Start by marking “Close Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Close Pursuit

Close Pursuit (Doctors Unlimited #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  21 reviews
On the run and under fire…

Providing medical relief in a war-torn region helps Alex Peters forget his past and focus on the job—delivering babies. Less easy to overlook is his blonde comrade-at-arms, who knows nothing of the trouble he's running from. Katie McCloud makes the assignment bearable, although her perky innocence proves to be an arousing distraction. Then, as com
Published February 25th 2014 by Harlequin HQN (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Close Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Pursuit

Lynn Spencer
Have you ever read a book that works in one category but not another? That was my primary issue with Close Pursuit. Cindy Dees' latest suspense novel requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but works quite well as a thriller. Well enough that I often pictured it as an action movie as I read. However, as with many action movies, the romance just felt tacked on and more than a bit out of place at times.

The opening of this book requires that suspension of disbelief that I just mentioned. After
Patrice
I won this book in one of the Goodreads giveaways. I appreciate the opportunity to read this book through the giveaway. This is a Harlequin HQN Romantic Suspense book. Warning: there are some pretty steamy sex scenes throughout the book. The suspense part of the book is a really good espionage story. Then there is the attraction between the two main characters; Dr. Alex Peters and kindergarten teacher Katie McCloud. They each grew up in an environment of military/law enforcement backgrounds. The ...more
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Close Pursuit is a very good book, full of action, suspense, and romance. It’s the story of Katie McCloud and Alex Peters. Katie, a kindergarten teacher, is in between jobs and decides to work as a translator for Doctors Unlimited which is an International Aid Organization. Alex Peters is the doctor she is translating for. They are working in Zaghastan which is deep in the mountains of Hindu Kush. Katie grew up in a family of military and law enforcement guys. Alex grew up as the son of a Russia ...more
Margreet Asselbergs

My rating: 4 of 5 ⭐️

When she set out with Doctors Unlimited as a translator on a humanitarian mission, Katie McCloud knew she was heading into a dangerous area. With most of her family involved in either law inforcement, the military or intelligence, her job as a kindergarten teacher seemed bland and she had wanted to expand on her experience. Expand she did, under fire and with a newborn baby tucked in her coat she was running for her life....along with h
Jo-Anne
Alex Peters and Katie McCloud belong to a volunteer organization that sends them to distant countries to help women in crisis by delivering their babies. Katie is a kindergarten teacher and Alex is the son of an infamous Russian spy so their lives are very different. While in the small country, they are running for their lives as attempts are made to kill them. And they don't know if their attackers are Russian or American.

I found that Close Pursuit was not an easy read and the plot was difficul
Lindy
My Thoughts:

Close Pursuit was an interesting story, and very well-written, but it just wasn't for me. The story dragged, and I found myself having to put it down several times to take little breaks from it. I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of action, suspense, and plot twists. However, I felt like there was too much going on, and I found myself lost and confused throughout the story.

I loved Katie McCloud's character. She was determined, sweet, caring, and very likable. However, I did not
Rflutist
I may be a bit biased in my review, so let's state the reason of that bias up front: I felt attached to the plot line of this book, based upon my studies of Afghanistan/Pakistan/India and the remote location of the setting of the opening of this novel.

Despite my inherent bias, however, Cindy Dees employed some clever plot twists with respect to the main male character, Alex. I'll leave it to readers to make a judgment call on this but I thought, "Well done!"

Romantic stories (especially Harlequin
Elizabeth
Rating: 3.5/5

Do you like intrigue?
Can you handle danger around every corner?
What about suspense that has you holding your breath?

Then Close Pursuit may be the book for you.

Here we meet Katie McCloud. A kindergarten teacher sent on a humanitarian aid mission to the remote lands of Zaghastan to work as a translator for a group called Doctors Unlimited. She is paired with a handsome but quiet doctor named Alex Peters and they are sent to give medical aid to the expecting women of the local tribes.
Hannah
I won this in a First Reads promotion. Thank you!
In Hot Pursuit, Cindy Dees delivers an action-packed romantic suspense novel set in fictional war-torn Zugahstan. Katie McCloud, an elementary school teacher who wants adventure in a foreign land, and Alex Peters, a mathematician turned obstetrician, work together for humanitarian ends. The physician has a secret past and is emotionally wounded. The relationship develops under the most dangerous circumstances. Snappy dialogue and effective descri
Irene
Reminiscent of an action novel and a romance novel, Close Pursuit reminds me a cross between Jason Bourne and 50 Shades of Gray. It's a quick read and by the time I hit the last 50 pages or so, I was burning through the book to find out how everything would end!

No summary included because I'm sure others will include it in their reviews, but this is definitely a "relaxing by the pool/beach, on vacation" type of read.

This book saved me while I had to serve Jury Duty all week last week. Thanks to
Danger, spies, coercion, high speed chases, flashy cars, and a baby?

When Alex Peters and Katie McCloud volunteered to travel halfway around the world to help women in crisis by delivering their babies, neither of them expected to end up on the run with a newborn. After calling in favors to high ranking officials in the FSB and CIA, they finally make it back to the United States where they hope they can escape the people trying to kill them. The problem is that they don’t know who is after them
Melinda
I received a free copy through Goodreads.
---
I would give this book 3 stars.

Who knew being in a war torn country would lead to romance between Alex and Katie? The chemistry between the two is unmistakable and with danger at every turn, the thrill of the hunt is always there.

I enjoyed reading about Alex and his background story. We really get to see how and why he became the person he is today. However, personality wise, I think that sometimes he is too cold and a bit of an ass. It's interesting t
Maria
I truly enjoyed this book! The action and suspense never ceased. this is the first time I've read a book by this particular author, why the style of her writing is so intriguing, and suspenseful, I would be more than willing to pick up another book of hers and hopefully soon. I love the way the main characters interacted, and I loved how she portrayed the heroine as and intuitively intelligent person, whom the hero mistakenly took as an undercover agent. She made the characters strong and smart, ...more
Sheelah
This book had a plot that moved along well and we got to know the characters. Not overly my type of book, but if you like Harlequin books, you will like this book
Janet Robel
This was a roller coaster of a ride! I had my own adrenaline rush while reading this. A definite page turner. You just never knew what was going to happen next.
Harlequin Books
"Dees blends action and intrigue in this character-driven romance with deft skill, keeping readers enthralled until the final secret is re veiled and the last chase winds down. Her fictional war zone is minutely detailed, and the dangers surrounding her characters feel dangerously real. Most impressive of all is in her deeply conflicted and enigmatic hero, whose background and personal scars combine to make him a mystery, even to himself. His development, and growing desire for the plucky heroin ...more
Melinda
Have to say that when there is adventure, sexy men and espionage Cindy Dees sure knows to pack it in a great book. I loved that Alex Peters is not who he is but something dangerous and sexy. Katie is everything he needs in his life to stay balanced even when he denies it. Cindy Dees threw every obstacle to them and like a champion Alex protected what was his. Sex, love and action were all through this book making it worth reading.

MORE @ http://melenasreviews.wordpress.com
Mandy saial
A nice quick read filled withsuspence , romance and lots of emotion.
Christa
Close Pursuit combines suspense and romance into a riveting novel. Kindergarten teacher Katie McCloud goes on a mission to help deliver babies in a war torn country and meets and assists Dr. Alex Peters. Soon the two are on the run from danger, and even when they leave the country, it follows them. It is a fast paced journey to the conclusion of the story. I really enjoyed the mixture of action, developing romance, and steamy chemistry.

Cyndi Delia
I read an ARC of this book for an honest review.

I love Ms. Dees' books. She writes some of the best RS books around. I was happy to see she finally had a full sized book(well deserved and long over due)

Close Pursuit has it all- passion, fast paced action, snappy dialogue and great characters(in fact her heroines are always some of favorites- not that heroes are yummy too).

Shirley Cochran
Good story but a bit too graphic for my tastes.
April Blaine
April Blaine marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Sulagna
Sulagna marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Atonement (Beartooth, Montana, #4)
  • Extreme Measures (Aegis, #1)
  • Primal Instinct
  • Night Whispers (ShadowLands, #1)
  • Where Evil Waits (Mann Family, #2)
  • Hot on the Hunt (ICE: Black Ops Defenders #3)
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Pine Mountain, #3)
  • The Trident Deception
  • Cold Pursuit (Cold Justice, #2)
  • Code of Silence (Seal Team 12, #7.5)
  • Against the Wall (High Stakes, #1)
  • The Trouble With Honor (The Cabot Sisters, #1)
  • Trust in Time
  • Four Weddings and a Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #5)
  • Larkspur Road (Lonesome Way #2)
  • Midnight Vengeance (Midnight, #4)
  • Unnoticed and Untouched
  • Tennessee Takedown
Cindy Dees started flying airplanes while sitting in her dad’s lap at the age of three and got a pilot’s license before she got a driver’s license. At age fifteen, she dropped out of high school and left the horse farm in Michigan where she grew up to attend the University of Michigan.

After earning a degree in Russian and East European studies, she joined the U.S. Air Force and became the youngest
More about Cindy Dees...

Doctors Unlimited (2 books)
  • Hot Intent
Femme Fatale (Hard Bodies, #1) Light This Candle The Medusa Project (Medusa Project #1) The Slayer (Time Raiders #2) The Medusa Prophecy (Medusa Project #4)