Start by marking “Caught in the Current: Searching for Simplicity in the Technological Age” as Want to Read:
Caught in the Current: Searching for Simplicity in the Technological Age

Caught in the Current: Searching for Simplicity in the Technological Age

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Science tells us what is. Technology tells us what can be. But neither can tell us what ought to be.

As a science and technology journalist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jay Bookman has witnessed some of the most remarkable and exciting advances in human history-supercomputers, cyborgs, genetic engineering. Like the rest of us, though, he has also watched as ever-mo
Published August 13th 2013 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Caught in the Current, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caught in the Current

Eric
This book was okay. It's already dated, in that he's writing about technology in 2004, and since then plenty of his worst fears have come true: everyone's walking around with computers in their hands 24/7. And we're not all that bad off for it. Still, it's a decent point the author makes about the physical disconnection that goes hand-in-hand with digital connection, and if you're looking for an armchair camping trip, the week the author spends camping and rafting is a pleasant experience.
Bruce Cline
As one reviewer noted the technology is a bit dated, but the idea are, for the most part, not. I don't agree will all the author's conclusions, but his ideas and the rafting story are both quite interesting.
Mauricio Ortega
Mauricio Ortega marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Sampathkumark
Sampathkumark marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Patrick Miller
Patrick Miller marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012