Start by marking “These Lying Eyes” as Want to Read:
These Lying Eyes

These Lying Eyes

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
How can the truest friends you’ve ever had be a curse?

Perhaps when you’re the only one who can see them.

But when the unseen world forces its way into Mina Roth’s life, she is forced to trust herself as never before. With an old friend, her lifelong companions, and a newly discovered faith in herself, Mina uncovers a hidden world and makes some startling discoveries about
Published July 25th 2013 by SJ Cavalier Books

To ask other readers questions about These Lying Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Lying Eyes

Amanda Allen
Jul 26, 2013 Amanda Allen added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm not gonna rate my own book. But you know. You should totally read it. :)
Kristyn Morgan
Jul 29, 2013 Kristyn Morgan rated it it was amazing
A great first book in what I hope is a trilogy at least. It's got everything I love about YA fiction: first love, the underdog heroine, and mystery. The author does a fantastic job of painting a vivid picture of the setting as well as Mina's (the main character) point of view. Can't wait to read more.
Kristi Davis
Jul 29, 2013 Kristi Davis rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book last night and I loved it. The characters feel like they are my friends and I found myself rooting for them. This book transported me into a world other than my own, which is something I definitely look for in a good book.
I usually prefer to read YA novels because I don't want to worry about running into excessive bad language, gory violence, or overly sexual situations. I thought this book was wonderfully interesting for an adult, but without all of those other things
Karlie
Jul 26, 2013 Karlie rated it really liked it
Magically delicious!

After her lonely and miserable middle school years, Mina is anxious about starting high school. Her only companions are 3 fiercely loyal sprites, “beloved imaginary friends who should have faded long ago,” that only she can see – or so she thinks.

Mina is a spunky red-head that I loved the moment she swiped her older sister’s scooter to drive to school when her jerk of an older brother left her behind to ride the bus. When Mina’s love interest, Max, speaks to her for the fir
Terry Allen
Jul 31, 2013 Terry Allen rated it it was amazing
A great srtory of young adult fantasy, with out the blood and gore that normally is associated with this genre. From the first few pages, the author grabs your attention and doesn't let go. The suspense doesn't let up, you will find yourself rooting for Max and Mina as they traipse through the Cascade forests to find evil forces that threaten Mina's family. This is the kind of book you cannot put down, leaving you hungering for the sequel, any time Amanda!!
Aug 31, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Sprites!

All I can really say is wow. I was sucked in right from the beginning. This was a different take on the hidden world. It told a story and had romance without sex! lol, and it didn't take away from the story. This is a great book to read over a weekend and if the kids get a hold of it.... other than they might read a story you don't have to worry about them. I look forward to the next book by Amanda Allen.
Sara
Aug 12, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Holy Shiz- what a fun first novel! The author's great personality really shines through. From the first few pages, we are immediately introduced to the fantasy world of 15 yr. old Mina and her three "imaginary" friends who happen to be sprites. Mina comes from a large family (with triplets too) and a large extended family, but she is ostracized by most of them at school because of her strange behavior. We as readers want to champion her as the underdog and cheer her on when her childhood friend ...more
Ally
Feb 02, 2014 Ally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.

Hmm... There's a lot of things I can say about this. Hmm... Let's summarize this book.

It's about witches, sprites, and Fae. These Lying Eyes have them all. Witches, sprites, and Fae in one book. Reminds me of some books with these combo along with vampires, werewolves, and a whole bunch of other paranormal communities.

Anyway, These Lying Eyes is a sort-of okay book. I neither hated it or liked it, which is why this will be a book of three out of five (semi
Auburn Seal
Jul 26, 2013 Auburn Seal rated it it was amazing
These Lying Eyes is such a fun book to read. I fell in love with the characters and couldn't wait to find out was going to happen to Mina. Allen created a fascinating story world and the plot was exciting and fast-paced. Fun and clean, you should share this YA fantasy with everyone!
Slacker
Jul 27, 2013 Slacker rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading
Loved it. Cant wait for more. Another set of books that I swim through and then have to wait too long for the next piece.
Emily
Jul 29, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
I didn't want to put it down! The main character was real and the suspense was vivid! Great novel and I can't wait to read more!!
Carie
May 25, 2014 Carie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Yay!

This book seemed to be aimed at a younger audience--it’s probably more of a Middle Grade read, but I enjoyed it. I think I probably would have rated it a little higher before the ending, which I thought was rushed and confusing and failed to give good explanations or wrap up much of anything :( I really didn't care for the ending, except for (view spoiler). And I was surprised about (view spo
Wendy C
Jan 27, 2014 Wendy C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These Lying Eyes by Amanda Allen

These Lying Eyes by Amanda Allen we are introduced to Mina and her “three friends”, Zizi, Poppy, and Hitch. They have been friends since childhood; however Mina believes they are imaginary even though they are not. Mina’s life has been lonely except for her sprite friends and she is worried because she is starting High school and she doesn’t want a repeat of her miserable middle school days.

Mina’s brother, Erik, was supposed to drive her to school on the first day
Oct 02, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Amanda Allen I LOVE YOUR BOOK!!! I completely fell in love with Mina. I want to slap her parents!! I love the creepy part of the super close family but someone among them might be evil! I love Max. I love Mina's loyalty to her sister even at the risk of her own life. I was so glad Grace turned out to be one adult she could trust. I want my own sprite!! The end was good, not too abrupt, but I want more. Book 2 better be coming or I may have to resort to torture techniques like bamboo under the fi ...more
Pamela
Aug 01, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful first novel from Amanda A. Allen. This was a very engaging read. I really loved Mina, Max and so many of the secondary characters, including the sprites. It has everything I love in a book. It's got magic, mystery and even a bit of romance, yet is appropriate for all ages. It's a true coming of age story that any teen or adult can love. I can only hope I won't have to wait too long for the sequel!
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Marina Egbers
Marina Egbers marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Strina K
Strina K rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Samantha Van Patten
Samantha Van Patten rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Jenness
Jenness marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Aug 29, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
C.
C. rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Naailah Patel
Naailah Patel marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 07:21AM
What was your favorite part of Mina's story? 2 5 Jul 30, 2013 10:08AM
  • A Beauty So Beastly (Blood and Snow, #24) (Beastly, #1)
  • Death Screams (Death, #4)
  • Wolfsbane (Rebel Angels, #3)
  • Men to Die For
  • Torn (Fire Born #2)
  • Wish You Weren't
  • The Unraveling (The Luminated Threads, #1)
  • The Haunting of Willow Tree Court
  • Seasons of Seduction II (Protective Affairs, #1)
  • Daughters of Artemis
  • Pieces of Why
  • Anna
  • The Vampire Code (Fiscard Vampires, #1)
  • Alice in No-Man's-Land
  • Alex Finch: Monster Hunter (The Monster Files, Book 1)
  • Possess Me (Bone Daddy, #1)
  • Wild Sky (Night Sky, #2)
  • Across the Galaxy
7190911
Amanda A. Allen dabbles in all kinds of paranormal stories. She is one of the voices behind the Inept Witches series as well one of the authors of the Kendawyn Paranormal Regencies. Her works also include These Lying Eyes and Song of Sorrow as well as the upcoming Snow White and Haunted Wonderland.

Amanda A. Allen has been telling herself stories since she was a small child. Some of these stories a
More about Amanda A. Allen...