Start by marking “Is Nothing Something?: Kids' Questions and Zen Answers About Life, Death, Family, Friendship, and Everything in Between” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In Is Nothing Something? Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh answers heartfelt, difficult, and funny questions from children of all ages. Illustrated with original full-color artwork by Jessica McClure, Is Nothing Something? will help adults plant the seeds of mindfulness in the young children in their lives. Beginning with the most basic questions, “What is important in life?” and ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Plum Blossom Books (first published March 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Is Nothing Something?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Nothing Something?

Brian
Apr 10, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: mysticism, childrens
Thay's guidance is wonderful as always, and it's a refreshing angle to read his responses to real questions children have asked him. But it's hard to tell what age group this book is targeted at. The text is advanced enough for 8-11 year olds, but the illustrations seem geared toward a much younger age bracket that would have trouble with the reading.

The southeast Asian water buffalo in the illustrations was a nice touch, and a few of the images were topically relevant. This might've been pushed
Jenny H.
Apr 08, 2014 Jenny H. rated it it was amazing
Is Nothing Something? is a book filled with kids' questions and the sage answers from Thich Nhat Hanh about life, death, family, friendship, and so many other topics. Each page has a simple question, many of which my daughter asks on a regular basis, and a short answer. The answers are based on Buddhist principles and beliefs; however they are spoken without judgement and from a place of love. While the answers are geared towards a child, they are presented in a way that neither talks down to th ...more
Angie
Jan 11, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
When I saw this book I knew I had to read it even though it's for kids. This book had such adorable drawings in it and sometimes I think it's refreshing to look at things from the angle of a child. The answers in this book are also things that can help adults; basics just written here in simple wording. Thich Nhat Hanh is also just wonderful and I plan on reading his answer book for adults once the library gets in a copy. This adorable little book made me smile.
Joan
Jul 07, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this kids' philosophy book. It asks tough questions and puts the answers into short answers that are easy to understand by kids and adults. This is a nice quick read, but also a great book to reference over and over again to remind ourselves how to live mindfully.
Meghan Douglas
Is Nothing Something? offers thoughtful answers from a Zen monk to children's questions about life, the universe and everything. It could also act as an introduction to key Buddhist beliefs and worldview. A lovely reference book for older primary school children and younger teenagers.
Pegs
Jun 12, 2016 Pegs rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read one of this author's books for a while and I enjoyed it. While it was written for children/young readers, the questions and answers are deep and serve as a good intro to his teachings on mindfulness. I would read more of this works.
Riobhcah
Jul 04, 2014 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen, thich-nhat-hanh
What a wonderful book. Thay always as a wonderous and meaningful way to explain the interconnectedness of all. What a blessing it is to live in this time when we can learn from this excellent Zen master.
Desiree
Aug 14, 2015 Desiree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidz-bookz
Lovely introduction to Zen thinking & applicable to *ALL* ages. Definitely a breath of fresh air that can be read easily during a lunch break :)
Ninotchka
May 18, 2014 Ninotchka rated it really liked it
Really sweet book! My girls are really enjoying it. Beautifully designed and great message.
Linda Deir
Oct 01, 2014 Linda Deir rated it really liked it
Real answers for kids and adults.
Klyon
Jan 09, 2015 Klyon rated it really liked it
good class starter
Amanda Allgood
Jul 28, 2015 Amanda Allgood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool-read
Deep questions with insightful answers. A great book for children with curious minds.
Avliss
Apr 12, 2016 Avliss rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a pretty good book. The illustrations were my awesome, and the way that Thích Nhất Hạnh responded to each question was thoughtful and engaging (even for adults!).
DeeAnn Robinson
DeeAnn Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Laurie Hamame
Laurie Hamame marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Renae
Renae marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
LanAnh  Hoang
LanAnh Hoang marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
chelka
chelka rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Alaina Kozma
Alaina Kozma rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Janet White
Janet White marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Megan C
Megan C rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
  • Destroying the Joint: Why Women Have to Change the World
  • The Goblin and the Empty Chair
  • Little Elephants
  • I Am Yoga
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • The Storm Whale
  • Anh's Anger
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • Meet Polkadot (Polkadot, #1)
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...