Start by marking “A Face in the Rock: The Tale of a Grand Island Chippewa” as Want to Read:
A Face in the Rock: The Tale of a Grand Island Chippewa

A Face in the Rock: The Tale of a Grand Island Chippewa

Eight miles long and four miles wide, Grand Island lies off the south shore of Lake Superior. It was once home to a sizable community of Chippewa Indians who lived in harmony with the land and with each other. Their tragic demise began early in the nineteenth century when their fellow tribesmen from the mainland goaded them into waging war against rival Sioux. The war part ...more
Paperback
Published August 10th 1998 by University of California Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Face in the Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Face in the Rock

William
Oct 14, 2011 William rated it really liked it
This was an interesting historical account of the original Indian inhabitants of Grand Island in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. A Face in the Rock is more meaningful for those who have made the trip to this beautiful island. The water is crystal clear and the lack of tourists are surprising. Kyle and I actually took a kayaking trip to near by Pictured Rocks which provides breath-taking sites all along the coast of Lake Superior. If you are interested in the outdoors or just love to go to the beach ...more
Donnell
May 23, 2014 Donnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Such a great story! So glad its been told. Fascinating to think that perhaps one of the most beautiful, untouched by man, places left in the continental USA has a recorded human history that dates back to the 17th century and yet is so simple and understandable.

I especially liked the way a Grand Island secret ends up in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Hiawatha and then comes back to Gand Island. Who needs the Internet to get one's message blared to the masses?
Pam
Jan 16, 2009 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spare, beautiful history of the Grand Island Objibwa. Very well-written and sensitive for a local history.
Megan
Mar 07, 2008 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are going to Grand Island this summer. Slowly learning the history of my adopted state.
A non-fiction book, sort of.

I was studying the Ojibwe of Wisconsin and came across this book.
It tells the story of a peaceful band who lived on Grand Island off the coast of upper Michigan.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for my middle school students because of the breadth of time covered. The connections that the author makes between past and present day island events I found very interesting, however.

There actually is a face carved into the rock at a small county park near Au Train, MI. A
Gwen
Jun 19, 2016 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great historical fiction about the Chippewa of Grand Island, Michigan. The author researched the facts well and was presented an appealing novel based on the life of one man.
Kira
Mar 23, 2016 Kira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a resident of the Upper Peninsula I am thankful this story has been told. My hope is that many people will read it and know of a quiet and loving people who resided here.
Adam Wells
Jul 05, 2013 Adam Wells rated it really liked it
The excitement of the story peaks early but I enjoyed it all the same and put historical context to a region I love.
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern
Anomalocaris
Anomalocaris rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2016
Sir
Sir marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Debbie Conrad
Debbie Conrad marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Susan Puska
Susan Puska marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Jimmie Lee Johnson
Jimmie Lee Johnson rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Debra Grimm
Debra Grimm rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Tony Lay
Tony Lay marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Lauren Wierenga
Lauren Wierenga marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Judy Benishek
Judy Benishek marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Suze
Suze rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Chelsea Rager
Chelsea Rager marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Joshua Bonno
Joshua Bonno rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Jason Hogan
Jason Hogan rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Loren R. Graham is Professor Emeritus of History of Science in MIT's Program in Science, Technology and Society. Professor Graham received his Ph.D. from Columbia University, and a Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) from Purdue University in 1986. Professor Graham specializes in the history of science and the study of contemporary science and technology in Russia. His Science, Philosophy, and Human ...more
More about Loren R. Graham...