Start by marking “Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)” as Want to Read:
Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)

Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror #15)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An annual showcase of horror and dark fantasy fiction.
Paperback
Published November 1st 2004 by Constable & Robinson (first published October 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Best New Horror 15, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best New Horror 15

Justin
This volume includes 25 stories sandwiched between a lengthy introduction and necrology that I tend to skip.

“Fear the Dead” by Ramsey Campbell
A boy tries to cope with his grandmother’s death. It was alright, but again I expected more from Campbell. 3/5

“The Hanged Man of Oz” by Steve Nagy
I read this in Datlow’s anthology The Cutting Room. A behind the scenes look at The Wizard of Oz concerning a hanged man and haunting dreams. Although I’m not familiar with the movie, I enjoyed the originality of
Kevin Lucia
It only took me a long time to read this because I got bogged down with Real Life stuff. Anyway, this was an excellent collection of stories, a contemporary counterpart to the Year's Best Horror under Karl Edward Wagner's run. And the bulk of the stories were quiet, atmospheric, and character driven. Definitely worth the while.
Shawn
Another long one - these are big books - but not as long as usual.

And so, with this volume, I achieved my goal of reading (or re-reading) and reviewing 3 previous volumes of THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF BEST NEW HORROR before reading the newest installment recently released. This approach, designed to retroactively shore up my reviews of the series while also allowing myself ample opportunity to sample at least one expert's opinion on the best crop of recent fiction in the genre (with an eye towards pluc
Chrystal Hays
Very nice collection with only a few stories that had low impact. "The White Hands" by Mark Samuels has a classic feel to it. Could have been written any time in the last 200 years and stood on its own.

"Bitter Grounds" by Neil Gaiman also very good. One would like for it to go on and on...

"Dancing Men" by Glen Hirschberg brings a rarely discussed incident from history into sharp focus. This would make it great reading for senior high school, but fussy parents would no doubt object to the horri
Alex Goiran
Yet another fine collection from The Mammoth Book. As a horror fan, it is hard to find well-written horror that is truly scary. Of course, there are the classics such as The Exorcist and Ghost Story. But in pinch, these stories can satiate a hunger for horror.
Jess
VERY good. This is definitely my favorite series of short-story collections, and this one in particular is great. "Hunger: A Confession" is hands-down one of the best horror stories I've ever read. "Kissing Carrion" and "The White Hands" are also great.
Pam
Sep 01, 2007 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans
You won't like every story in every anthology, but nobody picks them better than Stephen Jones, except maybe Ellen Datlow in her Year's Best Fantasy and Horror collections. These books are a bargain, and the cover art alone is usually worth the price.
Malloryk0422
There were some VERY strange stories in here, this time. Some kept me up at night, and some just gave me body chills (The bone machine). There were a couple good ghost stories that Im a sucker for. All in all a good quick read.
Dystopian
I do not scare easily. In fact, it is very hard to scare me, but the short story "The Goat Cutter" in this anthology did it. Worth reading for that story alone...simply an amazing short story.
bluetyson
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror: v. 15 (2004)
Francis Vice jr
Francis Vice jr marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Syco
Syco marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Sessan
Sessan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Little
Little marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Brian Tasler
Brian Tasler marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2015
Chris Kmetz
Chris Kmetz marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2011 Edition
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones...

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Best New Horror 1 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #1)
  • Best New Horror 2 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #2)
  • Best New Horror 3 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #3)
  • Best New Horror 4 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #4)
  • Best New Horror 5 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #5)
  • Best New Horror 6 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #6)
  • Best New Horror 7 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #7)
  • Best New Horror 8 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #8)
  • Best New Horror 9 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #9)
  • Best New Horror 10 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #10)
Shadows over Innsmouth Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1) H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror The Art of Coraline

“But I can't help thinking about the graves I saw on this summer's trip, and the millions of people in them, and the millions more without graves. The ones who are smoke.

And I find that I can feel it, at last. Or that I've always felt it, without knowing what it was: the Holocaust, roaring down the generations like a wave of radiation, eradicating, in everyone it touches, the ability to trust people, experience joy; fall in love, believe in love when you see it in others.

("Dancing Men")”
1 likes
“I believe,' Muswell once said, 'that mental isolation is the essence of weird fiction. Isolation when confronted with disease, with madness, with horror and with death. These are the reverberations of the infinity that torments us.

("The White Hands")”