I can remember, I certainly know that I LOVED ALex. He was so patient and protective of Maddie, he truly made my heart melt.

I remembered loving the h, as well as all the characters. The story kept a good pace, an
Elizabeth Bennet
Mar 25, 2015 Elizabeth Bennet rated it it was amazing
I read the books out of order but it didn't hurt the stories any if anything you could appreciate them better. Maddie was quite the woman and had a large tolerance for pain. Much like her other book Keira Montclair tells the story of the tragedy her heroin has dealt with. My heart just went out to this brave courageous woman and just as in Healing A Highlander the book comes to life from the start. I really enjoyed watching this story come to life.

Alex is such a strong character and a much dese
Jayne dArcy
May 15, 2016 Jayne dArcy rated it it was amazing
Very good story but really hard to read. The abuse that Madeleine suffers only shows how little women were thought of in that day and age. They were no more than a way to entertain men, even those that were deviant. And, the woman was expected to accept however she was treated.

Madeleine will not suffer forever. She is rescued by Laird Alexander Grant who was raised with a different attitude towards women. He discovers the worst that Madeleine is subjected to and he refuses to have her suffer any
Hayley Faiman
Dec 01, 2014 Hayley Faiman rated it really liked it
Poor maddie... I can't even imagine the horrors she endured by her evil step brother and her "betrothed" ... But then by chance or fate or whatever Alex sees her and needs to save her and boy oh boy did he save her!!!!! This book only had a few sex scenes and I skimmed over some small parts where it seemed a tad repetitive but other than that I loved it and I could not put it down! The ending seemed a tad rushed especially the birthing scene.. Left me with a few questions.

Can't wait for book 2!
Wendy Tavenner
Mar 22, 2015 Wendy Tavenner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful Read!!! A++++

My first book by the author and I loved it. It caught you from the beginning and it was hard to put down. Poor Maddie she was abused and tortured by her step brother from the time her parents died!!! Alexander Grant happens upon her and later goes back to rescue her. So much happens from intrigue, guilt, healing, passion, love and twists!!! You will love this book!!!
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Once Forbidden (MacKendimen, #2)
  • Highland Seer (Highland Talents, #2)
  • The Wedding Vow
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Northern Lights
  • To Bewitch a Highlander
  • A Promise of Love
  • Tempted by Your Touch (Brides of the Bloodstone, #1)
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • Regan's Pride (Long, Tall Texans, #11)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • Scottish Starter Box Set: Three Full Length Series-Starter Novels, Angel of Skye, The Dreamer, Borrowed Dreams
  • A Slip in Time
  • The Highlander's Prize (The Sutherlands, #1)
  • Finding Grace
  • His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides, #1)

Clan Grant (8 books)
  • Healing a Highlander's Heart (Clan Grant, #2)
  • Love Letters from Largs (Clan Grant, #3)
  • Journey to the Highlands (Clan Grant, #4)
  • Highland Sparks (Clan Grant, #5)
  • My Desperate Highlander: Micheil and Diana (Clan Grant Series Book 6)
  • The Brightest Star in the Highlands: Jennie and Aedan (Clan Grant Series Book 7)
  • Highland Harmony: Avelina and Drew (Clan Grant Series Book 8)