Start by marking “Aetna Adrift: The Complete Story” as Want to Read:
Aetna Adrift: The Complete Story

Aetna Adrift: The Complete Story (Aetna Adrift #1-2)

What do you do when every aspect of life is regulated by a soul-sucking bureaucracy and constant surveillance is the norm?

You run. You find the out-of-the-way places no one watches. You make sure no one depends upon you, and you beat the system. That's what Jack did, and it worked...until now.

It starts to go wrong when Jack breaks his rule and takes Anna home more than onc
Kindle Edition
Published July 7th 2013 by Erik Wecks

To ask other readers questions about Aetna Adrift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aetna Adrift

Ceri London
Aetna Adrift stands out for me for the patient world-building the author employs to slowly reveal the enormous infrastructure supporting this small moon on the edge of a corporate society, a society that has grown so big it has attained galactic proportions. I suspect the author enjoyed exaggerating some of the worst qualities of corporate life.

Initially immersed in Jack Halloway’s interesting career choices, I gradually realised he was more interested in pursuing his side ventures than advancem
M.G. Mason
Nov 15, 2013 M.G. Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand alone kind of prequel novel for an upcoming series of books set in a universe known as “Pax Imperium”. It is a universe where government and megacorporations are one and the same (this corporate government is called The Unity and it is based primarily on the US government). This novel though is set purely on one planet in this universe – the titular Aetna.

Our protagonist is a black market trader named Jack. He is at once an affable character and ultimately rather familiar in a Ha
Andy Sherwood
Jul 20, 2013 Andy Sherwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once this story gets moving, it does.. not.. stop. And the characters! You can really tell that the author knows every tiny detail about them. While the story focuses on the protagonist, Jack Halloway, the thoughts and emotions of all of the characters really come across clear as bell. They behave like actual human beings, not super heroes. But don't think they just sit around talking to each other the whole story. It's loaded with intrigue, escape, rescue, redemption and a little bit of ...more
Komal Mehta
Jun 05, 2014 Komal Mehta rated it really liked it
So this is an era of utmost advancement. Here you can get cured for severe diseases, fractures, blood lose, memory loss and what not by injecting a few chemical compounds. You can get heinous crimes committed and confessed by a mere 5ml vyle of liquid. Hydrogen bombs are a life threat. The whole universe is captured and earth barely exists in memories of the oldies. But the bodies still need real sex for pleasure and real food for existence.

Looks like a new Asimov is on the move with fresh pint
Rich K.
Aug 29, 2013 Rich K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that the conclusion is here, I can give this 5 stars, my first ever 5 stars for a goodreads review. This book had a good story, a great universe and phenomenal characters. I love the way nothing seems too canned. The conclusion fulfilled the promise of part one. A great read for scifi fans.
David Bruns
May 06, 2014 David Bruns rated it it was amazing
When you sell your book on Amazon, there is a feature on your book page called “Customers Who Viewed this Item Also Viewed.” I like to browse this list to see what other authors are up to. A few weeks ago, one title caught my eye, Aetna Adrift (A Pax Imperium Novel) by Erik Wecks.

So, using my magic Kindle, I bought it. If you enjoy space opera/adventure, you’ll like Aetna Adrift. As advertised, it’s a “high octane thriller” for sure, but it’s more than that.

Meet Jack Randall, smuggler, playboy,
James Ingraham
Sep 18, 2016 James Ingraham rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the characters.
Tammy Salyer
Sep 26, 2014 Tammy Salyer rated it really liked it
When you pick up Erik Wecks's heavy-action and suspense-filled space-based thriller, you are immediately drawn into a story that promises high drama and galactic impact. The Pax Imperium world continues beyond Aetna Adrift, yet its greater themes of empire and political intrigue are well-ensconced and lightly meted out in this closer adventure of one man, black-market entrepenuer and not-so-upstanding businessman Jack Halloway. Just a guy trying to get by on the harsh fringe planet of Aetna, ...more
Chris
Jun 20, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Welcome to Jack's world. He is the manager of a space station that orbits a backwater moon named Aetna in the space territory of Mother Unity. At least that is his day job. Mother Unity may be an all powerful, citizen controlling totalitarian society, but that is okay with Jack. He is isolated and he can run his black market and he can maintain his playboy ways because the all looking eye of Mother Unity rarely looks his way.

That i
Lee
Mar 20, 2015 Lee rated it it was amazing
My amazon review:
This is a really wonderful story that manages to accomplish many different things at once. Without slowing down the plot or interrupting the narrative, Wecks builds a interesting universe with a robust history, scratches the geek itch with imaginative technical and artistic inventions that are stand-alone cool and advance the development, and demonstrates a firm commitment to building his story around great characters.

He mentions in the afterward that he wrote this story as a w
David K
Sep 08, 2016 David K rated it liked it
I'm waffling between 2 and 3 stars. I'm giving it 3 because I enjoyed the story and some unique elements to the story. My biggest beef lies in some of the character development and, unforgivably, some very poor editing regarding one character that the other apparently decided to change their gender during editing and wound up with usage that flipped back and forth between male and female, often within the same paragraph, sometimes even the same sentence.
Shelly
Mar 17, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it
There was an interesting premise behind this book but it felt like things never really got fully developed. The characters were rather flat, the plot rather thin, and the descriptions of the setting not particularly vivid. A lot of potential which wasn't met. The ending also felt rushed and not very complete. I understand from the author's note that these characters will appear in another series but I felt like they should have had a more satisfying conclusion to this part of their story here, ...more
Gail
Oct 27, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I like sci fi, but this was most definitely guy sci fi. In spite of that, I became caught up in the story and fascinated by the characters.

About 2/3 through the book the cadence of the writing seemed to change as though the sentence structure had fizzled a bit. At that point it became more unappealing, but I was so caught up in the story by then that I continued.

Really, I'd rate it about 4.5 stars -- liked it a lot, didn't actually love it du
Bianca
Dec 29, 2014 Bianca rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
So help me God I tried.
I received a copy of this novel through a giveaway on BookLikes.
It pains me to say this, but I couldn't finish reading this.
Fifteen percent into the novel in kindle edition, it still did not have my attention grabbed.
Cynthia
Mar 28, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi Suspense

Sci-fi Suspense

I thoroughly enjoyed "Aetna Adrift," and found it to be well edited in whole. The story is well plotted, and I look forward to reading the second book of the series.
Jeff S. Green
An interesting take on everyday life of the future, while under control of a massive corrupt corporation.
Jbaes
Jan 20, 2015 Jbaes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read

The book has quite a few unusual ideas none of which seem implausible. It kept my attention pretty much from beginning to end.
Rich K.
Rich K. rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Melon
Melon rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Arjackson
Arjackson rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Heidi Somerville
Heidi Somerville rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Matt Williams
Matt Williams rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
T Ciampi
T Ciampi rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
michael c. wimert
michael c. wimert rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Nomaan
Nomaan rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jason Flood
Jason Flood rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Pilz
Pilz rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
John Weldon
John Weldon rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
I am a full time writer and blogger living in Vancouver, Washington. I am an author of both non-fiction and fiction, as well as a contributor to the GeekDad blog on Wired.com. I write on a wide range of topics. When not waxing poetic on various aspects of fiscal responsibility, I tend toward the geeky.

When not poised over the keyboard, I love to spend time with my family. I am married to an angel,
More about Erik Wecks...

Aetna Adrift (2 books)
  • Aetna Adrift: Part 1 (Aetna Adrift, #1)
  • Aetna Adrift: Part 2 (The Conclusion)