Start by marking “Close Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Close Pursuit

Close Pursuit (Doctors Unlimited #1)

On the run and under fire…

Providing medical relief in a war-torn region helps Alex Peters forget his past and focus on the job—delivering babies. Less easy to overlook is his blonde comrade-at-arms, who knows nothing of the trouble he's running from. Katie McCloud makes the assignment bearable, although her perky innocence proves to be an arousing distraction. Then, as com
Published February 25th 2014 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Close Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Pursuit

Katherine 黄爱芬
4.5 stars for this book!!!!

Setelah lama tidak membaca genre buku dikejar-kejar dan tembak-tembakan dgn musuh, akhirnya saya mendapatkan kebahagiaan tidak terhingga dari buku ini. Dari awal cerita sampai akhir, kita disuguhi dgn alur cepat, penuh kejar-kejaran, taktik kecerdasan dan kecerdikan utk meloloskan diri, dan baku hantam layaknya di film-film action, buku ini jelas-jelas sangat menghibur saya (dan saya tidak menduganya karena label Harlequin).

Diawali kisah persembunyian di gunung di ne
Lynn Spencer
Mar 21, 2014 Lynn Spencer rated it liked it
Have you ever read a book that works in one category but not another? That was my primary issue with Close Pursuit. Cindy Dees' latest suspense novel requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but works quite well as a thriller. Well enough that I often pictured it as an action movie as I read. However, as with many action movies, the romance just felt tacked on and more than a bit out of place at times.

The opening of this book requires that suspension of disbelief that I just mentioned. After
Mar 14, 2016 Patrice rated it really liked it
I won this book in one of the Goodreads giveaways. I appreciate the opportunity to read this book through the giveaway. This is a Harlequin HQN Romantic Suspense book. Warning: there are some pretty steamy sex scenes throughout the book. The suspense part of the book is a really good espionage story. Then there is the attraction between the two main characters; Dr. Alex Peters and kindergarten teacher Katie McCloud. They each grew up in an environment of military/law enforcement backgrounds. The ...more
Aug 17, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5/5

Do you like intrigue?
Can you handle danger around every corner?
What about suspense that has you holding your breath?

Then Close Pursuit may be the book for you.

Here we meet Katie McCloud. A kindergarten teacher sent on a humanitarian aid mission to the remote lands of Zaghastan to work as a translator for a group called Doctors Unlimited. She is paired with a handsome but quiet doctor named Alex Peters and they are sent to give medical aid to the expecting women of the local tribes.
Oct 16, 2016 Win rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
suka novel ini wlau byk plot hole yg masih bikin bertanya2 tp mgkn tar ada jawabannya di buku 2.

Bbrp point yg buat gw mikir...
1. pertama gw curiga bgt dengan DU, terutama pemimpinnya tapi mendekati ending Fortiney yg berperan besar nolongi alex, katie and dawn
2. ayah kandung dawn. apa benar mafia ukraina? lagi2 semoga dijelasin di buku 2
3. karekter peter yg digambarin seolah2 sangat licik, arogan gw masih tetap yakin dia punya secuil rasa sayang ke alex

Bbrp point yg buat gw kesal...
1. b
Margreet Asselbergs
Feb 25, 2014 Margreet Asselbergs rated it really liked it

My rating: 4 of 5

When she set out with Doctors Unlimited as a translator on a humanitarian mission, Katie McCloud knew she was heading into a dangerous area. With most of her family involved in either law inforcement, the military or intelligence, her job as a kindergarten teacher seemed bland and she had wanted to expand on her experience. Expand she did, under fire and with a newborn baby tucked in her coat she was running for her life....along with her
Mar 15, 2014 Lindy rated it liked it
My Thoughts:

Close Pursuit was an interesting story, and very well-written, but it just wasn't for me. The story dragged, and I found myself having to put it down several times to take little breaks from it. I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of action, suspense, and plot twists. However, I felt like there was too much going on, and I found myself lost and confused throughout the story.

I loved Katie McCloud's character. She was determined, sweet, caring, and very likable. However, I did not
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Close Pursuit is a very good book, full of action, suspense, and romance. It’s the story of Katie McCloud and Alex Peters. Katie, a kindergarten teacher, is in between jobs and decides to work as a translator for Doctors Unlimited which is an International Aid Organization. Alex Peters is the doctor she is translating for. They are working in Zaghastan which is deep in the mountains of Hindu Kush. Katie grew up in a family of military and law enforcement guys. Alex grew up as the son of a Russia ...more
Feb 22, 2014 Jo-Anne rated it it was ok
Alex Peters and Katie McCloud belong to a volunteer organization that sends them to distant countries to help women in crisis by delivering their babies. Katie is a kindergarten teacher and Alex is the son of an infamous Russian spy so their lives are very different. While in the small country, they are running for their lives as attempts are made to kill them. And they don't know if their attackers are Russian or American.

I found that Close Pursuit was not an easy read and the plot was difficul
Dec 22, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
I received a free copy through Goodreads.
I would give this book 3 stars.

Who knew being in a war torn country would lead to romance between Alex and Katie? The chemistry between the two is unmistakable and with danger at every turn, the thrill of the hunt is always there.

I enjoyed reading about Alex and his background story. We really get to see how and why he became the person he is today. However, personality wise, I think that sometimes he is too cold and a bit of an ass. It's interesting t
Jan 09, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Danger, spies, coercion, high speed chases, flashy cars, and a baby?

When Alex Peters and Katie McCloud volunteered to travel halfway around the world to help women in crisis by delivering their babies, neither of them expected to end up on the run with a newborn. After calling in favors to high ranking officials in the FSB and CIA, they finally make it back to the United States where they hope they can escape the people trying to kill them. The problem is that they don’t know who is after them
May 26, 2014 Rflutist rated it it was amazing
I may be a bit biased in my review, so let's state the reason of that bias up front: I felt attached to the plot line of this book, based upon my studies of Afghanistan/Pakistan/India and the remote location of the setting of the opening of this novel.

Despite my inherent bias, however, Cindy Dees employed some clever plot twists with respect to the main male character, Alex. I'll leave it to readers to make a judgment call on this but I thought, "Well done!"

Romantic stories (especially Harlequin
Mar 04, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I truly enjoyed this book! The action and suspense never ceased. this is the first time I've read a book by this particular author, why the style of her writing is so intriguing, and suspenseful, I would be more than willing to pick up another book of hers and hopefully soon. I love the way the main characters interacted, and I loved how she portrayed the heroine as and intuitively intelligent person, whom the hero mistakenly took as an undercover agent. She made the characters strong and smart, ...more
Harlequin Books
"Dees blends action and intrigue in this character-driven romance with deft skill, keeping readers enthralled until the final secret is re veiled and the last chase winds down. Her fictional war zone is minutely detailed, and the dangers surrounding her characters feel dangerously real. Most impressive of all is in her deeply conflicted and enigmatic hero, whose background and personal scars combine to make him a mystery, even to himself. His development, and growing desire for the plucky heroin ...more
Mar 19, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it
Close Pursuit started with a very unlikely premise: a kindergarten teacher who was sent into a war torn country to serve as an interpreter. Once the story moved into the US, it became much more plausible. The interaction between the characters was fun except for Alex's determined suspicion that Katie was a C.I.A. agent when she really never gave any indication that she was more than a smart woman. Otherwise, I really liked this book. The romance was in the forefront of the story throughout, a go ...more
Mar 14, 2014 Irene rated it liked it
Reminiscent of an action novel and a romance novel, Close Pursuit reminds me a cross between Jason Bourne and 50 Shades of Gray. It's a quick read and by the time I hit the last 50 pages or so, I was burning through the book to find out how everything would end!

No summary included because I'm sure others will include it in their reviews, but this is definitely a "relaxing by the pool/beach, on vacation" type of read.

This book saved me while I had to serve Jury Duty all week last week. Thanks to
Sep 08, 2014 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
Close Pursuit combines suspense and romance into a riveting novel. Kindergarten teacher Katie McCloud goes on a mission to help deliver babies in a war torn country and meets and assists Dr. Alex Peters. Soon the two are on the run from danger, and even when they leave the country, it follows them. It is a fast paced journey to the conclusion of the story. I really enjoyed the mixture of action, developing romance, and steamy chemistry.

Jul 20, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it
Have to say that when there is adventure, sexy men and espionage Cindy Dees sure knows to pack it in a great book. I loved that Alex Peters is not who he is but something dangerous and sexy. Katie is everything he needs in his life to stay balanced even when he denies it. Cindy Dees threw every obstacle to them and like a champion Alex protected what was his. Sex, love and action were all through this book making it worth reading.

Cyndi Delia
Aug 10, 2016 Cyndi Delia rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of this book for an honest review.

I love Ms. Dees' books. She writes some of the best RS books around. I was happy to see she finally had a full sized book(well deserved and long over due)

Close Pursuit has it all- passion, fast paced action, snappy dialogue and great characters(in fact her heroines are always some of favorites- not that heroes are yummy too).

Mar 25, 2015 CLM rated it it was ok
A fast-paced suspenseful read but the plot is absurd and requires more suspension of disbelief than I am capable of. In addition, the hero is creepy and speaks in stilted or crude sentences, as if he is two different characters.
Mar 09, 2014 Sheelah rated it liked it
This book had a plot that moved along well and we got to know the characters. Not overly my type of book, but if you like Harlequin books, you will like this book
Janet Robel
Jan 09, 2015 Janet Robel rated it really liked it
This was a roller coaster of a ride! I had my own adrenaline rush while reading this. A definite page turner. You just never knew what was going to happen next.
Sheila rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Britney rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Mel rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Kristy rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Mar 26, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Toni rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Carolyn Minke-Smith
Carolyn Minke-Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Atonement (Beartooth, Montana, #4)
  • Hot on the Hunt (ICE: Black Ops Defenders #3)
  • Primal Instinct
  • Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)
  • Larkspur Road (Lonesome Way #2)
  • The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)
  • Midnight Fire (Men of Midnight, #4)
  • Running Fire (Shadow Warriors, #8)
  • Hot as Hell (Deep Six 0.5)
  • The Protector (Taskforce, #1)
  • Clean Lines (Cedar Tree #4)
  • Protector (Dark Ops, #4)
  • Midnight Revenge (Killer Instincts, #7)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Naturally Bug-Free
  • Falling Hard (Bad Boys Undercover, #2)
  • Edge of Danger (Deadly Ops, #4)
Cindy Dees started flying airplanes while sitting in her dad’s lap at the age of three and got a pilot’s license before she got a driver’s license. At age fifteen, she dropped out of high school and left the horse farm in Michigan where she grew up to attend the University of Michigan.

After earning a degree in Russian and East European studies, she joined the U.S. Air Force and became the youngest
More about Cindy Dees...

Doctors Unlimited (2 books)
  • Hot Intent