Start by marking “Whirlwind (Kate Page, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whirlwind (Kate Page, #1)

Whirlwind (Kate Page #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  352 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
An anguished mother loses her baby in a deadly storm…

A kind stranger helps Jenna Cooper protect her baby boy when a killer tornado rips through a Dallas flea market. But in the aftermath, Jenna can't find her son or the woman who'd been holding him.

A journalist under pressure breaks the story…

Upon discovering the tragedy, reporter and single mom Kate Page, battling for he
Published March 25th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Whirlwind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whirlwind

Cheryl
Apr 06, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Whirlwind is a spectacular, adrenaline, thrilling, edge-of-your seat read! I could not stop reading this book. I was right there for every emotional moment with Jenna and Kate as they rushed to find Jenna's baby boy, Caleb.

Mr. Mofina makes all of his characters come alive. This is why he is one of my top favorite authors of all time. Whenever I pick up a new book from him, I know I should block out time and plan on not doing anything else until I have finished reading. This is what happened wit
Patricia
Mar 16, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Jenna Cooper was shopping at the Old Southern Glory Flea Market. She enjoyed shopping at the flea market and even though her husband Blake had recently gone to work, the time he was laid off put the family in a financial bind. Jenna was bargaining with the owner of one of the stalls. The woman asked Jenna the ages of her little ones. Jenna responded that Cassie was four, almost five, and baby Caleb was five months old. A young woman at the end of the stall commented to Jenna that her little girl ...more
Judie Dooley
Jul 14, 2014 Judie Dooley rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but I was wrong. I loved it.great story line, and exciting believable characters. The whole story seems to be narrated by a woman who is trying to make her way as a news journalist. I had to look back and see that the author was a man. this book has everything--a vicious tornado--a child abduction--murder-mahem-international intreigue and then some. A real page turner.
Jenifer Mohammed
Apr 04, 2014 Jenifer Mohammed rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I enjoyed this well plotted out and exciting story. It wasn't the hard boiled thriller I had expected but I enjoyed reading about Kate and the impact of such a severe tornado on so many different people as well as the exciting subplots re: child abduction and the spillovers from that. Enjoyable read!
Philip
Apr 25, 2014 Philip rated it really liked it
Another fine Rick Mofina read that I enjoyed and found I wanted to keep on reading to what I hoped and sort of expected to be, at least, a semi happy ending. Having said that I don't think I can rate this book as one of Rick's better novels. One of the standout sensations a reader gets from the best Rick Mofina books is how his writing, style or whatever it is, brings an immensely foreboding sense or feeling of an impending, sinister and massive disaster of some kind almost from the first senten ...more
Pamela
Nov 12, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
“Whirlwind” – quite the apt title: Effervescent atmospheric mystery; lightening paced delivery; EF5 suspense; crisp dialog and well-developed diverse characters with just the right amount of back-story to bring the characters to life without curtailing the suspense. Seeing a tornado barreling down on you in an open air flea market would be harrowing enough. Seeing it with your two small children, one in a in a flimsy umbrella stroller, takes harrowing to a whole new level. Seemingly then, anyone ...more
Wendy
Jul 28, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jul-14
Whirlwind is a non-stop, edge of your seat, thrilling ride! The title thoroughly befits the story!
The novel revolves around Kate, a news journalist, and Jenna, a young mother desperately trying to find her baby boy in the aftermath of a vicious tornado.
Enter a paroled convict and his unstable girlfriend, a Russian crime lord, child abduction and murder which lead to fantastic plot twists and page-turning intrigue.
An exciting and interesting cast of characters and a great storyline makes Whirlwi
Jacqui
Mar 11, 2016 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Rick Mofina's "Whirlwind" (Harlequin Mira 2016) looks to be the start of a great new reporter-solves-mystery series starring Kate Page, a struggling single mom on an internship with a major news organization. A string of bad luck has forced her to leave her young daughter with family friends while she spends three weeks in Texas, competing against two other interns for a job on a prominent news organization. What starts out as a human interest story about the devastation a vicious tornado causes ...more
Gloria Feit
Oct 16, 2014 Gloria Feit rated it liked it
The newest tale from Rick Mofina begins and ends with the whirlwind of the title, which, at 260-300 mph, accompanies tornadoes and the chaos they bring. The story begins at a huge flea market in the Texas town of Wildhorse Heights, in the Dallas/Forth Worth area, where the devastating and almost apocalyptic weather terrorizes those trapped in its path. Jenna Cooper is caught there with your baby boy, Caleb, in the aftermath of which she finds that the apparent good Samaritans who offered to assi ...more
Alicia
Mar 15, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book with lots of plot twists. What would you do if you found yourself at a flea market in a parking lot when a tornado is about to touch the ground? In the midst of pushing a stroller with your 5 month old son and clutching the hand of your daughter, you are running towards the only building in sight. A couple you had just recently seen while buying clothes at the market offers to help with your son so you can hold your daughter. You gratefully accept as you can only hope t ...more
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Tornado and baby-a winning reading mix

What would you do if you were out shopping for your baby and all of a sudden a tornado hit and in the middle of the tornado your baby disappears? This is what happens to Jenna Cooper who accepts help from "kindly" strangers in the middle of the tornado and the strangers take off with her child.

Reporter Kate Page is the first to stumble on Jenna's story and, because of past events in her own life, she wants to do her best to help Jenna find little Caleb.

Rick
Tjfox
Nov 24, 2015 Tjfox rated it did not like it
There wasn't much at all that I liked about this book.

The confluence of events in this hits such impossible levels, and so early on, that there is no way to get this to rate much above a good. Starting at only good, you don't have a lot of room to move after that because it isn't going to get better.

There really is no character development going on here, and considering there are loads of people that get point of view mentions, that is kind of sad. All we get out of any of these people is a basi
Jim
Aug 31, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Wow ! Another amazing suspense thriller from author Rick Mofina. "Whirlwind", is the first book in author Rick Mofina's newest series- Kate Page. This first book in series blazed through almost 400 pages at warp speed. Chock full of action and suspense this book was amazingly hard to put down. Author Mofina's newest protagonist, Kate Page is in Dallas trying to cop a job from a three week internship with national agency "Newslead". Fighting against two other interns for one job and only three we ...more
Randy
Mar 07, 2015 Randy rated it it was amazing
Author Rick Mofina give us a racehorse thriller that moves briskly along, never faltering at any point.

Jenna Cooper is caught in a rough tornado in the middle of a flea market with her four year old daughter and five month old son Caleb. A kindly woman helps with the baby as the storm strikes, Caleb's hand slipping from Jenna's. The devastation is horrible with many people killed.

But no sign of Caleb or the helpful woman is found.

Kate Page is a young reporter interning with Newslead, a wire serv
Tom Tischler
Apr 29, 2014 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it
An anguished mother loses her baby in a deadly storm. A
woman helps Jenna Cooper protect her baby when a killer
tornado rips through a Dallas flea market. After the storm
Jenna can't find her baby or the woman who was holding him.
Discovering the story Kate Page a reporter new to Texas and
battling for her career breaks the story. The FBI launches an
investigation while Kate uncovers troubling clues to the trail
of the woman last seen with the baby. She finds clues that
reveal a plot more sinister th
Ray Palen
Jul 09, 2014 Ray Palen rated it it was ok
This novel starts out with a terrifying premise --- especially if you have a baby. Jenna Cooper is at an open air flea market in Dallas when a tornado unexpectedly whips through. She and a helpful stranger shelter her two children from the storm. However, when the dust settles, Jenna Cooper's infant (and the woman who helped them) are gone.

WHIRLWIND could have gone in many directions at this point. Unfortunately, Mofina chose the wrong way. He quickly gives up who the culprits are a few chapters
Christa
Sep 08, 2014 Christa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-arc
Whirlwind is another fantastic book by Rick Mofina! This book is a good example of why he is a must read author for me. The fast-paced action filled thriller kept me on the edge of my seat, and what a ride! It is one of those books that makes it hard to catch your breath because the suspense and action are so electrifying. I loved the characters, thought the storyline couldn't have been better, and believe that the settings were perfect for the intense, exhilarating events in the story

Jenna Coop
Sue Kelso
May 20, 2014 Sue Kelso rated it liked it
I enjoy Rick Mofina's books. I find the writing to be rather simplistic but the plots are engrossing.

Jenna Cooper is shopping at a flea market in Dallas when a tornado hits. A young couple leads her and her two children to a safer area in the big pavilion. Jenna is knocked out by flying debris and when she awakes, her five month old baby is gone.

Kate Page is a reporter covering the story. She comes across Jenna and vows to cover her story until the baby is found. Alive or Dead.

Enter a horrible
Stuart Macmartin
Jun 04, 2016 Stuart Macmartin rated it really liked it
Not my normal genre. Good change of pace. Strong plot. Sometimes predictable, sometimes not. I don't tend to like books with lots of viewpoints, but this gets to the heart of each person quickly and effectively, and all feel like real people, no caricatures. Despite a simple style. Easy, fast, breezy read. Once at 60% I didn't put it down. Toying between 3 and 4 stars but capturing be in the back half of the book is enough to bump it up - but it's really 3.5. I like the main character and will r ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 08, 2014 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it really liked it
4 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

A young mother trying to save money is at a flea market when a deadly storm hits and her baby is taken away from her...A young couple is on the run with a baby but soon find out that more than the police are looking for them...Kate Page is a single mother working as intern in the hopes of getting a steady job as a reporter. One way to ensure she wins the intern race she has to find Caleb Cooper and what happened.

I staye
Mallory Heart Reviews
Heart-stopping from nearly the first page, this exciting thriller stampedes at the pace and implacabiity of an onrushing, inescapable tornado.Talk of can't-put-down page-turners, here it is, the newest in author Rick Mofina's reporter Kate Page series.
Susan Moore
Feb 11, 2015 Susan Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery, action w/tornados, killings, and kidnapping.

The main character has great qualities as a person and as a journalist. There are a lot of ups and downs. I hope there is a sequel because I would like to see her dreams come true.
Joan M Erickson
Feb 08, 2015 Joan M Erickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Real PAge Turner

All the elements are present to keep one reading. The story events are hair-raising, but the characters' responses are the real story. Glad Kate has something to look forward to and the lady editor got hers too,
Karen Hannah
Feb 08, 2015 Karen Hannah rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, that I actually read on holiday. A great story, how everything comes together. Fast paced easy read, I can't usually read on holiday. I have read several novels by Mofina, and so far have liked them all. I would recommend.
Peggy
Dec 24, 2015 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, canadian
A thriller featuring reporter Kate Page. It's well constructed, with several intersecting plotlines, all to do with babies. There is LOTS of action, including tornadoes, and various illegal acts. An easy read, moves at a good clip.

Julie
Feb 13, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing!

The book was great from beginning to end. The writing was very good and the story kept your attention. The plot was believable and the characters were also. All in all a fine way to spend some time reading.
Kelly
Jul 08, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I received this through a Goodreads giveaway. And so glad I did! This book was a complete roller coaster ride from start to finish. A baby goes missing after a tornado and a reporter works with FBI to find the missing child. There's suspense from beginning to end. Loved the characters and the plot. Great summer read!
Bridget
Not going to rate this, since I didn't finish reading the book. I thought this was going to be a good series, but just cannot deal with this whiner woman character. All the women editors have it in for her. Sure. Nope.
Barbara Andrews
Jan 31, 2015 Barbara Andrews rated it really liked it
A very good read. Story is current and shows how tense and terrifying things can get in the face of diaster and sometimes what you fear is only the beginning things can get alot worse. Want to read more from author Rick Mofina.
Toni
Jul 14, 2016 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It started on a roll with a tornado and the aftermath with a mother looking for her missing baby. Enter single mom and journalist Kate, who is covering the story and sympathizes with the distraught mother. From there the story is full of suspense, pressure and life and death situations. Full of action with the FBI, police departments and SWAT, as well as Kate as they search for clues.
  • You're Not Safe (Texas Rangers, #3)
  • Ride the Lightning: A Crime Novel
  • City of Rose (Ash McKenna, #2)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • No Mallets Intended (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #4)
  • Skinjob
  • A Dog Gone Murder: Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper
  • Shutter Man
  • Murder Gone A-Rye (A Baker's Treat, #2)
  • Among Thieves: A Novel
  • Deadly Ruse (Mac McClellan #2)
  • The Watcher in the Wall (Stevens & Windermere, #5)
  • Hollow Man
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery #10)
  • Cold Hearted
  • The Fraud (Carter Ross, #6)
  • The Kill Order  (Sydney Fitzpatrick #5)
  • A Roux of Revenge (Soup Lover's Mystery, #3)
Rick Mofina is a former journalist and an award-winning author of several acclaimed thrillers. His reporting has put him face-to-face with murderers on death row in Montana and Texas. He has covered a horrific serial-killing case in California and an armored car-heist in Las Vegas, flown over Los Angeles with the LAPD Air Support Division and gone on patrol with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police n ...more
More about Rick Mofina...

Kate Page (4 books)
  • Full Tilt (Kate Page, #2)
  • Every Second (Kate Page, #3)
  • Free Fall (Kate Page, #4)