Start by marking “Why Earls Fall in Love” as Want to Read:
Why Earls Fall in Love

Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows #2)

Society often makes strange bedfellows—and even more surprising betrothals...

IS IT A REASON FOR ROMANCE?
In Why Earls Fall in Love by Manda Collins, young widowed Georgina Mowbray is settling into her role as Lady Russell's companion quite well—until the lady's nephew Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, arrives in Bath for a visit. Georgie's always found him shallow and too smo
Published January 28th 2014 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Why Earls Fall in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Earls Fall in Love

Susanne
Manda Collins is such a winner for me! I adore all her books and they are consistently very sweet and likable. Can't wait for the next one!
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Jun 27, 2013 Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Wicked Widows series from Manda Collins.

The series centres on sisters, Isabella and Perdita, and their friend, Georgina… all widows of abusive husbands. They share a terrible secret concerning the death of Perdita’s husband, the Duke of Ormonde, but find themselves threatened by someone who obviously knows that secret and is out for revenge. The first book, Why Dukes Say I Do , told Isabella’s story and this is Georgina’s (Georgie’s) story.

“…he has nothing more
Claudia
Mar 31, 2014 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow, I liked this one even better than the first.

the characters here were a delight and I loved how their relationship developed. I loved that both had their insecurities but nevertheless were willing to work through it.
the mystery was quite nicely done and kept me on my toes.

this could have been a 5 stars read but I have to take half a star off because of the ending. it is rather disappointing that Mrs. collins is so short here.
it left me totally unsatisfied as I thought it was a rather short
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2) by Manda Collins
Manda Collins

Isabella, Perdita and Georgina were all in the room when Perdita's hubby, the cruel and evil Duke of Ormond, was shot and stabbed to death and, now over a year later, a evil unknown nemesis wants REVENGE for the Duke's untimely death!

Mrs. Georgina, Georgie, Mowbray married an Army man and, like her mother, followed her hubby from post to post. But unlike her mother, her hubby used cruel words, huge fists, belt, boots or anything handy, to abuse her with. Now that he is dead, she is
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

The widowed Mrs Georgina Mowbray is finding life as a ladies companion far preferable than the life she ever had as a wife to her brutish and new deceased husband. There are only two things disturbing her new life, one being the Earl of Coniston, Con, who is far to handsome and charming by far and seems determined to befriend her and two a dark secret that only she and her two closest friends are privy to. But Georgie and friends secret may not quite be as secret as they thought as they all get
My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE by Manda Collins is an exciting Regency Historical Romance. #2 in the "Wicked Widows" trilogy, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Why Dukes Say I Do". Fast paced filled with deception, passion,danger and love.

Meet Georgina Mowbray and Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, Lady Russell's nephew. Georgina is Lady Russell's companion as well as one of the Wicked Widow's.

A delightful tale of finding love, trust,acceptance and the power of love. You must check out Manda Collins'
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Rather than to point out outstanding elements from this novel, it is fairer to say that this story runs like well-oiled clockwork, every plot, character development in perfect harmony, executed flawlessly.

Full review to come...(eventually)
Esther Somorai
Feb 18, 2014 Esther Somorai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from St. Martin's Press through GoodReads, first-reads giveaway. Thank you.

What a Beautiful Cover. A really enjoyable, well-written, exciting, fast read. With a diverse cast of characters plus the story as presented kept me reading and guessing to the very end and beyond.
Janga
Jul 05, 2013 Janga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collins, who promises her readers “romance spiced with mystery,” has upped the stakes and the tension of the mystery element in Why Earls Fall in Love, and she manages to do so without sacrificing the centrality of the romance. In Georgina and Con, Collins creates likeable protagonists whose choices preserve the integrity of their characters. Georgina grew up with her father away with his military duties much of the time, a pattern that was repeated with her husband. She is accustomed to making ...more
Goldie
Manda Collins is back with Why Earls Fall in Love, the sequel to Why Dukes Say I Do, the first book in her Wicked Widows series. When I saw that Manda had a new book out, I immediately had to get it. I didn't realize until today out of her eight novels, I've already read five, and I'm pretty sure that number will still increase with her other future releases.

I enjoyed the first book so much and liked the romantic, albeit a bit predictable, pairings that I did not hesitate to read Why Earls Fall
Gerrie
Manda Collins is a polished author who writes well. The plot of this book, as well as the first book in this trilogy, was very well done. Collins definitely kept my interest in the mystery, and I look forward to its conclusion in the third book. I also liked the characters of both Con and Georgina, the hero and heroine. They were engaging and interesting, and their romance was believable. Further, this whole series shines a light on the plight of abused women. Women in regency England (as well a ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Love a good Historical...

This was a great installment in the series. I am a huge fan of Manda Collins style of writing. She comes across as intelligent and thorough in her research into the lives of people in previous times. In this series we are taught about women's rights in her household, especially when abuse is involved. Women were unable to fight back or even complain if there husbands were abusive and if they tried to leave, they were brought back to their owner...the husband.

This story r
Charlene
For some reason, I thought that Perdita's story would come second and that Georgina's would be last, so I was surprised when I began this second Wicked Widows novel. I also should mention that wicked really is not a descriptor for these unfortunate ladies who had all been abused by their now-deceased husbands.

Again, Manda Collins has written a book that managed to hold my attention and that has me actively waiting to read the third and last story in the series, to be released later this year. Fo
Tracy
Jun 11, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and it was a quick, well written read.

Con and Georgina were both good characters - but I felt like their "relationship" moved too fast. Georgie went from not liking Con and being uncomfortable around him to kissing and confiding in him within days. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. And let's not forget that Con had been betrothed to Georgie's best friend. A romance between these two was improbable at worst and highly unlikely at best.

As far as the my
amy
When I really think about it. I didn't like this historical romance novel. The historical part of a novel part of that genre is what makes it so enticing. However, many authors fail at connecting the history and romance enough in a concrete mesh that is both interesting and entertaining to read.

What I'm saying is that this book falls into the category of really boring historical novels that take forever to read. I'm sorry it just wasn't my type. I couldn't relate to Georgina or Coniston at all.
Kimia Safavi
Nov 27, 2013 Kimia Safavi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why Earls Fall in Love is a mystery historical romance, I couldn't guess who was the villain until the end of the book. The story was engaging with romance, mystery and threat. I like the way Mrs. Collin tell the story even I have not read the first in this series I could follow the story about three friends with their secrets. I am looking forward to read the next in this series and find out who is the villain. Thank you Mrs. Collins
Pirouette
Jan 06, 2014 Pirouette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Manda Collins's regency romances. Like the previous trilogy, the Why stories have a mystery to resolve, a love story and some good friends.

Manda's writing is light but well-crafted. The whodunnit part keeps us reading, without taking itself too seriously, and the whole book is a delight to read.
Gwen Hernandez
Jun 30, 2013 Gwen Hernandez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this installment of the Wicked Widows series. I keep thinking about the characters, wanting to pick up the book and then remembering that I've already finished it. WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE is a fabulous blend of intrigue, fun sexy times, and tender romance. Con and Georgina are perfect together. I'm anxiously awaiting book three.
Sarah Andre
Jun 04, 2013 Sarah Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this 2nd in a trilogy, featuring 3 friends who share a dark secret and are being blackmailed by someone. Chemistry and conflict between the Earl and Dowager's companion sizzled. As usual, Manda Collins reigns over all other historical writers (IMO) when it comes to alpha dialogue between male friends. Just a hoot! Highly suggested read!
Audrey
Jan 26, 2014 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful love story with a bit of mystery intertwined. A story of love overcoming status when the earl falls in love with the widow companion to his Aunt while trying to figure out who wants revenge on the widow. I could not put this down!!
Mainer207
I don't think the Widows series is this author's best work. I found this book tedious and not interesting. The main characters were fairly likeable but the situations seemed forced or made little sense. I struggled to finish this.
Jill James
Jul 10, 2015 Jill James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing read. Part romance, part mystery. Very gothic feel to it.
Cary
May 21, 2015 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 and the saga continues - different widow with different suitor trying to protect her. I liked it and love when characters from previous books come back.
Alisha
Jul 28, 2013 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to read about Perdita
Vasilena
Apr 21, 2015 Vasilena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care much for the whole plot but the style is absolutely superb and I find it really well built up. Thumbs up!
Maureen
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Allison
Book provided by NetGalley
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

“I know what you did last season.” Those words could normally be brushed off as rumor, unless you were involved in the death of the Duke of Ormond.

And since Georgie Mowbray pulled the trigger just as the abusive Duke was stabbed, the notes she’s been receiving a very disturbing. Her dear friend Perdita was being held at knifepoint by her horrible husband, so it was either kill or be killed. Georgie herself was t
Jessica
Manda Collins has always been a bit like macaroni and cheese to me- that comfortable thing you reach for when you know you want something you like.

Unfortunately, Why Earls Fall in Love fell short of that in my eyes. Not having read the first of the series, I jumped into this one and was pleasantly surprised that she did a decent job with catching up ignorant (or rebellious) readers. It was a great opening a) for its backstory and b) for its unadulterated drama.

Suffice it to say that the book too
Ann Marie
I found Why Earls Fall in Love to be more of a mystery than a romance and while I did truly enjoyed the continuation of the mystery from Why Dukes Say I Do, I was looking for a bit more romance between the hero and heroine. If I remember correctly there was only one sex scene. I would've definitely liked to see more between Georgie and Con.

I was also not a fan of Georgina at the beginning. She was a bit of snob. I did grow to like her more by the ending. I think the fresh country air did her a w
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 12:25PM
Q & A with Manda ...: You Choose the Cover for WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE! 7 10 Jun 12, 2013 12:54PM
  • Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals, #1)
  • The Greatest Lover Ever (The Westruthers, #2)
  • Must Love Dukes (Tricks of the Ton, #1)
  • Miss Molly Robbins Designs a Seduction (Sydney Dovedale, #4)
  • Have You Any Rogues? (Rhymes With Love, #2.5)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
  • One Rogue Too Many (Rival Rogues, #1)
  • A Wicked Pursuit (Breconridge Brothers, #1)
  • The Rogue Returns (Nottinghamshire, #3)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • What a Reckless Rogue Needs (The Sinful Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Secrets of a Scoundrel (The Inferno Club, #7)
  • The Wayward One (The de Montforte Brothers, #5)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregors, #3)
  • Between a Rake and a Hard Place (The Royal Rakes, #3)
  • A Taste for Scandal (Sealed With a Kiss, #2)
  • When the Rogue Returns (The Duke's Men, #2)
  • Slightly Wicked / Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
Manda Collins spent her teen years wishing she’d been born a couple of centuries earlier, preferably in the English countryside. Time travel being what it is, she resigned herself to life with electricity and indoor plumbing, and read lots of books. An affinity for books led to a graduate degree in English, followed by another in Librarianship. By day, she works as an academic librarian at a small ...more
More about Manda Collins...

Wicked Widows (4 books)
  • Why Dukes Say I Do (Wicked Widows, #1)
  • Why Lords Lose Their Hearts (Wicked Widows, #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Kiss