Start by marking “Portrait of a Scandal” as Want to Read:
Portrait of a Scandal

Portrait of a Scandal

HE HAS TAKEN HER TO HEAVEN, HELL AND BACK AGAIN…

Her heart and hope long since shattered, Amethyst Dalby is content with her life as an independent woman. With wealth of her own, and no one to answer to, she is free to live as she pleases.

Until a trip to Paris throws her into contact with the one man who still has a hold over her—the bitter but still devastatingly sensual
Published January 21st 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of a Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of a Scandal

Rane

Once in awhile I enjoyed some plain brain candy. 'Portrait of a Scandal" was pretty much candy from start to finish. Predicable enough it was the reunited sweethearts theme that drew me to this book to begin with.
Once madly in love with the other, Lord Nathan Harcourt broke it off when a rumor reaches his ears that Amethyst Dalby is not all she appears to be. From that sudden drop, Amethyst pain and hurt becomes full blown man-hate which was nurtured by her wealthy aunt who passed everything t
Ruth
Jan 20, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
This one, provided by the publisher through netgalley, was a complete surprise to me. I'm not a huge fan of the lovers-from-the-past-who-get-back-together trope. I always find it a bit uninspiring, and a bit too angsty. Why don't they just walk away and get on with their lives, for heaven's sake? So, really for this trope to work for me, it's got to have something else going for it, quite frankly.

This one had two fabulous characters combined with lovely writing which made me (almost) forget that
Farrah
Nov 30, 2013 Farrah rated it liked it
A lovely historical romance. Portrait of Scandal was an enjoyable read. I had my issues with it, but I still liked it.

Amethyst and Nathan were sweethearts years ago and they had intended to get married. Until Nathan's father decided that he didn't approve of the marriage and crafted a series of lies sent through the perfect vessel (one of Nathans' closest and most trusted friends) to ruin the relationship. Nathan believed them, left Amethyst, and ended up marrying someone else. Amethyst was left
Wendy
Jan 08, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Amethyst Dalby and Nathan Harcourt had met and fallen in love 10 years previously. Through a series of misunderstandings and some deliberate meddling on the part of Nathan's Father, they had parted acrimoniously. Their lives in the ten years following had not been happy, each blaming the other for their misfortunes. As a result they had both become embittered, particularly Amethyst who had turned into a prickly, shrewish, man hating woman.

I enjoy Annie Burrows' beautifully written, romantic nove
Angel
Dec 21, 2013 Angel rated it really liked it
I think Portrait of a Scandal may have been my first Harlequin Historical, and I very much enjoyed it. I selected this book because it takes place in Paris and it’s about an artist.

Amethyst travels to Paris to make some business connections. She’s a wealthy, independent, single businesswoman, thanks to an aunt who trained her then left her business to her. Amethyst was a disappointment to her family because she didn’t marry well. She fell in love with a man who rejected her and then lost intere
Kelly
This review also appears on Reading with Analysis.

After I read this book, I just didn’t know what to say about it. I loved the first half (it had all these fantastic elements including a wealthy businesswoman heroine who is in control of her own life -- !! -- and a disapproving Frenchman and a comedy of errors plot.), but it felt as though the second half abruptly returned to 'typical historical romance novel' form.

There were quite a few things that I liked about the book, particularly that th
Wrathsqueen
My blog review of Portrait of a Scandal-

Harlequin Books
"Burrows' newest, a tale of lovers meeting again a decade after their scandalous affair, hits the right notes." RT Book Reviews
SuperWendy
Feb 01, 2014 SuperWendy rated it liked it
Slow beginning, great middle, but the tacked on conflict at the end was disappointing. Loved the Paris setting, the heroine with a head for business, and that the hero was a "lowly" fourth son.
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Karen LoBosco
Karen LoBosco rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Gail
This was not so much about a scandal as about healing wounds of the past. A very good read.
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Aerol
Aerol rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Rosemary Plonka
Rosemary Plonka rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Sri Murdiati Rin Permata Sari
Sri Murdiati Rin Permata Sari rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Natalia
Natalia rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Gelena Bo
Gelena Bo rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Radia
Radia rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Hollis Martin
Hollis Martin rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Rida
Aug 14, 2014 Rida rated it it was ok
Typical story.
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Bhaskaryya Deka
Bhaskaryya Deka rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Rkilroy88
Rkilroy88 rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Rima Dasgupta
Rima Dasgupta rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
  • Salvation in the Rancher's Arms (Salvation Falls, #1)
  • Unveiling Lady Clare (Knights of Champagne #2)
  • Never Trust a Rebel
  • Bride by Mail (Wild West Weddings #1)
  • One Illicit Night (Wellinghams, #3)
  • A Debt Paid in Marriage (Business of Marriage #1)
  • Never Forget Me
  • The Taming of the Rogue
  • Captured for the Captain's Pleasure
  • Running Wolf
  • Unlacing Lady Thea
  • Welcome to Wyoming (Mail-Order Weddings, #2)
  • The Gunslinger and the Heiress (Heroes of San Diego #2)
  • Sequins and Spurs
  • Secrets of a Gentleman Escort (Rakes Who Make Husbands Jealous #1)
  • Falling for Her Captor
  • Mistress to the Marquis
  • Captive of the Border Lord (Brunson Clan Trilogy #2)
I've been published by Mills & Boon since 2007..but I'd been making up stories in my head for as long as I can remember. It was a long walk home from school, and there were no ipods in those days to keep you amused! When I wasn't daydreaming, I had my nose stuck in a book. My parents used to take me to the library every Saturday, until I was old enough to get there on my own, and my house was ...more
More about Annie Burrows...