Start by marking “Shoes” as Want to Read:
Shoes

Shoes

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Here are ‘shoes to skate in, shoes to skip in, shoes to turn a double flip in ’ . . . all worn by four tousle-headed active young children. ‘Illustrations keep all the action with the skippers, divers, and doers. Story hour groups will be checking out each other’s footwear after hearing this rollicking rhyming paean to shoes.’ —SLJ. A Reading Rainbow Selection
Children's Bo
Published February 23rd 1988 by HarperCollins (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoes

Kimberly
Until recently, I have not found many informational texts for young children other than large print, one word per page picture book. This one is a full sentence of vocabulary. It helps syntax understanding and teaches about shoes in a silly way.
Connie
This book features a variety of children showing various rhymed type of shoes - too low, too high, shoes to buckle, shoes to tie - until the very end, the best shoes of all, your bare feet.

Very cute, cute illustrations, cute text, short and simple enough for the youngest child - love it.

One problem. For a book published in the late 80s, there's not much in the way of diversity in this book. In fact, there isn't a single child (or adult) in the book that I could point to and positively say "That
Vivian
There are shoes to buckle, shoes to tie, shoes too low, and shoes too high.

You get the picture. Children will identify tennies, sandals, stilts, cleats, boots, slippers,flippers, skates and footwear of all descriptions. But best of all our their own bare feet.
Diane Emerling
Feb 19, 2013 Diane Emerling added it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Diane by: noone
My granddaughters favorite book when she was a toddler. She is 20 now and can still recite the book. I can't tell you how many times we read this book together as she sat in my lap, It brings back fond memories of her childhood.
Kathryn
Jun 29, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chandra and Abigail
Cute!!! A simple but fun poem about all the different kinds of shoes. The illustrations are total charmers. A Reading Rainbow Book and with good reason.
Lisa
My youngest son loved this book and it's one of the few I kept over the years. He's now 19 years old and he still smiles when I read it to him.
Kristina Arnold
This is a very simple book but a great poem book when trying to teach children to make words at the end rhyme.
Sharlene Spencer
Shoes come in many different sizes and for many different occasions. What's your favorite kind of shoe?
Beth
I loved the cadence of this book when I was small - and still do. Plus the pictures are great.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: J

NOT AVAILABLE

Cute book about all different kinds of shoes you can wear.
Liz
Although Rose really enjoys this book! Maybe because it's about one of her favorite things :)
Dolly
Mar 24, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Simple, short narrative and colorful illustrations make this a good book for beginning readers.
Bethany Kieffer
I love using this to teach about phonemic awareness-rhyming with my first graders.
Amy
Reading Rainbow: A Three Hat Day
We enjoyed this and Bea was happy to help read it.
Stephanie
Really cute little book with great illustrations.
Erica
Cute book about all different kinds of shoes you can wear.
Heather
Quite the enjoyable read, very cute.
Buxmont Uu
Sep 21, 2013 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: bcfl, cmmw
CMMW 3
Monica
Monica added it
Apr 20, 2015
Cailie Libby
Cailie Libby marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Lyndsey Miller
Lyndsey Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Small Wonders
Small Wonders marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Jennifer Gilbert
Jennifer Gilbert marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Judyann Dagdag
Judyann Dagdag marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, with illustrations by Amanda Haley was published by Holiday House. TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, will be released by Two Lions/Amazon in 2015.

Writing as Elizabeth Winthrop Alsop, she has just published an ebook memoir piece en
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...
The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1) The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2) Counting on Grace Dumpy La Rue Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale