Start by marking “Home-Making” as Want to Read:
Home-Making

Home-Making

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Don't let the title fool you. This is not just a book for women who keep home. Home-Making is an uncompromising vision statement for the domestic bliss and cultural dominion of the Christian family. The message of Home-Making is powerful: "Sisters, Brothers, Husbands, Wives -- Home life is meant to be beautiful, ennobling, and victorious!" God intends for each person, from ...more
Published December 11th 2001 by The Vision Forum, Inc. (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about Home-Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home-Making

Rick Davis
The Family is a book on, what else, the family by J. R. Miller, a pastor in the late 1800s. The book is arranged to highlight the various duties and roles of each member of a Christian family and to give a vision of what a biblical family ought to be. Various chapters focus on the husband, the wife, parents, children, and siblings. Each chapter is full of poetry, hymns, anecdotes, and parables to illustrate his points.

Overall, Miller does a great job of painting a beautiful picture of the family
Lacie
This book beautifully describes the anatomy of the Christian home. Each chapter is filled with nuggets of wisdom for all members of the family. Chapter titles are “The Wedded Life”, “The Husband’s Part”, “The Wife’s Part”, “The Parent’s Part”, “The Children’s Part”, “Brothers and Sisters”, “The Home-Life”, “Religion in the Home” and “Home Memories”.

“But what is it that makes a home a Christian home? What is home religion? These questions are important enough for most thoughtful consideration. T
Brittany
Excellent book-- every person should read it. I thought bc the title was called home-making that it was just for women..but this book is for both men and women-- encouraging them to make their home a place where Christ dwells.
DD
Such a good read if you are striving to have a godly family. This is a book worth reading once a year. It is encouraging and convicting, what today's families truly need to reading.
Melissa
I finally finished reading The Family by J. R. Miller! It was excellent, and one I will probably read several times throughout my life. With poetic sensitivities, the author writes on the roles of husbands, wives, parents, children, brothers and sisters, and additionally touches on the wedded life, the home-life, religion in the home, and home memories. Here are just a few quotes--the whole book is almost equally as worthy. Though some of it is possibly seen through rosy-tinted glasses, should n ...more
Inder
Update - I still haven't finished this book, and I might not, ever. But I did read another couple chapters, including the one on surviving hard times with your family in tact, and it was all so moving, and so true. I got all choked up, thinking about how difficult life could be 150 years ago. Death was common, even depressingly familiar, to Victorian families. (Okay, I cry during commercials, so this probably doesn't say much, but I shed a few tears.) Anyway, this cemented what I was trying to a ...more
Ross Leavitt
Reading this book is like visiting a home that, though yet imperfect, is full of love and joy. Those of us who have experienced this singular blessing with a real family know that it at once it warms the heart and convicts the spirit of the many ways we undermine the spirit of love and joy in our own homes with our thoughtlessness. Miller must have experienced it himself, for his description of a godly family life is vivid and absolutely beautiful.

He has a recurring message which we've all hear
Becky Pliego
Reading this book is like looking at a perfect painting of the Christian family in a beautiful museum. Miller (1880's) describes in detail how does the Christian family should live and it really makes you want to live like that.

However, as you look closer into "the painting," you find that Miller did not address the most important thing that makes living this kind of life possible: The Gospel. There is no mention of sin and redemption, so if this is the only book one reads on how to live a godl
Nickie
Written in 1882, this novel is for the whole family. Each member holds responsibility to develop positive relationships. To build trust and love throughout life. I was especially appreciative of the advice for brothers and sisters in the development of lasting bonds of sibling respect and love. Something I really feel I missed growing up and now in my later years.
One thing I did different with this book was to use the ideas of Dr. Oliver DeMille. I didn't exactly follow his way I adapted his way
Shannon
I expected this to be a book aimed at a woman's role in the home. What a surprise. It covers everything from marriage to brother-sister relationships to parenting, to general atmosphere. It's a beatiful book addressing the topic of establishing and creating a pleasant, godly home. There are aspects of home life that many of us never think to be purposeful about. I may not have agreed with everything, but much good and inspiration is contained in its pages. As a daughter at home, I found work for ...more
Danelle Kilpatrick
Excellent book! I am so glad I have this on our shelves! I will be highly recommending it to the girls when they start their journey of home-making! I especially love the chapter on religion in the home!
Melissa Nichols
I love the ideas in this book...a reminder of what is really important in life and your family role. A little old fashioned in the way it is written....kind of wordy and hard to follow once in a while.
Nikki
I would say this is a must read if you are part of a family. This is NOT just for mothers!! What should a home look like? What does each family member contribute to the home? Wonderful book.
Muni
A superb book which speaks many home truths. It reads almost like poetry at times and really really makes you think about what is marriage, family and priorities in life.
Robertandjennie Scherer
Inspiring, thought provoking,convicting, beautiful and not just for women, which is why they changed the title to The Family.
Rmae
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Nothing outlines how a family can and should work together as concisely or beautifully.
Leslie
Feb 04, 2008 Leslie marked it as to-read
I ordered this from vision forum. It looks really good.
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Cm
Cm marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Karri
Karri marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ladyelane
Ladyelane marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Nana
Nana added it
Nov 26, 2014
Brittany Tucker
Brittany Tucker marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • So Much More
  • Praise Her in the Gates
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • On Asking God Why: And Other Reflections on Trusting God in a Twisted World
  • By This Standard: The Authority of God's Law Today
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • The Institutes of Biblical Law (Volume One)
  • Beautiful Girlhood
James Russell Miller (March 20, 1840 – July 2, 1912) was a popular Christian author, Editorial Superintendent of the Presbyterian Board of Publication, and pastor of several churches in Pennsylvania and Illinois.

J.R. Miller was born near Frankfort Springs, Pennsylvania, on the banks of the Big Traverse, which according to his biographer, John T. Faris, is a merry little mill stream which drains on
More about James Russell Miller...
Skyscrapers Hide the Heavens- Shingwauks Vision Come ye apart: Daily Bible readings in the life of Christ The Home Beautiful Compact, Contract, Covenant: Aboriginal Treaty-Making in Canada

“The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies.” 34 likes