Start by marking “Tubby the Tuba [With CD (Audio)]” as Want to Read:
Tubby the Tuba [With CD (Audio)]

Tubby the Tuba [With CD (Audio)]

For sixty years audiences have been charmed by the adventures of a tuba named Tubby. All day long, Tubby plays oompah, oompah with his orchestra, but what he really wants is to "dance with the pretty little tune." A resourceful bullfrog shows Tubby that everyone has the right to play his own melody. When the recording of Tubby the Tuba was first released, it met with insta ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Dutton Books (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Tubby the Tuba [With CD (Audio)], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tubby the Tuba [With CD (Audio)]

Jessie
Jun 20, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Must listen to the CD, though! We read the book without the CD first and it was just okay. Then later I put the CD in and was blown away. Lots of orchestra music. Each individual character is a different instrument, and whenever they talk, that particular instrument plays in the background. The music really comes to life. We checked this book out from the library and have listened to it at least 10 times, and now my 3-yr-old can identify a bunch of instruments just by sound. The music really com ...more
Dondra
Sep 14, 2015 Dondra rated it liked it
I really liked this book, and so did my kiddos. However, I have one complaint. The audio CD does not follow the written text. It is hard for kids to follow along when the audio is skipping, adding or changing words from the book. Overall, still, a good book made much more interesting with the music on CD.
Sarah Adamson
A fun storybook exploring the orchestra and music. The audio version does add to the tale! Beautiful illustrations although I wish they were more realistic!
Kristen
Nov 02, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
Anyone who's ever played in a symphony should know (or get to know) Tubby the Tuba. I remember my mom's orchestra played this when I was young (story narrated and accompanied by the symphony) and I have never forgotten it. When I saw this book in a catalog (with fully scored music CD), I couldn't resist! It's another great book that introduces kids to the instruments and sections of the symphony. And if you ever find a live performance of this great story, be sure to go - and tell me about it so ...more
Samantha
Apr 24, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Tubby the Tuba wants to play a new tune, but he befriends a frog that shows him how valuable his "voice" is in the orchestra, even if it doesn't often play the melody.

Pencil illustrations give the intruments a realistic look at the same time that they give each piece their own personality and character. The cartoony look of their faces makes for some great facial expressions which help support the text.
Rebecca Martin
Aug 30, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it really liked it
This is a nice book with cute illustrations. It's great for a read aloud; it discusses friendship, bullying, and music. Teachers can introduce new instruments for their students but either bringing them to the classroom or using pictures. Then the students can get in groups and create a short song by making lyrics and using insturments. Then they can share it with the classroom.
The Brothers
Kind of a meandering tale of a tuba who wants to play a melody instead of just oompah oompah all the time.

Nicely drawn. The illustrations are done by the same guy (Henry Cole) that does the Warthog series (Warthogs Paint, Slop Goes the Soup, Warthogs in the Kitchen).
Erin
Feb 24, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Super cute book! My 2nd graders LOVED it. It started class discussions about the excellent positive messages of the book (how we should treat others and how everyone can succeed) and music vocabulary. It's funny and has great illustrations.
Ellis
Nov 13, 2008 Ellis rated it really liked it
E really likes this book, but I think it's got too much negativity going on (ideas I don't want to introduce), so I skip those parts and we talk about the instruments mostly. ilove hearing his little voice say oboe and bassoon. :-)
Heather Jo
Jul 10, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Karlie Bevan
Aug 27, 2013 Karlie Bevan rated it did not like it
This was a terrible book. I did not like anything about it. It was boring and not one to read to children, especially if they are not familiar with musical instruments.
Samantha
Apr 13, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely book about a tuba who wants the chance to shine. Uses lots of musical vocabulary. Good descriptive words.
Sarah K.
I thought the book was really cute. Its very true that the tubanever really gets the melody.
Eireanne
Nov 17, 2013 Eireanne rated it liked it
Was missing CD but still a nice story, and I liked the illustrations :)
Marissa
Jul 09, 2007 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The CD included is fantastic - really brings the book to life.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Landon
Landon rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Micah B
Micah B rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 31, 2016
Leon Wofsy
Leon Wofsy rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Irena
Irena added it
Jun 06, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
EDM
EDM added it
Mar 13, 2016
Mary Bittler
Mary Bittler rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016