Start by marking “Slam!: A Tale of Consequences” as Want to Read:
Slam!: A Tale of Consequences

Slam!: A Tale of Consequences

“Don’t slam the door!” pleads a parent as a boy and his dog head out to run an errand, but the distracted boy doesn't hear. What follows is a fantastical calamity of epic and silly proportions, all thanks to a slammed door that dislodges a red ball. As the ball bounces through the neighborhood, it unleashes an escalating series of slapstick events that involve animals and ...more
Published March 18th 2014 by Owlkids Books (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Slam!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slam!

Cara
Mar 19, 2014 Cara rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The pictures were fun, but the story is a little hard to follow.
Esther Adler
Apr 10, 2014 Esther Adler rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I am a speech therapist and this book is great for therapy. It elicits awesome conversations and sequencing. There are so many great details and we dont have to get stuck reading the words.
Maureen
Sep 09, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it
The negative reviews of this book puzzled me until I read through a few of them. Most of the negative comments revolve around the age level for which this book is intended. As other reviewers point out, although a picture book this is not really a book intended for young readers and it is not ideal as a book to read for a group. Read in the right context, this is an awesome book!

This mostly wordless book relies on the illustrations far more than any text. I re-read this book three times and foun
Nicole
Feb 24, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
My personal reaction of this book was the illustrations were the focal point. For example, minimal dialogue, one word at a time in caps to show significance. Go back and read three times you will find more details every time.

The purpose of this book would be for independent reading for enrichment purposes. This would be a good read for K-1. It would be great in the classroom to show the consequences of ones actions and how it effects different people. The illustrations do a good job of correspo
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 08, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
A boy's walk to the store is depicted with chaos surrounding him (which he is oblivious to) that all started when he slammed the front door. Some of the events that take place are pretty ridiculous, though it's kind of fun to see the dragon and the aliens show up. Also, the use of onomatopoeia and a few limited lines of dialogue puts it in this weird space where it isn't actually a wordless picture book (which might have worked better), but there's no text narration so it's impossible to read as ...more
Kalynda
I picked up this book thinking it would be a good classroom read, but the consequences that happen here in this wordless book are unrealistic, so the title is both good and also misleading. Granted I could have opened it up and quickly seen that, but for some reason I don't often do that...I rather wait to open my picture book surprise/gift when I get home. For a wordless book, it is very creative and colorful (and also timely, since the main character has traits many young students ...more
Maggie Burgess
Jan 30, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it did not like it
I didn't like this one. It's a cute idea, don't get me wrong... And the pictures have a lot going on- I think kids might find them silly and giggle. Definitely not trying to insult the author/illustrator with my rating... I just personally don't like it. I think the pictures have too much going on for my students, and while they will like some silly parts, it's too overwhelming to get the idea of natural consequences. This book could have been a great example of why we don't do certain things, ...more
Erin Buhr
Feb 01, 2016 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable tale about the consequences of slamming a door. "Don't slam the door!" is a common reminder to kids everywhere and this book takes the potential consequences to comical proportions. A little boy heads outside for a walk with his dog to the candy store. Unfortunately, he forgets to not slam the door and sets off a chain event of outlandish consequences. This mostly wordless book relies on dramatic illustrations to carry the hilarious story from door to door. A laugh out ...more
Barbara
May 26, 2014 Barbara rated it it was ok
When a boy ignores his parent's admonition not to slam the door, a red ball falls from the roof, and sets off a series of accidents. Things go from bad to worse, and there are accidents that occur as the result of his carelessness. Yet, through it all, the boy remains blissfully aware of what has happened. All he knows at the end of the day is that his once-lost red ball has suddenly reappeared. A simpler and easier-to-follow version of the same sort of story detailing a series of consequences ...more
Mary
Nov 06, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
A boy slams his front door when he goes out for a walk. He has headphones on and is reading the comics so he doesn't see all of the cumulative chaos that he has left in his wake. There's a lot to see in the pictures so readers will end up going back again and again to see everything that's going on. It'll be a great book to use in a classroom to get kids thinking about cause and effect, creative writing, storytelling, etc.
Melissa
Sep 04, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
We checked this one out from the library. It's on of the few books my kids have begged me to buy. It IS nearly wordless, but that leaves lots of room for each to narrate their own version of it. I agree that it's wonderful for teaching sequencing, paying attention to detail, and encouraging imagination. It has just enough repetition to hold the children's interest!
I think the reviews are from people who can't appreciate a book without words. :/
Kirsten
May 28, 2014 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Summary:
Don’t slam the door!” pleads a parent as a boy and his dog head out to run an errand, but the distracted boy doesn't hear. What follows is a fantastical calamity of epic and very much silly proportions,

It would be really difficult to use this book for story time with a group. Even a small group. There is only dialogue on one page. Its just not what I thought it was going to be.
Samantha
Mar 24, 2014 Samantha rated it it was ok
A nearly wordless picture book that features an ever increasingly chaotic story that is ignited by a boy slamming the door shut behind him.

Artwork is detailed which gives young readers plenty to discover upon multiple rereads. I like the premise, though this story was a little hard to follow. PreK-2.
Christine Turner
Nov 25, 2014 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: sounds
Summary: A heedless little boy and his dog slam the door as they run out to complete an errand, unknowingly dislodging a red ball that bounces through the neighborhood and triggers an escalating series of mishaps.
Subject:
Accidents -- Juvenile fiction

Note: This book would be best shared one on one.
Scott
Apr 26, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found this to be very engaging. Lots of little details you can follow through the pages provide great opportunities to engage kids in conversations about what's going on, rather than just reading at them.
Beverly
Jan 25, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Very funny, virtually wordless story (most of the text is just sound words) of a young boy who slams a door, which causes a cascade of chaos, of which the boy, with head phones in his ears, is totally oblivious.
Heydi Smith
Jun 25, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it really liked it
A fantastic book for older kids. Wow all the fun stuff that happens just from a ball falling. So fantastic.

Great for storytimes about consequences or wordless books or balls or the color red or dogs or cats.
The Book Box
Feb 01, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me yesterday. We didn't realize it was a (basically) wordless picture book, so she pointed out things happening in each picture, and I pointed out the puppy.
Carol
This nearly wordless picture book does a good job of showing cause-and-effect through illustration. However sometimes there was almost too much going on making the story hard to follow.
Ama
The text mostly consists of sound words. A great book for a variety of ages with so much to see in the illustrations. Pair with Because I Stubbed my Toe by Shawn Byous.
Nathalie Wargo
May 12, 2014 Nathalie Wargo rated it it was ok
It's not really a tale of consequences if the boy has no idea what he did nor is required to address the mess he made, now is it?
Eva Kelly
Aug 26, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
This is funny with great pictures and only a few words so it's easy. And the lesson is "don't slam the door when you're wearing your ipod!!!"
Brindi
May 07, 2014 Brindi rated it liked it
this book was a little more far-fetched than I expected. quite busy, so better for one-on-one sharing. i think it's best for the older kids.
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2014
Amy Holley
Amy Holley rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Adam completed a BA in Illustration at Norwich and an MA in Narrative Illustration at Brighton where he now lives and works. Adam is now represented by Arena agency.

Adam has a passion for drawing and a great love of traditional illustration. He specialises in fiction for children, editorial, character development and product design.

from http://www.worldofadam.com/main.htm
More about Adam Stower...