Start by marking “NASTYbook CD: NASTYbook CD” as Want to Read:
NASTYbook CD: NASTYbook CD

NASTYbook CD: NASTYbook CD

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
NASTY ( 'nas-te ) adj. 1. Twisted.2. Spitefully unfair.3. Causing dangerous and severe laughter. SYNONYMS: Hilarious. Deliciously fun. Sample usage: What a nasty, wicked book, filled with mayhem and mischief. Only nasty criminals would kidnap a cuddly teddy bear! Monsters attacking 'cause a kid picks his nose? That's nasty. A witch on the Internet, a superhero who farts? A ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 26th 2005 by HarperFestival (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about NASTYbook CD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NASTYbook CD

Michelle
Jan 28, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: favorites
Once in awhile a book comes along that is just so mindblowingly absurd that you honestly don't know what to think. NASTYbook is one of those books.

While most people will be quick to point out that most of what Mr. Yourgrau has written inside is weird and stupid, you really have to give the guy credits for his creativity. Really, it's genius.

I have never read a book more random than this. Nor have I read a better one. It's a fast, whacky, fun-filled journey from cover to cover. Though all his sto
Nikku
Mar 21, 2009 Nikku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another potential for 3rd grade book club that was passed over for being too dark. If you like your fables with unhappy, abrupt and sometimes scary endings, this is a great book for you. I found it highly entertaining but not terribly appropriate for the under-10 crowd.
Jared Vincent Lacaran
This book is shit but I gave it 2 stars 'cause you're supposed to read it upside down :D
Marsha
Oh, yes, this is a nasty book. Naughty, filled with plot twists and covered with inky fingerprints, it’s the sort of book that makes adults and children alike a tad apprehensive…which may be the point. From a child who discovers that his parents aren’t his real parents (for anyone who’s ever looked sideways at the parental units and wondered…) to the dreams of a sadly caged monkey to a writer that gets even with some very unpleasant critics, “Nastybook” has no heroes, few happy endings and quite ...more
Eddie McNeil
Dec 04, 2011 Eddie McNeil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally thought that this novel was very interesting and unique. It demonstrated to me a great new style of rhetoric and it sparked a lot of new ideals that I could use for my writing. some things I didn't like about the novel though were, some stories were very plain and boring. You could honestly tell which stories the author put more effort into. Even with that being said though, I still would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars mainly because of its originality, cleverness, and for the le ...more
Gina
Sep 27, 2007 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
I didn't even read this book. However, I gave it four stars because it is upside down. (When you open the front cover and wonder if you are retarded, you see a teeny right-side-up note that asks, "Is this book upside down, or are you?"). Imagine reading this on a plane. The fat hairy guy next to you would think you just go around pretending you know how to read. He would feel superior and you could deplane knowing that you boosted some loser's self esteem.
Peyton
Oct 03, 2011 Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yourgrau has assembled a collection of uproariously unpleasant stories that would make Lemony Snicket cry uncle. I snorted, hooted, and guffawed my way through these malicious tales in just a couple of days, and am already wanting more. The only drawback to this book is that the stories come so fast and furious that the reader is in danger of overload. My advice: take this one slowly and savor every macabre moment. You won't be sorry.
Kelley
Jul 25, 2011 Kelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like any book of short stories there are some good ones and some bad ones. Unfortunately this book seemed to hold more bad than good. This book prides itself on its hilarity, and I didn't find it funny in the least. I also had a hard time keeping up with the extremely short stories: it was more of a collection for the ADD than a collection for the general public.
Katie
Jun 06, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is like VERY random... alot of characters and their story. its very very werid and it comes in many stories.
i personally think its soo random...it can get boring because theres nothing you can really connect to. the short stories are too short... but the good thing is that its very creative. reading a book upside down. makes you weird.
Leah Wener-Fligner
Jan 30, 2015 Leah Wener-Fligner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-chapter, ya
Delightful! Do you wince in retrospect at the naivete of those books of saccharine fable/parable things where, like, the generous stoat gets the extra cheese from the lazy badger's picnic or whatever?

Read this. Read it now.
Diamond
I stopped reading this book because it was very boring and it was weird. It was not about one person it was about many people and tall tales that happened to them. This book seems to be for boys rather than girls.
Madison
The Nasty Book is not all the same story it is a veriaty of writting.I enjoyed all of the ones I read.It was a little comfusing at first becasue I thought it was all the same story but it is not.
Eriele the Mermaid ❤
Apr 27, 2012 Eriele the Mermaid ❤ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
But then idk why, but it disgusted me. Seriously.
I GOT THIS FOR ONLY 40PHP AND IT HAS A FREAKING AWESOME SIGNATURE OF YOURGRAU! <3
Jeffrey
May 22, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Very Silly book of short stories. Some are terrible and others are very clever. A very quick and enjoyable read.
Mary
very interesting, funny, and irrational.
Jenny
Jul 02, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
43 short stories taht are nasty in many ways
Beth Shields-Szostak
May 28, 2011 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed by author
Rose
Oct 14, 2013 Rose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what the...???
Daniel Hale
Daniel Hale marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Baylight
Baylight marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Patrick
Patrick is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Roni
Roni rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Andrea Buman
Andrea Buman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Honeycarmel
Honeycarmel rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Tod
Tod added it
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Writer-performer Barry Yourgrau is author of a new memoir about clutter and hoarding, "Mess: One Man's Struggle to Clean Up His House and His Act."

Profile in New York Times: "A Hoarder's Tale of Redemption" http://tinyurl.com/nw8kad7

Barry's other books, mainly surreal brief tales such as "Wearing Dad's Head" and "A Man Jumps Out of An Airplane," are considered classics of short-short fiction. He
More about Barry Yourgrau...