Start by marking “My Dog Never Says Please” as Want to Read:
My Dog Never Says Please

My Dog Never Says Please

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Spunky Ginny Mae can't be bothered with trivial things like manners and politeness-she'd rather run around barefoot and eat without silverware like her dog, Ol' Red. So, in a hilarious turn of events, Ginny Mae decides to join Ol' Red out in the doghouse. But after a few hours of communing with her canine companion, she learns that a dog's life isn't all it's cracked up to ...more
Paperback
Published July 1st 2000 by Puffin (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Dog Never Says Please, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dog Never Says Please

Katlin Sims
Jul 12, 2013 Katlin Sims rated it really liked it
Shelves: behavior
This book is so cute and a great funny story about manners. Ginny Mae wants to live like her dog, Ol' Red, and not be bothered with manners and doing what her parents say. In an effort to ride herself of rules, Ginny Mae embarks upon an adventure to live life like a dog - even if only for a day. A great activity to do with this would be to make a chart with "good manners for dogs" and "good manners for people" and ask each child to contribute on good manner for people or dogs.
Kay Mcgriff
Jul 14, 2015 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it
This book elicited lots of giggles as we read it together. Ginny Mae is tired of being told what to do. She has to remember to say please, use her best manners at dinner (chew with her mouth closed and use her napkin), clean her room, put on shoes. Through it all, her pesky little brother Jack points out that he does all these things. She also looks enviously at her dog Red, who doesn’t have to do any of these things. Why couldn’t she be a dog? Ginnie Mae gets her wish and moves into the yard wi ...more
Lily
Jan 28, 2016 Lily rated it really liked it
This book was easy to read and understand. It was funny too while teaching about manners. The little girl in the story has no manners and throughout the book her parents correct her. This reminded me of myself when I was really little, my parents were always correcting me and teaching me manners. Having good manners is a life skill. Having a children's book that teaches it is very beneficial and can help children start learning at a young age about the importance of manners.
Caitlin Barclay
This book is another example of writing how we talk. The author shares with us the setting by including the Southern accent that the characters have. The southern accent also adds to the humor of this persuasive story. Although the dog is a dog, I think that most students would connect to this story due to the fact that their life is rules by rules!This is a great way to introduce persuasive writing and also the idea of manners and why dogs don't have them!
Sheri
Jan 23, 2011 Sheri rated it liked it
Still looking for a book to read to students and get them interested in persuasive
paragraphs. They like the idea of being without manners. Ginny is pretty headstrong
and decides her dog does it best. But she decides things aren't greener in the dog's
house with the dog food.
Don't think this book will be good example to kids about saying please and being
polite, but is funny to the readers
Stacy
Nov 24, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacy by: I think I got it from my sister
Shelves: children-s-books
This cute little story has VOICE. You just can not help but read it with a southern drawl.

In this story, Ginny Mae Perkins decides that her dog Rex has a pretty sweet life. No one makes any demands on ol' Rex. She decides to become a dog. A funny story, funny pictures and a great bedtime story!
Alice
Sep 11, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
This a very fun book and I am sure exactly what my parents would say to me if I said I wanted to be a dog. The pictures are good and the story is fun! My co-worker and I laughed through the whole thing. Great book to talk about manners or just a fun book to read!
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Jan 19, 2013 Kelci Cox-Griswold rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book. It has some great voice and expression because it is written with an accent. It could be used to teach kids about manners. It could also be a fun way to teach persuasive writing.
Shelli
May 04, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ginny doesn't understand why her family is always hounding her about manners. The dog doesn't say please, thank you, or has to clean his dog house. Maybe life as a dog would be better?
Lindsay
Sep 23, 2009 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
manners, being polite, family life with a dog
Tami Hernandez
Tami Hernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Abraxasaurus Rex
Abraxasaurus Rex is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Crista Lovelace
Crista Lovelace marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Serena
Serena rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
J4
J4 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Baby Girl
Baby Girl rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Luz
Luz marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Julia
Julia added it
Oct 06, 2015
Raini
Raini rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Mounika
Mounika rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015