Start by marking “Home-Making” as Want to Read:
Home-Making

Home-Making

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Don't let the title fool you. This is not just a book for women who keep home. Home-Making is an uncompromising vision statement for the domestic bliss and cultural dominion of the Christian family. The message of Home-Making is powerful: "Sisters, Brothers, Husbands, Wives -- Home life is meant to be beautiful, ennobling, and victorious!" God intends for each person, from ...more
Published December 11th 2001 by The Vision Forum, Inc. (first published 1882)

To ask other readers questions about Home-Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home-Making

Rachel
Feb 16, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Every once in a rare while, I see or hear or read something so beautiful that my heart cannot accommodate it's loveliness and the experience becomes almost painful. C.S. Lewis once said, “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” This book exemplified that hopeful yearning for me utterly. I have been married for over 25 years and my family is half-way "raised", but reading this traditional, Ut ...more
Rick Davis
Jan 12, 2011 Rick Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-theology
The Family is a book on, what else, the family by J. R. Miller, a pastor in the late 1800s. The book is arranged to highlight the various duties and roles of each member of a Christian family and to give a vision of what a biblical family ought to be. Various chapters focus on the husband, the wife, parents, children, and siblings. Each chapter is full of poetry, hymns, anecdotes, and parables to illustrate his points.

Overall, Miller does a great job of painting a beautiful picture of the family
Lacie
This book beautifully describes the anatomy of the Christian home. Each chapter is filled with nuggets of wisdom for all members of the family. Chapter titles are “The Wedded Life”, “The Husband’s Part”, “The Wife’s Part”, “The Parent’s Part”, “The Children’s Part”, “Brothers and Sisters”, “The Home-Life”, “Religion in the Home” and “Home Memories”.

“But what is it that makes a home a Christian home? What is home religion? These questions are important enough for most thoughtful consideration. T
Brittany
Mar 17, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Excellent book-- every person should read it. I thought bc the title was called home-making that it was just for women..but this book is for both men and women-- encouraging them to make their home a place where Christ dwells.
DD
Jul 25, 2014 DD rated it it was amazing
Such a good read if you are striving to have a godly family. This is a book worth reading once a year. It is encouraging and convicting, what today's families truly need to reading.
Beth
Nov 03, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Previously called "Home-Making," and changed to "The Family," this book encompasses the two titles combined. It lays out in lovely words how each member of the household plays a special role in the harmony and affability of a loving, Christian home. Above all, I would say it's devotional in style. The practical application would have to come about by the individual's own conviction and specific circumstances. There is less on the mundane requirements and more on the inward fixtures; attitude, te ...more
Melissa
I finally finished reading The Family by J. R. Miller! It was excellent, and one I will probably read several times throughout my life. With poetic sensitivities, the author writes on the roles of husbands, wives, parents, children, brothers and sisters, and additionally touches on the wedded life, the home-life, religion in the home, and home memories. Here are just a few quotes--the whole book is almost equally as worthy. Though some of it is possibly seen through rosy-tinted glasses, should n ...more
Inder
Update - I still haven't finished this book, and I might not, ever. But I did read another couple chapters, including the one on surviving hard times with your family in tact, and it was all so moving, and so true. I got all choked up, thinking about how difficult life could be 150 years ago. Death was common, even depressingly familiar, to Victorian families. (Okay, I cry during commercials, so this probably doesn't say much, but I shed a few tears.) Anyway, this cemented what I was trying to a ...more
Ross Leavitt
Dec 10, 2014 Ross Leavitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, family
Reading this book is like visiting a home that, though yet imperfect, is full of love and joy. Those of us who have experienced this singular blessing with a real family know that it at once it warms the heart and convicts the spirit of the many ways we undermine the spirit of love and joy in our own homes with our thoughtlessness. Miller must have experienced it himself, for his description of a godly family life is vivid and absolutely beautiful.

He has a recurring message which we've all hear
Serenity
Jan 17, 2016 Serenity rated it liked it
This was a book I had to read for a college ladies class. I did find some good truths in the book, but found the language and style hard to enjoy. Some of his ideas were dated...but some were very relevant. Not a bad read, but certainly not for everyone!
Becky Pliego
Reading this book is like looking at a perfect painting of the Christian family in a beautiful museum. Miller (1880's) describes in detail how does the Christian family should live and it really makes you want to live like that.

However, as you look closer into "the painting," you find that Miller did not address the most important thing that makes living this kind of life possible: The Gospel. There is no mention of sin and redemption, so if this is the only book one reads on how to live a godl
Nickie
May 18, 2008 Nickie rated it liked it
Written in 1882, this novel is for the whole family. Each member holds responsibility to develop positive relationships. To build trust and love throughout life. I was especially appreciative of the advice for brothers and sisters in the development of lasting bonds of sibling respect and love. Something I really feel I missed growing up and now in my later years.
One thing I did different with this book was to use the ideas of Dr. Oliver DeMille. I didn't exactly follow his way I adapted his way
Shannon
May 01, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
I expected this to be a book aimed at a woman's role in the home. What a surprise. It covers everything from marriage to brother-sister relationships to parenting, to general atmosphere. It's a beatiful book addressing the topic of establishing and creating a pleasant, godly home. There are aspects of home life that many of us never think to be purposeful about. I may not have agreed with everything, but much good and inspiration is contained in its pages. As a daughter at home, I found work for ...more
Karen
Jun 09, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-room
I picked this up at a yard sale, expecting merely an interesting read (particularly since it was first published in 1882). Instead, what a found was a timeless treasure of Christian home-making principles. Reader, you will not find in its pages tips and advice regarding household chores, but you will find encouragement, poetry and advice on establishing a home that is centered upon Christ. I adore this book!
Jen
Jun 16, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for staying home and loving my husband and shepherding these kiddos' hearts. Loved it.
Joshua Horn
Jul 01, 2016 Joshua Horn rated it liked it
J. R. Miller gives a beautifully written picture of biblical home life. Don't be fooled by the title. It's not just about how wives are home makers, it covers many aspects of family life - marriage, children, siblings, etc.

This book is not so much of a theological tome or book of exhortation, as a book that just shows the beauty of the Christian life. Part of that, that really help me much, were very frequent quotations of poetry.
Danelle Kilpatrick
Jan 01, 2015 Danelle Kilpatrick rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I am so glad I have this on our shelves! I will be highly recommending it to the girls when they start their journey of home-making! I especially love the chapter on religion in the home!
Melissa Nichols
Nov 05, 2012 Melissa Nichols rated it it was amazing
I love the ideas in this book...a reminder of what is really important in life and your family role. A little old fashioned in the way it is written....kind of wordy and hard to follow once in a while.
Nikki
Sep 06, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing
I would say this is a must read if you are part of a family. This is NOT just for mothers!! What should a home look like? What does each family member contribute to the home? Wonderful book.
Muni
Aug 29, 2014 Muni rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
A superb book which speaks many home truths. It reads almost like poetry at times and really really makes you think about what is marriage, family and priorities in life.
Robertandjennie Scherer
Jul 12, 2013 Robertandjennie Scherer rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, thought provoking,convicting, beautiful and not just for women, which is why they changed the title to The Family.
Rmae
Oct 28, 2010 Rmae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Nothing outlines how a family can and should work together as concisely or beautifully.
Joshua Blair
Feb 17, 2016 Joshua Blair rated it really liked it
One of the most beautiful, inspiring books on family life I've read.
Leslie
May 28, 2016 Leslie added it
I ordered this from vision forum. It looks really good.
AndyAngelia
Dec 29, 2014 AndyAngelia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angelia-s
A must read!
Gabriela Morales
Gabriela Morales marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kerry Higgins
Kerry Higgins marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Dianna Fridye
Dianna Fridye rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Connie R
Connie R marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Praise Her in the Gates
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • So Much More
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter
  • On Asking God Why: And Other Reflections on Trusting God in a Twisted World
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
  • Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others
  • Peacemaking for Families
James Russell Miller (March 20, 1840 – July 2, 1912) was a popular Christian author, Editorial Superintendent of the Presbyterian Board of Publication, and pastor of several churches in Pennsylvania and Illinois.

J.R. Miller was born near Frankfort Springs, Pennsylvania, on the banks of the Big Traverse, which according to his biographer, John T. Faris, is a merry little mill stream which drains on
More about J.R. Miller...

“The woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies.” 43 likes