Start by marking “Under the Dog Star” as Want to Read:
Under the Dog Star

Under the Dog Star

it was amazing 5.0  ·  Rating Details ·  5 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
“UNDER THE DOG STAR is a powerful collection that takes us here and there, inside and out the mind of the poet, observing the struggle, pain and doubts no human escapes, watching the intelligence dancing in a circle of stones around an inner drain. This collection feels made in the nighttime where the poet has dared to face the demons for us, finding his way back via the ...more
Published July 25th 2013 by Hammer and Anvil books

To ask other readers questions about Under the Dog Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Dog Star

Mercedes
Sep 03, 2013 Mercedes rated it it was amazing
John Holland has written a collection of poems that to me are all about the heartland - that place inside us where we are all the same.

He describes the outer landscape with the same gentle realism that he sees the inner world, that place everyone recognizes because we've all been there.

He charts the links between us all - links to the land, to each other, to home. His language is simple and direct, and he has a gift for descriptive phrases that lock an image into your mind.

So, if you like poetr
Nia Simone
Aug 10, 2013 Nia Simone rated it it was amazing
John Holland has a clear, succinct style that I find highly accessible for poetry. This collection has a mix of humor, depression, death, the stars, the earth, the beginning of time, abuse, dreams, and aboriginal culture. Except for the last poem, they almost all have a twist at the end, which I always delight in. None of the poems is sentimental. They just make me see, think, hear, smell, feel and, in the last poem, called Wheels Within, soar through time and see the creation of the earth, our ...more
Monica Reents
Monica Reents rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2013
Nicci Carrera
Nicci Carrera rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
John Holland
Aug 26, 2014 John Holland rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marion Black
Marion Black marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
John Holland grew up in outback Australia. Living on cattle stations his father Jack Holland managed in Queensland, the Northern Territory and the Kimberley.

He has been a stockman, miner, road worker, speech writer/media officer for a Queensland state member of parliament and a newspaper columnist.

John now lives in Townsville, tropical North Queensland and writes full time.

Check out his website: h
More about John Holland...